Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 15
Re: Anyone else tired of the whiners?
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 30, 2012 15:00

Witness
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
... not ONE positive thing to say about your supposedly favourite band - THEN you're a whiner, and there are a few of them around, mind you smiling smiley

Well yes, there might 2 or 3 of of them, but there's more folks here who are always praising the band - and you don't see them being "called out" for being "blind belivers"....or whatever expression that would be the opposite of "whiners" . Problem is that some of the always positive guys here passes off all complaints/opinions as "whining". Maybe an easy way to label things that doesn't go along with ones own fandom

Well, I am of a fanboy type more than the opposite on this "What I dislike about the Stones"-site.

I am in desperate need of an alibi. Now I've got it. I tell you then: TATTOO YOU as a whole is, eh, shite. I would have gotten rid of most songs here and have it reduced to a maxi single: It should have consisted of the marvellous "Waiting on a Friend", the OK song "Black Limousine" and the light weight, raher mediocre "Start Me Up". The rest of those versions of the featured songs might have stayed in the vaults.

I don't want any WHINER to come and criticize my dislikes. They are not entitled to that. On this site my dislikes are my privilege. True to the spirit on the site: I demand respect for my dislikes. On this site they define my outlook on the band.

And this leads us to the conclusion that.....???

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: October 30, 2012 15:02

superrevvy
For the moment at least I'm not particularly a fan of the Rolling Stones

The reasons I still participate here are 1) I am still a HUGE fan of Mick Jagger's,
and 2) I've watched the Stones story for a LONG time now, and amazingly its still
a bit of a cliffhanger and I want to see how it turns out.

Exactly how I feel. For me it's a huge cliffhanger. Since my first single in 1966 I can't stop reading about them. Follow them. Listen to them. Even on those moments I'm not particularly a fan.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 30, 2012 15:07

alimente
Witness
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
... not ONE positive thing to say about your supposedly favourite band - THEN you're a whiner, and there are a few of them around, mind you smiling smiley

Well yes, there might 2 or 3 of of them, but there's more folks here who are always praising the band - and you don't see them being "called out" for being "blind belivers"....or whatever expression that would be the opposite of "whiners" . Problem is that some of the always positive guys here passes off all complaints/opinions as "whining". Maybe an easy way to label things that doesn't go along with ones own fandom

Well, I am of a fanboy type more than the opposite on this "What I dislike about the Stones"-site.

I am in desperate need of an alibi. Now I've got it. I tell you then: TATTOO YOU as a whole is, eh, shite. I would have gotten rid of most songs here and have it reduced to a maxi single: It should have consisted of the marvellous "Waiting on a Friend", the OK song "Black Limousine" and the light weight, raher mediocre "Start Me Up". The rest of those versions of the featured songs might have stayed in the vaults.

I don't want any WHINER to come and criticize my dislikes. They are not entitled to that. On this site my dislikes are my privilege. True to the spirit on the site: I demand respect for my dislikes. On this site they define my outlook on the band.

And this leads us to the conclusion that.....???

The conclusion is that I am not one of those that are always praising the band. Because that would have been an embarrassment round here.

Date: October 30, 2012 15:07

cowboytoast
i think it's frustration more than whining...

you support a band for years...spend your money on them when they are putting out less than stellar product (Dirty Work comes to mind)...you come to this forum to discuss them even when they are doing absolutely nothing (the last 5 years) and then what do you get??

after 5 years of inactivity (other than a few vault concerts we already had)...we get 2 new songs... a brand 'new' compilation with a dumb looking monkey on it...4 shows that barely anyone can afford to go to...and no new LP on the horizon...

granted they are old guys...but the disctint lack of respect they show for their hardcore fans just shows how out of touch they actually are with anything relevant...

so yeah...it's frustrating...because we all love them...and they are the mark by which other bands are measured...and this is what they do...

'whining' is an innaccurate and stupid word to use for this...

I totally agree!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 30, 2012 15:11

I enjoy cheese with whine

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2012 15:15

Oui Monsieur!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2012 15:15

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

Well yes, there might 2 or 3 of of them, but there's more folks here who are always praising the band - and you don't see them being "called out" for being "blind belivers"....or whatever expression that would be the opposite of "whiners"

In fairness, that is a more positive thing to do on a fan board, don't you think?

BTW, I was called "selective deaf" the other day, because I liked the JJF-clip, and I really don't always prais them...

Part time whining is really not acceptable. You need to put your heart into it damnit!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 30, 2012 15:29

tomcat2006
Reading this board sometimes is depressing.

Following this band/brand nowadays is rather depressing.

Erik Snow above expressed exactly my thoughts as well. I agree with every word, and especially that of liking reading honest opinions, and any opinion is good as any. IORR is, sociologically speaking, a fine forum to see how the fans think.

I think the problem actually is that being a 'hardcore fan' of The Rolling Stones is not so ideal these days (or has been that for a while). We haven't been following a "living, breathing band" for ages now, and when they very rarely do something active 'band-like', it is not directed to fanbase like ours. Their product will gets its income - the reason why they do anything in the first place - from different people. And they pretty well make it sure that those people will get what they need and want. Those people give also them what they want (but sometimes make me wonder do they really need, but I have never really grasped greed).

The result is a walking museum offering a nostalgic package of legendary, well-known songs, a singer doing the same 'freak' show he has done some 30 yaers now (and gives the impression of some 20 yaers old boy), and the rest giving enough glimpses of their legendaric charisma and caricaturist presence. That concept keeps them very wealthy men and big in business. This band is a brand, and the less it changes, the better. We are now getting a 50 Anniversary, but it could have been A BIGGER BANG, LICKS TOUR, VOODOO LOUNGE or even STEEL WHEELS as well. The same thing (more expensive and 'privileged' though), no matter Jagger being 50, 60, 70 or 90.

So I don't wonder why the hardcore fanbase feels a bit lost sometimes when they try 'follow' the band (if there actually is anything to 'follow'), Or try 'understand' the logic of their actions and motives. Especially when they might have some more passionate and ambitious ideas and memories of the band and of its nature in the past.

But the thing is that we have now have had some 23 yaers to witness (artistically semi-retired) band in its static nature - what I have called 'Vegas Era' for years here - and I think each of us who has managed to go through all that, should be given some damn medal or something (not only for that of using a fortune, but that of still having a heart for this band). And all that knowing and accepting the fact that the product is not aimed for us, and the band not being anything like "ours", but just existing in due to make some old Englishmen very wealthy (who most likely hate each other).

Not that there hadn't been some special moments and gigs, but in a big picture that is just a make-up thing. The band knows that being SO big that they can compete with younger acts like U2, they don't have any other choice but to use that nostalgia card with latest stage technology to give people 'experiences' they are löooking after (we know the songs, the show, etc.). It is the 'casual fans' who make the Stones big in business (I have the guts that not any other big act have so much of them, and not hardcore fans). And it is them being the target of their business strategy, which made The Rolling Stones the biggest conservative musical force in show business of modern day. They never let them down. Their 'real' fans. I am sure the people last night in Paris were very happy for the product they got.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 16:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 30, 2012 15:50

DandelionPowderman
The whining really takes away some of the joy of being a Stones fan, especially now in these exciting times

then it IS working! coolio!

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: October 30, 2012 15:55

Fans of any band, sports team, etc., are entitled to an opinion based on their perception. I have specific sports teams I am a fan of. I stand by them, even when they suck, but I also call them out when I think they are not trying, mismanaged, sticking it to fans,ripping them off, etc. It's not whining, it's part of being a fan. "Fan" is short for "fanatic"- so our opinions both positive and negatvie may come across strong based on that. Whining? no.... speaking with passion in an intelligent, respectful manner to others who have a different point of view?.....That's, what I think of when I think of good fans.

Date: October 30, 2012 15:56

superrevvy
superrevvy
For the moment at least I'm not particularly a fan of the Rolling Stones

The reasons I still participate here are 1) I am still a HUGE fan of Mick Jagger's,
and 2) I've watched the Stones story for a LONG time now, and amazingly its still
a bit of a cliffhanger and I want to see how it turns out.

Also, thinking the Stones are shit now is not whining.

The ticket price complaints are whining. Take it or leave it, I say.

But having a negative opinion about this or that aspect of their current artistic
production is not whining.

I agree.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 30, 2012 15:56

I would say stop whining about people that have constructive criticism. Are we suppose to love everything The Stones do?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 30, 2012 16:04

On the contrary. I'm a bit tired of the constant fanboys, who will praise everything they do. I think the Stones have got away too easy. They would have benefited from more honest critisism. After doing another stillborn ten minutes version of JJF or HTW they should have had eggs or tomatoes thrown at them instead of a massive round of applause from the public. That would have forced them to progress! And what about the press? One journalist dared to share his honest opinion about the band (and especially Keith's achievements) - he was threatened to his life! What about the other journalists? Are they fanboys too?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 30, 2012 16:10

Date: October 30, 2012 16:13

Don't make baby Jesus cry dammit.

Date: October 30, 2012 16:56

Stoneage
On the contrary. I'm a bit tired of the constant fanboys, who will praise everything they do. I think the Stones have got away too easy. They would have benefited from more honest critisism. After doing another stillborn ten minutes version of JJF or HTW they should have had eggs or tomatoes thrown at them instead of a massive round of applause from the public. That would have forced them to progress! And what about the press? One journalist dared to share his honest opinion about the band (and especially Keith's achievements) - he was threatened to his life! What about the other journalists? Are they fanboys too?

thumbs up

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 30, 2012 16:58

Personally, I think that this is not the right place for free speech or criticising the band in any way.

Only kidding: I actually agree with Doxa, who as usual seems to hit the right notes.

I just meant that it's depressing to see the general torrent of negativity from other hardcore fans when they're about to play for the first time in 5 years and after we've had bucket loads of archive goodies released in the last couple of years.

Each to his own... but it'd be great to occasionally come away from reading the board more - rather than less - excited about seeing them play next month.

I just hope they play Start Me Up, Miss You and Satisfaction, that's all.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 30, 2012 17:31

Thanks for telling the rest of us what we are allowed to say and providing pat answers to all of our concerns.

Date: October 30, 2012 17:48

71Tele
Thanks for telling the rest of us what we are allowed to say and providing pat answers to all of our concerns.

pleases and thank yous are the hallmark of a well-functioning messageboard.

Date: October 30, 2012 17:53

StonesTod
71Tele

But the lifeblood remains:

1) Shut Up And Die

2) You're a Racist

3) Screw You're Opinion

Date: October 30, 2012 17:54

Munichhilton
StonesTod
71Tele

1) Shut Up And Die

2) You're a Racist

3) Screw You're Opinion

i've been called many things...but never have i been accused of being opinion. that's over the line....

Date: October 30, 2012 17:59

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
71Tele

1) Shut Up And Die

2) You're a Racist

3) Screw You're Opinion

i've been called many things...but never have i been accused of being opinion. that's over the line....

Rotten autofill banana calender

Posted by: DoomNGloom ()
Date: October 30, 2012 18:00

They whine because they care. Just think of how boring this place would become if they all decided to jump ship. Certainly no lack of passion around here no matter what side of the fence you reside on. Makes for some highly emotional and riveting discussions, albeit, somewhat draining at times.

Date: October 30, 2012 18:05

DoomNGloom
They whine because they care. Just think of how boring this place would become if they all decided to jump ship. Certainly no lack of passion around here no matter what side of the fence you reside on. Makes for some highly emotional and riveting discussions, albeit, somewhat draining at times.

for years, i've been insisting this, too. we are the carers. the true carers. the real carers. but i don't think anyone cares that we care. so we are relegated to the much-less-preferred category of whiners. i could whine about that, but who'd care?

Date: October 30, 2012 18:11

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
71Tele

1) Shut Up And Die

2) You're a Racist

3) Screw You're Opinion

brick tamland?

Date: October 30, 2012 18:16

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
71Tele

1) Shut Up And Die

2) You're a Racist

3) Screw You're Opinion

brick tamland?

I went to school with him.

Date: October 30, 2012 18:18

GravityBoy
StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
71Tele

1) Shut Up And Die

2) You're a Racist

3) Screw You're Opinion

brick tamland?

I went to school with him.

meteorology school?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 30, 2012 18:22

StonesTod
DandelionPowderman
The whining really takes away some of the joy of being a Stones fan, especially now in these exciting times

then it IS working! coolio!

>grinning smiley<

Sorry Dandelion, people will post their opinions here. You can't control that. So stop trying. I don't agree with all of the posts by the musically-stunted blind/deaf cheerleaders of what has devolved into an absolute circus of a "band". But I wouldn't dare make a post telling tehm to stop it.

If you don't like the negativity here, maybe it's time you re-evaluated the situation. We're not failing you... The Stones are already doing that. If the posts from people with objective opinions are denting away at your fantasy view of these rich old dirtbags, maybe this isn't the place for you anymore if you can't take us calling them out on it.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: October 30, 2012 18:32

Erik_Snow
I like reading honest opinions. Calling critisicm of Rolling Stones way of dealing with tickets and audience, not taking chances, playing for bankers etc for "whining" is not correct.
Honest opinions or reviews about the guitarists playing is not "whining" either. THe only real whining taking place here is whining about other peoples opinon and impressions
Good points Erik....thumbs up

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 18:33 by ROPENI.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 30, 2012 18:38

tomcat2006
People, let's please have no more about:

- The Stones are greedy. Hey, they're just charging what they can to do what they do. They don't owe the public anything

- The set list is boring. They haven't even started to tour properly yet and we don't like the choice of songs already! This is a problem of the internet era not the band

- Keith is not up to it. Probably true but being nearly 70 and after a few strokes, what do we expect? I saw Ronnie playing a few months ago and he is on fire. He can handle the main guitar duties, no problem

- They play too many warhorses. They're playing for the wider audience not just us so get over it

- They should do an album of old blues. ZZzzzz

Reading this board sometimes is depressing.

Thank you - over & out.

OK - Ticket prices, set list, Keith's playing, warhorses vs. deep blues cuts. Let's not have any criticism or negative opinions. Only sunshine! grinning smiley

Ticket prices - good. Set List - Good. Keith's playing - GOOOD! Warhorses- GOOOOOOD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 18:39 by drbryant.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 930
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home