Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243Next
Current Page: 38 of 43
Re: Rolling stones secret gig In Paris
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 28, 2012 17:46

Witness
The band can probably at the moment be compared to a world class soccer team during pre-season friendlies. They are in the process of getting their act together.

Possibly imperfect. Anyway, almost always to me the Rolling Stones have meant the perfection of the imperfect. More impressive at that than whatever group that is immediately perfect on the surface.

On repeated listenings, to me it is one quality more than anything that comes over: The magic is there! That ecstatic element, hidden in the fabric of their music, can you feel it?
(

feel it? i can't even understand it....say that again...in english...or something?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 28, 2012 18:02

StonesTod
Witness
The band can probably at the moment be compared to a world class soccer team during pre-season friendlies. They are in the process of getting their act together.

Possibly imperfect. Anyway, almost always to me the Rolling Stones have meant the perfection of the imperfect. More impressive at that than whatever group that is immediately perfect on the surface.

On repeated listenings, to me it is one quality more than anything that comes over: The magic is there! That ecstatic element, hidden in the fabric of their music, can you feel it?
(

feel it? i can't even understand it....say that again...in english...or something?

Well, down there in Texas you probably never see soccer from any country, neither during the season nor the pre-season, so it is more than understandable that you did not understand!

But then you are doubly at fault, you were not supposed to understand, you were to feel. Provided that you are still able to feel Stones music, supposing that you once were. Really, were you once?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 28, 2012 18:03

gotdablouse
Yeah now that I think of it entering the club with four other people inside and the stage all set up and with an hour to go was really like seeing these lights in the christmas tree through a frosted glass door all those years ago...except you're not a kid anymore so your mind "freezes" up, there's no other way to describe it really. You know the best is yet to come and you know it will be over quickly and it likely will never happen again. Before the concert started we were like "how will we be able to go to another Stones concert after that...should we go to the O2?...now that the "high" is eroding, hell yes, I want to be back in that pit a few metres away from Mick and the Boys !

riverrat
gotdablouse
@riverat - this pic is now my phone's lock/background screen, reminds me I was really there ;-)

That's a great picture. Is that Fowler's new job - watching over the line?

Gotdablouse--You are sssOOO lucky to have been able to go to the Stones' 50th Anniversary Club Show with just the small band without all the extras in a small, intimate environment, like when they started out! And the first time they played out in 5 years. That is every Stones' fan's dream come true. You must be on an adrenaline high still. You should always keep that pic as your background screen

Yeah it's nice to have it but it "hurts" too, a magic moment that's gone forever. That whole day was absolute madness, the rush to get to the Virgin, cancelling everything else to make it to the Trabendo in good time, the stress of the wait that this picture from Le Monde shows pretty well :

Time going by quickly, then coming to a halt, night falling, the crush, and then we're in...

Date: October 28, 2012 18:18

GravityBoy
treaclefingers
71Tele
riverrat
jazzbass
Spud
DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
roby
What a disembodied version. No energy. No guitars.

MRambler

Little bit longer version in hd quality in RS youtube channel

No guitars, really? What are you talking about?

Come on Dandy: this is poor quality! Don't be selective deaf.

I wonder why a newbee on this board calls me selctive deaf because I like something? Really?

Musically and historically I know more about the Stones than most people I know of, and I´ve proven that. I don´t need anybody to tell me what I think should be good or not when it comes to the Stones.

I´ve heard ridiculous trainwrecks of JJF from all eras; 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979(!), 1981, 1982, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2007 before this version - that we heard a one minute clip from at the end of the show.

If I like what I hear (and see), it is because I´m really impressed by the magic this bunch of 70 year olds still can create, although in smaller doses than before.

If you or other guys here only judge the Stones from how good the guitar solos are, I´m vowed by your short term memory. There is no guitar solo on the original JJF-version, and it stands as a rock among popular music recordings of all time. Think of that - just for a second.

A bunch of 70 year olds (that IS what they should be judged by anyway) playing our favourite music (that´s why we post here, right?), maybe with some former band members guesting later on - what more can we ask for?

I'd echo those sentiments exactly.
(..although I've only been witnessing JJF trainwrecks since 73...]

I loved it, was so cool to hear JJF without all of the back up signers for the first time in decades!

I love it, too. It kind of reminds me of this one:

Best...JJF...ever.

I have a 45 that would disagree with you.

I think he meant best live JJF.

I would agree (although I've never heard them all).

I like the Rock'n'Roll Circus-version the most - because Mick is actually singing the song there. From 1969 on he would change the melody completely, as well as skip the chorus (why?) "It's all right"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-28 18:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 28, 2012 18:27

riverrat
jazzbass
Spud
DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
roby

MRambler

I wonder why a newbee on this board calls me selctive deaf because I like something? Really?

Musically and historically I know more about the Stones than most people I know of, and I´ve proven that. I don´t need anybody to tell me what I think should be good or not when it comes to the Stones.

I´ve heard ridiculous trainwrecks of JJF from all eras; 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979(!), 1981, 1982, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2007 before this version - that we heard a one minute clip from at the end of the show.

If I like what I hear (and see), it is because I´m really impressed by the magic this bunch of 70 year olds still can create, although in smaller doses than before.

If you or other guys here only judge the Stones from how good the guitar solos are, I´m vowed by your short term memory. There is no guitar solo on the original JJF-version, and it stands as a rock among popular music recordings of all time. Think of that - just for a second.

A bunch of 70 year olds (that IS what they should be judged by anyway) playing our favourite music (that´s why we post here, right?), maybe with some former band members guesting later on - what more can we ask for?

I loved it, was so cool to hear JJF without all of the back up signers for the first time in decades!

Aside from your observation via the lack of side musicians so prevalent during the "Vegas years" , this version of Jack Flash played in Paris does not come close to reminding me of that MSG 69 version. O.K., let's get all the usual arguments out of the way. Yes-this was a warm-up gig and these guys are 70 years old, for God's sake! And no, they don't play like Arcade Fire or Foo Fighters, but there is something else missing in this equation, and it is about ROCK and ROLL itself. The turn on for me on why I got addicted to the Stones in the first place (and all the elements are there to be found watching that MSG 69 clip) has to do with the genre of rock and roll. The best and memorable music generally presented with energy, passion, a certain element of menace (all that can be seen in Jack Flash from 69). When I watch the snippets from that Paris show, it is akin to going into my favorite bar and ordering my favorite drink, and being disappointed in finding that my favorite drink has been watered down to the point where it's not enjoyable anymore. UNfortunately, that is kind of how I feel about the Stones of 2012. I will most likely pass on this tour and settle for the obligatory concert tour DVD that they will no doubt release, rather than shell out $800.00 to see them. For those who will be making that trek to the concert stage, God bless you.

Date: October 28, 2012 18:40

Witness
StonesTod
Witness

(

Well, down there in Texas you probably never see soccer from any country, neither during the season nor the pre-season, so it is more than understandable that you did not understand!

But then you are doubly at fault, you were not supposed to understand, you were to feel. Provided that you are still able to feel Stones music, supposing that you once were. Really, were you once?

i need to think about that.

soccer...is that something you do when your wife pisses you off or something?

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: October 28, 2012 18:41

Sighunt
riverrat
jazzbass
Spud
DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
roby

MRambler

Aside from your observation via the lack of side musicians so prevalent during the "Vegas years" , this version of Jack Flash played in Paris does not come close to reminding me of that MSG 69 version. O.K., let's get all the usual arguments out of the way. Yes-this was a warm-up gig and these guys are 70 years old, for God's sake! And no, they don't play like Arcade Fire or Foo Fighters, but there is something else missing in this equation, and it is about ROCK and ROLL itself. The turn on for me on why I got addicted to the Stones in the first place (and all the elements are there to be found watching that MSG 69 clip) has to do with the genre of rock and roll. The best and memorable music generally presented with energy, passion, a certain element of menace (all that can be seen in Jack Flash from 69). When I watch the snippets from that Paris show, it is akin to going into my favorite bar and ordering my favorite drink, and being disappointed in finding that my favorite drink has been watered down to the point where it's not enjoyable anymore. UNfortunately, that is kind of how I feel about the Stones of 2012. I will most likely pass on this tour and settle for the obligatory concert tour DVD that they will no doubt release, rather than shell out $800.00 to see them. For those who will be making that trek to the concert stage, God bless you.

i , for once , prefer the 2012 stones , for what i ve seen here ,to the last few decades ,they seem to to go back to the music ( as they are able now ).
then again , an intimate gig with as little players as possible like this is worth its weight in gold !! see also the whole 69 tour , the Marquee, the roundhouse , el mocambo etc

Date: October 28, 2012 19:31

StonesTod
Witness
StonesTod
Witness

(

If you were to meet Diego Maradona some time, you'd better ask him.

Apart from that, do some thinking about your way of experiencing Stones music. I guess that Stones music must be a chief motive for entering IORR. Or is it not?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-28 19:37 by Witness.

Posted by: Ingris ()
Date: October 28, 2012 19:48

I think WTWCD from the gig kicks ass. It's so good that I belive that they still can give us a moment of glimmer. I play WTWCD more than their new song D&G. How stange is that smiling smiley

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 28, 2012 20:14

Daily Express October 27.2012

The Sun October 27.2012

HMN

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 28, 2012 21:02

Witness
StonesTod
Witness
StonesTod
Witness

(

Apart from that, do some thinking about your way of experiencing Stones music. I guess that Stones music must be a chief motive for entering IORR. Or is it not?

don't get me started on that Maradona and the Hand of God stuff...

the best way to experience Stones music these days is to watch a DVD from 1972...as much as i love them...they are in no way even at 40%...and why the hell do they put on those dumb robes after a show???...

Date: October 28, 2012 21:10

There is only one DVD from 1972. Unfortunately, it's not a very good show, imo - not at all a good document of that excellent tour...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 28, 2012 21:33

No, this isn't the same band as '78, but from what I heard on the clip 'Whip' sounded really solid and it seemed like the band and the crowd were having a blast.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-28 21:37 by ryanpow.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 28, 2012 22:03

Regarding all the criticism of their "slow" versions of these songs at the Paris gig, keep in mind that rather than just "tired" slow can also translate into "funky" and "soulful". Their version of JJF is closer to the album version, and the fact that they play it at a slower tempo seems to indicate that they rehearsed it this way, which also bodes well for a full tour. Perhaps they have it in mind, as a special nod to a classic anniversary, that on tour this time around they will recall traditional arrangements of their songs, as Ronnie's soloing in JJF indicated. Perhaps they will even present a stripped-down version of their stage show as they did in Paris.

Now if they would just have Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor on stage with them and play the Let It Bleed album in its entirety, that would be the icing and cherry atop the cake.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 28, 2012 22:05

the slower version of jjf has been how they've played it since the VL tour anyways... or at least since BTB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-28 22:08 by ryanpow.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 28, 2012 22:09

Ingris
I think WTWCD from the gig kicks ass. It's so good that I belive that they still can give us a moment of glimmer. I play WTWCD more than their new song D&G. How stange is that smiling smiley

Exactly. Whip was really good. Much better than the versions played on recent tours. What's genuinely surprising for me is that it was really swinging - did Darryl finally learn Bill's jumping bass lines?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-28 22:20 by alimente.

Date: October 28, 2012 22:10

ryanpow
the slower version of jjf has been how they've played it since the VL tour anyways... or at least since BTB.

Then what is everyone complaining about? This stripped down version sounds more authentic than any live version I've heard since.... well, nevermind.

Date: October 28, 2012 22:41

Witness
StonesTod
Witness
StonesTod
Witness

(

entering iorr? do i win something for that...or something?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 28, 2012 23:02

Witness, are you speaking of listening to the 1 MINUTE video clip?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 28, 2012 23:37

stonesnow
Regarding all the criticism of their "slow" versions of these songs at the Paris gig, keep in mind that rather than just "tired" slow can also translate into "funky" and "soulful". Their version of JJF is closer to the album version, and the fact that they play it at a slower tempo seems to indicate that they rehearsed it this way, which also bodes well for a full tour. Perhaps they have it in mind, as a special nod to a classic anniversary, that on tour this time around they will recall traditional arrangements of their songs, as Ronnie's soloing in JJF indicated. Perhaps they will even present a stripped-down version of their stage show as they did in Paris.

Now if they would just have Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor on stage with them and play the Let It Bleed album in its entirety, that would be the icing and cherry atop the cake.

smileys with beerhot smiley
good one
thanks jeroen

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: October 29, 2012 00:43

stonesnow
ryanpow

Then what is everyone complaining about? This stripped down version sounds more authentic than any live version I've heard since.... well, nevermind.

Amen. Case closed. Next criticism?

Posted by: happyparis ()
Date: October 29, 2012 00:44

corriecas
stonesnow

smileys with beerhot smiley
good one
thanks jeroen

True!

They rehearsed with this tempo.
Ive been listening to it this week and the week before and they played at the same tempo for the trabendo!

I bet they save some energy doing it this way, and keith i think need it. I have to admit that for midnight rambler it was a little to slow but anyway, as long as i can see them performing on stage i'll be happy to hear what they deliver.

Date: October 29, 2012 00:45

riverrat
stonesnow
ryanpow

keith has almost no hair left...

Date: October 29, 2012 00:55

stonesrule
Witness, are you speaking of listening to the 1 MINUTE video clip?

I am referring to the 8:41 minute long clip posted by TheBlockbuster,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 01:03 by Witness.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 29, 2012 01:07

StonesTod
riverrat
stonesnow
ryanpow

You have no way of knowing that.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 29, 2012 01:17

Hey dopey .....wrong place

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 01:19 by Rockman.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 29, 2012 05:24

so was the show good or not?

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: chop ()
Date: October 29, 2012 05:32

StonesTod
riverrat
stonesnow
ryanpow

Though strangely, Charlie looks like he's got more than usual. At least from the magazine "robes" pictre spread.

Date: October 29, 2012 07:12

chop
StonesTod
riverrat
stonesnow
ryanpow

Though strangely, Charlie looks like he's got more than usual. At least from the magazine "robes" pictre spread.

Looks that way, doesn't it? It's that tuft in front that hasn't thinned so much yet. At the Crossfire Hurricane premiere, when the band is on the stage before the screening and you see pics of Charlie in profile, you see the huge bald patch behind that frontal tuft. It's surprising that he's got any hair left at all, because way back on the Tattoo You tour in 1981 he had a yamaka-size bald patch up top even then.

Posted by: Rsylvain ()
Date: October 29, 2012 08:46

Do you know what time the concert starts tonight?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243Next
Current Page: 38 of 43

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2143
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home