Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: it literally turns my stomach
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:02

71Tele
Look, the Stones are a business, first and foremost. They are a "brand" these days more than a "band". Why is this a surprise to anyone? If music was their main interest they would have gotten together numerous times in the last five years for the sheer joy of playing, or to challenge themselves artistically. This simply isn't the case. They are a product like any other product, and they charge what the market will bear. The fact that they have sold out these shows means that from a business standpoint their calculations were correct. In fact, they probably could have charged even more. One may choose to buy the product or not (personally I choose not to, as I find the current product lacking), but why the anger and feelings of betrayal for something that they have been doing for two decades or more, which is to try to extract the most money and profit from their enterprise as possible?

E-he-he-he-he-xactly.

When they came out in 1989 with that coin set... I knew they weren't like other bands. And not in a good way either. They are absolutely a brand now. They are not a real band, but a cash cow - an example of a band which had 15 years of inspiration (1962-1977), but ran out of steam. So around '81 they mulled the last decent music in the vaults for Tattoo You and proceeded to INVENT the 'corpoate sponsor' tour.

They had an amazing run of work in the 60s and 70s; and that's what I'm a fan of - old Stones... when they were good, which was a long, long time ago. They of course now have slid down in quality to the epitome of suckage. I'm looking forward to hearing how poorly these shows will be performed, and think about the fools that payed this kind of money for - what we all know will be - an EVEN WEAKER version of the Bigger Bang Tour (aka Voodoo Lounge Part 6).

But they sold the tickets. Because they're still The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band? No. Because the are a lot of very stupid people out there who buy into hype, and a LOT of tone-deaf fanboys who pretend to have musical sensibilities to know that they're not even "good" anymore, that 100 garage bands out there would blow them off the stage. (a lot of them post here and abuse the word "swing"... yeah, those guys).

Anyone who bought a ticket for these shows; You are a sucker and a fool and I would say it right to your face, and laugh.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 21:12 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:05

Max'sKansasCity
What would IORR ever do without all these kind people retelling everyone, over and over, that concerts area business. Esp the ones who love to whine about all sorts of crap... and now telling people they should not whine about what they see as high prices.

Is the popcorn done yet... my bowl is almost empty.

Oh come on now, Max. If you were speaking about me (seems you were) I was only expressing surprise at the outrage at ticket prices and saying it is nothing new. As to "loving to whine", whining about that yourself adds nothing to the discussion. Not sure what to make of the popcorn reference.

Your post is odd, as you are often fond of posting about how people shouldn't be told what they can and can't post - a sentiment I heartily agree with.

How about them Tigers?

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:06

Ged Rambler
Just come back off holiday to this happy news - its an utter disgrace - lets face it,they're not exactly gonna be firing on all cylinders are they?Not the slightest bit interested at these prices,they can sod off - its a fine thank you to the true fans who have supported them for all these years.

I don't post here often but have been a big fan for almost 40 years and I just don't get it - these people are rich beyond our wildest dreams,why don't they give something back?If this is the score when the real tour arrives,won't be bothering with that either - will go where I get value for money,such as Bruce - no comparison.

Ged - you picked a good time to get back from Holiday. I guess you can now afford to go back on holiday since you will be saving all of this Stones money.drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 21:10 by 2000 LYFH.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:11

jamesfdouglas
71Tele
Look, the Stones are a business, first and foremost. They are a "brand" these days more than a "band". Why is this a surprise to anyone? If music was their main interest they would have gotten together numerous times in the last five years for the sheer joy of playing, or to challenge themselves artistically. This simply isn't the case. They are a product like any other product, and they charge what the market will bear. The fact that they have sold out these shows means that from a business standpoint their calculations were correct. In fact, they probably could have charged even more. One may choose to buy the product or not (personally I choose not to, as I find the current product lacking), but why the anger and feelings of betrayal for something that they have been doing for two decades or more, which is to try to extract the most money and profit from their enterprise as possible?

E-he-he-he-he-xactly.

When they came out in 1989 with that coin set... I knew they weren't like other bands. And not in a good way either. They are absolutely a brand now. They are not a real band, but a cash cow - an example of a band which had 15 years of inspiration (1962-1977), but ran out of steam. So around '81 they mulled the last decent music in the vaults for Tattoo You and proceeded to INVENT the 'corpoate sponsor' tour.

They had an amazing run of work in the 60s and 70s; and that's what I'm a fan of - old Stones... when they were good, which was a long, long time ago. They of course now have slid down in quality to the epitome of suckage. I'm looking forward to hearing how porly these shows will be, and think about the fools that payed this kind of money for - what we all know will be - an EVEN WEAKER version of the Bigger Bang Tour (aka Voodoo Lounge Part 6).

But they sold the tickets. Because they're still The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band? No. Because the are a lot of very stupid people out there who buy into hype, and a LOT of tone-deaf fanboys who pretend to have musical sensibilities to know that they're not even "good" anymore, that 100 garage bands out there would blow them off the stage. (a lot of them post here and abuse the word "swing"... yeah, those guys).

Anyone who bought a ticket for these shows; You are a sucker and a fool and I would say it right to your face, and laugh.

how did it all come to this? whatever happened to my rocknroll? sigh. at least i have my jazz to clutch and to hold....sniff.....

Date: October 19, 2012 21:13

StonesTod

how did it all come to this? whatever happened to my rocknroll? sigh. at least i have my jazz to clutch and to hold....sniff.....

Rock and roll is still out there. Just not at a Rolling Stones Royal Gathering of Idiots.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:14

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
71Tele

E-he-he-he-he-xactly.

They had an amazing run of work in the 60s and 70s; and that's what I'm a fan of - old Stones... when they were good, which was a long, long time ago. They of course now have slid down in quality to the epitome of suckage. I'm looking forward to hearing how porly these shows will be, and think about the fools that payed this kind of money for - what we all know will be - an EVEN WEAKER version of the Bigger Bang Tour (aka Voodoo Lounge Part 6).

Someone smart once said.... it can still be found down at the local pub for a $5.00 cover charge, and they sell $2.00 beers. THAT is rock and roll.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:15

jamesfdouglas
71Tele

E-he-he-he-he-xactly.

Fair enough, sounds like you would not be going at any cost. Just like one person's trash is another person's treasure, these people feel that the product is still there and there may not be another opportunity to see them. To each their own!

Date: October 19, 2012 21:17

jamesfdouglas
StonesTod

Rock and roll is still out there. Just not at a Rolling Stones Royal Gathering of Idiots.

sigh. ok. it's just all so upsetting.

Date: October 19, 2012 21:18

Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
71Tele

E-he-he-he-he-xactly.

Someone smart once said.... it can still be found down at the local pub for a $5.00 cover charge, and they sell $2.00 beers. THAT is rock and roll.

five bucks!! no way, man. you can have the money, pal....

Posted by: comet ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:27

I don't care about missing out on tickets today, I'll see them on the proper tour in 2013. You have to weigh it up, some people could justify the money others couldn't. If the tickets had been cheap they'd have been twice as hard to get.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:27

71Tele
Gazza
Sam Spade
My thought is that Wyman will join them at the 02 shows and Taylor(he's only booked for shows Nov 24 and 30) will join them at the Prudential Center shows.

It could be the reason for the outrageous ticket prices.

Who would have imagined all those years ago that Stones fans would be happy for an extra zero on a ticket price just to see a cameo by Mick Taylor or Bill Wyman?

I wonder how much of that extra revenue the Stones get from these shows because of this speculation will find its way into the bank accounts of the guys in question.

I would guess that it'll be close to just one of those zeroes.

Hmm, Gazza, I am not sure if the type of people scooping up these tickets know, let alone care, about Wyman and Taylor. At least not enough to have speculation drive up prices. Wouldn't it make more sense (if getting more money was the objective) to actually announce and promote appearances by the two ex-members? That might do the trick.

I know that - but its people on HERE (who DO know who they are) are justifying the prices in the event that either or both will make cameo appearances.

You could never have forseen that this would happen 25 years ago. Certainly not for a cameo by a bass player who was so low key on stage that he was barely noticeable. (Not a comment on his playing, but more on his stage presence and profile within the band)

Date: October 19, 2012 21:29

Max'sKansasCity
What would IORR ever do without all these kind people retelling everyone, over and over, that concerts area business. Esp the ones who love to whine about all sorts of crap... and now telling people they should not whine about what they see as high prices.

Is the popcorn done yet... my bowl is almost empty.

Stop whining about our whining over high prices. Or something.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:32

Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
Sam Spade
My thought is that Wyman will join them at the 02 shows and Taylor(he's only booked for shows Nov 24 and 30) will join them at the Prudential Center shows.

Who would have imagined all those years ago that Stones fans would be happy for an extra zero on a ticket price just to see a cameo by Mick Taylor or Bill Wyman?

I wonder how much of that extra revenue the Stones get from these shows because of this speculation will find its way into the bank accounts of the guys in question.

Hmm, Gazza, I am not sure if the type of people scooping up these tickets know, let alone care, about Wyman and Taylor. At least not enough to have speculation drive up prices. Wouldn't it make more sense (if getting more money was the objective) to actually announce and promote appearances by the two ex-members? That might do the trick.

I know that - but its people on HERE (who DO know who they are) are justifying the prices in the event that either or both will make cameo appearances.

You could never have forseen that this would happen 25 years ago. Certainly not for a cameo by a bass player who was so low key on stage that he was barely noticeable. (Not a comment on his playing, but more on his stage presence and profile within the band)

Well, you're right. Speaking personally, I need a reason to shell out bucks and to travel to see these guys again (after witnessing a very hum-drum Stadium performance in Seattle last leg of the ABB tour) and a sentimental reunion with Taylor and Wyman would be the only thing that could draw me in. But I care more about Wyman's playing than his less than dynamic stage presence, as I do taylor's playing vs. his weight (a seemingly huge concern to some people here that disqualifies him from appearing with the group).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 19, 2012 21:51

jamesfdouglas
corriecas

i saw crossfire hurricane yesterday, and it was a disappointment, stops at 1982......

I called that one! Thanks for saving me time and money.

Sounds like a triumph to me!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 19, 2012 22:07

treaclefingers
corriecas
i saw crossfire hurricane yesterday, and it was a disappointment, stops at 1982......

I don't understand...people hate "Vegas Stones" and everything that happened after 1982...so why all of a sudden do they need to see that part of their career in a documentary in order for that documentary to be considered good? Everyone loves the early 70's to death and here they made a documentary specifically about it and people still hate it? Fickle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 22:08 by Justin.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 19, 2012 22:11

Mathijs
Erik_Snow
Mathijs comparision with restaurants make it sound like the reason for the ticketprices going up is because the quality has been rising as well....

BTW, I just tried searching for tickets on seetickets; funny to read the 130 "facebook comments" under the RS ticket search. Seems like the everybody there think the whole band can bugger off; it's not only people on this board who's complaining.

If you are of the opinion that 400 pounds for a second tier ticket is too expensive, then don't buy the ticket. The quality hasn't increased, but the scarcity has. Petrus is mainly so expensive because there's so little amount of bottles produced every year.

In case the Stones really would have tried to keep prices down, it might have meant that some would have obtained tickets, but many would not, with no guarantee that all those who might have, would have been actual fans. Those who had not obtained tickets, would also then have been disappointed. Who are certain to have been criticized also then?

And then there are the scalpers who would possibly in one way or another have managed to buy up tickets at large, who then would resell the tickets at the high prices. The difference in that case would be that the middlemen would make some or even much of the profits.

And if the band was to have had an organisation to provide for tickets to defined «true fans», I am afraid this would involve an insurmountable organisation problem if we think «the true fans» could have been properly defined and identified. In the next instance that itself would have been a special problem with an old band with this fan base.

It becomes a question of rationing a scarce good. The price mechanism with all its weaknesses is employed. Alternative mechanisms would most certainly have had their weaknesses, too. Then it is probably natural that the band chooses one method that both serves at least some fans and contributes to a profit for themselves. I find it hard to be too harsh against that.

It is unfair to many «die hard» fans, of course, who are unable to pay. But, without middlemen getting away with parts of the profit, some of those fans that are willing to pay, will at any rate be able to see the concerts in the company of those event seekers that also are willing to pay.

If not correct in every detail, I am afraid that something like this captures aspects of the picture if the band is not to play lots of evenings now already.

There is a problem when the occasion becomes to big.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 19, 2012 22:18

Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
Sam Spade

Like Gazza, The Stones crossed the line with me as well as far as the given product and the offered price goes... and feel like being reliefed, and like having earned some extra money for other hobbies in my life (maybe go to one of Mathijs's fancy restaurants since that would be something I have never done). If I have bought the tickets, I could never look at myself from mirror and not seeing an idiot...

But I need to say that if the deal would have been that the extra zero in the big number - or, say, the extra £250 in £400 for nosebleed seats - would go totally for Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman (to their bank accounts), I might have done it (since different principles would have been used then)... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 22:24 by Doxa.

Date: October 19, 2012 22:28

Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod

YES!!!
thumbs up
smileys with beer

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: October 19, 2012 22:45

The Rolling Stones are the Fat Duck of the entertainment industry.

Mathijs[/quote]

Mathijs are you serious, 9 months to get a seat in these restaurants? I would say it's time to expand at any cost![/quote]

If you'd expand people would not be paying the big bucks anymore, so you would earn less as overhead will grow. If you decrease the amount of tables you will have to increase prices so less people will be able to afford it, while the chef is not accepting less salary.

This is all just standard simple rules that are applied for years in any industry.

Why do you think that for the last tours many shows wheren't sold out, but had the second tier blanketed? Because you earn more when you sell 20.000 tickets for 100 bucks than 35000 tickets for 50 bucks. More income, less expenses.

Mathijs
[/quote]

Wrong. Faulty economics. And short-sided business practice. With 20,000 fans at 100 bucks you get 2,000,000 dollars. With 40,000 fans at 50 bucks you get the same, plus double the ancillary profits from T-Shirt, memorabilia, food and beverages, etc. And I know for a fact that these are the only areas that allow promoters and stadiums (and most bands) to extract any profit from concerts nowadays...the peripherals are the profit margin. So your reasoning is faulty.

Now, for a limited "exclusive" tour by the most famous Rock band in the world (and pushing ages older that dirt itself), the current prices are obscene but rational in the sense that if the market can bear them and all the seats are sold the Stones have made a very wise use of business acumen -- as they have for the last 45 years. As far as the moral side to this...there is none...look at these old bastards...each and every one of them have lived in an entitled petri dish for nearly half a century. Morals and fan loyalty play no part in any business decision the Stones ever make. They are businessmen who pawn their past greatness for maximum lucre...their art has atrophied but the greatness they once possessed is still in the air and the chemistry when they come together is still tangible. This is the coin of their realm. They were once artists and rebels in a business...they are now businessmen and speculators in a dying art form...Classic Rock and Roll. Damn them and bless them...they were always the paradigm for their putridly self-absorbed generation...they embody the best and the worst of the Baby-Boom hordes.

I have seen every tour since TOTA in '72 (though I was so young I can only remember the feeling of that concert) but unless they tour in 2013 -- behind a new album and prices that are affordable for people other than Financial Industry assclowns on expense accounts -- I will never see them again. $1000 for 2 tickets in front of a crowd full of SmartPhone-texting creeps? Kiss my ass, you mothers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 22:48 by Turd On The Run.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 19, 2012 22:52

StonesTod

Sting tried to get that damn Jazz away from you. He's still lurking in your shadows..

Date: October 19, 2012 22:59

There are on 2 shows in the UK and 2 in America, what do you expect?! Low prices?

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: October 19, 2012 23:00

..lets just forget about the whole thing....

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 19, 2012 23:15

lunar!!!
..lets just forget about the whole thing....

Done. What are these people on about?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 20, 2012 00:05

Justin
treaclefingers
corriecas

I don't understand...people hate "Vegas Stones" and everything that happened after 1982...so why all of a sudden do they need to see that part of their career in a documentary in order for that documentary to be considered good? Everyone loves the early 70's to death and here they made a documentary specifically about it and people still hate it? Fickle.

As the Fonz once said, "EXACTAMUNDO!"

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: October 20, 2012 00:10

I would venture to say that all of you who refuse to purchase tickets, can't get tickets, can't afford tickets, can't travel, etc. will ALL watch the PPV. You won't be able to kkep yourselves from not watching, even in protest.

Date: October 20, 2012 00:23

pinkfloydthebarber
There are on 2 shows in the UK and 2 in America, what do you expect?! Low prices?

No.

Does everything REALLY have to be THAT black and white?

Posted by: charlie62 ()

I don't whine endlessly, far from it. If you think what The Stones have done is morally right well that says a lot about you. Thank God it .appears you are in the minority.

mgguy
I would venture to say that all of you who refuse to purchase tickets, can't get tickets, can't afford tickets, can't travel, etc. will ALL watch the PPV. You won't be able to kkep yourselves from not watching, even in protest.

The PPV will only be shown in the US.

So, try again.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 20, 2012 00:34

mgguy

I would venture to say that I don't own a TV, just a DVD player. Actually, to re-paraphrase, going out to buy a TV just for this PPV, now that would be quite a venture indeed.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 20, 2012 00:34

Turd On The Run
Wrong. Faulty economics. And short-sided business practice. With 20,000 fans at 100 bucks you get 2,000,000 dollars. With 40,000 fans at 50 bucks you get the same, plus double the ancillary profits from T-Shirt, memorabilia, food and beverages, etc. And I know for a fact that these are the only areas that allow promoters and stadiums (and most bands) to extract any profit from concerts nowadays...the peripherals are the profit margin. So your reasoning is faulty.

Well: they sold 2 times 22.000 tickets for an average price of 400 pounds, while they did not sell out the Amsterdam Arena (65.000 capacity) at 100 euro's in 2006.

So, they did the targeting perfectly: they knew exactly there are 44.000 morons like me willing to pay 400 pounds average for a ticket + flight + hotel + disgusting English beer.

My feeling is that if they added a third or fourth gig it would not have been a sell out, unless they lowered the prices. But then you have to hire to O2 another night+personell+security+ whatever more.

I think they did the maths just fine: two shows in London at 400 pounds a ticket will gross the largest amount of money. Then we will do two shows in the US, including a pay per view, as PPV is big in the U.S. and just very limited in Europe.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-20 00:44 by Mathijs.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1680
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home