Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12
Re: Toronto Phoenix (Live, 2005)
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 19, 2012 11:59

You got a link DP?

Date: October 19, 2012 12:05

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 12:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 19, 2012 12:08

Thank you and thank you!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 19, 2012 12:52

Totally hacked off over this: 48 Hrs is fcuking disgraceful !

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 19, 2012 12:56

This release is wellcome!! RS are always wellcome.
I cannot understand those guys who are always bashing the Stones, it might be a nightmare for them writing and writing again and again about it. If you don't like, there are more things in this life to enjoy to.
I like the new single and i like all the releases and downloads we've got since 2010

Date: October 19, 2012 13:27

Between this false, fake, pretend concert that doesn't appear to be available, and some lying toad on amazon marketplace ripping me off on a Procol Harum cd that I bought, I am having a great day.

Date: October 19, 2012 13:32

Fake concert - doesn't exist !

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 19, 2012 13:43

Justin
Doxa
Now, this is a hardcore fan item if anything; costs next to nothing, gathers absolute 0% interest outside the hardcore fan circles, and even there pleases only some most devoted fans of this era and bootleg completists.

As pointed out here, for that cost it is a fine product an sich but knowing the context and deal, to me that is a wasted oppurtunity to do something for their legacy. Damn equality and democrazy in these kind of matters. Their shows and eras are not equal, and it is blindness to deny that.

- Doxa

Regardless how little appeal this recording can garner from both casual and hardcore fans, this recording speaks for itself. It's a keeper. I now have a go-to recording to represent the Bigger Bang tour. "Shine A Light"? blah, no thanks. None of the shows on "The Biggest Bang" DVD really do the band justice either--save for Saitama of course.

The first 6 songs on the Toronto show are glittering with strong guitar work from both sides. I never really dug "Back of my Hand" but it comes across very nicely here with some fine slide work by Ronnie. Things start to dip slightly after Keith's song but by then we were already treated to a fine show to really care that much. The warhorses are your run of the mill performances and you can find better performances anywhere else. But honestly, we're not really purchasing these archive releases to critique "Jumpin Jack Flash" for the millionth time, are we? You can press stop when the warhorses begin but pay attention to the first half of the show--it's good stuff.

Yours and many others' reviews seem to indicate it is a good show, and something outside the typical Vegas formula. Looking forward hearing it. But still rather skeptical of its use. Is A BIGGER BANG TOUR over-all a kind of tour that needs to be 'corrected' with better release? What difference does it make? To show that the band actually could do 'better' if they had willed - but instead of got endless run of autopilot Vegas shows? Will that make me feel better? Hmm...

Here I am commenting a live recording I can't hear, a movie I can't see, and supposedly soon live concerts I don't attend to....eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 13:46 by Doxa.

Date: October 19, 2012 13:46

It sounds like a club, Doxa. You'll get quickly sucked up in the atmosphere of this show!

Date: October 19, 2012 13:52

DandelionPowderman
It sounds like a club, Doxa. You'll get quickly sucked up in the atmosphere of this show!

At the moment I feel like being kicked out of the 'club', while you guys enjoy whatever things...

- Doxa

Date: October 19, 2012 13:54

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 14:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 19, 2012 14:06

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 14:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: rastakeith ()
Date: October 19, 2012 14:13

Lucky you...

Date: October 19, 2012 14:17

Siempre negativo, nunca positivo...........

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 19, 2012 14:20

KeithNacho
This release is wellcome!! RS are always wellcome.
I cannot understand those guys who are always bashing the Stones, it might be a nightmare for them writing and writing again and again about it.

thanks for you concern, but we've learned to live comfortably with our hatred of our band.

Date: October 19, 2012 14:22

Still nothing on stonesarchive.

To paraphrase Juvenal "Long since has the Thames delta flowed into the Potomac"

Date: October 19, 2012 14:43

Why care for something that you dislike and talk about it again and again and agai???? I don't like football and i don't talk about it. I like The Police but i do not talk and talk about how dissapointing is Sting's careeer since the end of the band. I lost interest in his work and that's all. I don't care for him anymore and i do not loose time discussing it.............
Long live R&R, keep on rocking RS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: October 19, 2012 15:14

I am a Stones fan, but feel this is appalling. We in Britain are now short changed, and anytime I tweet about this, or email stonesarchive, I am ignored.

My money means extra income in the Stones coffers, so why ignore the British fans. This gig should be released, but then cd editions of the gigs have also been ignored. Would that the Stones were like the Allmans, or Richard Thompson ? They care about their fans.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 19, 2012 15:30

Peterdv
indeed nothing on the Stonesarchive i bet they are to busy ripping of fans with the O2 tickets..
let's see what the we brings on the Archive maybe then it will be there..

Tonight it will be 3 days since the release on google play! After the outrageously expensive Brussels vinyl, I can only think they simply want to ignore Stones basic fans, the ones that just want to enjoy the music and don't care about having a ridiculous watch or a Jagger signature (handwritten or not)... Whoever is running the Stones archive website, please release Toronto 2005 and put Brussels Affair vinyl - alone- at affordable prices...

edit : I emailed Stones archive on why they're not releasing Toronto 2005 and asked also if they have the intention to release Brussels on vinyl at a normal price...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-19 16:14 by kowalski.

Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: October 19, 2012 16:15

-

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: October 19, 2012 16:39

I feel badly for those unable to get the show. That is patently unfair and you've just got to wonder about these guys. It's interesting that posters automatically assume there's some greed-based motivation behind every single thing. Unfortunately, it is probably true, or at least part of the equation.

As for the show, now that I've listened to it a couple times, I can say this: it's enjoyable but questionable, and certainly not a classic archival bootleg or anything of the sort. They could have done better.

The highlights for me are Mr. Pitiful and the new version of 19th Nervious Breakdown, as well as Get Up Stand Up. I saw them perform that in Philly on the ABB tour and I was really impressed they tackled that. There's just a bit too much ABB for what is really only 15 songs, and then three of them at the end are just warhorses not particularly played with any inspiration.

A note on those: JJF sings. BS is solid but nothing noteworthy. Now, Tumbling Dice, that's worth mentioning. It's boring, but worse than that, they do a very perfunctory intro that deviates from how they've always done it, which is closer to the record. The reason I mention this is because to my ears, that sweeping guitar Keith plays right before the vocals come in IS MY FAVORITE GUITAR IN ALL OF STONEDOM. I don't know why, it just hits me in a certain way. It's only a half measure or maybe even less, but it just has a way of going straight to my heart and I always pretty much stop what I'm doing when the song comes on so I can close my eyes and listen to it. With that gone, I can't really concentrate on the rest of the song! it just seems to meander.

The most IMPORTANT and valued asset, to me, is the mix. I think it's the best mixed of all the shows to date. Best of all, as a drummer, I can hear everything Charlie does more clearly than - literally - on any other recording I own. I've always appreciated Charlie; this is a tour de force in drumming, Charlie Watts style. The man is the sound of the Rolling Stones, in my opinion, and on this recording one can really discern why that's the case.

So overall, I'm enjoying it, I'm not wowed by it, I think the mix is great, and...already looking forward to the next one. Hopefully it's be a classic, like El Mocambo, or something equally worthy. And hopefully this series will continue for a few years, some better received than others, but in the end providing a great glimpse into the legacy of the band we love.

MrMonte

Date: October 19, 2012 16:44

MrMonte
I feel badly for those unable to get the show. That is patently unfair and you've just got to wonder about these guys. It's interesting that posters automatically assume there's some greed-based motivation behind every single thing. Unfortunately, it is probably true, or at least part of the equation.

As for the show, now that I've listened to it a couple times, I can say this: it's enjoyable but questionable, and certainly not a classic archival bootleg or anything of the sort. They could have done better.

The highlights for me are Mr. Pitiful and the new version of 19th Nervious Breakdown, as well as Get Up Stand Up. I saw them perform that in Philly on the ABB tour and I was really impressed they tackled that. There's just a bit too much ABB for what is really only 15 songs, and then three of them at the end are just warhorses not particularly played with any inspiration.

A note on those: JJF sings. BS is solid but nothing noteworthy. Now, Tumbling Dice, that's worth mentioning. It's boring, but worse than that, they do a very perfunctory intro that deviates from how they've always done it, which is closer to the record. The reason I mention this is because to my ears, that sweeping guitar Keith plays right before the vocals come in IS MY FAVORITE GUITAR IN ALL OF STONEDOM. I don't know why, it just hits me in a certain way. It's only a half measure or maybe even less, but it just has a way of going straight to my heart and I always pretty much stop what I'm doing when the song comes on so I can close my eyes and listen to it. With that gone, I can't really concentrate on the rest of the song! it just seems to meander.

The most IMPORTANT and valued asset, to me, is the mix. I think it's the best mixed of all the shows to date. Best of all, as a drummer, I can hear everything Charlie does more clearly than - literally - on any other recording I own. I've always appreciated Charlie; this is a tour de force in drumming, Charlie Watts style. The man is the sound of the Rolling Stones, in my opinion, and on this recording one can really discern why that's the case.

So overall, I'm enjoying it, I'm not wowed by it, I think the mix is great, and...already looking forward to the next one. Hopefully it's be a classic, like El Mocambo, or something equally worthy. And hopefully this series will continue for a few years, some better received than others, but in the end providing a great glimpse into the legacy of the band we love.

MrMonte

Good review! thumbs up

It should be mentioned that they never have ended Tumbling Dice this way, either.

Keith did some licks in the ending there that I've never heard before - and eventually he does the B/A/G/A/G-ending on the G-string that he always does, only slower.

Toronto Phoenix (Live, 2005) EUROPE IS STILL WAITING
Posted by: elmod ()
Date: October 19, 2012 19:26

confused smiley

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 19, 2012 20:16

Doxa
Is A BIGGER BANG TOUR over-all a kind of tour that needs to be 'corrected' with better release? What difference does it make? To show that the band actually could do 'better' if they had willed - but instead of got endless run of autopilot Vegas shows? Will that make me feel better? Hmm...

I'm unsure if their main objective by releasing this particular concert was in some way them trying to "correct" or improve the tour's reputation, per se. Everything about this particular recording warranted a release in this archive series: 1) the band is performing very, very well, 2) there is a healthy mix of obscure/rare songs and warhorses, 3) it's a rare club show and most importantly: 4) this recording has never ever been heard before: no leaked soundboards or audienece recordings of any kind. Save for a few short video clips we saw on their YouTube videos---this concert was almost completely unavailble. That, to me, is enough reason to release this concert--regardless if it was from 2005 or 1978.

The reason this release may "sting" more than usual is perhaps because we just got the Tokyo recording right before this, another modern era Stones show. It was a good enough release but I think we all were looking for something vintage to come right after that particular release. Tokyo was rather bland and overall benign. In addition to that, we are probably more than burnt out on anymore releases from the Bigger Bang tour. We have more than enough from this tour so yet another recording from this tour is overkill.

But, for me, I am happy to say that this recording is all I'll need from this tour. I can finally put aside all the other releases as if they've never happened. I wish I can somehow "unlisten" to all the crummy stuff I've heard: Keith's bum notes, Mick's nasal singing and the sometimes lazy playing by the entire band but sadly I can't.

If anything, this Toronto recording does in fact "correct" my vision of the band that was left in dire condition when the ABB tour ended. The end of the ABB tour brought me doubts if my favorite still "had it." This recording (coupled with the Satiama 2006 show) proves that they did. So that to me, is worth $5. I hope when you do get the release, you find something of value in it as well.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 19, 2012 20:24

KeithNacho
Siempre negativo, nunca positivo...........

Always here...

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 19, 2012 20:34

Doxa
Here I am commenting a live recording I can't hear, a movie I can't see, and supposedly soon live concerts I don't attend to....eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

For the first point, bootleg the official bootleg...ya should got some good friends who already got the show...
For the second point you will get the DVD soon
For the last point It's only £££ and $$$ and they like it...sadly.

HMN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 20, 2012 05:32

I like what Daryl ads to She's so cold.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 20, 2012 05:46

I noticed a lot of Darryl in this recording as well. Some small nice moments; he is much more audible here which is refreshing. I wish the guy added his own stamp to the music though. Most of the time, he plays such safe, harmless stuff that he instantly vanishes in the background. Keith loves him so much probably for that very reason: he stays out of the way giving Keith more space to do whatever he wants to do. Great for Keith; sucks for us. Didn't Keith or Darryl realize that part of the push/pull that the Stones had when Bill was there was that Bill had his own musical identity in the band? Darryl could easily do the same thing if he tried. By this point he wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes or disrespecting the band or its legacy in any way.

He's been with them for 18 years now for godsakes---the guy should feel free to color outside the lines a little bit!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-20 05:47 by Justin.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 20, 2012 06:07

Finally gave it a complete listen... the sound mix gives me a headache. Too much bass guitar. Just way too much. To compressed. Needs more snare, less room and more room to breath. I enjoyed a good bit of it but won't be playing it frequently.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 20, 2012 07:08

Justin
I noticed a lot of Darryl in this recording as well. Some small nice moments; he is much more audible here which is refreshing. I wish the guy added his own stamp to the music though. Most of the time, he plays such safe, harmless stuff that he instantly vanishes in the background. Keith loves him so much probably for that very reason: he stays out of the way giving Keith more space to do whatever he wants to do. Great for Keith; sucks for us. Didn't Keith or Darryl realize that part of the push/pull that the Stones had when Bill was there was that Bill had his own musical identity in the band? Darryl could easily do the same thing if he tried. By this point he wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes or disrespecting the band or its legacy in any way.

He's been with them for 18 years now for godsakes---the guy should feel free to color outside the lines a little bit!

yeah, that's the thing with him. its not that he plays bad, he's just not very noticeable on most songs. she's so cold is a rare case where I hear everyone else in the band wrapped around his playing and it sounds pretty good.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1715
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home