Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14
Re: OT: Re Aurora Colorado
Date: July 25, 2012 20:13

RE: "for a disaster of a thread that is only going down in flames."

------

-- let’s see if I can notch this down a few levels into something even you can understand and accept; far as i can tell, only thing bringing it down is the tripe you put out like diarrhea in a salmonella ward; your defamation of the thread is just a mere convienience on your part. i suggest you prepair a better defence. my advice would be to just stay away, since those who are not up to holding their own for what ever reason usually post big, dumb pics, instead

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 25, 2012 20:18

GumbootCloggeroo
stonesnow, why open and post in a thread that you have no interest in?

More to the point, why create a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with the Rolling Stones, rock-n-roll, or music? How many political songs have the Rolling Stones even released in 50 years? You could count them on the fingers of Mickey Mouse's left hand. Now, if this were a Clash forum or a Bob Geldof forum, perhaps then it would be a different story.

True, I have no interest in this topic. It just amuses me that music fans think they're going to solve society's problems by hashing them out on a music fan club message board. Honestly! Why not send your posts to the editorial pages of your local newspaper, where they belong? That way you'll have a wider, more focused readership? The space that can be saved with the absence of useless threads like this could be put to better (and more entertaining) use. It's only rock-n-roll, after all...

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 25, 2012 20:36

Again,

What's worse
The horrors inflicted by the European countries though out history on the people of Africa , Asia , Indian , south and north America ????
Or the USA gun problem???[/quote]

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 25, 2012 20:40

GOO, please include The Rolling Stones in your question. We exist here solely for stonesnow's enjoyment. If he's not having a good time then we have failed him. Thank you for your cooperation.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 25, 2012 20:44

Ok

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 25, 2012 21:02

Edith Grove
stonesrule
How many here own guns or know how to shoot?

I own a gun, and I know how to shoot, but it's been many years since I have.

How many people did you kill then? Now we're honest, just tell it.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 25, 2012 21:16

kleermaker
Edith Grove
stonesrule

I killed a few beers at the pub afterwards.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 25, 2012 21:22

Edith Grove
kleermaker
Edith Grove
stonesrule

I killed a few beers at the pub afterwards.

Thats not killing. Thats loving.

Date: July 25, 2012 21:22

Young Billy Wyman was way ahead of his time when he penned the NRA theme song for the Monkey Grip LP.

Good job Bill

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: July 25, 2012 21:28

A fine film critic, but he can keep his bleeding heart liberal policies to himself. Now I expect each of you who feels so strongly that guns don't make us safer to post this sign on your lawn:

"THIS HOME IS NOT PROTECTED BY FIREARMS"

Date: July 25, 2012 21:45

RE: "A fine film critic, but he can keep his bleeding heart liberal policies to himself. Now I expect each of you who feels so strongly that guns don't make us safer to post this sign on your lawn:

"THIS HOME IS NOT PROTECTED BY FIREARMS""

-------------------

- - how about you put up a sign on your lawn advertising that your home IS protected by firearms?

- - which equates basically to advertising 'I'VE GOT GUNS TO STEAL'

- - and dont forget to put on the sign what kind of firearms you have 'protecting' you, too

- - you know, to make sure the next robber makes sure he is packing extra heat..

..but hey, Im no psychologist

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2012 22:02

StonedInTokyo
A fine film critic, but he can keep his bleeding heart liberal policies to himself. Now I expect each of you who feels so strongly that guns don't make us safer to post this sign on your lawn:

In Canada we don't need to, it is presumed that no one has firearms in their home. A bit of a waste of lawn space in that respect.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 25, 2012 22:03

BBC reports a 43% rise in applications for firearms permits and soaring gun sales since the Aurora shooting.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

What puzzles me is the theory that the massacre would not have happened, or would have been over sooner, if the victims had had guns to protect themselves. But surely they were already entitled to be carrying weapons? So why weren't the Armed Citizens there, shooting it out with the murderer? The theory didn't work in practice at this shooting or at any other that I can recall (though I would be interested to hear of any occasions when it did). The perpetrator is either arrested, shot by armed police or shoots himself - I do not recall an occasion where he gets shot by a potential civilian victim.

Anyway, deepest sympathy to all affected by this horrible event.

Date: July 25, 2012 22:14

StonedInTokyo

Let me give you an example of a fundamental principal of psychology. Suppose you're a burglar. And burglars do break into houses, don't they? Well, you are almost sure that if there's someone inside, he/she will shoot you down. So what will you do? You'll enter that house and kill everyone you see. Just for your own protection. Simply a matter of self defence.

I live in Holland. Almost nobody here does have a gun in his/her house. But do you suppose we have no burglars here? Wrong! We have many of them! And they break into our houses, sometimes even when we're at home ourselves. But what do almost all our dear burglars think? Good guess! They aren't afraid to get shot, so they almost never have a gun, let alone that they kill you by shooting.

If you don't believe my story, then use your brains (if they're inside your head). Well, suppose that our burglars would kill us when they break into our houses. What do you think most of us would do? Good guess again, you are allowed to the second round. We would get a gun!

So we don't use a sign in our garden or wherever with the sentence:

because it would be superfluous and thus ridiculous. We're not saying what's already known by everyone. If we would do, it wouldn't make any difference at all. Maybe our neighbours would say to us: Well, any real news today?

So I advice all Americans to put such a sign on their lawn. It would save lives. Or do you say now: Saving lives is so liberal!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 25, 2012 22:41

Green Lady
What puzzles me is the theory that the massacre would not have happened, or would have been over sooner, if the victims had had guns to protect themselves. But surely they were already entitled to be carrying weapons? So why weren't the Armed Citizens there, shooting it out with the murderer?

An extremely small percentage of (law abiding) people actually carry a gun on their person.
Most gun owners have a gun for home protection, and depending on the individiual State's law, some carry a gun in their vehicle.

Rarely do you see someone carrying a handgun, unless they are law-enforcement or security.
Some states allow to carry a concealed gun, but you need a special permit and a damn good reason for needing it.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 25, 2012 22:44

The problem won't be solved with all these extreme attitudes. People who want to ban all guns are extreme imo. Likewise people who think they have a right to any gun and any ammo they want are also extreme imo. We need to focus on better regulation as far as what kinds of guns can be sold to civilians and who they are being sold to- better background checks, longer waiting periods etc..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2012 22:47

FrankM
The problem won't be solved with all these extreme attitudes. People who want to ban all guns are extreme imo. Likewise people who think they have a right to any gun and any ammo they want are also extreme imo. We need to focus on better regulation as far as what kinds of guns can be sold to civilians and who they are being sold to- better background checks, longer waiting periods etc..

I only would like to point out what I think is the obvious, which is that in almost every country in the world, the position that banning handguns would be considered to be a normal view, not an extremist view.

Don't want to argue with you, but I think that should be pointed out.

Date: July 25, 2012 22:48

Munichhilton
Young Billy Wyman was way ahead of his time when he penned the NRA theme song for the Monkey Grip LP.

Good job Bill

Finally, a Stones tie-in! Makes the thread worthwhile after all.

Date: July 25, 2012 22:50

When I break into its usually drunk and completely by accident.
A good strong 'sorry' sometimes does it, but so does stumbling away really fast...

Date: July 25, 2012 22:55

In other news this week, Cal Ripken's mom has been abducted. Any baseball fans here? Think I'll start a thread...

Date: July 25, 2012 23:03

GumbootCloggeroo
We exist here solely for stonesnow's enjoyment.

You are incorrect, O morally high-minded self-righteous one! IORR exists here for the enjoyment of MUSIC fans who wish to enthuse/discuss/debate the finer points of MUSIC topics. There is a place for threads like this--talk radio and the editorial pages or online comment sections of your chosen news outlets. Got it?!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 25, 2012 23:06

Stonesnow: You've missed the current point of this thread... It's no longer a thread for the discussion of the shooting in Colorado or how to solve this type of problem, it's a thread for the users who dislike the USA to bash away at the laws, customs & culture of the USA.

Pinkfloydthebarber has a problem with stolen weapons from the USA being smuggled into Canada and used in crimes there. Does he/she complain about Canada's immigration policy or customs officials? No. Complaining about laws in the neighboring country is far more fun than pointing out your own country's failures.

When it's pointed out by me that as opposed to one idiot shooting up a movie theater, 100+ civilians were killed in dozens of separate terrorist attacks in Iraq on last Monday I was dismissed with the point that there's a civil war going on in Iraq. Although there's actually not a civil war going on there, in the barber's eyes apparently you can kill as many civilians as you like if you claim there is. Apparently the difference between the two is one incident allows the barber to bash the USA for days on end while the other doesn't meet the criteria for their need to bash the USA and is therefore dismissed.

Now we've got people pointing out what happens with to much freedom and citing obesity issues, shopping at walmart, etc. I believe that someone actually used the phrase "to much freedom". WHAT??? In my world that's not possible.

Let's face it folks, those of us in the USA who love and are willing to defend our freedom understand that much of the world doesn't like or understand our point of view. We respect your right to disagree with us and generally won't waste to much of our time if you don't extend us the right to disagree with you. Feel free to keep posting how superior all of the places you live are. If it makes you feel better to point out the flaws of the USA, go for it. I hope it makes you feel better. I really do. However, when I go to sleep tonight, with the gun in my nightstand and as much freedom as I can keep my government from stealing from me, I'll know that, for all of our faults, I wouldn't trade the laws, cultures or traditions of the USA for any country on earth... OK, I might be willing to trade Obamacare away if I could find someone who actually wanted it.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 25, 2012 23:15

treaclefingers
FrankM

I only would like to point out what I think is the obvious, which is that in almost every country in the world, the position that banning handguns would be considered to be a normal view, not an extremist view.

Don't want to argue with you, but I think that should be pointed out.

I can only go from my own perspective. Here in America the total ban of handguns would be considered an extreme position- that's not to say anybody who wants it is an extremist in the crazy sense.

Does that mean we are right and the rest of the world is wrong? Of course not, it just means there are differing views.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-25 23:19 by FrankM.

Date: July 25, 2012 23:28

RE: "I only would like to point out what I think is the obvious, which is that in almost every country in the world, the position that banning handguns would be considered to be a normal view, not an extremist view."

--------------

-- i'd pretty much agree agree with that. so do the facts. it's been proven already that guns kept in the home for self-protection are about 50 times more likely to kill a family member, yourself, a friend or acquaintance than an intruder

likewise, guns on the street actually make people less safe, not more safe

how do more guns at home and in the street protect the nearly 3,000 children who are killed by firearms in the USA annually?

it doesnt protect them at all

so what 'right' is being protected if it is not the right to be safe, other than the right to 'feel' safe, at the expense of actual safety?

here in Canada, in order to possess a firearm, any firearm, you must acquire a firearms acquisition certificate, (FAC) as it's known here in Ontario. the name may chnge across the country but the regulations are the same. when you apply for the FAC, firstly you must be of age of majority. next you must pass a background check, meaning if you have a criminal record, you can forget it. now, if you want to buy a handgun, you must present your FAC, and it must be registered. you must take a course in firearms handling, and pass the test. you had to register a long gun as well until recently, when our nitwit government caved in to elmer fudd's across the land

all this has been happening here for a looong time. for handguns that's not a 'ban,' though, but there certainly are restrictions on ownership, it is enforced, and that is just common sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-25 23:29 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Date: July 25, 2012 23:30

mr_dja
Stonesnow: You've missed the current point of this thread... It's no longer a thread for the discussion of the shooting in Colorado or how to solve this type of problem, it's a thread for the users who dislike the USA to bash away at the laws, customs & culture of the USA.

Pinkfloydthebarber has a problem with stolen weapons from the USA being smuggled into Canada and used in crimes there. Does he/she complain about Canada's immigration policy or customs officials? No. Complaining about laws in the neighboring country is far more fun than pointing out your own country's failures.

When it's pointed out by me that as opposed to one idiot shooting up a movie theater, 100+ civilians were killed in dozens of separate terrorist attacks in Iraq on last Monday I was dismissed with the point that there's a civil war going on in Iraq. Although there's actually not a civil war going on there, in the barber's eyes apparently you can kill as many civilians as you like if you claim there is. Apparently the difference between the two is one incident allows the barber to bash the USA for days on end while the other doesn't meet the criteria for their need to bash the USA and is therefore dismissed.

Now we've got people pointing out what happens with to much freedom and citing obesity issues, shopping at walmart, etc. I believe that someone actually used the phrase "to much freedom". WHAT??? In my world that's not possible.

Let's face it folks, those of us in the USA who love and are willing to defend our freedom understand that much of the world doesn't like or understand our point of view. We respect your right to disagree with us and generally won't waste to much of our time if you don't extend us the right to disagree with you. Feel free to keep posting how superior all of the places you live are. If it makes you feel better to point out the flaws of the USA, go for it. I hope it makes you feel better. I really do. However, when I go to sleep tonight, with the gun in my nightstand and as much freedom as I can keep my government from stealing from me, I'll know that, for all of our faults, I wouldn't trade the laws, cultures or traditions of the USA for any country on earth... OK, I might be willing to trade Obamacare away if I could find someone who actually wanted it.

Peace,
Mr DJA

This is by far the psychologically most interesting post in this topic. So many things to analyse here. So much contradictions in it. Almost unbelievable.

A true American 'hero' speaking here, just like that Naturalust person. And they always finish their (passive) aggressive posts with the word "peace", while they actually mean 'war'. It is so funny if it wasn't so sad. In the meanwhile they think they are such patriotic people, certainly having the American flag always in top of their houses or on their lawns. But in fact they all deserve their own little isle, where they are totally on their own, as free as a man can be, no government to be afraid of, no healthcare to fear. God bless 'em all. Be careful with that gun, 'Eugene'. Watch your balls when your dog is walking through your houses. And please, free us from that peace-lie. Most of us aren't fools.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 25, 2012 23:36

You forgot........your sign kleermaker............. peace grinning smiley

I think we should live in the USA to understand this gun thing.............at least that's what I think........

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 25, 2012 23:38

Edith Grove

An extremely small percentage of (law abiding) people actually carry a gun on their person.

Didn't you ever had/owed a gun that came from your father EG ?
Come on Man !
Sway .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: July 25, 2012 23:39

mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

Great post despite what others might think.

Throughout this thread most people are making well educated, well stated, stick to the topic arguments but as usual these threads always have a few posters that look to exploit any situation and use any event to bash the USA.

Date: July 25, 2012 23:45

mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

Good post and points, DJA. Although I must point out that a few years ago in the state of Massachusetts, where I live, what is now nationally known as Obamacare was originally marketed in this state as Romneycare, since he was the hypocrite who first signed this corporate pyramid scheme into law to begin with--you know, the all-American guy who vows to repeal it at the national level, if only he's elected. Hey, maybe we can now steer this thread toward the healthcare debate...[wink! wink!]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 25, 2012 23:49

I don’t know if equating liberal with being anti-gun is necessarily correct, as a fence sitting moderate, I have been discussing this situation with my liberal and conservative friends. My liberal friends want more gun control laws and my conservative friends want less, and a few of my liberal friends think guns should be banned. That being said, far more of my liberal friends own guns than my conservative friends...whatever that might mean.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1606
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home