Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Sopranos - Could've had more Stones songs.
Posted by: ImDeRankOutsider ()
Date: July 21, 2012 01:34

I've been watching The Sopranos lately and noticed the show only had about two decent 2 Stones songs, Thru and thru, and Moonlight Mile. Tony was a Classic Rock fan, Hbo perfectly could've added stones tunes to the many scenes where he's driving.. Damn.
I think Undercover of the night is played. confused smiley What the hell were they thinkin?

Re: The Sopranos - Could've had more Stones songs.
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 21, 2012 01:45

Eh, isn`t Sopranos `bout a gang of mafia guys? - Always disliked it...

Date: July 21, 2012 01:52

Sopranos is said to be one of the greatest series ever made. but that ain't the point here, all im saying is the show could've added more tunes from this great band.

Date: July 21, 2012 02:17

Like in this scene, i always thought When the whip comes down would've mixed in way better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-21 02:23 by ImDeRankOutsider.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 21, 2012 02:17

The Sopranos is one of the best written and acted shows on TV ever. And yeah, it could have had more stones, but also, there was a lot of other great music on it. Little Steven might have had something to do with that as well...

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 21, 2012 06:32

But they did resurrect this lost kinks Klassic, by Dave "Death of a Clown" Davies no less...

Living on a thin line....

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 21, 2012 06:56

one of the 5 best ever if not 3 best ever tv shows....more Stones would have been great....Hand of Fate....Too Much Blood....Saint of Me....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 21, 2012 08:50

On the episode where they did Karaoke, Janice sang Out Of Time.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 21, 2012 13:06

I think it's an extra on the series 6 DVD but creator David Chase is interviewed about the music and says he could've done the whole show using only Stones,Elvis Costello and a.n.other that I can't recall. I guess they just restrained themselves.

Date: July 21, 2012 15:26

restraint....as in some sense of a budget....hope they do a movie. the last episode was fantastic up until the screen went blank and they left us with the a smiling Tony Soprano with family eating onion rings.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 21, 2012 15:50

Leave it for Scorsese ?

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 21, 2012 18:43

exhpart
I think it's an extra on the series 6 DVD but creator David Chase is interviewed about the music and says he could've done the whole show using only Stones,Elvis Costello and a.n.other that I can't recall. I guess they just restrained themselves.

I think he said they could have had any one of three artists provide all of the music. It could have been all Rolling Stones, all Elvis Costello, or all Springsteen. But they chose to go a different route. He also mentioned that they had to put some fairly bad music in there because, well basically, people listen to it and they wanted it to be realistic.

Date: July 21, 2012 21:02

Rip This
restraint....as in some sense of a budget....hope they do a movie. the last episode was fantastic up until the screen went blank and they left us with the a smiling Tony Soprano with family eating onion rings.

It was some of the most thrilling and adventurous TV making in history. Tony finding out exactly what it meant to be whacked. You rarely heard it, were most often doing something as mundane as having dinner with your family, often with the people you loved and who loved you, and were now witnesses to your grand last act of karma. Tony died.

Date: July 21, 2012 21:44

..that's funny considering he wasn't killed.

Date: July 21, 2012 22:39

How do you know he wasn't killed? Chase, the writer, and director also has been vague, in an interview on radio he said Tony wasn't dead, it was just showing how life goes on.... but there was more on another radio interview where Chase lays it all out about Tony's death. Here is a great site that breaks apart the episode:

[masterofsopranos.wordpress.com]

But again here is the genius of the episode...it had and still has everyone who watched the show talking. Brilliant piece of television and a perfect ending for a perfect run. Enjoy that site, it really has some good stuff in it.

Date: July 21, 2012 23:03

That's one of the most absurd things I've ever read. What, next you'll think the next reissue of The Sound Of Music doesn't have enough Stones in it. Or that midget Marty - none of his movies have enough Stones in them.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 21, 2012 23:23

ryanpow
On the episode where they did Karaoke, Janice sang Out Of Time.

Didn't she have a Stones tattoo?

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 21, 2012 23:29

Yup she has a Stone's tongue on her breast.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 22, 2012 01:12

tomcasagranda
Leave it for Scorsese ?

Exactly! Gangster movies with lots of Stones songs is Scorsese's thing. No need for to go down that road.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 22, 2012 02:26

ab
tomcasagranda
Leave it for Scorsese ?

Exactly! Gangster movies with lots of Stones songs is Scorsese's thing. No need for to go down that road.

Yes, and I remember in the early days of the show, before it really came into its own, it drew a lot of comparisons to Scorsese films. It was probably best to not do anything to draw even more comparisons. Otherwise instead of being considered one of the best American TV shows ever (I never really watched it, but it does have that reputation in many circles) it could have gone down as a pay cable rehash of other films.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 22, 2012 05:10

movies with lots of Stones songs is Scorsese's thing

Yeah ...It's a wonder he didn't sqeeeeeeze Child Of The Moon inta Hugo

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 22, 2012 06:47

Keith's Make No Mistake was also played in an episode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-22 06:49 by LeonidP.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 22, 2012 22:14

THE SOPRANOS - PEPPERS & EGGS includes "Thru & Thru" and "Make No Mistake". This was supposedly the impetus for Keith resurrecting the former in concert. I got it for the exclusive Dylan track "Return To Me".

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 23, 2012 04:24

Along with the Soprano's, Mad Men belongs to that rare category of excellent TV shows of late. For its sixth season I hope we can here a Stones song. We heard a Beatles song and a couple Dylan numbers.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 23, 2012 04:35

Tony's sister had a stones tongue tattoo on her chest

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 23, 2012 04:39

Happy Jack
Along with the Soprano's, Mad Men belongs to that rare category of excellent TV shows of late. For its sixth season I hope we can here a Stones song. We heard a Beatles song and a couple Dylan numbers.

They already used Satisfaction in one episode, I think in season 5.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 23, 2012 04:54

Wry Cooter
But they did resurrect this lost kinks Klassic, by Dave "Death of a Clown" Davies no less...

Living on a thin line....

they also used this live version of "I'm not like everyone else". It worked brilliantly.

I think all the songs were used really well on the Sopranos Including Journey's "Don't Stop" on the final episode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-23 05:01 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 23, 2012 06:51

latebloomer
Happy Jack

They already used Satisfaction in one episode, I think in season 5.

It was season 4 episode 8 (I'm coming up to the episode as I watch the show). I forgot about it, until I looked it up. However, if the show continues in the trend it is, they should be moving into 1968, a year in which we could here Sympathy for the Devil, Jumping Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man and others put to good use.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 23, 2012 15:46

And..not music..but in one episode the priest character says "where you there when Jesus Christ had his moment of doubt and pain?"

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 23, 2012 16:48

I was tongue-in-cheek when I said that the Stones should be left for Scorsese movies. The Sopranos soundtracks were excellent, though where is Vol 3.

Speaking of excellent soundtracks: Treme Vols 1 & 2 are fantastic

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home