Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 53
Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 28, 2014 08:14

treaclefingers
stones = music you dance to

zep = music you play air guitar to

While dancing. winking smiley

Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 29, 2014 16:44

Aquamarine
treaclefingers
stones = music you dance to

zep = music you play air guitar to

While dancing. winking smiley

Too difficult, I hate messing the notes up on the solos.

OT: Jimmy Page & Robert Plant No Quarter Unledded Revisited
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 31, 2014 01:06

I have had this DVD lying around my house for a few years and I listened to only snippets of this show when I originally bought it, thinking too myself, I am not going to get too jazzed about it and enjoy it because it isn't a true Zeppelin show. Well, I had some time this weekend to myself without the wife and kid in the house and I cranked this show up on my surround sound system and listened to the whole thing. Man, I don't know where my head was at when I first sampled this DVD (which from what I understand was part of MTV's Unplugged series), but the music on this is just outstanding. Page and Plant polish off near perfect renditions of classic Zep tunes. All the contributing musicians (the orchestral touches and Middle Easter music) actually enhance and breathe new life into these classic Zeppelin tunes that are featured on the DVD. Plant sings very well and he is into these performances. Page is no slouch on his guitar parts either and he and Page work very well together. I don't know if others will agree with me, but I have always preferred the studio versions of Led Zeppelin over the live material that I have heard simply because many of Zep's classic tunes have featured layers of music and additional instruments that just wasn't replicated on the live stage. This particular show (even though it is not a true Zep show) is a fine representation of what Zep should have brought to the stage. Just my opinion.

Re: OT: Jimmy Page & Robert Plant No Quarter Unledded Revisited
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 31, 2014 01:52

I think it's okay for what it is. Zeppelin were much more than the sum of their parts; without Bonham and JPJ, the results were frequently underwhelming. Page & Plant wasn't bad - they're both outstanding musicians - but it all felt a bit ersatz. My favourite bits of that collaboration are the originals they did, Wonderful One and so forth.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 31, 2014 02:05

Stoneburst
I think it's okay for what it is. Zeppelin were much more than the sum of their parts; without Bonham and JPJ, the results were frequently underwhelming. Page & Plant wasn't bad - they're both outstanding musicians - but it all felt a bit ersatz. My favourite bits of that collaboration are the originals they did, Wonderful One and so forth.
Totally agree. However, the electric shows they did in like 1997 (where they were playing a lot of Zeppelin and opening with Wanton Song and closing with Whole Lotta Love/Rock And Roll) were really excellent shows. That was their peak and it actually kind of felt like Zeppelin was back.

I will say that even if they were underwhelming, they were smart not to tour as Zeppelin.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: March 31, 2014 02:25

Totally agree. Saw them live in that tour, maybe the best concert that I have atended. Awesome.

Date: March 31, 2014 02:27

RollingFreak
Totally agree. However, the electric shows they did in like 1997 (where they were playing a lot of Zeppelin and opening with Wanton Song and closing with Whole Lotta Love/Rock And Roll) were really excellent shows. That was their peak and it actually kind of felt like Zeppelin was back.

I will say that even if they were underwhelming, they were smart not to tour as Zeppelin.

That had a lot to do with Page, I think, who was on far, far better form towards the end of the 90s than he was on the first P&P tour.

And I agree completely on your last point. Zeppelin had, and their surviving members retain, a certain classiness that is totally absent from many of their contemporaries.

Date: March 31, 2014 02:29

I adore this DVD/era. I much prefer it, with the much more adventurous use of the Indian musicians, etc. to the 1997 era which was less interesting to me. (By the end of that tour they actually were touring as Zeppelin to all intents and purposes--the band name was even on some of the posters, along with their sigils from the LZIV era, but they were very wise not to make it official. It was often fantastic, but it wasn't Zeppelin.)

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 31, 2014 03:44

There's an amusing Zeppelin-related footnote to the Page/Plant project of 1994. At the acceptance speech for their Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction on January 12, 1995, John Paul Jones embarrassed Page and Plant by stating: "Thank you, my friends, for finally remembering my phone number."

Perhaps JPJ felt he should have been a part of the No Quarter project, but it seems he was deliberately excluded by Page and Plant to avoid the Zeppelin comparisons--as if there wouldn't be enough already with Page and Plant working together once again.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: March 31, 2014 03:51

Loved it- saw them in Vancouver - Kashmir was outstanding

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 31, 2014 03:54

I love the version of Kashmir from that DVD. The orchestra really adds something IMO.

Have any good bootlegs emerged from this tour?

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: March 31, 2014 04:16

I thought on that tour that they had a section allowed for tapers if my memory serves me well (Peter Grant would have been ticked off) - I have one called "Simple Truth" - San Jose June 20th

Posted by: erad ()
Date: March 31, 2014 04:47

The Glastonbury soundboard is good. I love the versions of In The Evening from that tour with the Middle Eastern intro and the snippets of Carouselambra that they put in, worked seamlessly.

Date: March 31, 2014 09:14

erad
I love the versions of In The Evening from that tour with the Middle Eastern intro and the snippets of Carouselambra that they put in, worked seamlessly.

Me too, just gorgeous.

Those two tours are like the motherlode of boots, really. I think there's a decent full-length version of every show out there somewhere. I've got about 25, many of them pro-shot.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 31, 2014 13:30

peter wilson
I thought on that tour that they had a section allowed for tapers if my memory serves me well (Peter Grant would have been ticked off) - I have one called "Simple Truth" - San Jose June 20th

Taper sections were authorized but ONLY for the first leg of the United States tour (Spring 1995). Other bands of the era had taken the same approach to try to combat profiteering from bootlegs and generate a buzz for the remainder of a world tour.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 1, 2014 01:11

Aquamarine
erad
I love the versions of In The Evening from that tour with the Middle Eastern intro and the snippets of Carouselambra that they put in, worked seamlessly.

Me too, just gorgeous.

Those two tours are like the motherlode of boots, really. I think there's a decent full-length version of every show out there somewhere. I've got about 25, many of them pro-shot.

I was reading your post. I've wanted to delve further into this music and acquire some other high quality recordings either on CD or pro-shot DVD from the No Quarter period that featured Plant and Page. Are there other shows that you recommend featuring the additional musicians doing Zep tunes via like the Unledded MTV show that you can steer me to?

Date: April 1, 2014 01:22

Sighunt
Aquamarine
erad

Me too, just gorgeous.

I was reading your post. I've wanted to delve further into this music and acquire some other high quality recordings either on CD or pro-shot DVD from the No Quarter period that featured Plant and Page. Are there other shows that you recommend featuring the additional musicians doing Zep tunes via like the Unledded MTV show that you can steer me to?

My favorites from that first era are New Orleans 1995, Santa Monica 1995, Milwaukee 1995, Buenos Aires 1996 and Budokan (Japan) 1996. There's also some great video of the first day of the Unledded shoot, which is mostly rehearsal, before they taped the show the next day.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 1, 2014 01:31

The whole Unleaded - No Quarter thing was very interesting and I get the fact Jones was excluded because Plant didn't want to make it a Zeppelin thing. When they released Last Train to Clarksdale and hit the road again, while I enjoyed the shows, my personal feeling was Jones should have been part of this.
...Anyway, For the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, I'm glad they remembered Joney's phone number.

(Yes I know it wasn't called Last Train to........)

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 1, 2014 02:33

BluzDude

...Anyway, For the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, I'm glad they remembered Joney's phone number.

Yeah, that was pretty cool.

Date: April 1, 2014 06:13

No offense but IMHO this is not so great. As a fan of Zepplin and (early) Aerosmith, I think both bands are great although, after viewing this clip, not necessarily when they are playing together.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: April 1, 2014 09:01

One of my favourite tunes that Page & Plant did on the '95 tour, one of Plants solo tunes. This is a great version:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-01 09:03 by erad.

Date: April 1, 2014 15:11

Here's a longer video from the R&RHOF induction, with a slow blues medley beginning about four minutes in - I'm not an Aerosmith fan and I think they're pretty superfluous throughout the performance, but Pagey plays some great stuff here.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 1, 2014 16:24

peter wilson
I thought on that tour that they had a section allowed for tapers if my memory serves me well

You're right but the section was located... behind the soundboard!
Thta's why many tapes sound bad and distant. Someone with stealth gear and a good ticket would have come up with a better recrording...

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: April 1, 2014 17:05

It's been common knowledge for years that one of the main reasons Jones was not included on the tour and albums is because, a million dollars split three ways is a lot less than a million dollars split two ways. Plus Plant's daughter was going out with the bass player that they did use.

Date: April 1, 2014 17:26

Turning To Gold
It's been common knowledge for years that one of the main reasons Jones was not included on the tour and albums is because, a million dollars split three ways is a lot less than a million dollars split two ways.

Ridiculous for if they'd reformed they'd have split 90 million three ways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-01 17:30 by StonedInTokyo.

Date: April 1, 2014 17:38

Sighunt
I've wanted to delve further into this music and acquire some other high quality recordings either on CD or pro-shot DVD from the No Quarter period that featured Plant and Page. Are there other shows that you recommend featuring the additional musicians doing Zep tunes via like the Unledded MTV show that you can steer me to?

IMHO, although there isn't a bad show in the bunch when the tour began in Feb '95 Jimmy didn't quite have his chops back. Yet as the world tour rolled on he only got better and better. He was at his best during the 2nd US leg in Oct '95, but the set lists in Japan (Feb '96) proved to be a bit more adventurous.

I attended several shows in the US & Europe and as I said, I don't think you'll find a bad one in the bunch. FWIW, I think this pro-shot video from Irvine on Oct 3, 1995 is arguably the best 1995 video source in circulation:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-01 17:39 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 1, 2014 17:52

Thanks for that StonedInTokyo!
This was the one of the shows I attended, and have never seen this...very clean!
Didn't they play two shows at Irvine Ampitheater?
Or was it somewhere else in Southern California? Greek Theater maybe? Or Pacific Ampitheater?

I still have a baseball cap from that tour!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: After a little digging, I just found this site that says they played twice at the Forum in May, and then came back to SoCal in October and played twice at Irvine Ampitheater.
I know I saw one of the May Forum dates, but am not sure which one.
Same for the Irvine shows...not sure which of the two. Will have to dig out the ticket stub archives.

>PagePlant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-01 18:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 1, 2014 17:56

Particularly loved this band. I do think they were able to provide a great alternative version of many Zep hits. When I saw them live, the band literally blew me away.

C

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 1, 2014 18:13

Hairball
Thanks for that StonedInTokyo!
This was the one of the shows I attended, and have never seen this...very clean!
Didn't they play two shows at Irvine Ampitheater?
Or was it somewhere else in Southern California? Greek Theater maybe? Or Pacific Ampitheater?

I still have a baseball cap from that tour!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: After a little digging, I just found this site that says they played twice at the Forum in May, and then came back to SoCal in October and played twice at Irvine Ampitheater.
I know I saw one of the May Forum dates, but am not sure which one.

Same for the Irvine shows...not sure which of the two. Will have to dig out the ticket stub archives.

>PagePlant

I was at the second Forum show with great seats (or standing that is). This guy right in front of me was wearing a foot tall top hat complete with camera inside. I told him to move out of my way or I will have him busted.

When P/P returned a few years later without the Egyptian orchestra, I saw that show at the Hollywood Bowl. I think Plant quit the tour a week or two after.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 1, 2014 18:20

Bluzdude...that was me in the foot tall top hat!!! haha, just kidding... grinning smiley
I missed the P/P tour that you mentioned as I was living in the UK at the time.
I did see the Page 'Outrider' solo tour at the Forum though...I believe that was '88.
Also The Firm whenever that was...early-mid '80's?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-01 18:23 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1728
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home