Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 15
Re: Stones to appear in London on July 12
Date: July 7, 2012 02:01

Tonstone
StonesTod
Gazza
All very well in theory, but the 2012 version of the Stones' target audience wouldn't recognise the blues if it jumped up and bit them on the arse.

just too fat to turn around and look?

'Whats so special about July 12th'

Keith will announce he's faxing in this 'tour'?

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: July 7, 2012 15:09

Please post here if you have any confirmed infos about time of the event etc

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 7, 2012 17:41

dimrstone

First: I have absolutely no new infos for the next Thursday sad smiley

But imagine: what could happen, if the Stones are in London?

Could they give a press conference with a outline of the promised "lots of lovely things" for the 50-years-celebration?

A press conference in the style of the 2005 Press Conference at NY Juilliard School of Music including a mini-concert?

In those days, the ABB album was to 85 percent ready.

Maybe next Thursday only 15 percent of the "lots of lovely things" are ready (new book, documentary) and the rest is to be announced ...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-07 23:10 by Irix.

Date: July 7, 2012 17:50

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 7, 2012 18:56

They'll tour eventually. Don't want to be upstaged by the Beach Boys. :p

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 7, 2012 19:06

jazzbass

I'm of the opinion that they won't actually tour, so much as perhaps "do some shows". I don't think they're up for "a tour" as such, at least not one of any length. But I would like to think that perhaps we might just have not quite have yet seen the end of them as a live act. Gut feeling, that's all !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 7, 2012 22:18

paulywaul
jazzbass

I'm of the opinion that they won't actually tour, so much as perhaps "do some shows". I don't think they're up for "a tour" as such, at least not one of any length. But I would like to think that perhaps we might just have not quite have yet seen the end of them as a live act. Gut feeling, that's all !

The problem with the "just a few shows" scenario is that it always takes them at least a few shows to warm up. And if they do anything live, they'll certainly want to record and release it. By the end of a tour, they're always tight as a drum, whereas the first show of a tour can be a bit shaky and loose. If they have any such plans to announce it will be done on July 12 when they have a significant media event to call their own. They've certainly got enough left in them for another year or two of work. It's Mick that needs to be in tip-top shape, not Keith.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 7, 2012 22:45

Irix
dimrstone

That's the problem. I expect to be underwhelmed.

A photocall and that's about it. I'd be surprised if they do a Q&A with the press, as most journalists will probably still be more fixated on 'todgergate' and the chance to exploit that with BOTH Mick and Keith present than on anything the Stones plan to do as a band. I'd imagine any questions they do allow will be vetted beforehand.

So I'll keep the expectancy and excitement levels pretty low, and anything more than that will be a bonus.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 7, 2012 22:48

Gazza
Irix
dimrstone

A photocall and that's about it. I'd be surprised if they do a Q&A with the press, as most journalists will probably still be more fixated on 'todgergate' and the chance to exploit that with BOTH Mick and Keith present than on anything the Stones plan to do as a band. I'd imagine any questions they do allow will be vetted beforehand.

So I'll keep the expectancy and excitement levels pretty low, and anything more than that will be a bonus.

an impromptu performance of streets of love with charlie playing pennywhistle and keith on kazoo would be a bonus?

Date: July 7, 2012 22:50

StonesTod
Gazza
Irix
dimrstone

an impromptu performance of streets of love with charlie playing pennywhistle and keith on kazoo would be a bonus?

I'd actually pay good money to watch that. Could only be a marked improvement on the studio version.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 7, 2012 22:53

dimrstone

Message from Somerset House

There is a private function taking place that is strictly invitation only.

That's all....

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 7, 2012 22:59

Gazza
StonesTod
Gazza
Irix
dimrstone

I'd actually pay good money to watch that. Could only be a marked improvement on the studio version.

would i be forced to sing-along by gunpoint again?

Date: July 7, 2012 23:08

Lien
dimrstone

That's all....

That means no inevitable press questions about recording, touring, etc. It is likely to be something of a scripted tv show, a bit like the Stones' version of This Is Your Life...

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 7, 2012 23:30

So it's not a red carpet,press,crowd type of event ?

sc uk

Posted by: Amyl Nitrate ()
Date: July 7, 2012 23:30

Date: July 7, 2012 23:38

stonesnow
Lien
dimrstone

That's all....

That means no inevitable press questions about recording, touring, etc. It is likely to be something of a scripted tv show, a bit like the Stones' version of This Is Your Life...

Or penises.

You're sadly mistaken if you think the average journalist gives a toss about whether the Stones will make a new record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-07 23:39 by Gazza.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 7, 2012 23:49

I hope Sir Michael doesn't overstay his visit in London. Internal Revenue wouldn't like that, would they?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 7, 2012 23:55

Stoneage
I hope Sir Michael doesn't overstay his visit in London. Internal Revenue wouldn't like that, would they?

au contraire...they'd freakin' love it.

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: July 7, 2012 23:56

Lien
dimrstone

That's all....

Please tell us where did you found this.
What is your source?

Date: July 8, 2012 00:03

straycatuk
So it's not a red carpet,press,crowd type of event?

Nope. It's gonna be a red coal carpet type of event.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 8, 2012 00:10

Gazza
stonesnow
Lien
dimrstone

That's all....

Or penises.

You're sadly mistaken if you think the average journalist gives a toss about whether the Stones will make a new record.

With all due respect,Gazza, but they were not the journalists who started to talk about it. I don't mean only the book itself. This is Richards' interview with the Times celebrity news columnist K. Moran (he/ J. Rose chose her to do this job, they didn't want any respected music or culture writer - for obvious reason) - with which he began publicity for the book. In this interview KR discussed it personally, and then allowed to publish that article
Richards specifically drew attention to the topic - for sensationalism, to attract attention to the book, for the sales. Perhaps he did not think that in two years Mick's penis will be the only subject everyone would want to ask him about - and so they have to cancel all the press conferences now.
Not only the press conference any public appearances, actually

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-08 00:16 by proudmary.

Date: July 8, 2012 00:11

Gazza

The average journalist is not the average Stones fan. The real news would be a new tour, which could be potentially record-breaking. An album would be recorded to support it, which of course everyone on this board would give a listen to discuss/debate its merits. A new Stones album would be an immediate top 5 seller, if not no. 1. A new Stones album always does just fine.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 8, 2012 00:22

dimrstone
Lien
dimrstone

That's all....

What is your source?

In my mailbox...
Just asked some questions to the guy from visitor services and communications,and this was all he wrote back..

Date: July 8, 2012 00:25

dimrstone
Lien
dimrstone

That's all....

What is your source?

See? Right there in bold it says "Message from Somerset House".

Date: July 8, 2012 00:29

stonesnow
Gazza

The average journalist is not the average Stones fan.

No kidding. eye rolling smiley

However, which of the two groups are more likely to have access to this event and get to ask questions of the band?

Their target readership are going to be more interested in salacious gossip than music.

Date: July 8, 2012 00:40

Gazza
stonesnow
Gazza

However, which of the two groups are more likely to have access to this event and get to ask questions of the band?

Their target readership are going to be more interested in salacious gossip than music.

If their target readership will not care about Stones music/tours, then they will obviously have no interest in gossip about them either. However, a significant amount of their target readership is also a target audience for the Stones. Therefore, questions of at least a tour would seem inevitable, don't you think? But it looks as though (Mick) may not be allowing that...

Date: July 8, 2012 01:22

stonesnow
Gazza
stonesnow
Gazza

If their target readership will not care about Stones music/tours, then they will obviously have no interest in gossip about them either. However, a significant amount of their target readership is also a target audience for the Stones. Therefore, questions of at least a tour would seem inevitable, don't you think? But it looks as though (Mick) may not be allowing that...

Are you kidding? Do you live in the UK?

I didnt say they wouldn't ask about a tour, but if a tabloid newspaper has a circulation if about 5 million people, the percentage of that readership who care about musical related updates on any given entertainer is incredibly small. A tour - for sure. A new record? Far less. The average Stones ticket buyer doesnt even care about new music, so the general public arent going to.

People don't buy British tabloid newspapers because of the quality of their music coverage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-08 01:26 by Gazza.

Date: July 8, 2012 01:52

Gazza
stonesnow
Gazza
stonesnow
Gazza

Are you kidding? Do you live in the UK?

I didnt say they wouldn't ask about a tour, but if a tabloid newspaper has a circulation if about 5 million people, the percentage of that readership who care about musical related updates on any given entertainer is incredibly small. A tour - for sure. A new record? Far less. The average Stones ticket buyer doesnt even care about new music, so the general public arent going to.

People don't buy British tabloid newspapers because of the quality of their music coverage.

No, I live in the U.S. I was just pointing out that the general public [in the UK] wouldn't care so much for gossip about people as old as the Stones... or would they? I am aware of the ageist attitude in your country toward old bands/musicians--although Macca did recently have an album in the top 5 in the UK just months ago... ahh, but they were old standards, weren't they? You Brits do tend to allow a band only a decade of relevance. I remember talking with a British person who was going to college here, 'round 1990, and she was surprised to learn that people were still listening to the Moody Blues, who were still quite popular here. Around that time, Townshend stated that the Who were pretty much a dead duck in England, so that's why they toured America in '89, and people here turned out in droves. 'The Who Sell Out' over here every time they play. And more recently I was in email contact with someone else in the UK and I was extolling the merits of the Kinks in the 80s, who were a stadium concert draw in the States then. She had come from the 80s as well, but equated the Kinks with her father's music and apologized if that made me feel old. No, it just made me think what a pity that people in the UK restrict their musical appreciation on the basis of an ageist attitude, whereas here in the States, we tend to have a more venerable attitude toward our favorite old musical heroes. Perhaps it's because you have the BBC radio, rather than the lucrative Classic Rock radio format in the States.

That said, I have no doubt that someone from Rolling Stone magazine will be attending as well next Thursday--thankfully, there's more to the press than spiteful UK media, and yes, if the Stones release a new album the youth market will pass it by, but it will still be top 5 in Billboard and certified gold at least.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 8, 2012 02:02

They will not be announcing a new tour at this event. Why do some people project a tour announcement on every single Stones-related appearance? Still waiting for SuperRevvy to decipher the "pre-announcement announcement" of festivals he detected in Mick's SNL appearance. Somehow it was too subtle for me to perceive.

Date: July 8, 2012 02:41

71Tele
They will not be announcing a new tour at this event.

Evidently not. They way the Somerset House is portraying it, this "event" promises to pack all the excitement of an... art gallery premier. [insert yawning emoticon here]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1608
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home