Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Mick Taylor The Times Interview June 26 2012
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 26, 2012 12:17

Mick Taylor: the Stone who rolled away
John Bungey, June 26 2012
As the Rolling Stones near their 50th birthday, John Bungey meets long-lost member Mick Taylor to hear about the vintage years, the reasons he quit — and the truth about Jagger’s todger

Mick Taylor today Times photographer, Tom Pilston

The liquid summer of 2012 has, of course, brought the jubilee of a proud British institution — one that has suffered the odd annus horribilis but enjoyed a few anni mirabiles too. It has survived fad and fashion with its dignity, and most of its teeth, intact. Yes, the Rolling Stones are 50 years old.
The anniversary of their first gig, July 12, 1962, will be marked with books, films, exhibitions and a lot of ageist jokes but no glimpse of the Methuselahs of rock themselves. The Stones say they won’t be ready to roll out their anniversary gigs until 2013 — a spree that may or may not, depending on whom you believe, climax at the Glastonbury Festival.
Bill Wyman, who quit the band in 1992, is slated to be involved, and also tipped for a guest spot is the man sitting next to me in a North London Mexican restaurant, nursing a mojito and mild indigestion. “If there was a tour, I’d love to do it, of course I would,” says former guitarist Mick Taylor, “I’d like to do some recording as well. But I’ve only heard rumours so far.”
Taylor has not played with the full band for 38 years and has enjoyed/endured what you could politely term an uneven career since. He is, though, the band veteran you are most likely to see on the road this year, leading his own punchy blues band with a renewed vigour. At 63, with his stockman’s coat, ruddy jowls and impressive thatch (what have the Stones done to retain so much hair?) he seems like a cheery yeoman farmer. But, as he’s slightly tired of being reminded, his callow younger self once played outstanding lead guitar with the best vintage of the Stones: the one that forged Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice and It’s Only Rock’n’Roll. Between 1969 and 1974 the Stones created the template for every blues-rock, guitar-abusing, drug-abusing, gang-band to blast a stadium since.
Not that the 20-year-old Taylor was initially convinced, after joining the Stones from John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers to replace the increasingly erratic Brian Jones: “I remember the early rehearsals and being struck by how out of tune and awful they were,” he says. “I remember wondering how on earth they could make such great records when they couldn’t even tune their guitars up.” Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, though, “just kept coming up with great ideas” and, with astute production, raw blues was turned into gold.
Taylor left in 1974, unhappy about a lack of songwriting credits, bored by the band’s inactivity as Richards sank deeper into heroin use, and worried about his own drug habits. Regrets? None, he insists. Taylor joined a band with Jack Bruce, toured and recorded with Bob Dylan and made decent solo albums. But life also brought full-blown addiction (he spent the Eighties “in a narcoleptic fog”), homes burnt down twice (in 1975 and 1979) and he acquired a rock vet’s tangled genealogy: two marriages, girlfriends, a daughter on each side of the Atlantic. Today, while Mick Jagger has an estimated fortune of about £200 million, Taylor lives in a two-bedroom semi down a lane in deepest Suffolk.
While his former colleagues may enjoy the Croesus life, Taylor insists he is content: “I’m very happy, very relaxed and I’m healthy compared with how I have been.” This, it turns out, is mainly to do with his teeth. Thanks to £10,000 implants from a Norwich dentist, he no longer has to endure the pain of “black, rotted teeth” that marred his social and musical life. He’s playing regularly and in contact with all the Stones except Keith Richards, who tends to stay at home in Connecticut. In 2010 Taylor recorded new guitar parts while Mick Jagger sang a vocal to a half-finished Stones track from 1972. Plundered My Soul went to No 15 in the French singles charts. While Taylor used to brood over alleged unpaid royalties — “it cast a shadow over my career” — he insists that these days he does not care what other musicians have earned.
I ask what he thinks of Richards’s 2010 autobiography, Life, in which the veteran Stone paid lavish tribute to Taylor’s musical skills but called him morose and shy. “I don’t think I was morose. He said I was fighting demons but so was he. I wasn’t shy, it was just that everyone wanted to talk to Mick and Keith not me or Bill or Charlie [Watts].
“I enjoyed the book but in some ways it’s like reading about a completely different person, a mythological Keith, Keith the actor. Other people who know him have said the same. When I knew Keith, he was a very quiet guy. He was shy, that’s why he got into heroin — which was probably true for me but much later.
“What surprised me was the competitiveness, all that competing for women. He’s a guy in his late sixties and he sounds like an 18-year-old talking about his 18-year-old buddy.”
And what about the reference to Mick’s “tiny todger”? Taylor laughs. “That was kind of nasty. I don’t remember anybody in the Stones being particularly well endowed and I should know.” Still grinning, he adds: “It’s so childish. A lot of people were amused by that but I don’t think Mick was.”
Taylor also learnt for the first time from the book just how upset Richards was at him quitting. Richards wrote: “I always want to keep a band together. You can leave in a coffin or with dispensations for long service, but otherwise you can’t.” Taylor recalls it thus: “He sent me a message saying, ‘Dear Mick, thanks for all the turn-ons. It was great playing with you.’ And that was that. Possibly because I had my own problems, I didn’t realise how he was affected.”
Taylor has a lot of time for Jagger: “Mick was always the leader; he had the final say and still does. He was very funny, very entertaining and very intelligent.
“I remember Keith getting very upset when we were signing with Atlantic Records after we’d left Decca. The contract said that the Rolling Stones must always consist of Mick Jagger and four others. Didn’t mention Keith, and he was very put out.”
Jagger was always ambitious. “It comes from his background. He was middle class, better educated than the rest of us, and it comes from being at the London School of Economics. And of course he became very good with money . . .”
When I last met Taylor, 15 years ago, the mantle of being an ex-Stone seemed to weigh heavy as he detailed perceived slights. Today, he appears much more content, and proud of his service. Nevertheless, he is sanguine about the Stones’ place in history. “People say to me, ‘What do you think people will think about the Rolling Stones in a hundred years’ time?’ Their music doesn’t travel. It’s very difficult for other artists to interpret Stones music because it’s got its own attitude and rebelliousness that’s got nothing to do with the notes — whereas the Beatles will be remembered for their harmonies and melodies, or Bob Dylan songs for their words.
“But that’s not to say the Stones are overrated. I think Mick Jagger has written some great lyrics — and this is the most enduring rock band that has ever existed.” And come 2013, Taylor wouldn’t mind joining in one last blast.

At Hyde Park in 1969, with Mick Jagger, where the 20-year-old guitarist made his debut with the band Photoshot/Getty Images

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-26 14:50 by proudmary.

Re: Mick Taylor Times Interview June 26 2012
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 26, 2012 12:32

Thanks for posting!

Re: Mick Taylor Times Interview June 26 2012
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 26, 2012 15:00

Mick T. said so many interesting things - about Jagger's leadership, what he thinks about Richards' book, how he perceives the Stones' legacy, etc... Directly from the horse's mouth - and no one wants to say anything

Re: Mick Taylor The Times Interview June 26 2012
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 26, 2012 15:13

thanks for sharing.

Date: June 26, 2012 15:29

Thanks for sharing, proudmary thumbs up

I think the main reason for the lack of comments is due to the fact that Taylor is not saying anything substantially new here.

At least, I have heard most of this from Taylor before. He is not really saying anything interesting about the book either, imo.

Even his comments about Keith missing him more than he thought at the time have been stated before.

However, the best thing about this interview, imo, is that Taylor comes across as more content, happy and light-hearted. That's a good thing! smileys with beer

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 26, 2012 15:32

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 21:04 by vudicus.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 26, 2012 15:33

Never knew that Atlantic deal. The Rolling Stones = Mick Jagger and four others..grinning smiley

Interstingly, I sense Taylor briefly making Keith a bit ridiculous in this article, whereas Jagger comes out of almost a hero. It could very well be that in following years Keith's mythological take on Stones history might be challenged by the very people who actually were there... C'mon Mick(s), tell your story....

But I need to say that Keith's book is importnant as an book - everybody seemed to have read it, have an opinion about it, and it provoked quite a lot of further discussion, which I hope will continue.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-26 15:34 by Doxa.

Date: June 26, 2012 15:45

DandelionPowderman
He is not really saying anything interesting about the book either, imo.

I disagree. Even though his comments are not that different than many of us have spelled here at IORR, I can't remember any of the people close to him - or were there then - has said is so frankly that "in some ways it’s like reading about a completely different person, a mythological Keith, Keith the actor. Other people who know him have said the same. When I knew Keith, he was a very quiet guy." I think he hit target 100% there. This should be kept in mind when one reads and interprets this "honest" book. Quite many also here seem to be still totally blinded by the mythological Keith Richards, and do not distinguish the entertainer from the honest truth-teller.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-26 15:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 26, 2012 15:50

Thanks for posting. I didn't know that about the Atlantic deal.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 26, 2012 15:52

Thanks for posting.

Date: June 26, 2012 15:53

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

I disagree. Even though his comment are not tha different than may of us have spelled here at IORR, I can't rememer any of the people close to him - or were there then - has said is so frankly that "in some ways it’s like reading about a completely different person, a mythological Keith, Keith the actor. Other people who know him have said the same. When I knew Keith, he was a very quiet guy." I think he hit target 100% there. This should be kept in mind when one reads and interprets this "honest" book. Quite many also here seem to be still totally blinded by the mythological Keith Richards, and do not distinguish the entertainer from the honest truth-teller.

- Doxa

Why is that news? Keith even says so himself (mythological Keith)...

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 26, 2012 15:55

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

I disagree. Even though his comment are not tha different than may of us have spelled here at IORR, I can't rememer any of the people close to him - or were there then - has said is so frankly that "in some ways it’s like reading about a completely different person, a mythological Keith, Keith the actor. Other people who know him have said the same. When I knew Keith, he was a very quiet guy." I think he hit target 100% there. This should be kept in mind when one reads and interprets this "honest" book. Quite many also here seem to be still totally blinded by the mythological Keith Richards, and do not distinguish the entertainer from the honest truth-teller.

- Doxa

+1

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 26, 2012 15:57

Thanks PM, great interview from a very credible Mick Taylor. I do hope things work out for 2013, both for recording and playing live shows.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 26, 2012 16:03

It is interesting to speculate about the FOURth other Rolling Stone after Bill Wyman left.
Who is it? Darryl Jones? Chuck Leavell? Blondie Chaplin? Brenda?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: June 26, 2012 16:04

Taylor also learnt for the first time from the book just how upset Richards was at him quitting. Richards wrote: “I always want to keep a band together. You can leave in a coffin or with dispensations for long service, but otherwise you can’t.” Taylor recalls it thus: “He sent me a message saying, ‘Dear Mick, thanks for all the turn-ons. It was great playing with you.’ And that was that. Possibly because I had my own problems, I didn’t realise how he was affected.”

Richards didn't want to beg Taylor to stay in the group, that was Jagger's job. Maybe Keith realized that Taylor had some emotional problems or even mental problems.

Date: June 26, 2012 16:22

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

It is not news if I say that, but it is news because it said by someone who actually were there in real world when the most mythological part of the book was written. Like I said, I can't see anyone - 'who knows' - making the point so clearly as Taylor does it here. Me, a fan boy who knows next to nothing, was actually disappointed how much Keith sounded like buried to his own myth, and "keeping up appearances" (of this not just as coolest rock guitarist and song-writer ever and a junkie who never dies, but as a natural born (Boy Scot) leader, and a blues man who at the same time was born to be an international superstar and well endowed super lover).

The problem with Keith's own 'confession' is that of liar's paradox: if a liar says he is a liar, is he telling lies? Keith's 'self-reflection' in regard to that theme, in the middle of that 'let's keep all the best myths alive and tell a few more to entertain people what a badass I am', was not very convincing to me in that book.

- Doxa

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 26, 2012 16:27

Keith the actor... haha well said but ALL the great rockers from the 60's were actors (Hendrix Joplin Dylan Morisson etc).
Nowadays young rock stars tend to behave like TV actors, that's why they don't hold a candle against their elders.

Date: June 26, 2012 16:40

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

It is not news if I say that, but it is news because it said by someone who actually were there in real world when the most mythological part of the book was written. Like I said, I can't see anyone - 'who knows' - making the point so clearly as Taylor does it here. Me, a fan boy who knows next to nothing, was actually disappointed how much Keith sounded like buried to his own myth, and "keeping up appearances" (of this not just as coolest rock guitarist and song-writer ever and a junkie who never dies, but as a natural born (Boy Scot) leader, and a blues man who at the same time was born to be an international superstar and well endowed super lover).

The problem with Keith's own 'confession' is that of liar's paradox: if a liar says he is a liar, is he telling lies? Keith's 'self-reflection' in regard to that theme, in the middle of that 'let's keep all the best myths alive and tell a few more to entertain people what a badass I am', was not very convincing to me in that book.

- Doxa

I never read the book that way, not at all. I think you're putting way too much into this, but that's just my opinion.

One thing should be kept in mind, though: If your fans expect something from you, you'll give it to them. That's what Mick and Keith have done for decades.

The myth of Keith Richards is included here.

PS: It's not the first time Taylor has spoken about Keith's shyness, their relationship etc. He has said the very same things before. That's why that particular passage of the interview wasn't of interest to me.

PS II: The older we get, the less convincing anything about the Stones's lifestyle will be grinning smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 26, 2012 17:16

great article, thanks
jeroen

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 26, 2012 17:52

Doxa
Never knew that Atlantic deal. The Rolling Stones = Mick Jagger and four others..grinning smiley

Interstingly, I sense Taylor briefly making Keith a bit ridiculous in this article, whereas Jagger comes out of almost a hero. It could very well be that in following years Keith's mythological take on Stones history might be challenged by the very people who actually were there... C'mon Mick(s), tell your story....

But I need to say that Keith's book is importnant as an book - everybody seemed to have read it, have an opinion about it, and it provoked quite a lot of further discussion, which I hope will continue.

- Doxa
No wonder, Mick T had a much better relationsship with Mick J than with Keith.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 26, 2012 18:02

marcovandereijk
It is interesting to speculate about the FOURth other Rolling Stone after Bill Wyman left.

They weren't with Atlantic at that point anymore.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 26, 2012 18:11

Great interview. Taylor nailed it with "mythological Keith" sounding like an 18 year old. He still has something to offer the Rolling Stones. They would be wise to take him up on it. Keith?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 26, 2012 19:04

Shortly. A good, well informed journalist - an exception to the rule these days. Maybe Taylor's more positive attitude to Jagger has something to do with Jagger contacting him in 2010 making it possible for him to earn some pounds? What strikes me with this article however is the fact that Taylor couldn't afford going to the dentist for a long time. So he kept his "black, rotten teeth" far too long. I mean, £10,000: Couldn't some of his old band mates have helped him with that?

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: June 26, 2012 19:09

marcovandereijk

jamesfdouglas
They weren't with Atlantic at that point anymore.

Exactly. By the time Wyman left, the distribution contract (because that's what it was, really) with Atlantic was a thing of the past - and the clauses containted therein were no longer relevant.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 26, 2012 19:26

"Bill Wyman is slated to be involved". I haven't read anything confirming that. Might be a smear on the reporter's credibility.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 26, 2012 21:39

The journalist doesn't have inside information, he's just reporting what's been printed elsewhere stemming from Bill attending the December jam session. The interview itself is a good one and informative. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 26, 2012 22:18

Excellent interview, really enjoyed it. Thanks ProudMary, you rock!

Cool facto: I helped design and build that mixing console he is sitting in front of in that first picture. Whoo Hoo! peace

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 26, 2012 22:26

it's time we look at this differently....instead of wondering if there's gonna be a new stones record and whether MT will be invited...let's have MT work on a new album and he can invite the stones to be his backing band. failing that, perhaps it's time for the highly-overdo matt clifford debut...he can invite MT, Bill and the gang as his house-band...

other ideas welcome - only good ones, now

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 26, 2012 22:28

Naturalust
I helped design and build that mixing console

Cool

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 26, 2012 22:42

Naturalust
Excellent interview, really enjoyed it. Thanks ProudMary, you rock!

Cool facto: I helped design and build that mixing console he is sitting in front of in that first picture. Whoo Hoo! peace

very cool connection.

man he sure looks sad in that pic.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home