Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT rock and roll hall of fame British version
Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: July 29, 2012 16:55

With all of the hoopla of the Olympics opening ceremony it occurred to me how US centric the Rock and Roll hall of fame it and how many UK national treasures are excluded. With that said, if the RARHOF was located in London with more of a British voting pool, who would be added? (Before the rants start, I could care less on who is in the rock and roll hall of fame.)

In no particular order I think the UK hall would add:

Cliff Richarda
Paul Weller (twice) with The Jam and as solo artist
Steve Winwood aaa solo artist
Dusty Springfild

Others?

Re: OT rock and roll hall of fame British version
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 29, 2012 17:10

Marc Bolan and T-Rex for a start.

Date: July 29, 2012 17:12

ELO and Dire Straits, Tom Jones, Madness and UB40....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-29 17:15 by Green Lady.

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: July 29, 2012 17:21

Forgot Mott.

Date: July 29, 2012 18:38

first band in should be THE KINKS

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 29, 2012 18:58

The Kinks are in.
In the fall of 2005, I was invited to attend the British RnR Hall of Fame induction ceremonies at Alexandra Palace -- loaded with stars and "upstairs" an appreciative throng of English fans.

Numerous people were inducted that night. Worth googling re the coverage.

A lovely evening and very English in the best sense of the word.

Not at all like the American "induction ceremonies"

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 29, 2012 19:03

stonesrule
The Kinks are in.
In the fall of 2005, I was invited to attend the British RnR Hall of Fame induction ceremonies at Alexandra Palace -- loaded with stars and "upstairs" an appreciative throng of English fans.

Please enlighten this dumb American, what makes it so different?

Date: July 29, 2012 19:13

stonesrule
The Kinks are in.

i didn't even know there was a real british rock n roll HOF. cool.

what about john mayall?

Date: July 29, 2012 19:17

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

The UK version only ran for 3 years and did indeed include Cliff Richard and the Shadows along with the usual suspects - a couple more UK-centric inductees were The Smiths and the Eurythmics - and of course they included John Peel as an honorary member.

Date: July 29, 2012 19:26

Green Lady
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

The UK version only ran for 3 years and did indeed include Cliff Richard and the Shadows along with the usual suspects - a couple more UK-centric inductees were The Smiths and the Eurythmics - and of course they included John Peel as an honorary member.

so madonna and u2 were in before the stones, the who, the kinks, pink floyd, etc? maybe everyone should stop bitching about the usa RNR HOF

Date: July 29, 2012 19:30

Roxy Music - Roxy Music

Joy Division

New Order

Mott the Hoople

Marc Bolan

Syd Barrett

Ian Dury

Brian Eno - separate from Roxy

Joe Cocker

King Crimson

Nick Lowe

Tears For Fears

Psychedelic Furs

Alexis Korner

Date: July 29, 2012 19:46

Not long until Blur and Oasis are eligible for this imaginary HOF. meanwhile Pulp and the Stone Roses have both been around long enough.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 29, 2012 19:56

keefriffhard4life
Green Lady
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

so madonna and u2 were in before the stones, the who, the kinks, pink floyd, etc? maybe everyone should stop bitching about the usa RNR HOF

Didnt work like that. The initial inductees were limited to one from each decade.

The Stones came out of a decade where there were a lot more legendary acts than was the case for Madonna and U2. Or any other decade for that matter.

So, the five acts who were automatically inducted by a panel of music journalists and record industry people were Elvis (50s), The Beatles (60's), Bob Marley (70's), Madonna (80's) and U2 (90's)

The public were then invited to vote in a poll to induct another act from each decade. The Stones topped the poll for the 60s', ahead of the following nominees - The Beach Boys, Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan, Diana Ross and The Supremes, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Simon and Garfunkel and The Velvet Underground.

No oversight there.

The poll-toppers for the other decades were Cliff Richard & The Shadows (50's), Queen (70's), Michael jackson (80's) and Robbie Williams (90's)

Worth mentioning also that it is called the UK MUSIC Hall of Fame - its not meant to be rock-orientated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-29 19:57 by Gazza.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 29, 2012 20:40

Gazza
keefriffhard4life
Green Lady
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Didnt work like that. The initial inductees were limited to one from each decade.

The Stones came out of a decade where there were a lot more legendary acts than was the case for Madonna and U2. Or any other decade for that matter.

So, the five acts who were automatically inducted by a panel of music journalists and record industry people were Elvis (50s), The Beatles (60's), Bob Marley (70's), Madonna (80's) and U2 (90's)

The public were then invited to vote in a poll to induct another act from each decade. The Stones topped the poll for the 60s', ahead of the following nominees - The Beach Boys, Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan, Diana Ross and The Supremes, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Simon and Garfunkel and The Velvet Underground.

No oversight there.

The poll-toppers for the other decades were Cliff Richard & The Shadows (50's), Queen (70's), Michael jackson (80's) and Robbie Williams (90's)

Worth mentioning also that it is called the UK MUSIC Hall of Fame - its not meant to be rock-orientated.

OK, maybe your awards show is better than ours. I was just tweeking Stonesrule about that point earlier, didn't mean to come accross as an angry, dumb American. I enjoy these kinds of shows, but don't take them too seriously. The rock and roll hall of fame lost me when Jann Wenner inducted himself.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 29, 2012 23:27

normanplace
In no particular order I think the UK hall would add:

Cliff Richarda
Paul Weller (twice) with The Jam and as solo artist
Steve Winwood aaa solo artist
Dusty Springfild

Others?

If the premise is that artists would be inducted who are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of fame in America, Dusty had been in the R&R HOF since 1999, and in the UK Music Hall of Fame since 2006.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 30, 2012 00:26

Latebloomer, you are one of the few at IORR who has ever admitted to the possibility of being angry and dumb. Very Refreshing!

You made an interesting point re "Just Call me 'GOD, Wenner. The American Grammys have been through many incarnations but one thing has never changed -- there are way too many "suits" and business types there jockeying for position.
However, some of the shows have been great when the best of the bands jammed on stage. TV is an essential profit-maker to keep the Grammys going.

When I first started visiting the UK in the late Sixties there was a hell of a lot less pretentious a..holes around. A lot of camaraderie. SO...in 2005 I was happy to see that the UK Music Hall of Fame (many thanks for that correction, Gazza!) that the impressive turnout of musicians were as matey and friendly as ever. Plenty of champagne on hand for the after-party but no one was especially drunk. VERY different from LA and NY. Few pretentious biz-execs. It was rather fun to see Sharon and Ozzy and their large entourage make a major entrance into the after-party. Ozzy had already literally shown his ass on stage, and Sharon entered the room like a Queen.

Janie Hendrix, who barely knew Jimi and was not a blood relative, also made an entrance surrounded by security. Embarassing. Mitch Mitchell said to me: "I am so glad that Jimi is not around to see her showing off. She is a bad dream..."

By the way, Jagger was not in England at the time but in advance had appeared on a video, shown at the ceremonly, praising Annie Lennox, who was one of the inductees that night. Clearly, he was and is a true fan.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 30, 2012 01:30

latebloomer

OK, maybe your awards show is better than ours. I was just tweeking Stonesrule about that point earlier, didn't mean to come accross as an angry, dumb American. I enjoy these kinds of shows, but don't take them too seriously. The rock and roll hall of fame lost me when Jann Wenner inducted himself.

Relax - you came across as neither. grinning smiley

Wenner has single handedly turned the RnRHoF into a bad joke, unfortunately.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home