Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758...LastNext
Current Page: 53 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 21, 2012 04:01

Justin
I thought all the insanity would be over now that the show is over...now we gotta deal with ridiculous posts on hidden messages and subliminal suggestions by Mick as he performed? Sweet Moses...are we honestly THAT desperate for a tour? Why in the world Mick Jagger--a guy who has gone on record saying to never predict or make future plans in public---go on SNL and drop a hint saying "see you in the fall?" I thought some of you were hardcore fans. Don't you know Mick better than that? You guys are putting up some rookie mistakes here making all these ridiculous speculations. Mick hosted and performed in SNL. There is no hidden agenda...no secret messages or double meanings. The show is over, Mick has moved on to whatever he has next on his plate. Shouldn't we all do the same?

Well said. I mean, really well said.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 21, 2012 04:04

He was trying really hard not to need Keith wasn't he? Jeff is great but for me I saw someone trying to be Keith and fill his shoes and it pissed me off

Date: May 21, 2012 04:04

even tho Jeff wasn't playing riddim

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 21, 2012 04:15

It's your fanboy loyalty that clouded your judgement. Why didn't you feel the same way when Dave Grohl was up there with Mick...wasn't he playing riddum? I watched it and saw two legends performing a blues song.

Date: May 21, 2012 04:30

Nimrod
MightyStonesStillRollin50
riverrat
Somebody tell me what he was really saying on The Last Time, because I kept hearing "See you in the fall, See you in the fall"...?????? If it was just my imagination, what was he really saying? I can't always understand what he says.

No, it wasn't your imagination. That's exactly what I am hearing. I have played it back more than a dozen times. The introduction to the song was very spiritual. To me, that was a clue in and of itself. The Last Time was chosen for a reason. A very special reason. I know this will be hotly contested, but so be it.

It will be contested because it's insane. Arcade Fire have covered the song in the past. When it came time to discuss what song they'd be doing with Mick, it makes sense that they would choose a song they were already familiar with.

I mean, if you're going to read into the words "The Last Time" as being some sort of hidden message about the Stones touring one last time, then why should we stop there? Maybe it meant it's THE LAST TIME Mick will ever host SNL. Maybe it meant it's THE LAST TIME Mick will ever sing a Stones song. Or maybe it meant nothing. In fact, no "maybe"...it DID mean nothing.

And no, he was not singing "See you in the fall". Even if the Stones did have plans to perform in the fall, there's no way Mick would sing that. It's too stupid.

For starters I never said doing "The Last Time" was a hidden message about the Stones touring, although it very well could be. But it could also be one of the reasons you listed. Or for other reasons. What I said was, that "The Last Time" was chosen for a very special reason. I based that on the highly spiritual introduction to the song.

I clearly hear "see you in the fall", however, those are not part of the lyrics to the song as we all know. Mick sometimes (albeit, rarely) "mumbles" (for lack of a better term) his words to the point that it is difficult to understand exactly what he is saying. Maybe even Mick would tell you he didn't say those words, of course he would, but one must consider the possibility of the subconscious mind overriding the conscious mind in this instance. It happens! Some sort of "Freudian Slip". Or maybe it was scripted like so many other things are scripted with these guys? Certainly Mick would never admit to singing those lyrics whether it was scripted or not. On the other hand, maybe I have been driven to the point of insanity by all this foreplay! How long can it go on?

Date: May 21, 2012 04:42

Hey I know Jeff wasn't playing riddim but it still rubbed me the wrong way even tho I like Jeff Beck's playing. It was just the blatant lack of Keef that was the problem. I no doubt Keef grates on Micks nerve and vice versa now I've seen it. a sad shame... na na no. let me down slow

Date: May 21, 2012 04:43

Justin
I thought all the insanity would be over now that the show is over...now we gotta deal with ridiculous posts on hidden messages and subliminal suggestions by Mick as he performed? Sweet Moses...are we honestly THAT desperate for a tour? Why in the world Mick Jagger--a guy who has gone on record saying to never predict or make future plans in public---go on SNL and drop a hint saying "see you in the fall?" I thought some of you were hardcore fans. Don't you know Mick better than that? You guys are putting up some rookie mistakes here making all these ridiculous speculations. Mick hosted and performed in SNL. There is no hidden agenda...no secret messages or double meanings. The show is over, Mick has moved on to whatever he has next on his plate. Shouldn't we all do the same?

We have no alternative, but to move on. Move onto the next opportunity (or golden moment). Next up would be July 12, 2012. If nothing, then we move onto the fall, maybe October or November. Certainly it has to come sometime doesn't it? Does anybody think we will be sitting in front of our computers a year from today still waiting for some form of announcement on a 50th anniversary tour? I don't think so. My guess is that sometime between July 12 and November 22 we get the official word.

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: May 21, 2012 04:49

Still a lot of unwarranted Keef bashing going on here. What are bashers getting at anyway? MJ and KR go together like white on rice. Lots of knocks on Keef...he is getting older we know, and has some real medical issues. Doesn't mean he can't play, but don't expect 1972 KR anytime soon. Same with Mick who last night showed a pale comparison to Some Girls MJ. MJ hasn't "sang" since 1975, he's been "shout singing" with that flat unvaried monotone since 1981. I have little doubt that both MJ and KR are friends and business partners, and that KR was not "betrayed" or offended by MJ on SNL last night as some demented posters has transmitted from mom's basement. Grow-up, KR was probably sleeping like 3/4 of America was when MJ did SNL. It all equals a fart in the end. We're lucky we still have them with us. Solo Stones are fun, but not very interesting. MJ was great last night, but even I could make the Poo Fighters sound good.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: May 21, 2012 04:53

"The Last Time" was chosen because Arcade Fire are into the song.

The gospel intro was chosen because "The Last Time" is an "interpretation" of a gospel song by the same name. Somebody thought it'd be a cool idea to make the musical link.

There were no subliminal messages, that is, apart from the quotation of selected lines from the song "Ruthless People", the 25th anniversary of which has been unfairly overlooked in all this "Stones 50" nonsense.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: May 21, 2012 04:55

riverrat
Somebody tell me what he was really saying on The Last Time, because I kept hearing "See you in the fall, See you in the fall"...?????? If it was just my imagination, what was he really saying? I can't always understand what he says.

No, it wasn't your imagination. That's exactly what I am hearing. I have played it back more than a dozen times. The introduction to the song was very spiritual. To me, that was a clue in and of itself. The Last Time was chosen for a reason. A very special reason. I know this will be hotly contested, but so be it.

After listening to the original, he says something similar once, so I don't think he was saying "see you in the fall", but I can't figure out what he was saying, either on the original one time or on the show several times. But, whatever-- it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, it was just my imagina-A-tion...running away with me.

Date: May 21, 2012 05:04

Shade
Still a lot of unwarranted Keef bashing going on here. What are bashers getting at anyway? MJ and KR go together like white on rice. Lots of knocks on Keef...he is getting older we know, and has some real medical issues. Doesn't mean he can't play, but don't expect 1972 KR anytime soon. Same with Mick who last night showed a pale comparison to Some Girls MJ. MJ hasn't "sang" since 1975, he's been "shout singing" with that flat unvaried monotone since 1981. I have little doubt that both MJ and KR are friends and business partners, and that KR was not "betrayed" or offended by MJ on SNL last night as some demented posters has transmitted from mom's basement. Grow-up, KR was probably sleeping like 3/4 of America was when MJ did SNL. It all equals a fart in the end. We're lucky we still have them with us. Solo Stones are fun, but not very interesting. MJ was great last night, but even I could make the Poo Fighters sound good.

Sometimes I wonder if maybe Keith isn't seriously ill. I sure hope not, but he strikes me as someone who wouldn't say a word to anyone but his immediate family. If they don't pull this 50th anniversary thing off then something is truly amiss.

Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: May 21, 2012 05:12

Shade
Doesn't mean he can't play, but don't expect 1972 KR anytime soon.

Don't even expect 2002 KR anytime soon.

Date: May 21, 2012 05:18

riverrat
riverrat

After listening to the original, he says something similar once, so I don't think he was saying "see you in the fall", but I can't figure out what he was saying, either on the original one time or on the show several times. But, whatever-- it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, it was just my imagina-A-tion...running away with me.

I think you had it right the first time. I have listened to it now over 25 times and I keep hearing the same thing.

Date: May 21, 2012 05:20

Shade

The Keith bashing is unfortunately a permanent thing now. It's some kind of "retaliation" for his diarrhea of the mouth in recent years in combination with his deteriorating playing (the latter he has no control over). The only way he'll redeem himself is he goes out there and plays guitar like he's 28 again. Until then, the Keith/parasite bashing is here to stay.

Date: May 21, 2012 05:23

Justin
Shade

The Keith bashing is unfortunately a permanent thing now. It's some kind of "retaliation" for his diarrhea of the mouth in recent years in combination with his deteriorating playing (the latter he has no control over). The only way he'll redeem himself is he goes out there and plays guitar like he's 28 again. Until then, the Keith/parasite bashing is here to stay.

Are you suggesting some kind of Karma here? Like what goes around, comes around?

Date: May 21, 2012 05:28

I dunno. To some on this board, Keith is done for good and want nothing to do with him. If that's what karma is then karma is in fact truly a bitch.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 21, 2012 05:33

All in all it was an enjoyable evening with Mick for an hour and a half. I have no complaints, I suppose you could argue that some skits were goofy or even bad, but that is comedy. It appeals to some and bores others.

I think he handled himself quite well, I actually enjoyed the debonair gay gentleman role he played and I thought he aced it with his English accent. The show is about parodies, teasing, joking, and musical performances. We got a little of everything.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 21, 2012 05:34

Not everyone is bashing Keith, just to note.

I guess many are looking for someone to blame for the tour not going ahead right now.
Frustration of hard core fans like us is understandable.
I haven't run into anyone who really seems to know why it's not.

I prefer to remain optimistic that it will.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 21, 2012 05:42

It may not be everyone but a quick revisit of the Huber Sumlin, Chuck Berry Tribute and now the Washington Times Parasite threads show a huge number of fans showing no hesitation to call Keith out. I agree with part of it but the hostility shown towards him is almost as getting old as the Wood vs. Taylor discussions we used to have all the time around here.

Date: May 21, 2012 05:52

Denny
"The Last Time" was chosen because Arcade Fire are into the song.

The gospel intro was chosen because "The Last Time" is an "interpretation" of a gospel song by the same name. Somebody thought it'd be a cool idea to make the musical link.

There were no subliminal messages, that is, apart from the quotation of selected lines from the song "Ruthless People", the 25th anniversary of which has been unfairly overlooked in all this "Stones 50" nonsense.

Certainly, I can accept what you have stated here, but my mind takes it a step further. Of course I am open to the possibility that it is just my imagination that has gotten away from me. I can tell you some real "ghost stories" so maybe I am just more in tune to these things? I say the Stones will tour and Keith Richards will be there doing what he always does. He never was perfect. Doesn't need to be. It has never been just about the music to me. I could give a rip how technically perfect a musician is. It's about how much joy is delivered. The personalities have a lot to do with it.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 21, 2012 06:00

While Mick acquitted himself superbly under the circumstances, I feel he blew a wonderful opportunity both to redefine his musical legacy and to open up exciting new possibilities. Lorne Michaels gave him a blank musical canvas, and Mick played it safe by covering some well-known Stones songs with a pair of mainstream rock bands who don't need any more exposure.

The a capella gospel opening to The Last Time offered a tantalizing glimpse into what could have been. Thinking back to cross-genre collaborations with the likes of Peter Tosh, the Chieftains and the Jacksons, I would like to have seen Mick team up with, say, a bold new talent like Janelle Monae and do a James Brown song, or with the Black Keys on a Howlin' Wolf number, or with Mary J. Blige on anything. I'm not saying he needed to pander to millennials by partnering with Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber, but he could have ventured outside of his comfort zone. And what the hell? Mick and the Biebs doing Tom Waits or "Too Much Blood" would have been a cool train wreck. We only live once.

It goes back to Keith's old line from the '86 Musician mag cover story about respecting Mick more if he had covered Mantovani or Sinatra. Speaking of Keith, the collaboration with Jeff Beck on a throwaway ditty Mick wrote on the toilet 5 minutes earlier was absolutely a giant FU. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I also wonder whether it was inadvertently offensive to Jeff: You dragged me on to SNL for this piece of crap when I could have been fixing my new hot rod?! But Mick should be commended if he had any role in Jeff ditching his traditional sleeveless vest.

Date: May 21, 2012 06:06

I know I'm just a tad bit late with my views on Mick's performance last night, but after waiting all week for SNL, I didn't get to see the show. A special evening was planned. My wife and myself along with another couple drove 45 miles to eat at my favorite restaurant. We had a great meal, great wine and great conversation. The other couple aren't really Stones fans and had a lot of questions about Mick, Keith and the band in general. I got to show off what little knowledge I possess as I mellowed on the wine. I had a nice wine buzz as we left the restaurant. Just that nice glow. My wife took over driving duties as planned. She was my designated driver for the night. God love her, she knew how much I was looking forward to this night and she was doing everything to make sure I would enjoy the evening. That's what makes what happened next so damn sad. There are two ways to get home from the restaurant. A straight shot down the interstate or a very scenic drive over a mountain on a narrow, twisty, rural road that runs through farm country. It was a unanimous decision to cross the mountain. Now looking back I ask myself what the hell did we think we were going to see? It was pitch dark. I had Brussels in the CD player and was explaining why IMO MT's playing made this such a great performance. We crossed the mountain and had just gotten to the other side when it happened. A deer came out of nowhere. A big deer. Beth jammed the brakes and swerved hard to the right to keep from hitting it. The car shot to the right, ran off the road, bounced like hell down a small embankment, took down a barbed wire fence (the sparks looked like the 4th of July) and settled in a muddy field. Thank God no one was hurt. There was that moment where no one made a sound then Beth let out a huge sob and started crying. After making sure everyone was ok we piled out to assess the damage. The front tires were both blown. It was hard to see that because the the car had sunk about a foot in that red mud that area is known for. To shorten this a bit I'll just say that we didn't get home until 5:30 AM. We went straight to bed. We slept until noon. When I woke up SNL was the last thing on my mind. I called our friends to make sure there was no delayed reaction from the accident. They were both sore from the bouncing, but otherwise ok. I left the house to run another errand. When I got home Beth called out to me from the entertainment room. "Come here I want to show you something". I went in and there on the big flat screen in pause was what looked to me like a gospel group. I knew right off the bat it was SNL but who the hell were these guys.Beth hit play and there it was. The original gospel influenced version of Last Time. I instantly got that chill up my spine as those mighty voices harmonized so beautifully. I had a split second to think to myself "This could be great" then the camera panned over to Mick and Arcade Fire and within 15 seconds my jaw was on the floor. I don't have to tell you all how great that performance was. Y'all know. Beth chuckled at the look on my face as I watched the videos she found while I was out. After Arcade came Foo Fighters. Unbelievable. About halfway through NNBD I had a sudden sad realization that The Rolling Stones would never sound that good again......except for Mick Jagger. Mick does it again. He pulled it off. I've bored Y'all long enough. Car will be repaired, Beth will Quit feeling guilty. Mick will just keep on keeping on. Damn what a night

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 21, 2012 06:10

Shade

Sometimes I wonder if maybe Keith isn't seriously ill. I sure hope not, but he strikes me as someone who wouldn't say a word to anyone but his immediate family. If they don't pull this 50th anniversary thing off then something is truly amiss.

I think you are very close to the truth here.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 21, 2012 06:13

DeanGoodman
While Mick acquitted himself superbly under the circumstances, I feel he blew a wonderful opportunity both to redefine his musical legacy and to open up exciting new possibilities. Lorne Michaels gave him a blank musical canvas, and Mick played it safe by covering some well-known Stones songs with a pair of mainstream rock bands who don't need any more exposure.

The a capella gospel opening to The Last Time offered a tantalizing glimpse into what could have been. Thinking back to cross-genre collaborations with the likes of Peter Tosh, the Chieftains and the Jacksons, I would like to have seen Mick team up with, say, a bold new talent like Janelle Monae and do a James Brown song, or with the Black Keys on a Howlin' Wolf number, or with Mary J. Blige on anything. I'm not saying he needed to pander to millennials by partnering with Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber, but he could have ventured outside of his comfort zone. And what the hell? Mick and the Biebs doing Tom Waits or "Too Much Blood" would have been a cool train wreck. We only live once.

It goes back to Keith's old line from the '86 Musician mag cover story about respecting Mick more if he had covered Mantovani or Sinatra. Speaking of Keith, the collaboration with Jeff Beck on a throwaway ditty Mick wrote on the toilet 5 minutes earlier was absolutely a giant FU. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I also wonder whether it was inadvertently offensive to Jeff: You dragged me on to SNL for this piece of crap when I could have been fixing my new hot rod?! But Mick should be commended if he had any role in Jeff ditching his traditional sleeveless vest.

Brilliant post. If Mick wants to fly solo, great. But to play well-worn Stones songs with rock bands and a piece of blues fluff with Jeff Beck was not exactly challenging himself - or us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-21 06:16 by 71Tele.

Date: May 21, 2012 06:14

angee
Not everyone is bashing Keith, just to note.

I guess many are looking for someone to blame for the tour not going ahead right now.
Frustration of hard core fans like us is understandable.
I haven't run into anyone who really seems to know why it's not.

I prefer to remain optimistic that it will.

Can't say we weren't warned. Even the ones that were doing the warning are starting to lose their patience. We are all getting a little frustrated, but I think in the end it is all going to work out. My biggest concern is that something is going to happen to one of them health wise, but that has always been a concern. Somehow, I think destiny is going to prevail and we will see a glorious climax for the greatest rock 'n' roll band of all time, (next to the Beatles).

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: May 21, 2012 06:19

I think the line that people are saying sounds like "see you in the fall" is actually "I'll see you no more". That's what I always assumed he was saying in the original song anyway.

One of my favorite things about the episode is watching Mick try to do an American accent. It's absolutely impossible for him to do! He has a great sense of humor and even though the writing for this episode was over all poor as usual, I enjoyed it because of Mick.

Date: May 21, 2012 06:57

DeanGoodman

I loved everything about Mick's performance but the lyrics to his blues tune were awful. He really needs to stay away from that kind of crap. Can't say it was any worse than Sweet Neo Con. Beck was great of course, and Mick performed it well. Different lyrics would have made a significant difference.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 21, 2012 06:58

SummerofSomeGirls
I know I'm just a tad bit late with my views on Mick's performance last night, but after waiting all week for SNL, I didn't get to see the show. A special evening was planned. My wife and myself along with another couple drove 45 miles to eat at my favorite restaurant. We had a great meal, great wine and great conversation. The other couple aren't really Stones fans and had a lot of questions about Mick, Keith and the band in general. I got to show off what little knowledge I possess as I mellowed on the wine. I had a nice wine buzz as we left the restaurant. Just that nice glow. My wife took over driving duties as planned. She was my designated driver for the night. God love her, she knew how much I was looking forward to this night and she was doing everything to make sure I would enjoy the evening. That's what makes what happened next so damn sad. There are two ways to get home from the restaurant. A straight shot down the interstate or a very scenic drive over a mountain on a narrow, twisty, rural road that runs through farm country. It was a unanimous decision to cross the mountain. Now looking back I ask myself what the hell did we think we were going to see? It was pitch dark. I had Brussels in the CD player and was explaining why IMO MT's playing made this such a great performance. We crossed the mountain and had just gotten to the other side when it happened. A deer came out of nowhere. A big deer. Beth jammed the brakes and swerved hard to the right to keep from hitting it. The car shot to the right, ran off the road, bounced like hell down a small embankment, took down a barbed wire fence (the sparks looked like the 4th of July) and settled in a muddy field. Thank God no one was hurt. There was that moment where no one made a sound then Beth let out a huge sob and started crying. After making sure everyone was ok we piled out to assess the damage. The front tires were both blown. It was hard to see that because the the car had sunk about a foot in that red mud that area is known for. To shorten this a bit I'll just say that we didn't get home until 5:30 AM. We went straight to bed. We slept until noon. When I woke up SNL was the last thing on my mind. I called our friends to make sure there was no delayed reaction from the accident. They were both sore from the bouncing, but otherwise ok. I left the house to run another errand. When I got home Beth called out to me from the entertainment room. "Come here I want to show you something". I went in and there on the big flat screen in pause was what looked to me like a gospel group. I knew right off the bat it was SNL but who the hell were these guys.Beth hit play and there it was. The original gospel influenced version of Last Time. I instantly got that chill up my spine as those mighty voices harmonized so beautifully. I had a split second to think to myself "This could be great" then the camera panned over to Mick and Arcade Fire and within 15 seconds my jaw was on the floor. I don't have to tell you all how great that performance was. Y'all know. Beth chuckled at the look on my face as I watched the videos she found while I was out. After Arcade came Foo Fighters. Unbelievable. About halfway through NNBD I had a sudden sad realization that The Rolling Stones would never sound that good again......except for Mick Jagger. Mick does it again. He pulled it off. I've bored Y'all long enough. Car will be repaired, Beth will Quit feeling guilty. Mick will just keep on keeping on. Damn what a night
Wow - what an awful end to what sounded like a perfect night. Glad you & yours are OK!smoking smiley

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: May 21, 2012 07:34

DeanGoodman

I loved everything about Mick's performance but the lyrics to his blues tune were awful. He really needs to stay away from that kind of crap. Can't say it was any worse than Sweet Neo Con. Beck was great of course, and Mick performed it well. Different lyrics would have made a significant difference.

totally agree

I am delighted to see that Mick's voice is still there !
I wish that could motivate Keith to do the same

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 21, 2012 08:26

Some observations:

Great seeing Mick. He's still got it. Glad I didn't tape it, though.
SNL should really pack it in or hire new writers. I chuckled once in 90 minutes and that was at a commercial, I think.
Nice to know Mick and the SNL cast can read cue cards (I've been in the TV/entertainment business for 20 years, so no letters, please).
Why play with 3 bands? Although the more I think about it, the more I think it kinda worked, although Jagger is probably the only one who could pull that off.
But why fly Jeff Beck's band in for one 4-minute throwaway blues tune?
He certainly liked Beck's playing (always has, probably). Jagger's always liked gunslingers (which Richards and Wood are not. Taylor isn't either, but you know what I mean).
He's got great hair (my wife is still talking about his hair).
Rainbow and Ruby Tuesday were...ok touches. Could they have milked him any more?I thought he was gonna sing As Tears Go By after that.
Great seeing him, though.
I still prefer 1978 (warts and all).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758...LastNext
Current Page: 53 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home