Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: May 20, 2012 21:13

MightyStonesStillRollin50
71Tele
At the end of the day, while all six members of the Rolling Stones who made the great Exile On Main Street and Some Girls albums are alive and available, we get the freaking Foo Fighters and Jeff Beck. I'm not buying the inferior product Mick, sorry.

Love the sound of Arcade Fire. They, and Mick were on fire for The Last Time. Foo Fighters were good too. If this doesn't light a fire under Keith then he isn't the pirate I think he is. Maybe Mick did this just to motivate the Stones? I think Keith is going to shock a lot of people in the near future. He is going to rise up and be the old Keith for one last time. Don't bet against that tough old SOB!

Look, I love Keith Richards as much as anyone...but the guy is on anti-seizure medication (in addition to who knows what else), has a nagging arthritic condition in his fingers, and has been showing a general decline in playing ability over the past decade or so. On top of that, he isn't getting any younger, and it's harder for an old guy...an old guy with multiple conditions that directly affect his playing ability...to just be able to pick up the guitar after periods of seemingly non-activity and dust off the cobwebs.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 20, 2012 21:15

71Tele
At the end of the day, while all six members of the Rolling Stones who made the great Exile On Main Street and Some Girls albums are alive and available, we get the freaking Foo Fighters and Jeff Beck. I'm not buying the inferior product Mick, sorry.
You do realize that they were together for roughly 10 minutes and that's it, right? It's not like Mick is going to play with these guys for years and years now. I swear, some people here are so damn grumpy!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: May 20, 2012 21:16

71Tele

Love the sound of Arcade Fire. They, and Mick were on fire for The Last Time. Foo Fighters were good too. If this doesn't light a fire under Keith then he isn't the pirate I think he is. Maybe Mick did this just to motivate the Stones? I think Keith is going to shock a lot of people in the near future. He is going to rise up and be the old Keith for one last time. Don't bet against that tough old SOB!

Last night Jagger was his usual charismatic, amazing self. He looked fantastic (dude is almost 70...are you f*cking kidding me?!!!)...and sang better than he has in years...and I will admit that my fear at this point is that the only thing holding the Stones back is probably the fact that Keef can't play anymore...Charlie, Ronnie, and Bill (and Mick Taylor and Mac if they want) are all vibrant, available, and still playing regularly with their own bands...I suspect Keef is the one that simply cannot hold his own end of the bargain...sad...imagine if they invite Jeff Beck (who they once auditioned to join the band after Taylor left)...talk about chops! Imagine getting those cats together one last time and having Jagger front that band...can you say awesome last curtain call? Keith...WHERE ARE YOU??

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 20, 2012 21:20

How on earth anyone can think it's Mick's fault that the Stones didn't play on SNL is beyond me.

I, for one, am beyond grateful that Mick has kept himself in "performance shape". Do I wish that Keith had too? Yeah. Sadly, virtually every available document over the past 5 years seems to prove otherwise.

Who knows? Maybe Mick and Charlie and Ronnie and Mick T. will hit the road next year. But, the chances of that Stonesy configuration getting together for SNL were nil. Nevertheless, had that fanboy wet dream occurred, it would have made things even more obvious than they are now concerning Keith.

Mick had a great night. I think it was a great night for the Stones, and their fans, too.

I mean...did you see Mick Jagger last night? He is certainly not the reason the Stones aren't playing live these days. Best to lay the blame where it seems to belong rather than bash the guy who is clearly ready to rock and roll.

Posted by: Alef ()
Date: May 20, 2012 21:25

Any links to the music vids that play on an Ipad?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 20, 2012 21:26

Turd On The Run
71Tele

Last night Jagger was his usual charismatic, amazing self. He looked fantastic (dude is almost 70...are you f*cking kidding me?!!!)...and sang better than he has in years...and I will admit that my fear at this point is that the only thing holding the Stones back is probably the fact that Keef can't play anymore...Charlie, Ronnie, and Bill (and Mick Taylor and Mac if they want) are all vibrant, available, and still playing regularly with their own bands...I suspect Keef is the one that simply cannot hold his own end of the bargain...sad...imagine if they invite Jeff Beck (who they once auditioned to join the band after Taylor left)...talk about chops! Imagine getting those cats together one last time and having Jagger front that band...can you say awesome last curtain call? Keith...WHERE ARE YOU??

I guess this video still can be used even if it is from 2006. It is timeless, Keith's always ready to rock - uuupss yawning smiley)

Date: May 20, 2012 21:30

...fast forward to 2010 when Keith appeared on the Jimmy Fallon show and begged not to be asked to play because, "you're looking at a very rusty Keith Richards". I don't imagine much has changed in 2012.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 20, 2012 21:34

<<I mean...did you see Mick Jagger last night? He is certainly not the reason the Stones aren't playing live these days. Best to lay the blame where it seems to belong rather than bash the guy who is clearly ready to rock and roll.>>

...not so sure that the other guy wants to play with him either if all he can write is schmaltz like Streets of Love and market it on Days Of Our Lives....it takes 2 to tango....aren't you tired of being in the middle....

Date: May 20, 2012 21:44

Rip This
<<I mean...did you see Mick Jagger last night? He is certainly not the reason the Stones aren't playing live these days. Best to lay the blame where it seems to belong rather than bash the guy who is clearly ready to rock and roll.>>

...not so sure that the other guy wants to play with him either if all he can write is schmaltz like Streets of Love and market it on Days Of Our Lives....it takes 2 to tango....aren't you tired of being in the middle....

That's all he can write, is it?

Date: May 20, 2012 21:47

Wait...you think Keith doesn't want to play with Mick because of the quality of some of the more recent Stones songs?

I would hazard a guess that you're projecting a bit there.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 20, 2012 21:56

71Tele
superrevvy

3) As anticipated, Mick performed at the end of the show outside on Rockefeller
Plaza. More Stones hits. Thus re-confirming the outdoor festivals/hits
pre-announcement.

Enough with the festivals thing already.

thanks! i almost forgot....

7) Mick/Steven as a judge for the "How well do you dance at music festivals" bit!

Date: May 20, 2012 21:56

Few occurrences would make me happier than Keith guesting on Fallon again and blowing the doors off the joint with Jack White, or Tom Waits or whomever....I'm a big believer in the concept that the competitive drive of the Glimmer Twins is what has kept the Stones afloat for so long.

Unfortunately, I don't think things are very competitive any more.

I would love to be proved wrong.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 20, 2012 22:01

schillid
71Tele

Gee whiz... You don't have to "buy" anything. It's just a tv show. It's free

Um, file that under "D" for "Duh". The need for some people here to take everything literally is boundless. I obviously meant "buy" in the sense of "accept".

Date: May 20, 2012 22:05

GumbootCloggeroo
71Tele
You do realize that they were together for roughly 10 minutes and that's it, right? It's not like Mick is going to play with these guys for years and years now. I swear, some people here are so damn grumpy!

I think my comments were misconstrued. Mick is a talented guy and a pro and he's going to deliver the goods in any scenario you put him in. But it was not the Rolling Stones - not even close, and I was under the assumption that it's the Rolling Stones we are interested in here.

I found it ironic that there was a karaoke sketch in the show. Mick Jagger proved last night with Foo and Arcade that he is the world's best karaoke singer of Stones songs, which is precisely what Stones songs without the stones are - karaoke (or something very close to it).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-20 22:06 by 71Tele.

Date: May 20, 2012 22:14

I would say there is a world of difference between some guy singing a Stones song to a pre-recorded track in bar somewhere and Mick Jagger singing a Stones song with the Foo Fighters or Arcade Fire.

One is karaoke, and the other was an exciting Rock and Roll performance on live TV in front of millions of viewers.

I mean....good on you if you didn't enjoy SNL, but to equate it with karaoke is pretty insipid.

Date: May 20, 2012 22:15

It is fascinating to see the excuses made and the wishful thinking about the Stones, when the one obvious thing that is staring us right in the face is that this band (if it is really a "band" anymore) has not played together in public in five years, and seems unwilling or incapable of doing so now. If we take that fact as a given (and it is a fact) then we must ask ourselves "why?" But to carry on believing that there was nothing strange about Mick Jagger performing several Rolling Stones songs with other groups on SNL, or that somehow they are on the verge of announcing some kind of big tour is to me, living in denial. They can't play together anymore. I think I have an idea why, and I would rather live with the reality than delude myself into thinking all of this is somehow normal. The only reason an official announcement isn't made that the band is over is because there is no business advantage in doing so. They may indeed be holding out hope that the situation that is keeping them from performing will change at some future date, but it appears increasingly unlikely. In the meantime we get ersatz Stones on SNL (not interested), and continued archive releases (very interested).

Date: May 20, 2012 22:18

vermontoffender
I would say there is a world of difference between some guy singing a Stones song to a pre-recorded track in bar somewhere and Mick Jagger singing a Stones song with the Foo Fighters or Arcade Fire.

One is karaoke, and the other was an exciting Rock and Roll performance on live TV in front of millions of viewers.

I mean....good on you if you didn't enjoy SNL, but to equate it with karaoke is pretty insipid.

Well, I was making an analogy and obviously using a bit of hyperbole, and if you think it's insipid, so be it. The reality is that however "exciting" it might have been it was Rolling Stones songs not being performed by the Rolling Stones, which has limited appeal for me.

Date: May 20, 2012 22:19

Bingo.

I'm interested in seeing what they do individually, but I think they're done as a functioning band.

Posted by: Alef ()
Date: May 20, 2012 22:26

People who are over-analysing this or are deeply dissapointed they did not see the Stones: get a life guys.

I think Jagger with the Foo's was great. The Foo's really brought out the best in Jagger. Never heard him sing this good in years, maybe it was the key, I don't know, he sounded stronger then I ought him able to. Never liked IORR versions post '76, this one kicked ass and was fresh and new like it was written yesterday.

Hopefuly some footage of the outside performances will surface..

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 20, 2012 22:27

vermontoffender
Wait...you think Keith doesn't want to play with Mick because of the quality of some of the more recent Stones songs?

I would hazard a guess that you're projecting a bit there.

thanks for the gumball...the point is they've both been dicks.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 20, 2012 22:39

I had posted last night on the thread that's now gone...

I think Mick shone in an otherwise tedious show. He was charming, energetic, and amusing. I haven't really watched SNL since the 70s and I found I hadn't missed much. The writing is weak at best. The only skit that was slightly funny was the karaoke segment. The low point was the Californians - it was abysmal.

Musically, I thought The Last Time with Arcade was well done. I didn't like the Foo Fighters version of IORR. It was heavy handed and lacked rhythm. The Jeff Beck piece was OK but I'm not a big fan of his. I think his playing overshadowed the vocals.

Regardless, it was GREAT to see Mick looking so good. He's definitely in shape for one last tour with the Stones!smoking smiley

Date: May 20, 2012 22:58

No doubt they've both been dicks. No doubt in the least.

It's just seems like only one of those dicks can still perform.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 20, 2012 22:59

71Tele
schillid
71Tele

Gee whiz... You don't have to "buy" anything. It's just a tv show. It's free

Um, file that under "D" for "Duh". The need for some people here to take everything literally is boundless. I obviously meant "buy" in the sense of "accept".

No, I realized that you meant "buy" figuratively, not literally... even though my reply suggested both meanings for buy.

I stand by the statement though... it's just a variety show on tv... no need to accept or reject. Just turn it on or turn it off. Not a big deal.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:08

I liked The Last Time with Arcade fire better than the Foo Fighters set. It seemed like Jagger's vocals were strained during the Foo Fighter set but maybe the Foo Fighters were just exhausted. They were down in Asbury Park yesterday at the Bamboozle Festival and had to take a helicopter up to Manhattan to make the show in time.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: May 20, 2012 23:10

I thought Mick sounded good in all of the performances. But what would Mick's vocals being strained have to do with the Foo Fighters being exhausted?

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:16

I meant the Foo Fighters set wasn't as good. Could have been Jagger's vocals or the Foo Fighter's playing or a combination of the two. It seemed like "The Last Time" was effortless for him but his voice seemed strained to me during the Foo Fighters set.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:33

KEITH RICHARDS HAS GOT TO BE PISSED. THIS SETS BACK THE GROUP , NOT HELP THEM GET TOGETHER.

That was the royal kiss-off from Mick. I don't need you, Keith, I got this guy named Jeff Beck. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-20 23:33 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:44

schillid
SNL Monologue

schillid, the videos you posted - thanks a lot for it - are not available now. can you post them again?

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:53

Okay enough talk talk, here is a clip from the show

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:53

I think rather than trying to tell Dave Grohl to take it easy on his singing volume in his role as back-up, Mick just thought
he'd sing over him, which worked most of the time.

~"Love is Strong"~

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home