Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:55

Mick was great. He's doesn't need Keith.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:59

first said back in 1984 which turned out to be bullshit just like now

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 21, 2012 00:19

angee
I think rather than trying to tell Dave Grohl to take it easy on his singing volume in his role as back-up, Mick just thought
he'd sing over him, which worked most of the time.

you must have seen a different version than me ... i could barely hear grohl's backups for the most part ... not at least until the duet portion near the end.

Date: May 21, 2012 00:34

Thank you for the info posted.

Needless to say that all of us here fans in iorr org love Stones. I do not understand the bitter fights.

Needless to say that I do not get tired of watching anything related to this band.

Needles to say that If I were rich enough I would attend every show (if there were a tour).

But in my case...I have to admit it is basically because of....well it is not nostalgia....but If I watch Jagger now or I will watch them in the future it is becouse they were the best (and no one is better than them now) ...and I admire them so much becouse who they ARE but not becouse the things they DO or ARE ABLE to DO..

Come on...Bill would be almost octogenarian if it were a tour...Jagger and Richards septuagenarians...haven't you have enough?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 21, 2012 00:39

After seeing the music and comedy clips of SNL,I can see why Mick did it for being popular in NY and North America and his buddy in charge of the show. The humour and programme itself were lost on me ,even though some of the shows here in U.K. are not that great either.Not my idea of great entertainment ,but I do appreciate it would go down well over there.Lots of differance between each side of the pond.Would love to see Mick in U.K. doing a similar thing ,but in a U.K. type format.More of a talk show host with home music and acting talent past and present from people he likes and admires.Joining in as vocalist with them as in SNL.Never happen here but I live in hope.smoking smiley

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 21, 2012 00:41

Haven't watched SNL in decades...but did enjoy the show and Mick overall. The Steven Tyler bit was classic!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 21, 2012 00:50

flilflam
I have nothing against the Foo Fighters or Arcade Fire. They are fine, established bands. Mick Jagger as usual was quite the showman and showed what a great rock singer he really is.

But those songs played with those bands were terrible. All were played at a too fast pace. While I am sure the guitarists hit all the right notes, that special Keith Richards guitar sound and tuning were not there at all. It sounded forced and was not at all like what the Stones music really sounds like. It is not Stones music unless Keith is there with his riffing.

Nothing against your post but just when was the last time Keith was "riffing" as you say?

What tour? How long ago was that?

Thanks in advance........

Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: May 21, 2012 00:51

angee
I think rather than trying to tell Dave Grohl to take it easy on his singing volume in his role as back-up, Mick just thought

Nonsense. Grohl's backing vocals were only marginally audible to begin with. What you heard, at least on IORR, was Mick pushing his voice to try and sound more aggressive as the music intensified.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 21, 2012 00:55

Nimrod
angee

Nonsense. Grohl's backing vocals were only marginally audible to begin with. What you heard, at least on IORR, was Mick pushing his voice to try and sound more aggressive as the music intensified.

nevermind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-21 00:56 by Send It To me.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: May 21, 2012 00:55

donvis
Why are so many people pissed off at Mick because he can still do it and Keith can't? Obviously Keith is too ill to perform because his massive insecurity/big ego would never let Mick get the best of him. But Mick rocked it. Keith may as well go to the manor i.e. nursing home. The Stones are done. Open the vaults.
"its good to be here, its good to be anywhere" lol

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2012 00:57

melillo

But back in 84 Keith could hold a guitar...whether MJ needs Keith or not is really besides the point. I don't believe Keith of lore is even available any more.

That is of course the tragedy if it turns out to be true.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 21, 2012 00:57

I thought that he was incredible all the way through the show; the monologue was extremely well delivered, most of the skits were funny...and it goes to show that Mick does not take himself all that seriously because for him to look so FUNNY as a nerd and a gay nerd at that, took guts! ( And a great sense of humor) He really was singing like a man in his 30's with the Foo Fighters especially!! What a joy to see! I DVRed it so I want to see the Jeff Beck bit again. So cool to hear tones songs performed so well by bands other than the Stoes..really enjoyed " The Last Time" It's Only Rock N' Roll, and She's a Rainbow. Mick realy seemed to be totaly enjoying himself....life after the Stones....could be a sign of what's to come....I think we all know it.

Date: May 21, 2012 01:02

melillo

Do you realize we're talking about a different of 28 years?

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 21, 2012 01:04

Bottom line is Mick's SNL gig did nothing to suggest that he can't be a performer, musical, at a high level.

Good for Mick and his SNL performance in my book.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 21, 2012 01:32

good choice...

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: May 21, 2012 01:52

Nimrod
melillo

That was also a time when the band was just a few years removed from some of its biggest hits. Flashforward to 2012, and no one outside of fan circles even questioned the Stones' absence on this episode.

Yeah, I wish the entire band had appeared, but they didn't and Mick still killed it. He charmed the audience, effortlessly fronted a couple of bands half his age, and even managed to get censored in certain markets. (During what was essentially a modern day Petrol Gang, no less.)

[latimesblogs.latimes.com]

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 21, 2012 01:57

Nimrod
melillo

Sadly, some people here thinks that we're living in 1978.

The Stones are done, I can't imagine Keith playing 15 songs for an hour and half, let alone a tour.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: May 21, 2012 02:00

Living in 78?

Hell, I'm still living in 68

lol

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: May 21, 2012 02:04

Turd On The Run
MightyStonesStillRollin50
71Tele
At the end of the day, while all six members of the Rolling Stones who made the great Exile On Main Street and Some Girls albums are alive and available, we get the freaking Foo Fighters and Jeff Beck. I'm not buying the inferior product Mick, sorry.

Love the sound of Arcade Fire. They, and Mick were on fire for The Last Time. Foo Fighters were good too. If this doesn't light a fire under Keith then he isn't the pirate I think he is. Maybe Mick did this just to motivate the Stones? I think Keith is going to shock a lot of people in the near future. He is going to rise up and be the old Keith for one last time. Don't bet against that tough old SOB!

Last night Jagger was his usual charismatic, amazing self. He looked fantastic (dude is almost 70...are you f*cking kidding me?!!!)...and sang better than he has in years...and I will admit that my fear at this point is that the only thing holding the Stones back is probably the fact that Keef can't play anymore...Charlie, Ronnie, and Bill (and Mick Taylor and Mac if they want) are all vibrant, available, and still playing regularly with their own bands...I suspect Keef is the one that simply cannot hold his own end of the bargain...sad...imagine if they invite Jeff Beck (who they once auditioned to join the band after Taylor left)...talk about chops! Imagine getting those cats together one last time and having Jagger front that band...can you say awesome last curtain call? Keith...WHERE ARE YOU??

I would gladly see that band. This would be a good line up. If Keith can play an acoustic and fatten the sound that would be welcomed too. Just keep him away from lead, sorry.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 21, 2012 02:06

Watched the clips and thought it was great. Jagger didn't over dance and did some great vocals. And both bands were excited as hell to be playing with him. Wonderful to see. Just enjoy.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 21, 2012 02:30

Nimrod
angee

Agree to disagree, noticed it the whole time during the set, though he was not on camera until the later parts.
I won't try to tell you what you heard though. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 21, 2012 02:37

Nimrod
71Tele
At the end of the day, while all six members of the Rolling Stones who made the great Exile On Main Street and Some Girls albums are alive and available, we get the freaking Foo Fighters and Jeff Beck. I'm not buying the inferior product Mick, sorry.

Love the sound of Arcade Fire. They, and Mick were on fire for The Last Time. Foo Fighters were good too. If this doesn't light a fire under Keith then he isn't the pirate I think he is. Maybe Mick did this just to motivate the Stones? I think Keith is going to shock a lot of people in the near future. He is going to rise up and be the old Keith for one last time. Don't bet against that tough old SOB!

Look, I love Keith Richards as much as anyone...but the guy is on anti-seizure medication (in addition to who knows what else), has a nagging arthritic condition in his fingers, and has been showing a general decline in playing ability over the past decade or so. On top of that, he isn't getting any younger, and it's harder for an old guy...an old guy with multiple conditions that directly affect his playing ability...to just be able to pick up the guitar after periods of seemingly non-activity and dust off the cobwebs.

If Keith is as bad as you say he is then it is time for the Stones to call it a career. Assuming you are correct, maybe they are just hanging on until the 50th anniversary year has passed before making it official? One thing to keep in mind is that it has been Keith that has been pushing for some time to bring the boys together. If he is in such bad shape (and knows it) why would he purposely embarrass himself like that? It just doesn't add up, which of course isn't all that unusual with these guys. They are masters at running mis-direction plays. The truth is we won't know exactly what is going on until it all plays itself out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-21 02:47 by MightyStonesStillRollin50.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 21, 2012 02:40

georgelicks
Nimrod
melillo

Sadly, some people here thinks that we're living in 1978.

The Stones are done, I can't imagine Keith playing 15 songs for an hour and half, let alone a tour.

ok so next year when it happens what will you say then? you will be buying tix like the rest of us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-21 02:52 by melillo.

The Sicilian
MarianneFaithfullFan
Alot American humour I just can't get into

A Harry Potter marathon is on the family channel.

British thumbs up

Posted by: No Expectations ()

1cdog
Bottom line is Mick's SNL gig did nothing to suggest that he can't be a performer, musical, at a high level.

Good for Mick and his SNL performance in my book.

Agreed

Date: May 21, 2012 02:57

riverrat
Somebody tell me what he was really saying on The Last Time, because I kept hearing "See you in the fall, See you in the fall"...?????? If it was just my imagination, what was he really saying? I can't always understand what he says.

No, it wasn't your imagination. That's exactly what I am hearing. I have played it back more than a dozen times. The introduction to the song was very spiritual. To me, that was a clue in and of itself. The Last Time was chosen for a reason. A very special reason. I know this will be hotly contested, but so be it.

Date: May 21, 2012 03:31

riverrat
Somebody tell me what he was really saying on The Last Time, because I kept hearing "See you in the fall, See you in the fall"...?????? If it was just my imagination, what was he really saying? I can't always understand what he says.

No, it wasn't your imagination. That's exactly what I am hearing. I have played it back more than a dozen times. The introduction to the song was very spiritual. To me, that was a clue in and of itself. The Last Time was chosen for a reason. A very special reason. I know this will be hotly contested, but so be it.

It will be contested because it's insane. Arcade Fire have covered the song in the past. When it came time to discuss what song they'd be doing with Mick, it makes sense that they would choose a song they were already familiar with.

I mean, if you're going to read into the words "The Last Time" as being some sort of hidden message about the Stones touring one last time, then why should we stop there? Maybe it meant it's THE LAST TIME Mick will ever host SNL. Maybe it meant it's THE LAST TIME Mick will ever sing a Stones song. Or maybe it meant nothing. In fact, no "maybe"...it DID mean nothing.

And no, he was not singing "See you in the fall". Even if the Stones did have plans to perform in the fall, there's no way Mick would sing that. It's too stupid.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 21, 2012 03:49

I thought all the insanity would be over now that the show is over...now we gotta deal with ridiculous posts on hidden messages and subliminal suggestions by Mick as he performed? Sweet Moses...are we honestly THAT desperate for a tour? Why in the world Mick Jagger--a guy who has gone on record saying to never predict or make future plans in public---go on SNL and drop a hint saying "see you in the fall?" I thought some of you were hardcore fans. Don't you know Mick better than that? You guys are putting up some rookie mistakes here making all these ridiculous speculations. Mick hosted and performed in SNL. There is no hidden agenda...no secret messages or double meanings. The show is over, Mick has moved on to whatever he has next on his plate. Shouldn't we all do the same?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 21, 2012 03:51

Justin
I thought all the insanity would be over now that the show is over...now we gotta deal with ridiculous posts on hidden messages and subliminal suggestions by Mick as he performed? Sweet Moses...are we honestly THAT desperate for a tour? Why in the world Mick Jagger--a guy who has gone on record saying to never predict or make future plans in public---go on SNL and drop a hint saying "see you in the fall?" I thought some of you were hardcore fans. Don't you know Mick better than that? You guys are putting up some rookie mistakes here making all these ridiculous speculations. Mick hosted and performed in SNL. There is no hidden agenda...no secret messages or double meanings. The show is over, Mick has moved on to whatever he has next on his plate. Shouldn't we all do the same?

+1

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 21, 2012 04:00

Mary: is that you? Nadine, honey is that you?
is that you Mary? I hope so

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home