Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 20, 2012 17:43

GumbootCloggeroo
Palace Revolution 2000
Putting aside the disappointment about no Stones etc - the finale was great. Who else would get this HUGE turnout of old cast members etc to show up?
Oh come on, let's not make Mick into a god or anything. It wasn't THAT huge of a turn out. Sorry to burst your bubble smiling smiley

The cast members came back to say goodbye to Kristen Wiig, who is leaving SNL. Of course, the chance to be onstage with Mick Jagger, singing along to a Rolling Stones song, no doubt gave them a little extra incentive to show up.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 20, 2012 17:45

I've seen most of the important bits now, so I'll say:

As a comedian, Mick is a great rock & roll frontman... Competent, but no more: after all, it's not his area of expertise, and scripted lines are not what he "does". But the karaoke sketch was fun, if a bit overlong, and the sad "satisfaction" at the end was maybe nearer the truth of that song than the routine way it's got sung on stage in recent years.

The music:

Loved the Last Time with Arcade Fire. The segue from the gospel opening to Mick and AF felt a bit forced, but once AF got going they had my feet tapping, and they seem to have the vibe and enthusiasm of the 60s version. Very enjoyable.

Foo Fighters: NNB wasn't bad, but IORR wasn't rock'n'roll and I didn't like it. I accept what people are saying about how true it was to the recorded original, but sorry, it just didn't do it for me: Mick was matching himself to the FFs' power-rock and being a shouty rock frontman, and completely lost the subtle cynical sssnakiness of the original vocal. Top marks for effort by all concerned, but too loud, too much drums.

Jeff Beck: basically a political sketch set to a blues-by-numbers backing. Nothing much musically, but my goodness didn't Mick and Jeff show off how much they were enjoying playing together! (Look, Keith, I can do this with other guitarists and enjoy it more than I do with you...)

She's A Rainbow / Ruby Tuesday: you don't have to be a Heavy Rawk Band to play either of these and this section was charming musically. yes it was awkward, but it was an emotional farewell and would have been just as awkward (maybe more) with any other music.

More or less what I expected: Mick doing a great professional job and everyone fired up to be playing with him and putting their all into it, and Mick himself clearly having a blast. Mostly very enjoyable, and I'm glad it went so well, but the message is now out there that if the band can't make it in 2013 (for reasons known or unknown) we may well hear the announcement:

"Ladies and Gentlemen - the Rolling Stone!"

Nice to know that Mick can if necessary go it alone and enjoy it, but I hope he doesn't have to do so next year.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: May 20, 2012 17:46

Mick kicked some serious a**. Pretty amazing. If all the other Stones showed the same level of professionalism, nobody would wonder about the (near) future of the band.

Mick isn't blabbering around the world about the size of Keith's "toddler" or making crappy paintings. He's playing with accomplished musicians and kicking butts. Hats off. I hope Keith was watching.

Date: May 20, 2012 17:46

24FPS
Not one mention of the Stones.

There were two mentions of the Stones.

Date: May 20, 2012 17:48

loog droog
surprising song choices...NOTHING from the "Golden Age!"

Depends on what you consider to be the Golden Age.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: May 20, 2012 17:48

I have nothing against the Foo Fighters or Arcade Fire. They are fine, established bands. Mick Jagger as usual was quite the showman and showed what a great rock singer he really is.

But those songs played with those bands were terrible. All were played at a too fast pace. While I am sure the guitarists hit all the right notes, that special Keith Richards guitar sound and tuning were not there at all. It sounded forced and was not at all like what the Stones music really sounds like. It is not Stones music unless Keith is there with his riffing.

Date: May 20, 2012 17:49

Does anybody know where to watch the SNL show from last night?

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Re: Saturday Night Live
Date: May 20, 2012 17:54

24FPS
Don't you love people who think they're hip because they say they haven't watched SNL in years? Anything the public likes they have to be against. Like their 'alternative' tastes are all that.

Maybe they just like to go out on Saturday nights.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 20, 2012 17:55

Rocky Dijon
"Tea Party" (Mick Jagger)

If you wanna sleep in the West Wing
You gotta strategize a bit
You wanna sleep in the West Wing
You wanna keep that private bowling alley
You gotta strategize
You're gonna have to raise about 100 million dollars
or you're going to end up so deep down in the shit

Mr Romney he's a mensch, but he always plays it straight and fair
Mr Romney he's a hard working man and he always says his prayers
But there's one little thing about him, don't ever let him cut your hair

Who'll be the president come November, well it's anbody's guess
who'll be sitting in that Oval Office, who can say I must confess
I bet you in six months, he'll be screaming,
"Honey, won't you let me outta this mess"

it is quite an achievement - a censorship in his age and with his veteran status

Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck on 'SNL': Some NBC stations censor song
It was only rock 'n' roll, but some NBC affiliates apparently didn't like it when host Mick Jagger did a profanity-laced political song on "Saturday Night Live."
Near the end of Saturday's season finale, the 68-year-old Rolling Stones frontman performed "Tea Party," a bluesy number featuring guitar virtuoso Jeff Beck. Jagger told the audience he wrote the song, which is about the current presidential campaign and its candidates who "have to strategize a bit."
The next line included a curse word that evidently led some stations to cut away early to commercials, according to numerous Twitter users. However, other stations -- including KNBC-TV in Los Angeles -- ran the whole number uncensored. (Warning: The video below contains the profanity.) Because "SNL" airs during the Federal Communications Commission's "safe harbor" hours of 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. -- when broadcasters can telecast material deemed indecent -- NBC was probably not obligated to censor the song at the national level, but local station managers could use their discretion...
Most of the early reviews on Twitter were enthusiastic for Jagger's hosting job, especially his performances with Beck, Arcade Fire and Foo Fighters.

"Jagger and Foo Fighters on #SNL is an #InstantClassic," tweeted @311Underdog.

Quipped @rebeccablissett: "That Mick Jagger kid, he's really gonna be something someday."

Did "Tea Party" air uncut on your local station?
[latimesblogs.latimes.com]

Date: May 20, 2012 18:00

71Tele
Mick of course has the "right" to do whatever the hell he wants, but I thought it spoke volumes that he goes on SNL a week after the Stones supposedly rehearse in the same city and sings a multitude of Stones songs with other bands, pretty much blurring the line between the Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger, imo. And to finish with everyone singing Ruby Tuesday, a song Keith wrote, was a bit weird.

The finale with SAR and RT was definitely Lorne Michael's idea, as a send off to Kristin Wiig. It was interesting that he performed several songs from the Brian Jones era, particularly since when the Stones performed on SNL in '78, they played three brand new ones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:01

tatters
24FPS
Not one mention of the Stones.

There were two mentions of the Stones.

so technically, he is correct, not one mention of the Stones. Two mentions.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:03

Mick was amazing. The energy, the vitality....amazing night.

3 songs with high energy bands, plus virtually every sketch. The man is a force of nature.

I can't help but wonder why anyone is still pretending Keith can keep up. The gap between their current levels of ability is staggering.

Awesome job, Mick.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:05

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:07

I must say that I find it hard to take Jagger's political statements seriously. They are lame and too few. And, really, if he wants to make political statments why not do them off stage. In interviews he often has no opinions at all in political matters. And why is it always the Tea Party that becomes the aim for his critisism? The businessman Jagger should know that they make up quite a large group of potential consumers...

Date: May 20, 2012 18:08

HopeYouGuessMyName
Yes some of it was funny.....seeing Mick as the nebbishy guy at the karaoke bar was quie funny

The karaoke skit was cute. It reminded me of a SNL skit Stevie Wonder and Eddie Murphy did back in the mid-80s, where Stevie did a very nerdy impression of himself, Eddie told him "That's the worst Stevie Wonder impression I ever heard" and Stevie asked "What's wrong with it?" Funny and a little weird.

Date: May 20, 2012 18:11

Kurt
I do think some serious thought went into the song choices to rattle the cages of the Stones' fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lorne Michaels had a lot to do with the song choices. When the Stones played SNL in '78, they did three new ones. You always want to do what you haven't done before, so there may have been a conscious decision on Lorne's part to have Mick do some really old ones this time.

Date: May 20, 2012 18:12

Rickster
I hate when artists play hit songs and use a different band if Mick was gonna sing Stones songs it should have been the Rolling Stones playing on SNL. Not the Foo Fighters .

it's not good to hate artists for being artists.

Date: May 20, 2012 18:13

tatters
Kurt
I do think some serious thought went into the song choices to rattle the cages of the Stones' fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lorne Michaels had a lot to do with the song choices. When the Stones played SNL in '78, they did three new ones. You always want to do what you haven't done before, so there may have been a conscious decision on Lorne's part to have Mick do some really old ones this time.

I'd say MJ approached the bands and asked them..."what would you like to play?"

Date: May 20, 2012 18:14

Rip This
I remain feeling some agitation, befuddlement, bemusement, bewilderment, chagrin, discomfiting, dumbfounding, perplexing, puzzlement, stew, stirring up, tangling, tumult, turbulence, turmoil, unsettling, upsetting feelings

And you're having these feelings in alphabetical order, are you?

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:19

Jagger is sort of kissing Obama's ass? I still like Romney.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:25

elunsi
Pie1
Erm, seems there's some kind of jam with FF and Mick going down at Rockefeller center right now per Questlove's Twitter feed. For you New Yorkers still awake.
[instagr.am]
[instagr.am]

Does anybody have more information about this? Was that at the party?

This just up on YouTube: can you see Mick? All I can hear is the FFs

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:27

winter
souldoggie
(re: Foos doing IORR)

Different strokes for different folks.
When the drummer is ahead of the beat and pushing, not pulling it back, the song loses it's charm.
I agree with whoever it was who said he hates it when cover bands do this song.
Without a rockin' piano and Charlie's swing, it may still be rock n roll, but I don't like it.

Uh, might wanna check your LP credits. tonite's version was the first in decades that had a real 'breakdown' section like the record, and uh, Charlie's not on the studiio recording!!

Haha, nice!

Summary:
- skits were mildly funny at the most, same as SNL typically
- Mick & Arcade Fire was decent
- Mick & Foos were fantastic, as expected (Foos are an amazing band!)
- Mick & Jeff Beck, I seem to be only one that loves this ... reminds me of Everybody Knows About My Good Thing ... and to criticize JB's guitar, saying he's not playing w/ the band - really? That's how blues artists have been playing it for years! I thought he was great!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:34

I like the Foofighters performance. the rest of what Mick did I didn't think was that good. However, it did get me interested in watching SNL again. There were some other funny things on there. Too Bad Kristen Wiig is leaving, she had a long run though. Mick is a very talented man but he's just not a comedic performer. It was funnier/cooler when he was the musical guest and did one or two skits at the most. The Californians funny. He was really weird in that skit but he didn't have to do that much and it somehow worked. Same thing with the so you think you can Dance skit. But That's not enough to go on for carrying an entire show. The karaoke singing was funny and a fresh take on doing mick impersonations but when he sang that slow version of satisfaction it was just awkward and killed the skit IMO.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-20 19:01 by ryanpow.

Date: May 20, 2012 18:37

71Tele
Will we hear from the folks who kept guaranteeing us that the Stones would play, the next tour announced, etc?

The silence is a bit deafening isn't it?

Date: May 20, 2012 18:38

mitchflorida1
Jagger is sort of kissing Obama's ass? I still like Romney.

that's certainly a relief.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:40

"didn't Mick and Jeff show off how much they were enjoying playing together! (Look, Keith, I can do this with other guitarists and enjoy it more than I do with you...)"

I didn't see this but I think you're 100% right? A handful of "club" gigs this year with the JBeck band wouldn't surprise me.

"Mick & Jeff Beck, I seem to be only one that loves this"

I love it too. It's the first time in years that Beck actually plays licks and scales and does not rely on his whammy bar to produce "sounds".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-20 18:42 by dcba.

Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:42

I'm sick of this "but Foo Fighters have no swing or feel!" argument. The Foos rocked and had power and energy, something the Stones have been lacking for years. Deal with it. As much as I love Charlie, the guy has played the same beat in the same way on nearly every song for a long time now. Taylor Hawkins gave the song more swing and feel than its had live since around 1975. The guitarists were doing more than walking around posing. To these ears, the Foos had plenty of "feel" because it felt like I was actually listening to a band with a pulse.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:44

superrevvy
my personal "chance of SNL Stones" forecast is being
revised upwards again from 98% to 99.5%

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:48

Nimrod
I'm sick of this "but Foo Fighters have no swing or feel!" argument. The Foos rocked and had power and energy, something the Stones have been lacking for years. Deal with it. As much as I love Charlie, the guy has played the same beat in the same way on nearly every song for a long time now. Taylor Hawkins gave the song more swing and feel than its had live since around 1975. The guitarists were doing more than walking around posing. To these ears, the Foos had plenty of "feel" because it felt like I was actually listening to a band with a pulse.
Well said.
It's like some people on here are afraid to admit that what Mick did last night was exciting and refreshing and cool. Are they afraid of betraying The Stones by enjoying another band's interpretation of their songs? I don't get it. Last night was great!

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 20, 2012 18:51

treaclefingers
71Tele
Will we hear from the folks who kept guaranteeing us that the Stones would play, the next tour announced, etc?

The silence is a bit deafening isn't it?

Justin
superrevvy
my personal "chance of SNL Stones" forecast is being
revised upwards again from 98% to 99.5%

I have already spun events completely to my advantage on page 48 of this thread.

Look for future events to spin themselves even further in my direction, <3 revvy

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home