Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 21
Re: OT : Any Ted Nugent fans here ?
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 28, 2012 00:05

More Hot Rocks
mickscarey
Prove it.

Watch Behind The Music. he talks about it on there. he admits it. I guess I just proved it.

Jerry Lee Lewis...Chuck Berry...Jagger...Wyman...the list goes on and on, not saying it's right but to pick on Ted alone, what's your point, I guess I just made mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-28 00:19 by shadooby.

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 02:47

mickscarey
Tell you WHO likes litle girls - Bill Wyman

And Iggy...and Jimmy Page...

Hey, after 15 they get the cottage cheese thighs, so they gotta get 'em while they're hot, right?

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 02:58

I see a lot of bullshit in this thread. I mean, he is a Rock & Roller..who gives a @#$%& about his politics? Do I not listen to someone who is a drug addict, or is gay, or is a total shit-eating nutcase (literally in the case of GG Allin)?

The answer is NO. None of those things really matter to me except when they interfere with how they play. Now, I wouldn't go to a Nuge concert today because he inserts his politics into his performances - something I dont wanna hear no matter WHO I am paying to watch.

But the bottom line for me is that the dude wrote some killer Midwest-American Rock & Roll. He has incredible chops and in his prime was as great an over-the-top guitar-playing frontman as you could find.

Get over your (or his) politics and just listen to the music. At his best, he played some of the greatest 1970s guitar Rock ever.

Here is a superb example of a 1970s guitar solo...@#$%& incredible. Then, he and Derek do the dueling guitar thing:

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: April 28, 2012 03:09

"At 18, she slept with Mick Jagger, who told her he had been waiting to bed her since she was 10."

Mackenzie Phillips: I was high on TODAY

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 28, 2012 03:28

milliondollarsad
This video reminds me of the band Stillwater in Almost Famous. Third rate 70s arena rock. No tune, really bland riff, no feel whatsoever. People knock The Eagles but they're several degrees better than this.

I know only a little of Ted's stuff some of which I like yet your point about the Eagles -- who were better song writers -- hits on something I wondered about with a guy like Ted: If He had found the right group to play with his talent may have been better served.

Think of Joe Walsh with the Eagles. He gave them some muscle. As a whole they created a lot of great songs.

Likewise Ted's muscular playing needed a similar group.

Ted's politics do not bother me although he crossed a line recently and took it back. I chalked that up to a politically passionate guy who has a microphone in front of him so often. When you have a mic in front of you then sooner or later you will screw up. Even professional journalists and politicians screw up.

It would not stop me from considering seeing him play and based on the poster who saw him in Glasgow I might do just that.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 28, 2012 05:02

This post is intended to be about Ted's music!!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 28, 2012 05:22

71Tele
treaclefingers
71Tele
mickschix
71Tele, so glad I read all of the posts just so I could get to yours! Perfectly stated. It seems to be more the truth these days that idiots like Nugent DO represent the far-right. You have to know that if the Secret Service-FBI paid a visit to this LUNATIC, it was serious shit he was spewing. Notice Nugent tried to back-track...it scared him shitless...big coward! Maybe they'll deport him. Bye Bye Teddy.

Well, I've said all I had to say on the subject - perhaps I said too much. But I appreciate the support. I was feeling kind of lonely. Thank you.

smileys with beer I also appreciated your calm and lucid, non-baiting commentary on this thread Tele.

Hmm. I'm going to go with "you're absolutely sincere" and just say thank you. smoking smiley

I'm being sincere, promise.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 28, 2012 05:50

ridiculous

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 28, 2012 06:49

Love 70's guitar rock but again I just don't hear any good songs in Ted's case. And as for his guitar playing, the time I saw him live, would have been '79 I guess, even as a 15-year-old who was easily impressed by guitar histrionics, I remember thinking, "man, this is just boring". He noodled in between every song, completely devoid of nuance. What's that line from Macbeth? "Sound and fury signifying nothing".That's Ted in a nutshell, to me anyway. But hey, fill yer boots if you dig it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 28, 2012 07:19

treaclefingers
71Tele
treaclefingers
71Tele
mickschix
71Tele, so glad I read all of the posts just so I could get to yours! Perfectly stated. It seems to be more the truth these days that idiots like Nugent DO represent the far-right. You have to know that if the Secret Service-FBI paid a visit to this LUNATIC, it was serious shit he was spewing. Notice Nugent tried to back-track...it scared him shitless...big coward! Maybe they'll deport him. Bye Bye Teddy.

Well, I've said all I had to say on the subject - perhaps I said too much. But I appreciate the support. I was feeling kind of lonely. Thank you.

smileys with beer I also appreciated your calm and lucid, non-baiting commentary on this thread Tele.

Hmm. I'm going to go with "you're absolutely sincere" and just say thank you. smoking smiley

Thanks again....

Mr. Nugent has worked very hard through his illustrious career to say outrageous things and make himself controversial. One could even argue that by creating the persona he has created, he has been able to prolong a career that would have been over quite some time ago. No one should be surprised then that when someone posts an OT thread asking "any Ted Nugent fans here?" that there would be some negative responses as well as positive ones.

Apologies for the edits (I decided to make this much more brief), and for any bad feeling unintentionally generated by the prior discussion.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-28 07:41 by 71Tele.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 07:34

saw him live last year,killer show.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 09:55

mickscarey
and the lovely No-bama, and I quote...
"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,”
Ah, yes...the typical tired, predictable right-wing tactic of trying to find an equivalent quote from the left in order to prove that "both sides do it."

Well, no. Both sides DON'T do it, at least not to the same degree. The right-wing has been using openly-violent, eliminationist rhetoric towards liberals for several decades.

And as for Maher wishing for Cheney's death: so what?

I'm looking forward to his death as well, whenever it comes. I have a bottle of champagne at the ready for the momentous event.

He is an evil man who ruined America and is responsible for the deaths of thousands of people. The world will be a better place once he's gone. Unfortunately, his daughter is almost as repulsive and vile as he is.

Date: April 28, 2012 10:58

keefriff99
mickscarey
and the lovely No-bama, and I quote...
"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,”
Ah, yes...the typical tired, predictable right-wing tactic of trying to find an equivalent quote from the left in order to prove that "both sides do it."

Well, no. Both sides DON'T do it, at least not to the same degree. The right-wing has been using openly-violent, eliminationist rhetoric towards liberals for several decades.

And as for Maher wishing for Cheney's death: so what?

I'm looking forward to his death as well, whenever it comes. I have a bottle of champagne at the ready for the momentous event.

He is an evil man who ruined America and is responsible for the deaths of thousands of people. The world will be a better place once he's gone. Unfortunately, his daughter is almost as repulsive and vile as he is.

classic

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 11:28

Really the political thing isn't the point. The point is that he plays comic rock. Stuff that is so outrageously panders to the lowers cultural bar possible. As I said in an earlier post, he had some good stuff with the Amboy Dukes, and a few good things after that, but now he is a tired rock cliche. Plus he has really bad hair.

Date: April 28, 2012 11:43

whitem8
Really the political thing isn't the point. The point is that he plays comic rock. Stuff that is so outrageously panders to the lowers cultural bar possible. As I said in an earlier post, he had some good stuff with the Amboy Dukes, and a few good things after that, but now he is a tired rock cliche. Plus he has really bad hair.
Yeah... just stick to your gamelan, and you will be safe.

Date: April 28, 2012 12:03

Well Gamalan would be far more preferable than the Nuge. But one question. I have heard Nuge, but have you actually listened to any Gamalan?

Date: April 28, 2012 12:15

whitem8
Well Gamalan would be far more preferable than the Nuge. But one question. I have heard Nuge, but have you actually listened to any Gamalan?
of course.... and take note how I dont feel compelled to waddle onto the that gamelan thread and crap all over it. It is just not needed.

If I dont like a type of music, and someone does, it is fine by me.

If you are into the mellow sounds of wind chimey boring, that is OK with me. I dont feel obligated to start up some huge heated debate about it... I dont start insulting it.... Why would I? Why would anybody? It is never a debate/ discusssion. It is two sides screaming opposite opinions and bashing. It solves nothing.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 28, 2012 12:59

More or less unheard of in Europe. Which is a good thing, I guess. By the way, American politics is a joke. Or a tragedy rather. Sadly, the situation is likewise in Europe.

Date: April 28, 2012 13:09

Max'sKansasCity
whitem8
of course.... and take note how I dont feel compelled to waddle onto the that gamelan thread and crap all over it. It is just not needed.

If I dont like a type of music, and someone does, it is fine by me.

If you are into the mellow sounds of wind chimey boring, that is OK with me. I dont feel obligated to start up some huge heated debate about it... I dont start insulting it.... Why would I? Why would anybody? It is never a debate/ discusssion. It is two sides screaming opposite opinions and bashing. It solves nothing.

Well sorry that you feel my opinion is crapping all over the thread. I have been very restrained compared to some of the commentary on this thread. And it is just my personal opinion and taste. Actually, I love heavy music. Sabbath, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Spooky Tooth, MC5... I just find Nuge's post Amboy Dukes stuff mostly comic rock. Just shooting for the groin, and kind of boring. But to each his own. I will light my incense and play a bit of Gamelon, then will crank out some Sabbath War Pigs after a few bong pulls. Good way to start a Saturday night.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 28, 2012 15:08

Tele 71, if you are so honourable and want to bow out of the debate, why don't you delete all the unsubstantiated shit (literally) you posted about the man from extremely dubious sources. I'm sorry but I'm not letting you off the hook on this one. you can dislike the man and his politics, but we were meant to be discussing his music. I can't stand it when people drop a load of shite, then walk away smiling saying " I'm done with this debate". please take down the lies you posted, then maybe we can move on.

As for his music - Stranglehold will always be one of my favourite songs ever. he can still cut it live tho I concede he hasnt written a decent tune in decades.

71Tele
treaclefingers
71Tele
treaclefingers
71Tele
mickschix

Thanks again....

Mr. Nugent has worked very hard through his illustrious career to say outrageous things and make himself controversial. One could even argue that by creating the persona he has created, he has been able to prolong a career that would have been over quite some time ago. No one should be surprised then that when someone posts an OT thread asking "any Ted Nugent fans here?" that there would be some negative responses as well as positive ones.

Apologies for the edits (I decided to make this much more brief), and for any bad feeling unintentionally generated by the prior discussion.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 28, 2012 15:16

If I had posted any "lies" I would be happy to take them down, but I didn't.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 28, 2012 15:18

I used to listen to Ted Nugent back in the 70's.
I still have his vinyls .I enjoyed his music -very powerful and lively - but to be honest ,I haven't listen to them since I found out how far right he was and about his ideas about weapons.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 28, 2012 16:00

I listened to Cat Scratch Fever & the like when I was in junior high. The lyrics were somewhat titillating to a 13 year old kid.

I too have heard the stories about Ted soiling his clothes with feces & urine and living in this excrement to avoid the Vietnam draft. If true, it makes his neocon rants even more troubling. Do as I say, not as I do, I guess.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 28, 2012 16:24

Well I will believe it when it is substantiated. BTW Springsteen did the same to dodge the draft. listen to his spoken intro to The River on the live box set. No one here seems to criticise him. So he became anti-war, and Nugent came to a different conclusion. Whatever. they were maybe just young cowards. I've never had to make that choice, and I bet not many war heroes are here either.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 28, 2012 16:24

My theory is that there must be a deficiency in the American primary school system that generates neo-cons. I mean, an ideology that is against science in the year of 2012!

Date: April 28, 2012 16:52

Stoneage
Sadly, the situation is likewise in Europe.

+ 1

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: April 28, 2012 17:05

To come back to the music and Nugent as a guitarist :
Does it make sense to say that in my opinion -I am not a guitarist myself so I might not have a good grip -

71Tele or Naturalust or other guitarists on iorr ,please tell me what you think about :

Nugent is a "feel" type of player -loud ,hard and strong -but not technical and sure not a virtuoso - unlike Mick taylor -
Does " unsophisticated" could be appropriate ?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 28, 2012 18:38

shadooby
More Hot Rocks
mickscarey
Prove it.

Watch Behind The Music. he talks about it on there. he admits it. I guess I just proved it.

Jerry Lee Lewis...Chuck Berry...Jagger...Wyman...the list goes on and on, not saying it's right but to pick on Ted alone, what's your point, I guess I just made mine.

The point it is a crum thing to do. No matter who you are. You don't know that? geeez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-28 18:42 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 28, 2012 18:43

More Hot Rocks
shadooby
More Hot Rocks
mickscarey
Prove it.

The point it is a crum thing to do. No matter who you are. Nugent seams to think it's ok and brag about it. You don't know that? geeez

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 28, 2012 19:17

SwayStones
To come back to the music and Nugent as a guitarist :
Does it make sense to say that in my opinion -I am not a guitarist myself so I might not have a good grip -

71Tele or Naturalust or other guitarists on iorr ,please tell me what you think about :

Nugent is a "feel" type of player -loud ,hard and strong -but not technical and sure not a virtuoso - unlike Mick taylor -
Does " unsophisticated" could be appropriate ?

Your ear is intuitive in this case Sway. I couldn't describe his playing much better than that. Not much finesse. More LOUD balls to the wall rock and roll. Not so much about the musicianship, more about the show, the gimmicks, the drummer and his hair. Hard to even mention MT is the same sentence, they are miles apart. Nugent couldn't shime MT's shoes on a good day.

I love Mick Taylors playing and spirit. I am indifferent to Mr. Nugents playing and I think he sold his soul a long time ago.lol peace

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 21

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1818
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home