Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: keiths not the reason for no 2012 tour
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 5, 2012 15:57

Ouch!

That's it. No tour. They can't cover that up even with the back-up.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 5, 2012 15:59

This can be no good,pitiful,and the people in the background seem to be totally uninterested.. Sad to watch..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 5, 2012 16:53

Maybe he needs mick

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 5, 2012 16:59

KR cannot play anymore and I wonder how one can imagine him playing a concert these days.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 5, 2012 17:12

backstreetboy1
upon watching a newly resurfaced of keith and elvis costello playing several weeks back in st louis,im convinced its not his ability to play,watch the video and see what you all think,its on you tube,its the one were you see his side.

If someone had gotten up from the audience with a saw and started cutting off one of the legs on the stool, it probably would've sounded better.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 5, 2012 17:13

SweetThing
backstreetboy1
upon watching a newly resurfaced of keith and elvis costello playing several weeks back in st louis,im convinced its not his ability to play,watch the video and see what you all think,its on you tube,its the one were you see his side.

If someone had gotten up from the audience with a saw and started cutting off one of the legs on the stool, it probably would've sounded better.

Not to mention the added benefit of being even easier to google...

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 5, 2012 17:22

Not St. Louis. This was the Boston event.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: April 5, 2012 17:34

I think Keith very much is the reason for no 2012 tour, and no 2013 tour too. He can't play any more. Period. These fabulous archive downloads remind us all just how sublime the band once were and Keith's contribution is impossible to overstate. How amazing it is to listen to them when any additional keyboards and brass merely added to the core band rather than covered for them? (Them being a polite euphemism for Keith.) This is the legacy. I desperately hope they don't ruin it with another tour.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 5, 2012 17:54

They certainly could do a studio album

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 5, 2012 18:02

GOO
They certainly could do a studio album

You are right. I think the studio work is the only possibility to get something new from the band after seeing this video.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 5, 2012 18:46

I had not seen that clip with Costello, was pretty bad, but I thought it would be worse, no way he can play a 2 hours gig.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 5, 2012 19:08

stones78
I had not seen that clip with Costello, was pretty bad, but I thought it would be worse, no way he can play a 2 hours gig.

I still think Keith deserves a break here. This was a very impromptu thing, being handed a guitar he was not used to and playing something on the spur of the moment with little or no preperation.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 5, 2012 19:11

stonesdan60
stones78

I still think Keith deserves a break here. This was a very impromptu thing, being handed a guitar he was not used to and playing something on the spur of the moment with little or no preperation.

thumbs up

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 5, 2012 19:52

stonesdan60
I still think Keith deserves a break here....being handed a guitar he was not used to
That is absolutely no excuse. Keith is a professional. He's played hundreds of guitars in his life time.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 5, 2012 20:05

GumbootCloggeroo
stonesdan60
I still think Keith deserves a break here....being handed a guitar he was not used to
That is absolutely no excuse. Keith is a professional. He's played hundreds of guitars in his life time.

Doens't matter. This song isn't the typical Chuck Berry tune. The changes and turnarounds are quicker and can easily throw off any player who's used to the typical 12 bar changes (I know it did with me when I played it a year ago with a couple people). This unfamiliarity eliminates Keith playing any effective rhythm. This leaves just the leads.

The lead work is shotty, yes, but that's because Keith is desperate to find a groove. Playing an "acoustic" version of a Chuck Berry song is no easy task without a rhythm section under you. Keith is overcompensating for the missing sound by going all over the fretboard, unfortunately, it's a bunch of cluttered notes everywhere. I know how Keith plays, and when I hear him on this clip, I hear a nervous, unprepared, excited dude who wants to play his heart out. But all this BS that he can't play anymore? Doubt it.

Not sure why I went out of my way to explain this when you'll probably just say "Who cares?! he still sucks!"

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 5, 2012 20:05

When someone is almost 70 and smokes and drinks like Keith, you can expect a rapid decline in health at some point in time. Add arthritis and what do you get? When I met him in 2006, he looked like a walking corpse. My first impression was " zombie mummy". I can only imagine whY he is like now. His mind tells him he can still do it. The body, however, cannot.
It will require and act of God and some help from Mick Taylor and Ronnie to pick up the slack for two hours a night.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 5, 2012 20:06

GumbootCloggeroo
stonesdan60
He could also have said,l just came to see Chuck, not to play,l mean he is Keith Richards,is not like he needed that showcase or anything.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 5, 2012 20:40

Justin
GumbootCloggeroo
stonesdan60

Doens't matter. This song isn't the typical Chuck Berry tune. The changes and turnarounds are quicker and can easily throw off any player who's used to the typical 12 bar changes (I know it did with me when I played it a year ago with a couple people). This unfamiliarity eliminates Keith playing any effective rhythm. This leaves just the leads.

The lead work is shotty, yes, but that's because Keith is desperate to find a groove. Playing an "acoustic" version of a Chuck Berry song is no easy task without a rhythm section under you. Keith is overcompensating for the missing sound by going all over the fretboard, unfortunately, it's a bunch of cluttered notes everywhere. I know how Keith plays, and when I hear him on this clip, I hear a nervous, unprepared, excited dude who wants to play his heart out. But all this BS that he can't play anymore? Doubt it.

Not sure why I went out of my way to explain this when you'll probably just say "Who cares?! he still sucks!"
If he doesn't know the chord changes, then yes, that's one thing. But to say we should give him a break because he was handed a guitar that he's not used to? That's a total cop out. Professionals adapt to whatever guitar they are using. I highly doubt Jeff Beck's talent would be greatly diminished if he were playing a foreign guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-05 20:41 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Date: April 5, 2012 20:44

The only weird thing was when he was playing lead in the wrong key. But it was a casual unrehearsed situation, and my feeling is we shouldn't judge him too harshly based on this.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 5, 2012 20:45

jamesfdouglas
This is so sad to watch.

I agree

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: April 5, 2012 23:04

If this was the only clip of post-2007 Keith being a bit ragged, most people would cut him some slack.

Sadly, that's hardly the case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-06 01:30 by vermontoffender.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 5, 2012 23:06

Oops.....wish I'd never took a peak at that Costello/Richards clip...!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 5, 2012 23:06

He couldn't even do his "noodle riff" in the right key.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: April 5, 2012 23:14

Redhotcarpet
He sounds better on this one. But then he starts to do a solo and that's where he's lost. Until 1.48! Better there. I just dont think this is enough.

Woopss, this is really bad!!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 5, 2012 23:26

Well done backstreetboy1...just when we were just about getting over this performance you bring it up again with absolutely nothing new to add. Now we gotta have post after post reminding us how badly this performance went.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 6, 2012 00:48

it wasnt THAT bad.just a little impromtu thing they threw together and it has very little to do with the rolling stones onstage.

i will say keith needs to stay away from any kind of lead guitar playing,chuck berry or otherwise.

his strength is what it always was-hammering out those open chords.he only gets in trouble when he tries to break into some kind of lead,thats when the wheels come off.

his hands are in a bad way but if he sticks to his rhythm playing he should be alright.the problem is whos gonna tell him"do not try to play a lead under any circumstances" that might be a problem.

Date: April 6, 2012 01:13

I really didn't think it was that bad. Keith is old, and he is also very rusty. It seems that this new visibility is part of him to see what he's got in him. It wasn't a easy groove, but the Stones are notorious for sounding very, very bad at times; when jamming etc.
I don't think it is wise for Keith to carry a Stones gig anymore; not in the style he is used to playing. he has got to quit showboating, and find a simple solid niche of playing style.

Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: April 6, 2012 06:46

I totally agree that it's not as bad as most on here are saying..i wasn't there, but if it was an impromptu acoustic jam that looks almost like it was in some hotel conference room i don't see anything but maybe a little bit of rust and the two of them winging a chuck song that looks like i'd expect it to look and sound like by the two of them under those circumstances

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 6, 2012 07:14

No comments, everyone already knows what i think about this performance and Keiths current status as a guitarplayer. It's really sad to see him play this bad and there is no way he will be able to perform with the band for two hours. Last tour he played well was Licks, but now the fingers and head wont do the job well enough anymore and that's the big reason why they can't tour. O shit, now i made a comment, well ok.

Date: April 6, 2012 07:42

Justin
GumbootCloggeroo
stonesdan60

I think you nailed it with the "nervous, excited...wants to play his heart out". That's exactly what I see. he's trying to follow the chords and gets lost in the wrong key at one point, but finds his way back. After a slow start he turns it on at the end, like a veteran boxer finding that extra flicker of energy at the end of a round.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2123
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home