Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12
Re: Keith and Chuck Berry on same stage today
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 28, 2012 01:43

Justin
age has absolutely caught up with Keith.
it was his head injury that has propelled Keith to this current state.
I'm not angry at Keith.
It's really happening and it sucks.

Fair statements and a respectful way to say what you feel without any bashing. Thank you for that.
But I still hope to see the Stones at least once again.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:06

His Majesty
The decline is obvious, the reasons for it are probably out of Keith's control, thus I feel mocking him for still soldering on, having a bit of fun etc is just kicking the man when he is down.
As a musician who has done so much great stuff, who has made so many people happy through his music... he deserves better treatment. cool smiley

Think some of us are not kicking the man cos'he's down, we just give our 2cts
about what we have seen on the videos, and for me at least it makes me really sad.
When I first watch the tribute to Hubert on these YT videos , I said to myself, wow, I just couldn't believe it...and I've been in a sad mood all the day that follow.
Yes it's sad to see the guy that beat 'em all , my legend of rock'n'roll in this shape, it's like a collapse, it reminds me Elvis in 1977, and I can't find other words than sad .
This video with Costello is even worst...and once again just my thoughts not a bashing of Keith and even less a mocking, just the begining of the end of the game. Time will tell now...We'll see

HMN

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:33

Rolling Hansie
Justin
I'm not angry at Keith.

Fair statements and a respectful way to say what you feel without any bashing. Thank you for that.

I would like to see them too...and not only by seeing them in person. If they go on tour...great...I pray that all members are able to sustain the lenght of the tour. If they do a string of shows in the UK and/or one final PPV/HBO show to act as their farewell...I'm totally fine with that too.

jamesfdouglas
Very, very well put. I feel exactly the same way as you, once again.

Thanks James, it's hard to finally come to terms with all this but Keith losing his zest to play guitar isn't the end of the world. There are far worse things someone can be stricken with. Thankfully Keith seems to have his health still intact. I'd love to see Keith and the rest of the guys come together to play some music...I just don't need it to be a tour.

CBII
Justin, all your points here are spot on my friend. What we all must realize is even our biggest hero's finally meet their match. It could be injury, illness or the one that always wins TIME.

All of us have watched our hero's progress over the years and we have seen their skills slowly or abruptly atrophy. There's nothing presently available to stop or reverse this process. Wouldn't it be great if advancements in stem cell research could cure Arthritis, Alzheimer, Heart or other ailments? Alas, in time these things may come to pass. Unfortunately, these miracle cures aren't here now and for those we see slowly fading away, there's nothing to be done accept reality.

Our good friend Carlitos has posted the entire event on his site and I intend to watch all of it today.

Thanks CBII...good words by you as well. It is very much a tough thing to see our heroes finally turn "human" right before our eyes, so to speak. So you didn't get to go with your Dad to the ceremony in Boston? Bummer! Would've been a great thing to witness. Congrats to your Dad! If it were up to me...he'd be given an award every month!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:40

wupperstein
This video from 1965 shows the skills Keith had in the early days!!

video: [www.youtube.com]

That's from Charlie is my Darling, correct? I love the cigarette game at the end.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:41

Honestman
His Majesty
The decline is obvious, the reasons for it are probably out of Keith's control, thus I feel mocking him for still soldering on, having a bit of fun etc is just kicking the man when he is down.
As a musician who has done so much great stuff, who has made so many people happy through his music... he deserves better treatment. cool smiley

about what we have seen on the videos, and for me at least it makes me really sad.
When I first watch the tribute to Hubert on these YT videos , I said to myself, wow, I just couldn't believe it...and I've been in a sad mood all the day that follow.
Yes it's sad to see the guy that beat 'em all , my legend of rock'n'roll in this shape, it's like a collapse, it reminds me Elvis in 1977, and I can't find other words than sad .
This video with Costello is even worst...and once again just my thoughts not a bashing of Keith and even less a mocking, just the begining of the end of the game. Time will tell now...We'll see

Very good Honestman,l don't think that pointing out the obvious,should be taken as a personal insult to Keith....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:49

Justin
Rolling Hansie
Justin
I'm not angry at Keith.

I would like to see them too...and not only by seeing them in person. If they go on tour...great...I pray that all members are able to sustain the lenght of the tour. If they do a string of shows in the UK and/or one final PPV/HBO show to act as their farewell...I'm totally fine with that too.

jamesfdouglas
Very, very well put. I feel exactly the same way as you, once again.

Thanks James, it's hard to finally come to terms with all this but Keith losing his zest to play guitar isn't the end of the world. There are far worse things someone can be stricken with. Thankfully Keith seems to have his health still intact. I'd love to see Keith and the rest of the guys come together to play some music...I just don't need it to be a tour.

CBII
Justin, all your points here are spot on my friend. What we all must realize is even our biggest hero's finally meet their match. It could be injury, illness or the one that always wins TIME.

All of us have watched our hero's progress over the years and we have seen their skills slowly or abruptly atrophy. There's nothing presently available to stop or reverse this process. Wouldn't it be great if advancements in stem cell research could cure Arthritis, Alzheimer, Heart or other ailments? Alas, in time these things may come to pass. Unfortunately, these miracle cures aren't here now and for those we see slowly fading away, there's nothing to be done accept reality.

Our good friend Carlitos has posted the entire event on his site and I intend to watch all of it today.

Thanks CBII...good words by you as well. It is very much a tough thing to see our heroes finally turn "human" right before our eyes, so to speak. So you didn't get to go with your Dad to the ceremony in Boston? Bummer! Would've been a great thing to witness. Congrats to your Dad! If it were up to me...he'd be given an award every month!

My mom was slated to go but became sick with an upper respiratory infection sweeping the metro area. I think all my sisters have it or are getting over it. I have it, my wife is getting over it and my children already had it. It knocked everyone out of contention to attend. As far as I know, only my dad and Joe Edwards (owner of Blueberry Hill) rolled out to Boston. Ya know what's really crazy, a friend in London England says HE has the same crap and is describing the symptoms to a tee!

It was one of those moments in time that would be emblazoned in a memory for life. That Kennedy Center honor back in December 2000 was one of those moments. Turns out quite a few people in the business were there I knew. It would have been a real treat to see Leonard Cohen again.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:54

Honestman
His Majesty

My post only applies to those mocking him. winking smiley

Date: February 28, 2012 02:56

Yep HM i've got that pointwinking smiley

HMN

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 28, 2012 03:18

CBII
My mom was slated to go but became sick with an upper respiratory infection sweeping the metro area. I think all my sisters have it or are getting over it. I have it, my wife is getting over it and my children already had it. It knocked everyone out of contention to attend. As far as I know, only my dad and Joe Edwards (owner of Blueberry Hill) rolled out to Boston. Ya know what's really crazy, a friend in London England says HE has the same crap and is describing the symptoms to a tee!

It was one of those moments in time that would be emblazoned in a memory for life. That Kennedy Center honor back in December 2000 was one of those moments. Turns out quite a few people in the business were there I knew. It would have been a real treat to see Leonard Cohen again.

Damn, that bug is getting around isn't it...all the way to England , eh?? Ugh, too bad it got everyone off their feet and unable to attend. I grew up in Chicago so I know how awful it can be to have a hagging cough in the winter months! Hope the family gets back on their feet soon!

I had not even heard about the ceremony at all--it sort of crept out of nowhere. And this sort of marks the first time Keith and Chuck together in a long while, doesn't it? Maybe they've seen each other in passing but I don't recall seeing them at any event within the last 15-20 years?

For what it's worth, although Keith may have sounded a bit off it appears that he doesn't seem to be struggling from the looks of him playing. Here's a better close up video than the other one. He doesn't seem to be wincing or in pain from what I can see. He just sounds very, very, very out of practice. He does get a nice little moment at 00:48, when he slides down the neck. He managed to nail that one okay. To me, it appears that Keith hasn't touched a guitar in a long time and his fingers just can't keep up with what his brain is telling him to do.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: February 28, 2012 04:24

Honestman
Mathijs
...I am not waiting for a 2012 tour at all. But for the people and press waiting for this to happen, I think the last two public outings of Richards is just plain bad news.

Mathijs

+1thumbs up

Yeah unfortunately I have to agree as well..............

Whether Keith's ego get's that or not I don't know.

I can't see Jagger going on tour with what we've seen from Keith's playing. So maybe Jagger can, in the end, save Keith from some major embarassment.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: February 28, 2012 08:47

Yes, it is from "Charlie is my Darling".

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 28, 2012 09:38

Koen
Happy24
Try this, I think you'll like it better-

I hope you were sarcastic, because that's terrible smoking smiley

You eddited the two videos I posted out and just left the one that Carnaby posted and in your "quotation" it says it was my post. I just want to make it clear - it is not and I also prefer those two I posted. I agree, the guy has too much distortion in the sound (as someone mentioned), but I still love it. As for the video posted by Carnaby (which is here), nothing special, the guitar playing is not bad, but too simple and the singing is...uhhh...he should have stayed with guitar playing, he could have made a decent video

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-28 09:38 by Happy24.

Date: February 28, 2012 10:30

Justin
Yeah the NS tour was overall really fantastic but I sensed a dip on the second leg of the B2B tour...European/Asian shows.

When the NS tour came around I saw the onset of the "slacking off" and it came through again during the newer songs like "Some Girls" "Just My Imagination" and especially "Moonlight Mile." He whips through "Some Girls" with some beefy leads but absolutley no chords. This was the first time I noticed this behavior. "Moonlight Mile" is basically all Ronnie and Mick...no Keith. He does some twangy stuff here and there but basically stays in the background. I was incredibly dissapointed by that. He redeems himself on songs like "I Got The Blues" or "Get off My Cloud" but this was the beginning of me seeing the inconsistencies. He was always so consistent; playing at a level where you saw and heard a guy who knew these songs. Those holes in the playing got bigger and bigger as we moved on to the Licks and ABB tours.

Good observation. IMO, he tried to mask something by playing non-sensical leads on several songs. It's very evident on the Shepherd's Bush-gig as well.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 28, 2012 10:56

DandelionPowderman
Justin
Yeah the NS tour was overall really fantastic but I sensed a dip on the second leg of the B2B tour...European/Asian shows.

When the NS tour came around I saw the onset of the "slacking off" and it came through again during the newer songs like "Some Girls" "Just My Imagination" and especially "Moonlight Mile." He whips through "Some Girls" with some beefy leads but absolutley no chords. This was the first time I noticed this behavior. "Moonlight Mile" is basically all Ronnie and Mick...no Keith. He does some twangy stuff here and there but basically stays in the background. I was incredibly dissapointed by that. He redeems himself on songs like "I Got The Blues" or "Get off My Cloud" but this was the beginning of me seeing the inconsistencies. He was always so consistent; playing at a level where you saw and heard a guy who knew these songs. Those holes in the playing got bigger and bigger as we moved on to the Licks and ABB tours.

Good observation. IMO, he tried to mask something by playing non-sensical leads on several songs. It's very evident on the Shepherd's Bush-gig as well.

I seem to recall Keith playing both rythym and lead on this tour, partly because Ronnie spent most of the tour "waving". Listen to Paris 98 sdb which has Keith at front of the mix.....he still had it IMHO.

sc uk

sc uk

Date: February 28, 2012 11:19

straycatuk
DandelionPowderman
Justin

I seem to recall Keith playing both rythym and lead on this tour, partly because Ronnie spent most of the tour "waving". Listen to Paris 98 sdb which has Keith at front of the mix.....he still had it IMHO.

sc uk

sc uk

He still had it, but he really started losing his sense of where to play, imo.

Date: February 28, 2012 12:14

Justin

This shot means a lot thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

HMN

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 28, 2012 12:38

Two great guys!!!!!!!! The most influencial guitar players of all the time

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 28, 2012 12:51

Justin

Justin, who took that beautiful shot, please and thank you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-28 12:54 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 28, 2012 13:18

Mathijs
71Tele
Mathjis, I've played guitar for 35 years and am very familiar with both the Stones' and Berry's canon. As with many things which seem simple (such as Keith's own open-G playing), it is easy to grasp the surface technical part. But there are nuances in Berry's playing that even as a pro I still don't get. Part of it had to do with his mammoth-sized hands, but there are subleties to the double-stop stuff he does that not even Keith got accurately. Yes, any mediocre bar mitzvah and wedding band guitar player can play a reasonable "Johnny B Goode", but Berry's was a master and only a few have really "got" him.

We're both saying the same thing, I totally agree. It's what I meant with the intro of Little Queenie -first grade guitar school stuff, but impossible to replicate by mere mortals like us.

Check out the first two videos in this thread -the guy has all the technicalities spot on, but in the end he totally misses the mark with his sound and his dead-on timing.

My point with Richards with Costello is: it sounds like Keith hasn't touched a guitar in four years, and has lost his sense of rhythm completely. I personally don't mind, as I am not waiting for a 2012 tour at all. But for the people and press waiting for this to happen, I think the last two public outings of Richards is just plain bad news.

Mathijs

Mathijs Iam not waiting for the next tour either. Even if he hasnt rehearsed it seems like Elvis is almost instructing Keith the chord changes. And people,no, Keiths fills are not good, he has lost his timing and sense of when to play what. He's just throwing in some Berry licks randomly and awkardly. A disconnected Keith.

Date: February 28, 2012 13:21

Happy24
You eddited the two videos I posted out and just left the one that Carnaby posted and in your "quotation" it says it was my post.

Sorry about that, I fixed it in the original post.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 28, 2012 13:31

Great picture of Chuck and Keith indeed. It looks like Chuck is going to punch Keith ... again smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 28, 2012 13:38

Matthew J. Lee took that photo of Berry and Richards

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 28, 2012 14:00

Very great picture indeed

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 28, 2012 14:15

Justin

"If you're going to play it then play it right".

I wonder if Keith did the pre-bends this time.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 28, 2012 14:18

Redhotcarpet
Matthew J. Lee took that photo of Berry and Richards

thank you, from myself as well as the Department of Due Credit :E

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: February 28, 2012 14:56

if I need to rate Keith out of 10 then i wll give him 6 in this performance. If he practises then he will get his touch back

Date: February 28, 2012 15:00

I don't think he ever practices.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: February 28, 2012 15:01

[youtu.be]

This is a very fine performance on accoustic guitar. Keith at his best.

Posted by: robertfraser ()
Date: February 28, 2012 15:16

ok so it's not perfect...

but i live for that exciting reckless sound Keith makes that sends shivers up my spine and he does it at 1min 30 secs, showing he still has the fire in his belly.

Capton hasn't been able to come close to that exciting sound in many years dispite hitting every correct note in his clinical boring clean way.

3 weeks rehersal a pre show and Keith's ready to roll

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 28, 2012 15:32

pftw04
if I need to rate Keith out of 10 then i wll give him 6 in this performance. If he practises then he will get his touch back

In my opinion that is much more of an insult than the negative posts in this thread.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1870
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home