Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12
Keith and Chuck ...
Date: February 29, 2012 15:32

Thank god these two never performed 'Carol' as they 'd probably spend all night teaching each other the intro. Chuck's performance of 'Johnny B. Goode' was sad, to say the least! I just watched Costello and Keith's 'Promised Land' on youtube and that was sad, too!

Re: Keith and Chuck ...
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 29, 2012 15:41

thanks for starting another thread about it!!

Date: February 29, 2012 16:09

How do I delete this thread? Cheers!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 29, 2012 16:41

Gold Coast Slave Ship
Thank god these two never performed 'Carol' as they 'd probably spend all night teaching each other the intro.

Seems like only yesterday...

But you knew that

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 29, 2012 16:44

You kids must be very bored...

Re: Keith and Chuck Berry on same stage today
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 29, 2012 23:55

gwen
stonesdan60
Keith has admitted that in the last couple years, especially when he was doing his book he hardly touched a guitar.

Well, what worries me is that Keith was in the studio not so long ago, and jamming with the other Stones on my birtdhay in december...
Yeah right. He shouldn't be that rusty.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 1, 2012 01:28

gwen
jamming with the other Stones on my birtdhay in december...

Must have been a great party.
Happy belated birthday smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 02:11

jamesfdouglas
Justin
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Justin
I remember getting the SAL CD when it first came out and counted how many times Keith did that obnoxious "noodle" lick he likes to do and in "She Was Hot" I think he did it more than 10 times in just that song!

NOODLE LICK!

Justin, sometimes you have a way of writing that states the obvious in a painfully hilarious way! I about tossed my coffee with that one!

haha hope you didn't make a mess! It's funny, I cringe every time I hear that lick but the only time I feel it works (and works wonderfully) is in Keith's great solo on "Let Me Down Slow." That solo in general is one of Keith's best, in my opinion.

He started doing it on Stripped, then it started popping up everywhere.
Boo Boo BWEE Boo...

He's just picking a key and staying there. Why do his full hands have arthritis when he's only ever plyed a solo with two fingers??

Classic!! That little noodle lick is really grating when you've heard it soo many times!! He probably doesn't even know he's doing it, i.e. it's just muscle memory. I know that happens to me, I have a few ugly licks I always put in a solo without intending to, my fingers just seem to run away with it. Then listen back if it's recorded and go @#$%& how did that get in there

Re: Keith and Chuck Berry on same stage
Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 05:18

i agree dandelionpowderman

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 1, 2012 14:12

Date: March 1, 2012 14:31

Chuck is old and I believe there is something with the monitors. Doesnt he say he cant hear himself? Keith sounded like he's trying to hear what Costello is playing. I think Keith had a nice little rhythm going for a short while. Still, the man needs to find new licks and get that rhythm flowing again.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 1, 2012 18:17

Is this what Salman Rushdie described as "the best photo I've ever been in"?

From left to right: Tom Perrotta; Salman Rushdie; Elvis Costello; Peter Wolf; Shawn Colvin; Paul Simon; Leonard Cohen; Chuck Berry; Keith Richards; Bill Flanagan. (Photo by Rick Friedman/Kennedy Library Foundation)

Here's the accompaying article by Bill Janovitz (who is certainly star-struck in a big way, but it's a nice write-up)

[blogs.bostonmagazine.com]

Chuck Berry, Leonard Cohen Honored at JFK Library

A backstage report as the rock 'n' roll idols come to Boston.

On Sunday, in one fell swoop, I met a significant segment of my record collection: Keith Richards, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen, Chuck Berry, Elvis Costello, and others. The “others” are people like Salman Rushdie, Caroline Kennedy, Al Kooper, Shawn Colvin, and Peter Wolf. I mean, we get to see Wolf all the time around here. But while it is clear that he is a rock ‘n’ roll legend, when he is the low man on the totem pole, you know you’re in rarefied air. Can you imagine thinking, geeze, Paul Simon, would you get out of my way so I could go talk to Keith Richards?

I was fortunate to be able to attend the PEN New England Song Lyrics of Literary Excellence award presentation to Berry and Cohen (video of the whole thing here). My friend, novelist Tom Perrotta, was invited to present the opening remarks. At that point, it was only confirmed that Berry would attend and Elvis Costello would perform a song or two. Tom asked if I wanted to come along.

Hmm, lemme check my calendar.

Well, as the date drew closer, rumors had it that Cohen was now looking likely to attend and that none other than my main man, Keith Richards, was going to come as a tribute to his hero, Berry. Now we were entering real Bill Janovitz Fantasy Land. I did not allow myself to get too excited about it. But then Tom would check in with an update: Paul Simon will be presenting the award to Chuck Berry. Salman Rushdie will do the same for Cohen. Still, I would not get too excited. After all, I was to be a tag-along for this event. I figured it would be the high-rollers paying to be there would get access, if available, but not me. I was just hoping to catch a glimpse at these idols of mine.

Arriving, however, we were led up to the room where the artists and their entourages were to assemble. But none of them brought more than a few people along. It was so low-key. We were instantly introduced to Berry, who gave me one of those handshake bro-hugs. He is mostly deaf now, at 85. I said something. He said he had a bum ear, could not hear me, and drew me closer. I yelled in his good ear, “congratulations on the award, Mr. Berry!” He replied ,”I heard that!”

We chatted with author Peter Guralnick and his wife, Alexandra. So, as others came in — Costello; author and director of MTV Networks Bill Flanagan and his family — they came over to chat with Guralnick, whose books musicians love. We watched in amazement, though, as Cohen, Simon, and Richards all filtered in. Soon, people were organizing started to organize these jaw-dropping group shots. Finally, I got to chat with Richards for a few minutes, one on one. He had left the room after taking a few of the photos. Then he came back into the room, sidling up next to me with a drink, which he rested on a side table beside us. He was standing right next to me. I had thought about such a moment my whole life: What would I ever say to Keith Richards or Mick Jagger if I met them?

Leonard Cohen, Chuck Berry, Keith Richards, Caroline Kennedy, and Peter Wolf. (Photo by Bill Janovitz.)

I said, “Keith, I just want to say hello. I am a huge fan, like everyone else. I mean, what can you say to Keith Richards?” He smiled, shaking my hand, bowing his head down modestly, and replied in that raspy drawl, “Hey, man, I feel the same way about Chuck Berry.” He proceeded to discuss how sad a song “Memphis, Tennessee” is. “Hurry home drops in her eyes,” indeed. It was a gracious transition, moving me away from talking about him to talking about Berry. I was having an out-of-body experience discussing music with the guy who was on a poster on my wall when I was a kid. A guy whose records I started listening to when I was maybe 8 years old. A man who influenced my whole career. One of the giants of our era. It was everything I could do to keep from begging, Keith, please let me be in the Rolling Stones with you! I know all the chords!

It was a heart-warming, soul-stirring ceremony, after which the lucky few of us were able to retire to an after-party at one of those houses on the Public Garden on Arlington Street you walk buy thinking, “Wow, I wonder who lives there.” There, we were able to chat with Al Kooper, known as a rock ‘n’ roll Zelig, who for over a decade has lived here in Boston and has played huge parts (literally) on some of rock music’s most iconic songs, such as the opening organ riff on “Like a Rolling Stone” as well as organ, piano, and the french horn opening on “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.”

Well, maybe if you wait around to middle age, you can. Or at least, you get what you need, aw yeah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 18:19 by Green Lady.

Date: March 1, 2012 18:33

Green Lady

"I said, “Keith, I just want to say hello. I am a huge fan, like everyone else. I mean, what can you say to Keith Richards?” He smiled, shaking my hand, bowing his head down modestly, and replied in that raspy drawl, “Hey, man, I feel the same way about Chuck Berry.” He proceeded to discuss how sad a song “Memphis, Tennessee” is. “Hurry home drops in her eyes,” indeed. It was a gracious transition, moving me away from talking about him to talking about Berry."

CBII are you still on iorr? To honor your dad, here's the "official" Silver Beatles version of one of the best songs ever written in the history of mankind. A sad but uplifting and sort of eternal song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 18:35 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 1, 2012 18:42

donvis
I rather liked it!

ME TOO .... suspect we're in a minority here, but hey, do YOU care ? I don't.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 1, 2012 18:53

Green Lady
Is this what Salman Rushdie described as "the best photo I've ever been in"?

From left to right: Tom Perrotta; Salman Rushdie; Elvis Costello; Peter Wolf; Shawn Colvin; Paul Simon; Leonard Cohen; Chuck Berry; Keith Richards; Bill Flanagan. (Photo by Rick Friedman/Kennedy Library Foundation)

Here's the accompaying article by Bill Janovitz (who is certainly star-struck in a big way, but it's a nice write-up)

[blogs.bostonmagazine.com]

Chuck Berry, Leonard Cohen Honored at JFK Library

A backstage report as the rock 'n' roll idols come to Boston.

On Sunday, in one fell swoop, I met a significant segment of my record collection: Keith Richards, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen, Chuck Berry, Elvis Costello, and others. The “others” are people like Salman Rushdie, Caroline Kennedy, Al Kooper, Shawn Colvin, and Peter Wolf. I mean, we get to see Wolf all the time around here. But while it is clear that he is a rock ‘n’ roll legend, when he is the low man on the totem pole, you know you’re in rarefied air. Can you imagine thinking, geeze, Paul Simon, would you get out of my way so I could go talk to Keith Richards?

I was fortunate to be able to attend the PEN New England Song Lyrics of Literary Excellence award presentation to Berry and Cohen (video of the whole thing here). My friend, novelist Tom Perrotta, was invited to present the opening remarks. At that point, it was only confirmed that Berry would attend and Elvis Costello would perform a song or two. Tom asked if I wanted to come along.

Hmm, lemme check my calendar.

Well, as the date drew closer, rumors had it that Cohen was now looking likely to attend and that none other than my main man, Keith Richards, was going to come as a tribute to his hero, Berry. Now we were entering real Bill Janovitz Fantasy Land. I did not allow myself to get too excited about it. But then Tom would check in with an update: Paul Simon will be presenting the award to Chuck Berry. Salman Rushdie will do the same for Cohen. Still, I would not get too excited. After all, I was to be a tag-along for this event. I figured it would be the high-rollers paying to be there would get access, if available, but not me. I was just hoping to catch a glimpse at these idols of mine.

Arriving, however, we were led up to the room where the artists and their entourages were to assemble. But none of them brought more than a few people along. It was so low-key. We were instantly introduced to Berry, who gave me one of those handshake bro-hugs. He is mostly deaf now, at 85. I said something. He said he had a bum ear, could not hear me, and drew me closer. I yelled in his good ear, “congratulations on the award, Mr. Berry!” He replied ,”I heard that!”

We chatted with author Peter Guralnick and his wife, Alexandra. So, as others came in — Costello; author and director of MTV Networks Bill Flanagan and his family — they came over to chat with Guralnick, whose books musicians love. We watched in amazement, though, as Cohen, Simon, and Richards all filtered in. Soon, people were organizing started to organize these jaw-dropping group shots. Finally, I got to chat with Richards for a few minutes, one on one. He had left the room after taking a few of the photos. Then he came back into the room, sidling up next to me with a drink, which he rested on a side table beside us. He was standing right next to me. I had thought about such a moment my whole life: What would I ever say to Keith Richards or Mick Jagger if I met them?

Leonard Cohen, Chuck Berry, Keith Richards, Caroline Kennedy, and Peter Wolf. (Photo by Bill Janovitz.)

I said, “Keith, I just want to say hello. I am a huge fan, like everyone else. I mean, what can you say to Keith Richards?” He smiled, shaking my hand, bowing his head down modestly, and replied in that raspy drawl, “Hey, man, I feel the same way about Chuck Berry.” He proceeded to discuss how sad a song “Memphis, Tennessee” is. “Hurry home drops in her eyes,” indeed. It was a gracious transition, moving me away from talking about him to talking about Berry. I was having an out-of-body experience discussing music with the guy who was on a poster on my wall when I was a kid. A guy whose records I started listening to when I was maybe 8 years old. A man who influenced my whole career. One of the giants of our era. It was everything I could do to keep from begging, Keith, please let me be in the Rolling Stones with you! I know all the chords!

It was a heart-warming, soul-stirring ceremony, after which the lucky few of us were able to retire to an after-party at one of those houses on the Public Garden on Arlington Street you walk buy thinking, “Wow, I wonder who lives there.” There, we were able to chat with Al Kooper, known as a rock ‘n’ roll Zelig, who for over a decade has lived here in Boston and has played huge parts (literally) on some of rock music’s most iconic songs, such as the opening organ riff on “Like a Rolling Stone” as well as organ, piano, and the french horn opening on “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.”

Well, maybe if you wait around to middle age, you can. Or at least, you get what you need, aw yeah.
Thanks Green Lady. Nice story and great pics. So much history there.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:59

thank you kindly Green Lady!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 1, 2012 23:33

Thank you Green Lady

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 2, 2012 06:23

What a great way to end the day - reading this lovely article. Thank you kindly - y'all have a good night - you hear?
Sweet Dreams of the Stones...cool smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 2, 2012 14:09

I really respect Tom Perotta. Just think ... those two great men of literature...Perotta and Keith Richards. Undoubtedly dicussing their next books.

Thanks very much for these posts.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 2, 2012 21:39

Thank you Carlitos for posting this on your Dirtyrock Facebook page. This clip has enough passion and feeling to fill Madison Square Garden.

[www.youtube.com]#!

Keith and Costello and Keith & Cotton - videos
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: March 2, 2012 21:23

Re: Keith and Costello and Keith & Cotton - videos
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 2, 2012 21:26

The rehearsal video already in discussion on page 22 of the Hubert Submlin sticky...

[www.iorr.org]

Date: March 2, 2012 21:27

thank you thank you

Date: March 2, 2012 21:31

Thanks for posting the JFK Library video.

Seeing Chuck cheer for Keith doing Chuck licks...priceless.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 2, 2012 21:31

Nice!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: March 2, 2012 21:34

One more video, same song..enjoy...

Date: March 2, 2012 21:42

I hope BV considers merging some of these posts to their respective threads...it'd be good to have one conversation going in one streamline thread than several going on in various threads!

Ya know, I wonder if Keith was thrown off by Elvis' playing? Elvis played the rhythm by making most of the chords into 7s...a little funkier bluesy style. Perfect if he were going to sing it solo..not exactly great for another guitar on an impromptu performance. Just a thought...

Plus, it should be noted that Keith was borrowing Elvis' guitar--and it seems his amp was set for playing rhythm not solos and leads. So, it's really not a surprise that Keith's leads come off like duds. Treble was painfully turned all the way down, all the lows were turned up and Keith may have stuck with the upper/rhtythm switch on the guitar never switching to lead. I'm not saying Keith is off the hook, but sometimes a player will play awful when he hears that the guitar he's playing sounds awful.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 21:46 by Justin.

Date: March 2, 2012 21:47

Justin
Seeing Chuck cheer for Keith doing Chuck licks...priceless.

yeah that is sweet :E
and it's so fine to see Keith having fun up there (once he comes to terms with that overlong strap! eye popping smiley)

Date: March 2, 2012 22:05

Thank you BV!

I appreciate your attentiveness on merging threads...you're great about that. Another music board I'm on--the moderators don't do a good job of cleaning up the board and there's always duplicate threads posted..very frustrating!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 2, 2012 22:06

Justin
I hope BV considers merging some of these posts to their respective threads...it'd be good to have one conversation going in one streamline thread than several going on in various threads!

Ya know, I wonder if Keith was thrown off by Elvis' playing? Elvis played the rhythm by making most of the chords into 7s...a little funkier bluesy style. Perfect if he were going to sing it solo..not exactly great for another guitar on an impromptu performance. Just a thought...

Plus, it should be noted that Keith was borrowing Elvis' guitar--and it seems his amp was set for playing rhythm not solos and leads. So, it's really not a surprise that Keith's leads come off like duds. Treble was painfully turned all the way down, all the lows were turned up and Keith may have stuck with the upper/rhtythm switch on the guitar never switching to lead. I'm not saying Keith is off the hook, but sometimes a player will play awful when he hears that the guitar he's playing sounds awful.

Elvis's Super 400 had the guitar strap tied to the machine head. Both Keith and Chuck had a problem with it moving around on them. Keith good-naturedly told EC after that such a practice was "banned by order of the Geneva Convention".

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home