Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12
Re: Keith and Chuck Berry on same stage today
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 27, 2012 08:42

At least he seems to be attempting to knock some rust off.smiling smiley

Go Keith !

sc uk

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: February 27, 2012 08:43

Did he know he'd be playing?

Since that doesn't look like one of his guitars, I'm guessing he wasn't expecting to play for sure, but with that said, and kind of like the book tour where he got ambushed by a rogue reporter in Europe, who's running the point for Keith?

When my Dad was nearing 70, I made sure I had his back. Shouldn't someone have at least made sure he had a guitar that was tuned and he was comfortable with if there was even a remote possibility he would play?

If Elvis planned to play, seems like KEITH RICHARDS might strap on since he was on the guest list, so maybe some better planning might be a good idea, and I'm guessing that's not Keith's job? When he does his first solo it looks like he's trying to pose like Jimmy Page with his guitar down by his knees, but it's tough to really see as Nick is apparently better at getting autographs than shooting video- hope someone else has better footage.

Guessing Keith hasn't played this song much, and with a guitar that ain't his and it's obviously out of tune for this song, he sounds ok, obviously could be better, but given everything going on, I think people being critical are making a judgment when they don't have all the facts.

My money's on Keith to deliver when it counts.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 27, 2012 08:46

That was rather cool. This time he really played guitar. You can even recognize his style. Maybe a bit rusty but that Keith Richards playing for sure.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 27, 2012 08:52

Keith seems to have started a tour...

Damn rough, but way better than I expected. First of all, this came out of blue, and it was Keith the guitarist present there - not a idiosyncratic homemade old blues singer figure he was two nights ago, but the guy who went back there from he exactly started the whole thing, and what he was originally famous for. Secondly, he actually played the instrument and did reletively speaking ok - as we surely know he knows that stuff but he was still able to deliver with his own personal style - the timing, even solo, etc. Still rusty sure, but on a right track, and not at all so hopeless than the worst scenario expectations were.

All in all, Keith has seemed to start his journey in public performances by going back to the beginning: blues and Berry. Pretty basic, but nothing wrong with that; I wonder where it is going to lead...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 08:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 27, 2012 09:10

sweet! just one voice + one guitar and they rocked it
and Keith brought his beautiful ES-350 er ... no he didn't! pass the caffeine and full speed ahead :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 10:04 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 27, 2012 09:27

Are we sure, with sssoul? I think that was Costello's guitar as we see Costello taking off to give to Keith...

.....which he lent over to Chuck earlier when he jumped up on stage. I think we would've expected Keith to bring his usual Gibson that he used just the other night. Still great to see Chuck use this old Gibson much like he did during his early days.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 27, 2012 09:31

I also quite liked it. I think that the problem is that the electric giutar didn't go along very well with the accoustic. Or maybe just a bad sound mix. If there was an electric rythm guitar, bass and drums, it migt sound absolutely fine. Elvis did a gret job and Keith's playing is deffinitely not bad (okay, not one of his best either, but as said, this was really out of the blue), just didn't blend that well. It is true, that with all those other instruments it would be completely different and this stripped-down version had its magic and was appropriate for the occasion. Okay, I am looking forward to the next piece...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 27, 2012 09:42

This just really, really hurts.

Mathijs

Date: February 27, 2012 10:12

Justin
Are we sure, with sssoul? I think that was Costello's guitar as we see Costello taking off to give to Keith...

right, and it's a Super 400 anyway isn't it - pass the caffeine and don't mind me :E

Happy24
Okay, I am looking forward to the next piece...

yeah bring it on - and meanwhile thank you Keith & Elvis! that was fun

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 27, 2012 10:28

That's not so great and Keith is occasionally in the wrong key as well.

I know it wasn't his guitar and it was probably sprung on him and they didn't rehearse.

Well he had a go anyway.

He can still do bends.

This reminds me of a Morcambe and Wise sketch with Andre Preview.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: February 27, 2012 10:39

There is a bit of a "When Jams Go Wrong" thing about it and Keith goes into a few unrelated keys for a short bit but if Keith can still bend strings and play Chuck Berry licks then where is the problem.

The only problem with Keith is his arthritis and that's not stopping him doing string bends or chords, so he can still play.

String bends require finger and hand strength and Keith is doing string bends in the video.

Keith might not be practicing much at the moment, who knows.

From some of the comments I read at IORR, you would think Keith can't play at all which is not true judging by this video.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 10:43 by howled.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 27, 2012 10:50

howled
There is a bit of a "When Jams Go Wrong" thing about it and Keith goes into a few unrelated keys for a short bit but if Keith can still bend strings and play Chuck Berry licks then where is the problem.

The only problem with Keith is his arthritis and that's not stopping him doing string bends or chords, so he can still play.

From some of the comments I read at IORR, you would think Keith can't play at all which is not true judging by this video.

What worries me though is that to play in the Chuck Berry style is really not rocket science. There's a dozen or so standard licks, which can be played in any key. These licks are really not difficult at all -brilliant, but not difficult. Once you've learned how to play these licks, something Richards did in the very early 60's and played ever since, it's just like swimming or riding a bicycle: you well always be able to play them, even when you didn't touch a guitar for 5 years. Sure it will be less fluid then, but that actually is part of the attraction of Chuck Berry styled playing.

I have said it before in a Shine a Light thread –what worries me is that his mind appears to be the problem. Ever since his brain attacks his mind seems to work slower than his fingers. On Shine a Light you can see him thinking: ‘I know this song, I’ve played it a million times, here we go to a C chord’, but at that moment the band has moved to a D chord already.

Mathijs

Date: February 27, 2012 10:58

I understand what you mean, but he is 68.

Keith has never been a great technician anyway but he has got a certain feel.

There is a mistake in the original Satisfaction riff from what I can remember.

I'd be more concerned if his feel was starting to go, rather than some wrong notes and I think he's still got his feel in a not too bad way in this video, but some of the note choices are not that great.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: February 27, 2012 10:58

Well I enjoyed that very much,one of my favourite Chuck Berry songs played by one of my favourite guitar players and sung by another one of my favourite artists.
These guys aren't getting any younger,so stop bitching about how well Keith played,he played that should be enough for you .
I have arthritis in my legs and at times it can be excruciatingly painful,so for a guitar player to have it in his fingers must be very debilitating.
He plays when he can,give the guy a break,stop being so selfish and expecting tours and albums,we have access to thousands of tracks officially and not.
Enjoy what you have and be thankful you were around at the same time .

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 27, 2012 11:10

Short news-report-type audio and video here including a few seconds of Promised Land:

[boston.cbslocal.com]

By the way, another of these news reports describes Keith as being "coaxed out of the crowd" by Elvis Costello to perform. For an ad-lib on a borrowed guitar that was very enjoyable - and I liked it better than Elvis Costello's take on No Particular Place To Go:

According to the original blog post, we are promised both proper video and even an Itunes download in due course - watch this space:

[www.jfklibrary.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 11:17 by Green Lady.

Date: February 27, 2012 11:18

thank you Green Lady! "To close the show, Costello coaxed Richards out of the audience
to play a duet of Berry’s 'Promised Land', bringing the crowd to its feet once again." thanks & praises!

adotulipson
be thankful you are around at the same time

yeah we are blessed! and can even appreciate it :E

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 27, 2012 11:19

chelskeith
When my Dad was nearing 70, I made sure I had his back.

Interesting. Do we know your dad ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 27, 2012 11:22

Mathijs
Chuck Berry style is really not rocket science.Mathijs

This guy has nailed it:

Can it get any better? He has other Berry covers and also some great covers of The Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 11:29 by Happy24.

Date: February 27, 2012 11:32

I think Keith did a pretty good singing job at the Hubert Sumlin thing and Keith just left the guitar mostly up to Clapton.

Now we have Keith doing an unplanned jam with Costello and Keith seems to be able to play ok.

I think the people that are watching Keith and Micks every move and spreading rumours about can Keith still play and can Mick still sing are people who want to see signs of a tour.

If the Stones want to do something in the future then it's up to them and no one else.

They are not getting any younger and their tour performances if they do one, won't be anything like when they were 30.

The Stones don't have to do anything or prove anything to anyone.

Date: February 27, 2012 11:32

Keith is on his way here. A few more gigs + some rehearsing and he'll be ready.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 27, 2012 11:33

Oh my, that was hilariously lousy. If it had been an unknown guitarist he´d been covered with eggs within ten seconds. He even keeps playing those clumsy licks over the verses to be shure that no one misses them. This "performance" should end the speculations of an upcoming tour...

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 27, 2012 11:47

Mathijs
This just really, really hurts.

Mathijs

Agree, this sounded a little bit better than the Hubert Sumlin tribute, but still there is no way that this man can do a full 2 hour set with Stones well enough for a tour and he doesn´t need to either.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 27, 2012 13:30

But maybe the Keef bashers should pick up a guitar and show us how it´s done.
I´d be the first one to bash them.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 27, 2012 13:35

Mathijs
howled

What worries me though is that to play in the Chuck Berry style is really not rocket science. There's a dozen or so standard licks, which can be played in any key. These licks are really not difficult at all -brilliant, but not difficult. Once you've learned how to play these licks, something Richards did in the very early 60's and played ever since, it's just like swimming or riding a bicycle: you well always be able to play them, even when you didn't touch a guitar for 5 years. Sure it will be less fluid then, but that actually is part of the attraction of Chuck Berry styled playing.

I have said it before in a Shine a Light thread –what worries me is that his mind appears to be the problem. Ever since his brain attacks his mind seems to work slower than his fingers. On Shine a Light you can see him thinking: ‘I know this song, I’ve played it a million times, here we go to a C chord’, but at that moment the band has moved to a D chord already.

Mathijs

Mathijs - if you can read other peoples minds and you can read what they think - with your doctor skills in brain activity - then go ahead and guess what I'm thinkin about your bullshit analysis of Keith ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 13:44 by seitan.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 27, 2012 14:30

seitan

But maybe the Keef bashers should pick up a guitar and show us how it´s done.
I´d be the first one to bash them.

C'mon, seitan. You should relax a bit. People are here giving their opinions - some very strong, some very gentle - of Keith's performance. That's their and everyone's right. But you came here to talk about "bashing", and started bashing these people who are sharing their opinions. Like the cliche says, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of kitchen.tongue sticking out smiley Why don't you just give your opinion about Keith's performance, and stop wasting your energy on bashing fellow contributors. The focus is on Keith not on IORR writers.

Please, don't take this an offense. This is a friendly note, and I really like your take on things; you have fresh, substantive things to say. But I've seen so many heated dicussions with nasty results based on bashing the 'wrong' opinions of other people (and I'm not innocent for that either) during the years here at IORR. That aggression is not needed, and I hope the discussion could remain civil no matter how different the views we might be. But nothing wrong to have some passion here and then...winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 14:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 27, 2012 14:45

Good comment Doxa. Some people on this board would praise Keith`s playing even if he forgot to string the guitar...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 27, 2012 14:50

Good post Doxa.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: February 27, 2012 14:51

The failed hair implants have really taken their toll............

Kinda sad........

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 27, 2012 14:52

Svartmer
Good comment Doxa. Some people on this board would praise Keith`s playing even if he forgot to string the guitar...

thumbs up

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 27, 2012 15:37

Mathijs[/quote]

Maybe you saw a different SAL than I did, not to mention the audio CD for reference. I think you're reading things into what Keith is thinking and being behind the song. He looks very assured to me. Take perhaps the most Chuck Berry-style song in the set, She Was Hot. Keith is spot on and nails it from start to finish. There's no hesitation with chord changes and his Berry-inspired fills and solos are great. I think Keith's work throughout the film is top notch, especially his chord work - even if his solos are leaner than in younger years. When he's sticking to the groove, he's playing exactly what fits. My only complaint is he's lower in the mix than I'd like when he's not soloing. Play it loud through headphones. His work on JJF, All Down the Line, Shattered is superb. Funky, in the groove, yet understated. Perhaps some people mistake subtlety and understatement for not playing well. Charlie Watts doesn't go nuts like Keith Moon. I guess he's playing poorly and always has.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home