Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 29
Re: Stones to jam in studio this month
Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: December 16, 2011 11:22

I am thinking that maybe this jam session was only done for being used in the 50th anniversary documentary to be released next year.
And why not a new song recorded live in this studio for this DVD project ?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 16, 2011 14:39

Massimo68
I am thinking that maybe this jam session was only done for being used in the 50th anniversary documentary to be released next year.
Then just for the posing - typical Keith. Not really for playing, but acting - good pictures / not the music that matters anymore....

Date: December 16, 2011 14:57

mtaylor
Massimo68
Then just for the posing - typical Keith. Not really for playing, but acting - good pictures / not the music that matters anymore....

Yeah, how typical. That's why the photos and articles are everywhere already, right? I'm sure Blondie was playing behind a curtain while Keith mimed.

Reality check on this thread should be it was nothing more than an informal jam and maybe a way to gauge the shape the band is in for possible activity next year. Bands that don't work in four years (especially those past retirement age ) could use a little workout. Now we've got conspiracy theorists who don't want to believe it happened to cynics who think it was all for show. You can lead an IORRian to water, but you can't make him drink.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 16, 2011 15:07

WilliamPatrickMaynard
mtaylor
Massimo68

Yeah, how typical. That's why the photos and articles are everywhere already, right? I'm sure Blondie was playing behind a curtain while Keith mimed.

Reality check on this thread should be it was nothing more than an informal jam and maybe a way to gauge the shape the band is in for possible activity next year. Bands that don't work in four years (especially those past retirement age ) could use a little workout. Now we've got conspiracy theorists who don't want to believe it happened to cynics who think it was all for show. You can lead an IORRian to water, but you can't make him drink.
Remember the photos from Keith's homepage where he is in the studio with a guitar....

It is the show-off and not the playing - the same with the cigarette, the laugh. It is the act, the person, not the music......

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 16, 2011 15:08

People are dismissing music that they havent heard (and which no one knows has been filmed for sure - although it probably wasnt) as mere 'posing'?

And imagine letting someone photograph you while you play a guitar in a studio!

I've heard it all now.

How is he meant to regain his chops if he doesnt play?

Damned if they do, damned if they dont..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-16 15:11 by Gazza.

Date: December 16, 2011 15:40

mtaylor

It is the show-off and not the playing - the same with the cigarette, the laugh. It is the act, the person, not the music......

I remember the photo. The guy was working on a solo album. How is he showing off? Would he not be showing off if they got a picture of him grimacing with no cigarette in sight? You do know that other musicians have played on his solo sessions this year, right? It's not a publicity stunt.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: December 16, 2011 15:44

Gazza
Sam Spade
Gazza
mailexile67
The Universal Five years deal with UMG is only for Deluxe editions and Re-Releases and not for album of new material?!

Correct. While (as I understand it) its hoped they'll make new material, theyre not contractually bound to do so.

As long as they aren't contractually bound for an album of new material, then there is no incentive to do work on a completely new album, right?

Maybe they just planned a bunch of reissues with outtakes leading up to their 50th in case they weren't able to do another tour due to health reasons. Kinda like hedging a bet on themselves.

To a point, although I THINK the 'Exile with extras' idea was UMG's (the rest of the post-1970 albums were remastered and reissued in 2009) and the success of it probably inspired the band to see that there was some mileage in these kind of projects.

Their past is their future, basically. They've had little motivation to make new music in the last 15 years and thats only going to diminish as time goes on and they get older and record sales plummet in general.

I'm not so sure it had anything to do with a tour though. The simple fact is that once the EMI contract expired, their albums were going to be deleted (and they sunsequently were) so a new deal was required with SOME company in order to have them in the shops again. UMG (quite naturally) wanted some return on their investment as reissuing a dozen or so albums for the fourth or fifth time with no extras isnt exactly a smart commercial move.

I agree, the Exile with Extras forced them (well at least Jagger) to go back to the vault and look for decent outtakes. UMG needed a WOW factor to inspire sales rather than just a remaster. As you stated a return on investment.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: December 16, 2011 16:45

StonesTod
Gazza
marquess
Hello!

Do you know where they were jamming Abbey Road Studios?,...?

In a rehearsal studio in Chelsea.

They wouldnt be using an EMI recording studio for a jam session.

if y'all wanna know what the stones are doing, just follow gazza around...
I have many times and always end up in a Licenced Premises.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 16, 2011 21:24

LOL, belld smileys with beer

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 16, 2011 22:23

Gazza
Damned if they do, damned if they dont..

The tragic dilemma of being a Rolling Stone smiling smiley
Luckily they don't care very much themselves

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 16, 2011 22:27

belld
Licenced Premises.

Is that a euphemism for a "place to get legally drunk" which of course is a euphemism for a "bar" aka a "pub" ???
If so then Cheers smileys with beer

-------------------

Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: December 16, 2011 23:58

All we no for sure is Ronnie & Mick Taylor have been in London also Keiths wife has beeen in London with Ronnies Ex.
Thats about all for sure. The London press has not pictured Keith.Mick.Charlie or Bill in London.
Thats why I think if a jam has been it was maybe at Redlands Keiths place put of the way of me you & the press,Just maybe that could have happened NO PRESSURE.

Date: December 17, 2011 01:01

belld
StonesTod
Gazza
marquess
Hello!

Do you know where they were jamming Abbey Road Studios?,...?

In a rehearsal studio in Chelsea.

They wouldnt be using an EMI recording studio for a jam session.

if y'all wanna know what the stones are doing, just follow gazza around...
I have many times and always end up in a Licenced Premises.

Funny that!

Date: December 17, 2011 01:02

Highwire.uk
All we no for sure is Ronnie & Mick Taylor have been in London

Not correct,

Highwire.uk
also Keiths wife has beeen in London with Ronnies Ex.
Thats about all for sure. The London press has not pictured Keith.Mick.Charlie or Bill in London.
Thats why I think if a jam has been it was maybe at Redlands Keiths place put of the way of me you & the press,Just maybe that could have happened NO PRESSURE.

Mick Taylor did not jam with the Stones. And it did not take place at Redlands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-17 01:03 by Gazza.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 17, 2011 01:09

Highwire.uk
All we no for sure is Ronnie & Mick Taylor have been in London also Keiths wife has beeen in London with Ronnies Ex.

What do you mean? We know the jam happened in London, at a rehearsal studio in Chelsea.

Posted by: MickyG ()
Date: December 17, 2011 01:09

So sad to hear Mick T was not involved, I so wanted him to be. Maybe he never will now?

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 01:18

MickyG
So sad to hear Mick T was not involved, I so wanted him to be. Maybe he never will now?

You gotta remember that Keith orchestrated this get-together, not Jagger. I think it's always been Jagger that got Taylor involved in more recent stones-related projects. Do we even know if Jagger was at the jam session?

Date: December 17, 2011 01:28

achilles77
MickyG

You gotta remember that Keith orchestrated this get-together, not Jagger. I think it's always been Jagger that got Taylor involved in more recent stones-related projects. Do we even know if Jagger was at the jam session?

I appreciate that, I suppose it is hard for us mere mortals to get our head around it all. I recently attended a company reunion where everyone came together, old work mates and adversaries, talked about the old times, good and bad and we all had a great time. I just don't understand why these guys cannot do it?

Date: December 17, 2011 01:33

achilles77
MickyG

Yes. he was.

Date: December 17, 2011 01:35

MickyG

There's still time, I suppose, if both parties want it to happen. I guess it just didn't work out this time.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 01:40

Gazza
achilles77
MickyG

Yes. he was.

Interesting. I still think it's too early to tell what's gonna happen regarding future plans. I still believe Mick Taylor will be a part of it.
We'll see.

Thank you.

Date: December 17, 2011 01:43

Thanks Gazza, hope still lives on. All these guys have given me so much pleasure over the years, I just hope for one last hurrah with all involved.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 17, 2011 02:00

Very promising if Jagger was there. Do we know if Bill attended ?

sc uk

Date: December 17, 2011 02:05

Yep.

Date: December 17, 2011 02:28

Thanks Gazza. That's enough excitement for one day !

sc uk

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 17, 2011 11:08

Aah, great to hear the Jagger involvement! Things always sound more 'serious' when Jagger is present. He seems to be a guy who does not a thing for nothing, or how to say it. Yep yep, no hasty conclusions or anything but that sounds fine. Good to have the guys together in one place and the instruments in their hands. Thta's what they, in the end, are best. To be the fly on the wall... And Bill was there too?

For some reason this reminds the scene of SRIPPED sessions, and the guys joking of the "station" in "Love In Vain"... there is so much history, almost ancient history there; full of all kinds of memories one can only guess. 50 years is a damn long time... Like Gazza mentioned in one of his posts that "their future is their past", and they openly have come to terms with it in recent years. I feel very positive about the 50th Anniversary thing. And it has already started.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-17 11:11 by Doxa.

Date: December 17, 2011 11:25

And honestly I think of the function of the sessions is not that of really getting the chops together but that of mental and social getting together. To really rehearse, like Bill recently said, would take weeks for The Stones. They are nowadays in the level that is basically a social level - all the egos involved etc. - that needs to taken care of. An old-time jam, symbolic in many sense, is the best 'excuse' for that, with or without any big plans in mind. If this all is Keith's brain child, all my respects to him. Keith most probably knows best the 'mental' chemistry of the band, and especially his own huge contribution (both in positive and negative aspects) to that. Sounds like responsible behavior.. what, our Keith?grinning smiley

thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-17 11:26 by Doxa.

Date: December 17, 2011 13:33

Doxa
responsible behavior

Now you are insulting Keith smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: December 17, 2011 13:54

Would love to see just 1 picture of the 5 of them. Saw Bill a month ago and never considered that he would be back with his old band a couple of weeks later !

sc uk

Date: December 17, 2011 15:27

straycatuk
Would love to see just 1 picture of the 5 of them. Saw Bill a month ago and never considered that he would be back with his old band a couple of weeks later !

sc uk

I think he neither.

- Doxa

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2209
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home