Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 29
Re: Stones to jam in studio this month
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 14, 2011 17:31

Gazza
For what? Easter? You may have something there!

I was being facetious, expanding on your "patience, grasshopper" theme. But usually the way these things have gone in the past is there's a meeting before Christmas ,then everyone goes on vacation, then sometime in February plans slowly start to roll out for the year. Then announcements come in the spring for summer/fall events. I do know some folks at Universal and they were talking about 50th anniversary stuff as soon as the last tour ended.
I can't really see a big tour but I'm sure the idea is to have some performances so that they could technically say they were active for 50 years. My guess is that a Taylor/Wyman guest spot would only happen at a London show and not anywhere else.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 14, 2011 17:55

In your opinion, there'll be a new studio album nexy year?!I think that this old mates "jam sessions"could be a good start for future plans...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 14, 2011 18:10

Keith really gets it together, doesn't he?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 14, 2011 18:47

andrewt
Gazza

I was being facetious, expanding on your "patience, grasshopper" theme. But usually the way these things have gone in the past is there's a meeting before Christmas ,then everyone goes on vacation, then sometime in February plans slowly start to roll out for the year. Then announcements come in the spring for summer/fall events. I do know some folks at Universal and they were talking about 50th anniversary stuff as soon as the last tour ended.
I can't really see a big tour but I'm sure the idea is to have some performances so that they could technically say they were active for 50 years. My guess is that a Taylor/Wyman guest spot would only happen at a London show and not anywhere else.

My own guess - and its only a guess as I dont know any specific details re: a 2012 tour - is that your summary is probably a pretty good one. There IS an intention to tour - I'm personally not convinced that it'll be of the length that we've become used to in recent decades, however.

Date: December 14, 2011 18:57

Gazza
andrewt
Gazza

My own guess - and its only a guess as I dont know any specific details re: a 2012 tour - is that your summary is probably a pretty good one. There IS an intention to tour - I'm personally not convinced that it'll be of the length that we've become used to in recent decades, however.

Yeah, who knows? It's all up in th air, but there will be something in London at least I'd imagine. I'll probably end up watching it on pay per view. If there's only a handful of shows in certain cities it will probably be out of my price range.

Date: December 14, 2011 19:11

andrewt
I do know some folks at Universal and they were talking about 50th anniversary stuff as soon as the last tour ended.

That's rather odd considering when the last tour ended they were with EMI. Are you sure you don't mean when SHINE A LIGHT was released?

Date: December 14, 2011 21:53

WilliamPatrickMaynard
andrewt
I do know some folks at Universal and they were talking about 50th anniversary stuff as soon as the last tour ended.

That's rather odd considering when the last tour ended they were with EMI. Are you sure you don't mean when SHINE A LIGHT was released?

I thought they were already signed to Universal at that time, but I could be off a bit. Perhaps it was closer to the movie. Point being, they were talking about 2012 in 2007. It seemed so far away at the time it sounded ridiculous but here we are with 2012 right around the corner and the boys are still upright. That in itself is bloody marvellous.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: December 14, 2011 23:09

... kinda like The Byrds when they "toured" to protect their right to the name ...

Date: December 15, 2011 00:52

andrewt
WilliamPatrickMaynard
andrewt

I thought they were already signed to Universal at that time, but I could be off a bit. Perhaps it was closer to the movie. Point being, they were talking about 2012 in 2007. It seemed so far away at the time it sounded ridiculous but here we are with 2012 right around the corner and the boys are still upright. That in itself is bloody marvellous.

The 'Shine a Light' CD was a one-off release with UMG.

They later signed a five year deal with the company, which was finalised in July 2008.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: December 15, 2011 00:57

Hi guys!

Is there any reliable information if they, really are in studio, jamming, ...?

or so far the only "confirmation" was Keith´s announcement in the media?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 15, 2011 01:05

The Universal Five years deal with UMG is only for Deluxe editions and Re-Releases and not for album of new material?!

Date: December 15, 2011 01:21

marquess
Hi guys!

Is there any reliable information if they, really are in studio, jamming, ...?

or so far the only "confirmation" was Keith´s announcement in the media?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

As said earlier, it happened last week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-15 01:23 by Gazza.

Date: December 15, 2011 01:23

mailexile67
The Universal Five years deal with UMG is only for Deluxe editions and Re-Releases and not for album of new material?!

Correct. While (as I understand it) its hoped they'll make new material, theyre not contractually bound to do so.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: December 15, 2011 04:32

Gazza
stonescrow
Doxa
stonescrow
33,000 views over a jam session? Ya think there might be just a little interest in the Stones working again?

Actully I don't think that is such a huge surprise in a Rolling Stones fan site.

- Doxa

Passion unmatched by any fans in the world.

Based on what research?

Independent studies.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: December 15, 2011 11:28

This Jam Session is turning out to be possibly the biggest secret since the Jagger/Taylor romance. HaHa.

No pictures, no details, nothing, and its been a week.

What's the over and under on how many page views this hits until someone spills the beans...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 15, 2011 14:49

Found the pictures - this seems to be what Keith was talking about yawning smiley))

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: December 15, 2011 15:01

chelskeith
This Jam Session is turning out to be possibly the biggest secret since the Jagger/Taylor romance. HaHa.

No pictures, no details, nothing, and its been a week.

What's the over and under on how many page views this hits until someone spills the beans...

"Only" pictures of Patti and Jo in London,last week :
[www.cozycot.com]

and

Jade Jagger, Patti Hansen and Jo Wood at the Ivy restaurant :

[www.rexfeatures.com]

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 15, 2011 15:43

mickscarey
They have NEVER split up!

Hello Everyone..
Id say they split up in 1982 and were replaced by strange replicants of themselves which were ever so slightly wrong...
However these machines and their programmers required such vast sums of money to keep their project active that ticket prices went up to £150 a pop.
The real Rolling Stones are gone! Please dont drag their name thru the dirt for what will be the biggest Rip off/Cash-in the music business has ever seen.
This is my first post so sorry to be so negative..but it's over, finished.
Cherish the past, the Brussels release, yes, but another tour? No Thanks.

Date: December 15, 2011 15:56

chelskeith

Don't think there's much to spill other than what's already been said. There was an informal jam last week by a bunch of old bandmates who haven't played together in years. Unless there's a tour announcement or rehearsals or recording sessions, there isn't much to say.

Date: December 15, 2011 15:59

mickscarey
They have NEVER split up!

By that logic, The Kinks have NEVER split up since they never announced it offically. The fact that they haven't worked together since 1996 must not mean anything, right?

The Stones haven't done their "job" since August 2007. If you stopped going to work over four years ago, I doubt anyone would consider you still employed. Like the Stones, you would be semi-retired at best.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 15, 2011 16:14

vertigojoe
Id say they split up in 1982
The real Rolling Stones are gone
it's over, finished
another tour? No Thanks.

Hey Joe ...

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: December 15, 2011 16:56

Gazza
mailexile67

Correct. While (as I understand it) its hoped they'll make new material, theyre not contractually bound to do so.

As long as they aren't contractually bound for an album of new material, then there is no incentive to do work on a completely new album, right?

Maybe they just planned a bunch of reissues with outtakes leading up to their 50th in case they weren't able to do another tour due to health reasons. Kinda like hedging a bet on themselves.

Date: December 15, 2011 17:24

Gazza
andrewt
WilliamPatrickMaynard
andrewt

The 'Shine a Light' CD was a one-off release with UMG.

They later signed a five year deal with the company, which was finalised in July 2008.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't up on the exact dates.

Date: December 15, 2011 17:51

Sam Spade
Gazza
mailexile67

As long as they aren't contractually bound for an album of new material, then there is no incentive to do work on a completely new album, right?

Maybe they just planned a bunch of reissues with outtakes leading up to their 50th in case they weren't able to do another tour due to health reasons. Kinda like hedging a bet on themselves.

To a point, although I THINK the 'Exile with extras' idea was UMG's (the rest of the post-1970 albums were remastered and reissued in 2009) and the success of it probably inspired the band to see that there was some mileage in these kind of projects.

Their past is their future, basically. They've had little motivation to make new music in the last 15 years and thats only going to diminish as time goes on and they get older and record sales plummet in general.

I'm not so sure it had anything to do with a tour though. The simple fact is that once the EMI contract expired, their albums were going to be deleted (and they sunsequently were) so a new deal was required with SOME company in order to have them in the shops again. UMG (quite naturally) wanted some return on their investment as reissuing a dozen or so albums for the fourth or fifth time with no extras isnt exactly a smart commercial move.

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: December 15, 2011 19:05

OK, so I hear what you are all saying but think about this for a moment.

Take a deep breath, relax and think about this:

For the first time in several years THE ROLLING STONES were in the same room together and played music.

Now, forget about speculating on the prospect of tours for another moment, the possible songs in the vault and think about it this again:

THE ROLLING STONES played music together.

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled day of anxiety and worry about Mick's personality, Keith's health, Bill's fear of flying, Ronnie's sobriety and Charlie's desire to stay at home but need to play the drums.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:28

Hello!

Do you know where they were jamming Abbey Road Studios?,...?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 15, 2011 21:45

Sam Spade
Maybe

That's the key word. You got it

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 16, 2011 00:16

marquess
Hello!

In a rehearsal studio in Chelsea.

They wouldnt be using an EMI recording studio for a jam session.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 16, 2011 01:57

Gazza
marquess
Hello!

In a rehearsal studio in Chelsea.

They wouldnt be using an EMI recording studio for a jam session.

if y'all wanna know what the stones are doing, just follow gazza around...

Date: December 16, 2011 02:42

Don't let StonesTod fool you. He's just trying to distract attention from himself.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2238
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home