Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 63
Re: Super Heavy with Mick Jagger
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 7, 2011 11:49

proudmary
Mick Jagger's SuperHeavy should not be written off just yet

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

From the article:
This, frankly, is a little unfair. A devil’s advocate might contest that Richards’s inflexibility, and refusal to try different things, has held the Stones back in their comfort zone, and prevented them from moving with the times.
Exactly. thumbs up

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: July 7, 2011 12:47

mtaylor
proudmary

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

From the article:
This, frankly, is a little unfair. A devil’s advocate might contest that Richards’s inflexibility, and refusal to try different things, has held the Stones back in their comfort zone, and prevented them from moving with the times.
Exactly. thumbs up

Great quote - and article.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 7, 2011 15:26

[www.antimusic.com]
...."Joss can sing with the ferocity of a lioness and dynamically switch to the most delicate whisper in the same phrase," says Stewart. "She is always honest and full of real emotion. It is an honor to work alongside a true artist who understands so much at such a young age."

Stone has also recently made headlines as a part of SuperHeavy with Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart, Damian Marley and A.R. Rahman. The group just filmed a music video for their new single, "Miracle Worker." "Yesterday I made a video with SuperHeavy and it was lots and lots of laughs, and I would do it again a billion gazillion bajilion times over, and I hope that we're going to have a lot more fun in the future," says Stone on the recording of the video. "The music is brilliant, the people that we're working with are hilariously wonderful and life is good right now, woohoo!"

I wonder if Mick thinks looking at her "If only I were 10 years younger!"winking smiley

Date: July 7, 2011 19:53

The Complaint: SuperHeavy Is Not the Rolling Stones

Of course it's not. But Mick Jagger's new "super group" begs the question: What ever happened to the biggest band in the world?

By Matt Sullivan

Out from under the Tiki-bar bullshit that is SuperHeavy's first single, "Miracle Worker" (listen at the 1:45:15 mark here), right after Damien Marley shouts Well that's your own opinion / You're entitled to it, emerges the growl that can wake up the world. It's Mick Jagger, of course, and he sounds about 67-going-on-35 — better than on his solo album a decade ago, maybe even better than why I saw him croon a medley of Damien's dad's stuff on the last Rolling Stones tour five years back. Which kind of makes you angry. Here we are, approaching the fiftieth anniversary of the Stones, and there is no anniversary tour in site, no summoning of energies for the kings of energy — just the band in exile, and Mick in something like a "super group," which, considering it includes Marley and a Eurythmic and the guy who wrote the music for Slumdog Millionaire, really isn't that super at all.
It says something when the head of the greatest group in the history of groups is struggling to assemble a super group.
Now you could blame everyone from Kurt Cobain and Sublime's Bradley Noel, who died and went to hell and left the door open for Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys, to Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber, who are to rock-and-roll bands what Bruce Lee was to a circle of ninjas in every direction. But would the biggest band in the world please stand up? Do the Kings of Leon have to suffice, really? Do the Red Hot Chili Peppers, with a record coming out next month that, without their drug-riddled guitar player, is bound to be as bland as the last? And so, we are stuck either with Coldplay or U2 or, (much) better still, with Radiohead — who would just as soon be the smallest band in the world, though they could do none of the things they do without, in fact, being the most influential. Unless, of course, Mick picks up the gang and wakes up the next great rock act — the Black Keys, or whomever — to be suddenly, and energetically, bigger than themselves, and thus anyone.

Read more: [www.esquire.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 7, 2011 20:13

proudmary
The Complaint: SuperHeavy Is Not the Rolling Stones

Of course it's not. But Mick Jagger's new "super group" begs the question: What ever happened to the biggest band in the world?

By Matt Sullivan

Out from under the Tiki-bar bullshit that is SuperHeavy's first single, "Miracle Worker" (listen at the 1:45:15 mark here), right after Damien Marley shouts Well that's your own opinion / You're entitled to it, emerges the growl that can wake up the world. It's Mick Jagger, of course, and he sounds about 67-going-on-35 — better than on his solo album a decade ago, maybe even better than why I saw him croon a medley of Damien's dad's stuff on the last Rolling Stones tour five years back. Which kind of makes you angry. Here we are, approaching the fiftieth anniversary of the Stones, and there is no anniversary tour in site, no summoning of energies for the kings of energy — just the band in exile, and Mick in something like a "super group," which, considering it includes Marley and a Eurythmic and the guy who wrote the music for Slumdog Millionaire, really isn't that super at all.
It says something when the head of the greatest group in the history of groups is struggling to assemble a super group.
Now you could blame everyone from Kurt Cobain and Sublime's Bradley Noel, who died and went to hell and left the door open for Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys, to Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber, who are to rock-and-roll bands what Bruce Lee was to a circle of ninjas in every direction. But would the biggest band in the world please stand up? Do the Kings of Leon have to suffice, really? Do the Red Hot Chili Peppers, with a record coming out next month that, without their drug-riddled guitar player, is bound to be as bland as the last? And so, we are stuck either with Coldplay or U2 or, (much) better still, with Radiohead — who would just as soon be the smallest band in the world, though they could do none of the things they do without, in fact, being the most influential. Unless, of course, Mick picks up the gang and wakes up the next great rock act — the Black Keys, or whomever — to be suddenly, and energetically, bigger than themselves, and thus anyone.

What arrogance. Let me guess, he was also one of the yahoos at the 'Disco Sucks' riots in Chicago in the late 70s. To dismiss Damian Marley and his audience is bad enough. But A.R. Rahman has sold over 300 MILLION albums. I don't know how many albums the Stones have sold cumulatively, but Mick might be in with a guy who is bigger than him. At this time in 1988 the Stones were considered on the ropes. Keith hadn't even done his Winos tour yet. And yet, as if by money, I mean magic, they got it together in time for the Steel Wheels CD and world tour starting in 1989.

Do you really have hope that the songs on the next CD, if they even bother, will be dramatically better than the crap on their last three CDs? Maybe we'll get a 50 Licks with a few 'new' ones the caliber of 'Don't Stop'. If Super Heavy does anything positive for the Stones, it would be to goose Keith Richards to write something interesting, and to maybe switch out some of those sidemen they've been using since 1989.

Posted by: hailtothestones ()
Date: July 7, 2011 20:16

You can hear the single here. [www.bbc.co.uk]

Starts at 1:45:00

I enjoyed the teaser more than the song. Maybe it will grow on me.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: July 7, 2011 20:41

hailtothestones

Starts at 1:45:00

I enjoyed the teaser more than the song. Maybe it will grow on me.

Thanks !
It's funny, very funny >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 7, 2011 23:06

thanks for posting the bbc link. like the song... like the voices on the chorus, like the fiddle, like the concept... but i'm easy like that.

if you add up the individual SH fan-bases, wonder how many people are interested in SH. a lot i bet.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: July 7, 2011 23:10

I just listened to a part of the song Superheavy and tkat material just fantastic. Go für it Jagger. The best stuff you did so far without the Stones.

Posted by: hailtothestones ()
Date: July 7, 2011 23:32

Yea, I will admit the chorus has been ringing through my head all day at work. I enjoy the song more and more. Though I think Joss Stone steals it. Mick's singing on the chorus is good but the verses really bother me.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 8, 2011 00:42

for some reason it reminds me of 'ooh la la'

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 8, 2011 00:46

ooohoooo your a miracle worker....ooohooo you're a surgeon of love...killer hook.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: July 8, 2011 01:40

surgeon of love?

Decent tune,but what's up with those lyrics?

Date: July 8, 2011 11:03

Mick rolls on
JAGGER UNVEILS STONES-FREE PROJECT SUPERHEAVY WHILE ECLIPSING KEITH ON THE CRED FACTOR
BY JASON KELLER
It may have only taken him 50 years to do it, but Mick Jagger has finally surged into the lead as the coolest member of the Rolling Stones.

Up until this point we’d become comfortable in our assessments of the Glimmer Twins: Keith, the soulful, roving musicians’ musician who would knock back a pint with a fan; Mick, the ego-driven money vacuum who courts the elite and places showmanship over creativity.
But thanks to current events within the Stones camp these roles have somewhat reversed and Mick’s stock and credibility has soared.
It started with two separate events, both within months of each other, and culminated with arrival of new Mick project called SuperHeavy, but we’ll get to them later.
The first was the release of Keith’s autobiography, Life. Richards’ tome was a mostly entertaining read and a gift to “Keef” fanatics hoping for the experience of chilling with the man in his Connecticut den. But it was also heinous act of back-stabbing crime directed his musical life-mate.
You expected Richards to take the piss out Mick – it would be well-deserved – but not spiral into childish insults and nasty criticism of Jagger as an artist. After reading Life, it’s really hard to picture the two standing on stage together again, Keith leaning on Mick’s shoulder in that iconic pose.
The second was Mick’s performance at this year’s Grammy Awards. As if responding to Keith’s taunts about his unspectacular 80s solo career, Jagger slayed the Grammies with a throwdown of the Solomon Burke/Wilson Pickett classic Everybody Needs Somebody to Love. Jagger absolutely schooled those auto-tuning kids on the hit parade.
Now, as if energized by months of Life-fuelled gossip and criticism of his solo ventures, Mick has unveiled a no-Stones project that actually makes sense and shows he’s willing to come out of the comfort zone.
And where’s Keith these days? Playing dress-up pirate for Disney and chumming around with Bill Clinton.
Mick’s new group, called SuperHeavy and consisting of Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Damian Marley and Slumdog soundtrack star A.R. Rahman, just dropped their first single today, Miracle Worker. It’s a jammed-out reggae joint with a sweet hook, Jagger and Stone connecting on the chorus while Marley does lyrical throw-ins from the background and Rahman lays down an instrumental melody.
Sadly, this could be the best songs Mick has done since the Steel Wheels album and it’s right in Keith’s backyard, so to speak. Keith has always been the main reggae guy in the Stones, signing late legend Pete Tosh to their label back in the 70s and even buying a house and setting up shop in Jamaica.
The last time Mick broke out alone, Keith went mental and, as Life proved, we’re still hearing about it. Hopefully this time Keith can put the poison darts down long enough to appreciate the talents of his Stones brother.

[www.nowtoronto.com]

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 8, 2011 11:30

Just listened to that BBC-recording and must admit the song got me grooving alright.
Not something really special, but I wouldn't mind hearing this song a couple of times while enjoying
a warm summer in the sun.
Mick's singing has a nice agressive tone. A bit of mustard to add to the sweetness of the other
artists.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 8, 2011 11:57

hailtothestones

Thank you. I think I like it.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 8, 2011 13:49

mtaylor
proudmary

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

From the article:
Exactly. thumbs up
I'll say Don Was more than Keith.

Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 8, 2011 14:51

the nowtoronto guy has some points
the song it has a hook
i like the instrumental part near the end
mick voice too loud in the mix as usual (
wonder if it is him that want it like that or some sort of flattery from the producer as if the biggest star should be in the foreground

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 8, 2011 15:09

I think its a cracker and better than anything we've heard 'Stones' related for a long time....

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 8, 2011 15:17

No no so bad how I thought.

Date: July 8, 2011 16:17

James Kirk
surgeon of love?

Decent tune,but what's up with those lyrics?

...there's no official lyric yet...so.... have license to hear something else....that's what I heard anyway.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 8, 2011 21:09

Why were they playing November Rain in there? That made me about jump out of my chair!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 8, 2011 21:14

The single, having listened to it, has too much screaming kind of singing in it. Mick especially! That guy zinging off whatever it is that's not quite in the background is odd, as in difficult to understand.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 8, 2011 21:20

I can't stand Josh Stone. That's really all I can say about this thing.

Mathijs

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: July 8, 2011 21:35

Frankly just some chart friendly overproduced claptrap with a reasonable hook trying to hard to be hip and cool. I'd be more impressed if Mick did something with Drive-By Truckers, a band who keep it real and would be a real poke in the eye for Keef.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: July 8, 2011 21:46

carlostones10
Better than the crap of Roberto Carlos.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: July 8, 2011 21:59

Its got strings/ violins in the ending!!! my instrument

Date: July 8, 2011 22:09

NickB
Frankly just some chart friendly overproduced claptrap with a reasonable hook trying to hard to be hip and cool. I'd be more impressed if Mick did something with Drive-By Truckers, a band who keep it real and would be a real poke in the eye for Keef.

Mick would be amazing in front of them. Awesome. There would probably be no more clamoring for the Stones.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 8, 2011 22:56

mtaylor
carlostones10

hahahah... nothing is worst than Roberto Carlos. smileys with beer

The king is really the big crap.

Date: July 8, 2011 23:01

carlostones10
mtaylor
carlostones10

hahahah... nothing is worst than Roberto Carlos. smileys with beer

The king is really the big crap.
Brazilian crapsmileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home