Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 63
Re: Super Heavy with Mick Jagger
Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 19, 2011 21:30

HighwireC
SUPERHEAVY tracklist:

"Miracle Worker"
"You're Never Gonna Change"
"One Day, One Night"
"Energy"
"SuperHeavy"
"Satyameva Jayate"
"Beautiful People"
"I Don't Mind"
"Common Ground"
"Unbelievable"
"Hey Captain"
"Soul Music"
"Mahya"
"Warning People"
"Rock the Country"
"New Born Baby"
"I Can't Take It No More"

17 songs

wondering if SH's 'New Born Baby' is the same as JS's 'Newborn', guess time will tell...

[www.joss-stone.net]

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: July 19, 2011 21:40

Natlanta
HighwireC
SUPERHEAVY tracklist:

"Miracle Worker"
"You're Never Gonna Change"
"One Day, One Night"
"Energy"
"SuperHeavy"
"Satyameva Jayate"
"Beautiful People"
"I Don't Mind"
"Common Ground"
"Unbelievable"
"Hey Captain"
"Soul Music"
"Mahya"
"Warning People"
"Rock the Country"
"New Born Baby"
"I Can't Take It No More"

17 songs

wondering if SH's 'New Born Baby' is the same as JS's 'Newborn', guess time will tell...

[www.joss-stone.net]

Listen to Joss complete song here:
[www.jossstone.com]

compare with "New Born Baby" here:

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 19, 2011 22:07

HighwireC

"Satyameva Jayate," which translates to "the truth alone triumphs." ..." [" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">]

Isn´t that on the flag of India?

Slumdog Millionaire knowledge...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-19 22:07 by TooTough.

Date: July 19, 2011 22:35

TooTough
HighwireC

"Satyameva Jayate," which translates to "the truth alone triumphs." ..."

smileys with beer

Isn´t that on the flag of India?

Slumdog Millionaire knowledge...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 19, 2011 22:59

Love the video...what appears to be the last track in the 17 song listing, "I Can't Take It No More", sounds excellent and I now can't wait for it to be released.

Great to see them having fun in the studio as well.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 19, 2011 23:38

Review for MW:
SuperHeavy‘s first single, the straight-up reggae track ‘Miracle Worker,’ has arrived, and Mick Jagger‘s promise that the style of his diverse new all-star band of musicians would be surprising and “wide ranging” seems at least partially true so far.

As if to prove his point that the group, which also features modern-day soul singer Joss Stone, reggae star Damien Marley, award-winning Indian film composer A.R. Rahman and Eurythmics guitarist Dave Stewart, is indeed a democracy, Jagger is neither the primary nor secondary vocalist on the track.

Instead, over a booming bassline and an extremely traditional reggae beat, Stone’s pop-influenced vocals carry most of the load, with Marley adding “toasting”-style commentary throughout, and Jagger merely popping in at a few specified moments, mostly to promise some new kind of sexual healing:

“My loving laser will regenerate your heart / No need for anesthetics, I’m gonna check your charts / I will reshape you, recast you from the mold / A brand new beautiful woman will blossom from the old.”

Sonically, it all sounds fantastic, but other than the slightly unique blend of the trio’s differing vocal styles, the song doesn’t break a whole lot of new ground. In fact, the track probably raises more questions than it answers about the upcoming album: Will Jagger stay this far in the background throughout? Will the reggae influence be as strong on other songs, or will musical styles more associated with the other artists in the band appear as well?
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

uperheavy, the fusion supergroup comprising of Mick Jagger, AR Rahman, Damien Marley, Dave Stewart and Joss Stone has released their first single. Fusion is a tricky business and when heavy weights collaborate, the outcome may not be necessarily memorable. Miracle Worker is one such example, it is at best a bad reggae song.
The song is a mash up of different styles. It seems the producer wanted to introduce all the members of the band. It begins like a run-of-the-mill reggae number with Damien Marley doing the singing. Then comes Joss Stone with her Soul and she is soon joined by Mick Jagger. A R Rahman’s contribution is just namesake, he is heard mumbling something in Hindi and that’s about it. I believe Dave Stewart has contributed the rhythm guitar you hear in the background. And to make things a little more muddled there is a violin bit also thrown in.
I know it is too early to draw a judgement about the whole album with just one single. But surely Miracle worker is a very bad choice as the first single of the album. Let’s hope the next song will make me eat my words.
[www.musicaloud.com]
Heavy news about a 'SuperHeavy' group consisting out of Mick Jagger, Eurythmics founder Dave Stewart, singer Joss Stone, composer A.R. Rahman and reggae artist Damian Marley. I have no idea how the group got together except for the fact that Jagger & Stewart wondered how a band of musicians from different genres would sound like. Here they are with its first single and an album coming to you around September.

Pop artist SuperHeavy released the "Miracle Worker" song on July 18, 2011. We just love the song "Miracle Worker" (a Thumbs Up)! OMG, this song is fresh out of the oven! Nice... just out as single and getting some airplay. Let's see whether it will make to the top or just be average.
I give it 4 of 5 stars.
[musicremedy.com]

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 19, 2011 23:46

I watched the video in the studio.

Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 20, 2011 00:30

"Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid."

Really?

Beats anything Stones related for years! At least it sounds interesting for once...

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 20, 2011 11:52

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 20, 2011 14:01

Dave Stewart and Joss Stone on SuperHeavy on BBC Breakfast 18.07.11

Dave Stewart appeared on BBC Breakfast yesterday with Joss Stone, he talked about his new album The Blackbird Diaries, as well as Joss’ new album (which he co-wrote) and the new band Super Heavy which includes Joss, Mick Jagger, Damien Marley and AR Rahman. Dave’s new album is currently number 1 in the Amazon UK country chart, and he’s said jokingly on Twitter that “I’m a country boy at heart”.
[youtu.be]

+
[www.facebook.com] for more pics and music

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 20, 2011 16:59

toomuchforme
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Acoording to the tracklisting given on cdjapan :

1. Miracle Worker
2. One Day One Night
3. Energy
4. Unbelievable
5. SuperHeavy
6. I can't take it no more
7. You're never gonna change
8. I don't mind
9. (not yet decided)

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 20, 2011 18:34

fwiw- From what I have seen (recently on the promotion front in the US) is Joss Stone out pushing HER OWN new CD/material. She has not even mentioned Super Heavy or Jagger or any of this. Who knows what the means about anything.... but I bet she will do what is best for her, and HER record company, which she owns... and I would guess that means her own tour, pushing her own product... but who knows... we will see.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 20, 2011 18:53

Max'sKansasCity
fwiw- From what I have seen (recently on the promotion front in the US) is Joss Stone out pushing HER OWN new CD/material. She has not even mentioned Super Heavy or Jagger or any of this. Who knows what the means about anything.... but I bet she will do what is best for her, and HER record company, which she owns... and I would guess that means her own tour, pushing her own product... but who knows... we will see.
Yes she does have her own CD coming out and is currently doing promotion for it. She'll also probably participate in promotion for Super Heavy. But I think it's highly unlikely they'll ever play live,

Date: July 20, 2011 19:21

sweetcharmedlife
Max'sKansasCity
Yes she does have her own CD coming out and is currently doing promotion for it. She'll also probably participate in promotion for Super Heavy. But I think it's highly unlikely they'll ever play live,

The SuperHeavy Band did perform eight songs from their upcoming album in L.A. some week ago, at a promotion event to get some good review in upcoming magazines next month.

Surely this "group" will never tour, but we can expect some live acts at the Grammys or something else ...

All members of Superheavy will still promote their solo issues.

... and Mick, regenerated thru superheavy-working, will gather an inspire his own boygroup ...

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 21, 2011 23:19

Full song...

Date: July 22, 2011 01:10

Bitches Brew
Full song...

Wow...I've heard it a few times now, and it keeps getting better to my ears.

Bring it on!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 22, 2011 01:35

Not bad............now I hear the complete song I get used to it, even Micks voice although I love his voice more at the end in the background

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 22, 2011 05:59

Hmmmmm. Need to hear it on my home stereo instead of these little computer speakers. Sounds like the chorus needs a little work, but I could get used to it. I hope the other songs have some more punch to them.

Date: July 22, 2011 16:21

Rahman’s new approach
Sarah Salvadore, TNN | Jul 22, 2011, 01.41pm IST
The composer has changed his working method to suit the needs of the band he's currently working with...

Rahman confesses that he has now changed his style of working for the band Super Heavy, featuring Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart, Joss Stone and Damien Marley. "When I'm in my studios I work alone, in the silence of the night. But with Super Heavy, we had the other band members drop in to do their bit, give their ideas and suggestions and bond musically. The one thing we all knew was that no matter how big a star one is, we had all put our egos in our bags to come up with something that would blow the listener's mind away. Plus, everything with Super Heavy is recorded live, whereas I'm used to working on production pieces," he admits.

Despite a heavy line-up, the music from the album will not be very different from what's expected of the band members. "We haven't tried to make it very different for the western audience. But at the same time, I wanted to design something with an Indian feel. That's when I created Satyameva Jayate. It will be interesting to hear Mick (Jagger) sing in Sanskrit!" laughs ARR.

[timesofindia.indiatimes.com]

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: July 22, 2011 16:44

Miracle worker severely lacks any balls, grit or edge. The song gets boring quickly, doesn't go anywhere interesting and overstays its welcome halfway through. Jagger's oversinging is excruciating at times, Stone sounds fake, Marley comes out of it relatively unscathed apart from some mind-bendingly poor lyrics.

Why Jagger - or any of them - are wasting their time with this turd of a project is utterly beyond me.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 22, 2011 17:19

i liked it from the first listen but it gets better w/ each listen!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 22, 2011 19:44

treaclefingers
Bitches Brew
Full song...

Wow...I've heard it a few times now, and it keeps getting better to my ears.

Bring it on!

Same for me...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 22, 2011 19:54

WorriedAboutYou
Miracle worker severely lacks any balls, grit or edge. The song gets boring quickly, doesn't go anywhere interesting and overstays its welcome halfway through. Jagger's oversinging is excruciating at times, Stone sounds fake, Marley comes out of it relatively unscathed apart from some mind-bendingly poor lyrics.

Why Jagger - or any of them - are wasting their time with this turd of a project is utterly beyond me.

....maybe because his business partner thinks a little like you do and he's tired of it.

Date: July 24, 2011 11:35

Album Stream: Joss Stone - LP1
After enduring a lengthy battle with her record company, working with Raphael Saadiq, collaborating on movie soundtracks, forming a band called Superheavy with Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart and Damien Marley as well as acting in the film Aragon and HBO’s The Tudors, Joss Stone has become her own woman. Launching a label after fighting for emancipation, Stone applies that torque, frustration and fire on LP1, a full-tumble of relentless musicianship, grit and soul.

While Joss Stone’s latest record LP1 won’t be in stores until July 26 via Stone’d Records and Surfdog Records, you can hear the entire record streaming in the player below. Be sure to check back next week for Holly Gleason’s full review of LP1.

[www.pastemagazine.com]

What’s with Joss Stone? She can sing like Aretha but reveals nothing to us, says Will Hodgkinson

If suffering is the backbone of soul, Joss Stone should be up there with Aretha Franklin and Etta James. Growing up in public since the age of 14, Stone has had to sack her mother as her manager, go into battle with her record label, and have her heart broken by Beau Dozier, son of the Motown songwriting legend Lamont Dozier. Dealing with a break-up is one thing. Then, in June this year, having criminals allegedly target you and your Devon home for burglary and grievous bodily harm is another.
Why is it, then, that Joss Stone remains so unknowable?
By anyone’s standards she has a remarkable voice: Janis Joplin by way of Aretha Franklin. The setting for this voice is well judged: acoustic and electric guitar from producer/co-writer Dave Stewart, what sounds like a Fender Rhodes piano and some unobtrusive, gospel-tinged backing vocals chiming in at the right moments. Lyrically, her album covers the kind of down-home, relatable subjects soul has always stuck to: feckless boyfriends, loneliness, being attracted to the wrong people, being in love with the right people. And yet you cannot help but feel that it’s not experience that feeds Stone’s music, but study. We never really get a sense of the woman behind the song.
Stone has a good understanding of blue-collar American music. She does slow-jam balladry on Drive All Night, country rock on Boat Yard, and the mellow LA style of Linda Ronstadt and Stevie Nicks on Cry Myself to Sleep. But when a Devon-born girl sings like she’s grown up in a bar in New Orleans you wonder how much of herself she is really sharing with us. Mick Jagger has made a career of doing the same thing, and perhaps Stone and Jagger have been comparing American accents in their new group SuperHeavy, but Jagger turned imitation into art. For Joss Stone it remains a craft.
There are moments when you feel less of a disconnection between the woman and her songs. Somehow is a straightforward, slightly cheesy rocker, but it’s fun. So too is Landlord, which borrows a blues riff from Robert Johnson’s Love in Vain. There’s something going on with these two songs. Elsewhere, LP1 is a polished vehicle for an accomplished songstress, but it stops short of being moving.
Perhaps becoming cocooned in a bubble of money and fame at such a young age has halted Stone’s potential.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Date: August 1, 2011 12:23

Chatting with Joss Stone
Mike Ragogna
[www.huffingtonpost.com]

MR: Joss, how did Super Heavy come together? That rostery is pretty impressive.

JS: It is interesting, isn't it? It's definitely a different thing to do. Dave, at the same time, he's got this thing where he just has these ideas, and he just does them. He just randomly has crazy ideas and a lot of people say, "Oh, well you know, he's got thousands of ideas. He's mental. It's never going to work." But then, five minutes, and it's done. He calls me up, and it's the same thing. "Hey Joss, how're you doing? Um, I've got a really cool idea. Do you want to come? Mick Jagger and I, we're going to make a band. Do you want to sing in the band?" "Yeah, okay." The next minute, I find myself in the studio with all these amazing people, and--"wham bam thank you ma'am"--now we've got an album coming out in September. Just look at it! It's really, really wicked. (laughs) The situations I find myself in are just, like, ridiculous. (laughs)

MR: And the song "Miracle Worker" already has a video.

JS: Yeah, we did it just the other day.

MR: What was that like?

JS: I like the video, it's got this whole story that's running through it. At the beginning, Damian and I have this conversation and our conversation is about a love that's in a little bit of turmoil. It's not a love lost, but it is kind of going through something. Then Mick, in the video--and also in the lyrics and the song--plays this character that's kind of like the witchdoctor that puts everything right and, I guess, is a little bit of a love therapist in a way. And then, in the chorus, we all come together, sing it, and everything gets fixed, of course, because that's the only way that it could possibly happen. (laughs)

Joss Stone: "I'm Living a Happy Private Life"
[www.usmagazine.com]
It’s a good thing Joss Stone has plenty of work to focus on.
Even though a brutal murder plot against her was recently uncovered by British authorities (the investigation is ongoing), the singer has had a full plate with her fifth album LP1, dropping tomorrow, and her duties in the new supergroup SuperHeavy alongside Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart, Damian Marley and A.R. Rahman.

Us: How is it working with Mick Jagger in SuperHeavy?

JS: It is quite a funny old world I have stepped into, isn't it? It is very surreal. He is a legend, as is Dave, Damian Marley, and A.R. Rahman to the people in India. It is a compliment that they picked me to be the girl in the group to cover it up with my silly lyrics. The way that Mick writes is so clever. He is more intelligent than you would expect this rock and roll god to be. He has so much information to give and I love that because I learn more. When I was working with Mick, I realized that taking more time could be beneficial. He paints pictures with his lyrics, and it is brilliant. He is a lovely man who is bloody talented. I am lucky to be able to work with him. I pinch myself sometimes!

Us: Did you get to do anything fun with him?

JS: He asked me to go out to a club with him once. He is so naughty. He is like, 'I am going to go out and I am going to dance around.' I was like, 'Mick I can't do that I have to go to bed.' He is a party animal who jokes around and is very funny. He is not what some people suggest him to be. A lot of people asked if he came on to me. Of course he bloody didn't. He has always been like my dad and more, but he is a mentoring chap. He is not that rock and roll flirt; he is a carefree gentleman.

Us: Did you get to meet his girlfriend, stylist L'Wren Scott?

JS: When she walked in I was like, 'my goodness how beautiful is this woman?' Of course Mick's wife is a stunning six-foot tall, longhaired woman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-01 13:27 by proudmary.

Date: August 1, 2011 13:22

Joss Stone
By JON PARELES
“LP1” (Stone’d/Surfdog)
The British soul singer Joss Stone starts and ends “LP1,” her first album for her own label, with songs calling for world peace. But peace between lovers is even harder to find. For most of the album she lets her big, smoky voice rip into songs of all-out romantic strife.
“Now you’re telling me you’re sorry,” she reproaches one no-good soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend. “Don’t start lying to me now.”
Passionate lovers’ quarrels are a fine outlet for Ms. Stone’s outsize delivery. She’s an all-out belter, an unapologetic admirer of Janis Joplin’s most heated moments; anything less than tragedy or fury leaves her sounding overwrought. The assignment, through her career, has been to come up with songs and production that frame such intensity, and she was immediately drawn to the American music that makes room for singers to moan and shout. Like a hippie born too late, Ms. Stone, 24, has delved into 1960s and ’70s funk and soul, sometimes mixing them with the samples, programmed beats and guest rappers of hip-hop.
“LP1” doesn’t bother with hip-hop trappings. For this album she shares production and songwriting with Dave Stewart, from Eurythmics, who has lately been drawn to bluesy, down-home Americana. (Mr. Stewart and Ms. Stone are also part of SuperHeavy, the improbable supergroup that includes Mick Jagger, A. R. Rahman and Damian Marley and is due to release an album in September.)
For “LP1” Mr. Stewart leads a band of Nashville sidemen who often situate Ms. Stone in Southern soul, with the 1970s cackle of a clavinet or the gospel underpinnings of piano and organ. They can also hint at the Rolling Stones of “Ruby Tuesday.” The instruments have a lustrous resonance, while the dynamics sound natural, not programmed.
The album’s best songs are platforms for near-hysteria. With strings and backup vocals urging her on, Ms. Stone tearfully, angrily insists she won’t “Cry Myself to Sleep”; by the end of “Last One to Know,” she is almost screaming, “I don’t want to be, I don’t need to be in love!”
She and Mr. Stewart go for humor with the conceit in “Landlord” — that she’d prefer romance to rent money — but even backed by a lone acoustic guitar, Ms. Stone works herself up to desperate pleas. Her voice is a loose cannon; “LP1” figures out how to aim it.
[www.nytimes.com]

Review: Joss Stone's "LP1:" most arresting effort yet
By Chris Willman

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap) - Joss Stone may not be the most original performer to inhabit the world of white English soul singers, but her fifth album, "LP1," may be the partial antidote we need to help cure the post-Winehouse blues.
It's her most arresting effort yet, largely because it takes her out of her R&B comfort zone -- an area that Amy Winehouse could reinvent through sheer force of wit, but where the more earnest Stone could sound a bit more affected as she established her old-soul credentials.
This time, she's less Aretha and more Janis. Working with her for the first time, producer Dave Stewart (of Eurythmics fame) goes for a much harder-rocking sound than she's had before, working with a Nashville band that sounds like the Stones when they aren't veering a bit westward to evoke the steamier side of Memphis soul.
Not coincidentally, perhaps, Stone and Stewart have joined Mick Jagger for a supergroup, Super Heavy, that is set to release an album in the fall. At times, "LP1" sounds like it could be a primer for that forthcoming effort, especially with the keyboard-and-guitar interplay of "Karma" sounding like it's right out of the "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" era. "Cutting the Breeze" -- a bonus track that ends the deluxe edition -- might have you studying the credits to make sure Keith and Ronnie didn't sneak in for a guest appearance.
Fans of Stone's previous albums -- dating back to her 2003 debut, released when she was a precocious soul mama of 16 -- may not cotton to the louder, more raw stuff here, with the singer abandoning classic R&B for rock just when Adele is making her former style more commercially palatable than ever.
But Stone is big on nothing if not setting her own course. She fought to escape her contract with her former major label, to the point that her last album opened with a song that had her wailing, "Free me, EMI!" Now she's on her own label, and regardless of whether she was a bit insolent in her past anti-majors protests, she's not wasting her independence. This isn't the first time she's used an album title to signify a fresh, more artistic start. Her third one, after all, was called "Introducing Joss Stone." But the rockiness really does invigorate "LP1."
There are moments of overreaching, as just about anyone with one of the most powerful voices in music might be susceptible to. A couple of numbers that have her accompanied only by an acoustic guitar, like "Landlord," could have used more toned-down vocals, too, in contrast to her all-or-nothing intensity.
But if you want to hear some seriously solid dynamics, check out "Drive All Night," one of the best of the many songs that have gone by that title. In the verses, Stone captures the uncertainty of a tentative relationship: "I started to worry: Do I smell nice?.../Then I go and kiss you/And the followup from that was a whole bunch of nothing." But the chorus has her boyfriend making an all-night road trip just to see her, and she exults, "No one's ever drove for miles to make me smile before."
For such a wrenchingly blues-based singer, it's an unusually happy ending...the kind we all could especially use this week.
[www.reuters.com]

Date: August 4, 2011 02:18

Superheavy
"Miracle Worker"
Rolling Stone: star rating 3 1/2
By JON DOLAN
AUGUST 3, 2011
People don’t often use the term "world music" anymore, but the first offering from Superheavy — Mick Jagger's collaboration with Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Damian Marley and Indian theatrical composer A.R. Rahman — is some pretty worldly stuff. Jagger really goes for it, tasting every word he rolls out over the soul-splashed roots-reggae groove, which is cut with a gorgeous fiddle melody strung between Nashville and Istanbul. It's a summertime single built for every beach.
Listen to "Miracle Worker": [www.rollingstone.com]

Date: August 4, 2011 02:27

proudmary
Superheavy
"Miracle Worker"
Rolling Stone: star rating 3 1/2
By JON DOLAN
AUGUST 3, 2011
People don’t often use the term "world music" anymore, but the first offering from Superheavy — Mick Jagger's collaboration with Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Damian Marley and Indian theatrical composer A.R. Rahman — is some pretty worldly stuff. Jagger really goes for it, tasting every word he rolls out over the soul-splashed roots-reggae groove, which is cut with a gorgeous fiddle melody strung between Nashville and Istanbul. It's a summertime single built for every beach.
Listen to "Miracle Worker": [www.rollingstone.com]

Thanks for that!

I hate downloading a song in MP3 format, that I know I'm going to buy the CD (AND Vinyl if it comes out), for.

This song still works for me...I even agree with the rating of 3.5 stars. It's a great tune, but it's not Gimme Shelter, (nor is it claiming to be).

Date: August 4, 2011 19:29

See Mick Jagger Interact With His New Bandmates, Joss Stone and Damian Marley

Back in the spring, when the band Super Heavy — featuring the WTF-lineup of Mick Jagger, the Eurythmics' Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Damian Marley, and A.R. Rahman — was announced, Vulture's helpful commentary was that "either these people have the most scintillating conversations ever heard, or they just sit around after practice avoiding eye contact." Luckily, by way of premiering their debut track, "Miracle Worker," Super Heavy has released an in-studio clip, and it is fascinating. At one point, the principals are all standing around, amicably discussing what to do with the next part of a song. Stone throws out some lyrics. Stewart tells Jagger, who is rocking some sick airport newsstand sunglasses, to bring back a "great riff" he had before. Damian Marley looks like he wishes he were still chiefing blunts with Nas. And then they keep it moving forward. Is this really happening? It looks like it's really happening!

[nymag.com]

Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Damian Marley team up for SuperHeavy: Hear their single here
by Melissa Maerz

Supergroups, unite and take over! Next week sees the release of Kanye and Jay-Z’s Watch the Throne, and now there’s the first single from SuperHeavy, the band that features Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Damian Marley, and Indian film composer A.R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire).
A breezy reggae groove that features an Bollywood-inspired string section (!), “Miracle Worker” begins with Marley “reachin’ out to all the lovers who might be thinkin’ about breakin’ up… or maybe makin’ up.” (Listen to it here.) From there, Stone and Jagger trade verses for the strangest dream team since members of Hanson, Smashing Pumpkins, and Cheap Trick got together for Tinted Windows.
So how did this group come together? During a press conference at Henson Studios in Los Angeles on June 30, Jagger and Stewart explained that the concept behind the group’s forthcoming self-titled album was to see what would happen if musicians from different cultures composed and recorded together, and indeed, the songs reportedly borrow from each band member’s specialty: reggae (Marley), blues-rock (Jagger), soul (Stone) and even Indian film music (Rachman). “I love musicians from all over the world, but never liked the term ‘world music,’” Stewart said. “That sounds like people knitting with yogurt.”
Stewart told reporters that the group recorded 29 songs in 10 days, which meant it all happened so quickly that Marley didn’t have time to school himself on his bandmates’ back catalog. “I wasn’t really familiar with everyone else’s music before,” he said, “but you observe how they work. It was a great experience.”
Stone has said that SuperHeavy will wait to see the reaction to the album, which is due to be released September 20, before they decide whether they’ll tour together. But we can’t wait til then: tell us in the comments what you think of the song.

[music-mix.ew.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-04 19:33 by proudmary.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 5, 2011 00:13

The SuperHeavy album is reportedly getting 4 bonus tracks for the iTunes release. Given the inferior sound quality of that one, it is shrewd business that the CD will only have 9 tracks when in fact it should have 13.

This whole project is a test by music marketers to find out about how much they can get away with.

The sad thing is there really is not any great deal on offer at all. A 9 track CD is just as inferior as a 13 track mp3 release when there could have been a 13 track CD.

It's likely to sink quickly just like Dave Stewart's last test balloon in music marketing, Platinum Weird. Anyone remember them? I mean anyone remember them from the 70s even? ;-) No one? About what I expected.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2148
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home