Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 63
SuperHeavy
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 7, 2011 11:45

I know that there are already threads on this topic but one turned into a personal blog of one person with reactions to his posts of two more posters. So we can not assume that this is the place where it's possible to discuss a new Jagger's project
In any case there will be soon more news and views, respectively, on Super Heavy, so let this thread will be a place for this.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-19 19:01 by proudmary.

Re: Super Heavy
Date: June 7, 2011 11:52

Dave Stewart Interview
Chris van Oostrom | June 6, 2011

Dave Stewart talks Super Heavy with [translate.google.com]

It would be an understatement to say that Dave Stewart is currently quite productive. The former half of the Eurythmics produced the new album by Stevie Nicks and Joss Stone, was responsible for the supervision of the musical Ghost, and together with Mick Jagger also went to the Super Heavy supergroup. His new solo CD, The Blackbird Diaries seems almost an afterthought, but make no mistake: this is his best so far.
Stewart himself is clearly no less surprised at this recent flurry of activity. "I do not know what's going on. It seems I've taken the blue pill, haha! Everything is now virtually simultaneously, although that was not planned. But 2011 has so far indeed an epic year for me, like you say. Much of what I did, however, was in the service of others. The focus was not on me. Except now Diaries The Blackbird, which is a curse and a sigh is included. I just had a feeling about this time that I could do very quickly. I was in London when the volcanic ash from Iceland I get the streets swept, ever bought a guitar from a strange country singer from Texas had been, and before I knew I wandered through Nashville with the idea of ??a plate. I met John and his wife Martina McBride. Saw those old instruments in the studio, started a lot of listening to country blues and I just knew I had to make a record. Only after I had made that decision, I realized that I did not have any songs for it! So I had to write to the spot, sometimes in twenty minutes.
It is hardly surprising that the end result is at odds with the material from both his previous solo albums and his work with Annie Lennox in the Eurythmics. While Stewart formerly numerous musical idioms merged, picks it them now from one another and presents them in their actual state: unadulterated blues, melancholy country, folk narrative. "It's like full circle. Previously it was more that I pay tribute to these influences showed. Now I made it my own. "
The lyrics of this album can be seen as taking a synopsis of the man's entire life - the divorce of his parents through his first steps into the music world to the glory years with Annie. So you do not hurt your brain determined to find out what period Beast Called Fame acts. "From a certain point in the eighties to about 1993, I am aware of other things are involved. I became interested in photography, I went into the art world, had children. In the ten years before I was fully occupied by the enormous machinery that is called fame. As if you top a giant tractor unit each time a cliff down to aperient. It's a big responsibility to deal with. Some artists get lost and never come back. "

One thing is unchanged witness The Blackbird Diaries: Stewart is not a singer. That he has never been and probably never will be. You hear after all these years still someone who is not accustomed to grab the microphone and still forced to do. In otherwise strong songs like Magic In The Blues shimmers in his speech a bit like the phrasing of his good friend Bob Dylan through, but elsewhere most been successful if he can lean on Martina McBride, Colbie Caillat, the angelic harmonies of The Secret Sisters of the thousands of second recognizable voice of Stevie Nicks. He himself is nevertheless pleased with his first own vocals. "On my last solo album I put too much effort. Now I tried to disagree. "

Stewart took over The Blackbird Diaries when he already had plans are made ??for the creation of Super Heavy, whose occupation in any case the term supergroup is justified: in addition to Stewart, we find Mick Jagger, Joss Stone, Damian Marley and the Indian all-rounder AR Rahman, the latter three years back even won an Oscar for the score of Slumdog Millionaire. Strange is that in notifications about the origins of the group usually overlooked the fact that Stewart, Jagger and Stone have already worked together intensively for the benefit of the soundtrack for the Alfie remake. "Yes, that's true. Mick and I therefore knew immediately that we would ask Joss again. Tremendous enthusiasm, incredible voice. AR Rahman And they call it the Mozart of India. I have known him for twelve years. A brilliant composer. Damian is again very good experiment with words. During the first jam session clicked right away. In the beginning was a song quietly go thirty minutes. Of the thirty songs that eventually completed the harvest of one year was, we have sixteen selected for the album. We are currently working on the mixing. Producing Super Heavy was really crazy. So many different personalities, so many different voices. I was right in the firing line. "
As if all these activities were not enough time swallowing, Stewart is also affiliated with Ghost, the musical version of the movie with Demi Moore and the recently actually went to the other side Patrick Swayze. Can we sometimes a radical makeover of Unchained Melody expect? "Yes, that is indeed free radical," laughs Stewart. "But I would not reveal too much about. Furthermore, of course, all original songs, but that number was now once in the film. We are nonetheless a very personal twist. It is now the musical even a few times back, again and again in a different guise. But I do not say how! "

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-07 12:03 by proudmary.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 7, 2011 15:25

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 7, 2011 17:28

Thanks for posting the interview, Proud Mary. It seems to be a Google translation, but it was still an interesting read. I'll be curious to learn more facts about the project as release grows closer.

Date: June 14, 2011 12:13

Slightly OT but interesting

Mick Jagger starts up with CAA
Jagged Films comes over from ICM
By JUSTIN KROLL
[www.variety.com]
Mick Jagger and his production company, Jagged Films, have inked with CAA, which will represent the Rolling Stones frontman's solo music projects in addition to his films.
Jagger comes over from ICM, which had repped Jagger's movie ventures only. He's stayed busy in the film world, including acting credits in "Bent," "The Man From Elysian Fields" and "Enigma," which he also produced.

Jagged Films currently has "The Long Play" in development for HBO, which Terence Winter will pen and Martin Scorsese will direct; and "Tiny Problems of White People," to which Jagger and Colin Firth are attached to star.

Date: June 14, 2011 12:14

FYI, this is actually thread number three about the subject.

Date: June 14, 2011 12:35

...and still no music to be heard!!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: June 14, 2011 12:36

DandelionPowderman

I don't know what FYI means but I've already explained that two threads about this subject actually turned into something that is irrelevant to the subject itself,i.e. Jagger's solo project. There is no point to post there anything about this topic.
In any case, if you're not interested in this topic and I personally annoying to you, you can safely ignore me and read and enjoy threads about football, hockey and thoughtful reflections on how much songs to throw out off every Stones album

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-14 12:37 by proudmary.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 14, 2011 12:42

proudmary
I don't know what FYI means

For Your Information?

Date: June 14, 2011 13:21

proudmary
DandelionPowderman

I don't know what FYI means but I've already explained that two threads about this subject actually turned into something that is irrelevant to the subject itself,i.e. Jagger's solo project. There is no point to post there anything about this topic.
In any case, if you're not interested in this topic and I personally annoying to you, you can safely ignore me and read and enjoy threads about football, hockey and thoughtful reflections on how much songs to throw out off every Stones album

confused smiley

WTF, did you get up with the wrong foot today or what??

I only tried to explain that there is one other thread on this topic that hasn´t grown irrelevant, as you posted yourself. Why make a thread number three?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-14 13:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 14, 2011 13:57

DandelionPowderman

I only tried to explain that there is one other thread on this topic that hasn´t grown irrelevant, as you posted yourself. Why make a thread number three?

Oh man, this is gonna be Super Heavy smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: June 14, 2011 14:39

This Super Heavy project does not sound interesting to me at all. Would rather have solo Jagger than this. Maybe that will change once some music leaks out.

Date: June 14, 2011 17:48

DandelionPowderman
proudmary
DandelionPowderman

confused smiley

This other thread is called "superheavy or superlame?"(or smth. like this with an obvious negative connotation) and on my opinion it is rather a place for those who hate the very idea of Mick's solo career, and those who want to argue with this opinion. I, for one, would like to see this thread become a place where one can post news about Super Heavy. Especially since there will be more news soon.

Date: June 14, 2011 18:04

shame that no one paid attention to an article from Variety. The fact that Mick has signed a contract with CAA, which will represent his solo music projects in addition to his films speaks for itself.
Until he didn't think about his solo career there was no one who represent it, and once someone has appeared who will represent it, so Mick is going to take it seriously.
In addition, I wonder what this project with Colin Firth is about and even more interesting that the title of the project includes the word tiny.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 14, 2011 18:23

Thanks for opening this new thread. I gave up reading the others.
Hopefully more interesting informations will come up soon.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 14, 2011 19:25

proudmary
shame that no one paid attention to an article from Variety. The fact that Mick has signed a contract with CAA, which will represent his solo music projects in addition to his films speaks for itself.
Until he didn't think about his solo career there was no one who represent it, and once someone has appeared who will represent it, so Mick is going to take it seriously.
In addition, I wonder what this project with Colin Firth is about and even more interesting that the title of the project includes the word tiny.
The only problem is Jagger doesn't have much of a solo career and it's a little late to be starting one now. It's a shame him and Keith can't put aside some petty differences and makes some new music together. The Clarence Clemons situation makes me think about the Stones. What happens if God forbid,one of the last remaining Stones gets terribly sick? Right now all 4 are still relatively healthy and fairly active on their own and still have a large base of fans who want to see them play. All this Jagger solo stuff is just oppoprtunity lost for Stones work.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 14, 2011 19:45

sweetcharmedlife
Jagger doesn't have much of a solo career

He started solo work in the 60's (production work for other artists), published his first solo record in 1970, had 4 studios albums, various collaboration outside the Stones... If you add the fact that he almost never stopped working with the Stones, this is not such a bad solo career.

sweetcharmedlife
All this Jagger solo stuff is just oppoprtunity lost for Stones work.

One can also see his solo work as one of the reasons that made the Stones last until now.

Date: June 14, 2011 19:46

kowalski
sweetcharmedlife

He started solo work in the 60's (production work for other artists), published his first solo record in 1970, had 4 studios albums, various collaboration outside the Stones... If you add the fact that he almost never stopped working with the Stones, this is not such a bad solo career.

sweetcharmedlife

One can also see his solo work as one of the reasons that made the Stones last until now.
He may be working but the success of his solo material has always been poor.

Date: June 14, 2011 20:51

Keith's film and music projects are represented by William Morris, now Mick's are repped by CAA. Nothing new. The Stones haven't cut an album in six years and haven't toured in four. Mick and Keith haven't retired, but Prince Rupert has. Seen in that light, it was a natural decision for Mick to take and one that probably should have happened a couple years ago.

Date: June 14, 2011 21:17

Slightly OT but may be relevant

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Property and industrial mogul Len Blavatnik puts his money in musicNew owner of Warner Music has a mixed track record with UK media businesses

Juliette Garside The Guardian, Monday 13 June 2011

The week after becoming America's newest music mogul with a $3.3bn deal to buy Warner Music, Len Blavatnik swapped his New York office for the Cannes film festival. The Russian-born American billionaire had invited Sarah Jessica Parker, Jane Fonda, Melanie Griffith and her husband Antonio Banderas aboard his yacht, the Odessa.

They were attending the annual Business of Film Lunch, which Blavatnik co-hosts with his friend Harvey Weinstein. The event was in full swing when Mick Jagger arrived by boat, uninvited and with a handful of friends in tow.

Rock royalty he may be, but Jagger was turned away. It was a moment that quietly underlined the degree of influence Blavatnik has acquired in the entertainment business.

The last decade has seen his investment company, Access Industries, take a growing interest in the telecoms, media and entertainment space. But no acquisitions on the scale of Warner Music.

"He is risking a third of his fortune on a number three business in an industry that is headed for a precipice," says analyst Alice Enders. "It shows entrepreneurial spirit. He may know something we don't."

Blavatnik's ability to make money from property and heavy industry is proven – he was worth £6.2bn at the last count. But his investments in UK media businesses have mixed results.

A US citizen who describes himself as an industrialist and philanthropist and rejects the term oligarch, Blavatnik, 53, was born in Ukraine but emigrated with his family to the US as a young man. He was educated at Harvard, earned a small fortune from New York real estate, and a larger one from Russian oil and aluminium.

"He moves very quickly and he's a very tough negotiator," says a sports executive who has dealt with Blavatnik. "He's quite an urbane, cultured guy. Very shrewd but a pleasant person to be around."

Since outbidding Roman Abramovich on a £41m house in Kensington Palace Gardens in 2004, he has spent more time in the UK and Access Industries now owns stakes in three British media companies.

They are Icon Film Distribution UK, the former international arm of Mel Gibson's Icon Group, pay-tv operator Top Up TV and digital sports rights firm Perform Group. Access also has sizeable assets abroad, including Amedia, which makes Russian TV series, and leading Israeli channels business RGE Group.

While the UK investments do not tell the whole story, they do offer an insight into Blavatnik's approach.

Speaking to those who have worked with him, a picture emerges of a very hands-off proprietor. He meets most of his UK executives just once or twice a year, and the catch-ups often take place in New York.

The UK companies are under the day to day supervision of Dutchman Jörg Mohaupt, who joined Access in May 2007 from private equity group Providence Equity Partners. The two met a decade ago, while jointly investing in a Swedish broadband company, and the media and telecoms portfolio is very much Mohaupt's responsibility.

But the big decisions are taken by his boss. A British entrepreneur who decided against selling his company to Blavatnik says: "You are dealing with one high net worth individual as opposed to an institution."

When Top Up TV's co-founder and chairman, David Chance, was looking for a backer, it was Mohaupt, then still working at Providence, who put him in touch with Blavatnik. In 2006, Access took an estimated 70% stake.

The move was well timed. Top Up had valuable slots to broadcast channels on Freeview, which it had acquired from Channel 5 in 2003 and was in the process of selling back to the broadcaster at a handsome profit. The returns were handed to shareholders and Access received several times its initial investment.

Rival offerings

Top Up TV's consumer business – selling pay TV to Freeview households – has not presented a threat to rival offerings from Virgin Media and BSkyB since launching in 2004. To be fair, Chance always said he intended it to be a "niche" business. For one thing, Top Up cannot offer phone and internet connections. But it looks as if even the previously lacklustre BT Vision now has more customers. Communications watchdog Ofcom puts Top Up subscribers at the end of 2010 at 300,000. BT Vision reported 575,000 at the end of March, up nearly 100,000 on the year before.

Insiders say Blavatnik has walked away from deals that would have transformed Top Up. In 2009, when Setanta ran out of money, he stepped in with an offer of a reported £20m in exchange for a 51% stake. Top Up executives, including Chance, were expected to be given roles in a merged business.

Some say Setanta's owners wanted too high a price, others that the deal fell apart over technicalities. Perhaps Blavatnik balked at the scale of the commitment – supporting a company that could have continued to burn cash for years. So Setanta's British arm went to the wall.

"He's a conservative bloke and it was a big call," says an executive who has worked with Blavatnik. "He's fairly disinterested in Top Up. You want your rich benefactor to care. Rupert Murdoch is passionate about what he does for a living." The next deal may well be a sale. Fresh from acquiring Channel 5, Richard Desmond is thought to have looked at Top Up, and both Access and its management are understood to be ready for a change of ownership.

Blavatnik seems to have lost his enthusiasm for Icon too. The venture has been a disappointment for one of the British film industry's most respected figures, Stewart Till. A long serving chair of the UK Film Council, Till won Blavatnik's backing to create a major independent film distributor. It would buy Icon, then sweep up local players in Europe and the Far East.

Till spent more than a year in negotiations with Icon, eventually concluding the purchase in November 2009. Later, there was a deal to co-finance films with The Weinstein Co. But things turned sour when the recession caught up with the film business.

By November 2010 Till had moved from chief executive to chairman, and by January of this year, although he retains the title, he was no longer a director of the company. Icon's plans to buy other distributors are also on hold. A UK cinema executive who knows Till well says: "These guys are really tough. They are very shrewd but if they back you they want a quick return."

On a brighter note, Perform Group has done well, by finding a way to make money from the long tail of digital sports rights. Blavatnik bought a majority stake in July 2007 for an estimated £25m. Revenues more than doubled between 2008 and 2010, rising to £67m. There has been money for acquisitions – a merger with another group, and $30m for goal.com, the world's largest footballing website.

The shares are split between Blavatnik and staff, and in April they floated a 25% stake, establishing Perform's value at over £580m. The business model is promising. Perform buys the internet and mobile rights to cricket, football, tennis, golf and more from clubs and tournaments. It then either sells on highlights and live video of the events, or gives them away free in exchange for a share of the ad revenues. The big earner is selling video to betting websites for "in game" punts.

Peel Hunt analyst Patrick Yau says Access spotted a winner: "Their timing was good in that they bought into the business as it was becoming one of the world's main providers of sports content for online and mobile. They are an interesting blend of an outstanding technology platform and a focused online media strategy. There are some bigger traditional media groups out there that could learn lessons from Perform."

Blavatnik's approach to his small investments seems conservative and dispassionate. Yet post-communist Russia was no place for timidity, and he emerged with stakes in some of its biggest companies, oil group TNK-BP and aluminium giant UC RUSAL.

Recorded music

What is the thread that binds a string of small media properties to the big gamble at Warner Music? An Access spokesman says he wants businesses which exploit the internet. Models like Perform show the way the recorded music industry could go. "Access is interested in content and content platforms that have the potential to take advantage of new media market opportunities."

Blavatnik is not under time pressure, as Terra Firma was when Guy Hands was trying to do the same at EMI. Warner can be tinkered with for as long as it takes to turn the business around. And Blavatnik knows Warner well, having bought a small stake in 2004, when his billionaire friend Edgar Bronfman Jr took control. If anything, it was probably Bronfman who chose Blavatnik as his next shareholder.

During the 2007 auction of EMI, Blavatnik tried to enter the bidding at a late stage, but the company was bought by Terra Firma. Now he is expected to return for the British major, possibly by striking a quick deal direct with EMI's accidental owner Citigroup.

A good thing, then, that Jagger and his Rolling Stones are no longer signed to EMI. Although he could always try to lure them back with an invitation aboard the Odessa.

Date: June 14, 2011 23:04

sweetcharmedlife
kowalski
sweetcharmedlife

sweetcharmedlife

It just shows that not only the thirst for success is Mick's driving force

Pete Townshend in a recent interview responded to this, as if he heard what you said
“There’s a sense of being in front of a bunch of fans who really want to see you fight on stage, or scowl at each other, or die. They want to be there when you die.” I question this, but he remains convinced. “It’s the same with Mick and Keith. If tomorrow Mick Jagger would say, ‘That’s it, the Stones are finished,’ then people would look at him as being a completely different artist, and a different kind of human being. But why would you want to buy something by Mick? Actually what we really want is to observe him going through the agony of being on stage with Keith Richards on a bad night.”

I mention the success of Richards’s memoir. “The point is,” Townshend says, “when we read Keith Richards’s book, are we really reading who he is? James Fox [Richards’s ghost] is a brilliant writer. I think it’s sad that we will only remember Keith’s book because of what he said about the size of Mick’s [apparently modest] genitals. Which, by the way, to use an apt term, is bollocks. I’ve seen them, and they are not small. And it is not just the balls that are big.”

last paragraph is not quite relevant, but I could not resistwinking smiley.

How do you want after all this they work together? It's impossible. It is not Jagger with his solo work, it's Richards with his book and the desire to establish himself that killed all possibilities for the Stones. By the way, Keith is recording his solo album right now, isn't he?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 15, 2011 05:59

proudmary
sweetcharmedlife
kowalski
sweetcharmedlife

sweetcharmedlife

It just shows that not only the thirst for success is Mick's driving force

Pete Townshend in a recent interview responded to this, as if he heard what you said
“There’s a sense of being in front of a bunch of fans who really want to see you fight on stage, or scowl at each other, or die. They want to be there when you die.” I question this, but he remains convinced. “It’s the same with Mick and Keith. If tomorrow Mick Jagger would say, ‘That’s it, the Stones are finished,’ then people would look at him as being a completely different artist, and a different kind of human being. But why would you want to buy something by Mick? Actually what we really want is to observe him going through the agony of being on stage with Keith Richards on a bad night.”

I mention the success of Richards’s memoir. “The point is,” Townshend says, “when we read Keith Richards’s book, are we really reading who he is? James Fox [Richards’s ghost] is a brilliant writer. I think it’s sad that we will only remember Keith’s book because of what he said about the size of Mick’s [apparently modest] genitals. Which, by the way, to use an apt term, is bollocks. I’ve seen them, and they are not small. And it is not just the balls that are big.”

last paragraph is not quite relevant, but I could not resistwinking smiley.

How do you want after all this they work together? It's impossible. It is not Jagger with his solo work, it's Richards with his book and the desire to establish himself that killed all possibilities for the Stones. By the way, Keith is recording his solo album right now, isn't he?

I agree PM...all the Keith apologists out there never seem to have a problem with his incoherent rants and useless ramblings. If it had been Mick's book, and Mick has 'observed' that Keith had a less than useful todger, Mick would have been eviscerated here and everywhere else.

Keith is like a child, and we see him that way and he gets away with things. That doesn't mean Mick has to put up with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-14 06:32 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: June 15, 2011 09:33

Oh no not this again!

Come on!
We don't need this f*****g Super Heavy we need the Super Heavy Rolling Stones!

I'm bored! I need to hear and see the Stones on the road backing a new album!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Date: June 15, 2011 09:42

Establishing himself at the age of 67???

Some people here seemingly is not Rolling Stones fans, but fans of Mick, Keith or Taylor.

Let´s hope for the band hitting the road again. That´s all that matters to me, at least. If there´ll be another Winos-album or a Super Heavy-project that´s fine, but it´s not as important as the Stones getting back together again.

Date: June 15, 2011 15:17

Time to start a fifth Super Heavy thread.

Date: June 15, 2011 15:33

Rocky Dijon
Time to start a fifth Super Heavy thread.

winking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 15, 2011 21:27

Maybe another one... where the f.. is twenny when you need him (only joking)
byeee
jeroen

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 15, 2011 21:31

corriecas
where twenny when you need him (only joking)

Well, you can cut the joking. He is gone. Thank you Bjornulf.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 15, 2011 22:09

Rolling Hansie
corriecas
where twenny when you need him (only joking)

Well, you can cut the joking. He is gone. Thank you Bjornulf.
Your right. Wow,they're dropping like flies around here these days.

Date: June 15, 2011 22:29

I'd like to think it was all just a joke that went on for several hundred pages too long, but who knows. I won't miss the videos, but some of the prose was entertaining in an acid trip sorta way. I'm sure he'll return under yet another identity on this site or another as he's done in the past. His sabbaticals are never permanent.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home