Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 63
SuperHeavy Teaser (feat. Mick)
Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: June 25, 2011 02:47

sorry if that was posted before

Re: SuperHeavy Teaser (feat. Mick)
Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: June 25, 2011 03:18

Thanks for posting! Have not seen it before this. It just doesn't look interesting to me. Drop Joss Stone, Dave Stewart, AR Rahman, and Damian Marley and then I would be excited about it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-25 03:19 by spsimmons.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: June 25, 2011 03:22

At least we'll get to hear Jagger singing in Urdu. Always wondered what that would sound like.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 26, 2011 22:52

Slightly OT

Why have we fallen out of love with Joss Stone?
The alleged plot against Devon's soul superstar is just the latest chapter in the singer's increasingly uneasy relationship with her home country
By Andy Gill
Friday, 24 June 2011
[www.independent.co.uk]
So, what is it about Joss Stone? Exactly what has the British soul princess done to prompt an alleged plot to rob and physically harm her? The alleged plot was possibly prompted by the recent estimation, in the Sunday Times Rich List, of Stone being worth £9m – but that seems small beer compared to Daniel Radcliffe (£48m), his Harry Potter sidekick Rupert Grint (£24m) and even the embattled Cheryl Cole (£12m). So why choose Stone? Perhaps they assumed that, having a reputation as a lackadaisical hippie chick, she might be less security-conscious than other celebrities – both a softer target, and a softer touch. Who knows? But it's hardly likely to enamour the singer to her native land, which she perceives, with some justice, as adopting a rather spiteful attitude towards her success.

In large part, this antipathy is due to our version of what Australians call the Tall Poppy Syndrome, whereby those who excel are ruthlessly cut down to size. For musicians, the essential component in this is to have become successful in America first – not to have gained our permission, as it were, for their success (Radiohead being the classic example of an act which initially took UK flak for its US acclaim). In Joss Stone's case, this was crystallised by her catastrophic appearance at the 2007 Brit Awards, where her natural ditzy ingenuousness was exacerbated by being delivered in a broad American drawl: from golly-gosh to aaw-shucks, that most unforgivable of betrayals. Even the event's host, Russell Brand, no paragon himself, was moved to cast the first stone at Joss's glasshouse, referring to her as a "poor cow"; and the tabloids weren't far behind, lacerating her in the following morning's reports.

Stone herself was hurt and bemused. As she pointed out, she had been almost constantly in America since she was 14, and had naturally assimilated the dialect. "All I'm doing is working," she said. "At the end of the day, I don't give a @#$%& if people have a problem with my accent." But then she compounded the perceived offence by complaining that her country had turned its back on her. When that year's Introducing Joss Stone failed to perform as well as her previous albums, both of which had gone triple-platinum in Britain, she moaned on BBC radio, "The only country that hasn't liked it is my own... It's like coming home and having them be like, 'Go away, we don't like you'. It's the whole country, and it's like they're mad at me for being in the US."

As it happened, Britain wasn't the only country that didn't like Introducing Joss Stone. Though it charted higher than both its predecessors in the US, it failed to equal their platinum sales, a situation repeated in most other territories. The reason was probably that as her profile had risen, her work had lost some of its individual character: just as US residence wore down her distinctive Devonian accent, so too had it eroded the very characteristics that made her work special, sculpting her Southern Soul style to fit the mainstream R&B market.

When Steve Greenberg of EMI America first signed Stone in 2002, he recognised the deep-soul heritage in her voice, and helped protect it from the melismatic antics of modern R&B by entrusting the singer to soul veteran Betty Wright, best known for the classic "Clean Up Woman". Wright put together a Miami session crew of 1970s soul legends such as Timmy Thomas, Latimore and Willie "Little Beaver" Hale, whose light, swampy funk settings brought out echoes of Southern soul belles like Mavis Staples and Dorothy Moore in Stone's voice. In a pop landscape dominated by identikit R&B divas whose showboating style had lost touch with its emotional roots, Stone's powerhouse performances made a huge impact, ensuring that The Soul Sessions' success would be repeated on the follow-up, Mind Body & Soul.

Unfortunately, that wasn't as impressive – there were moves towards modern R&B, and Stone's first efforts as composer were lacklustre, with too many of the songs sounding forced, their conflicts bogus. It was as if she felt there needed to be some form of antagonism to animate their emotions, another great failing of modern R&B. She seemed to be always dissing suitors, rivals, even herself, when a simple assertion of devotion was often all that was needed. And much of the album was simply dull, leaving purchasers less likely to repeat their mistake the next time round. And in the case of the mediocre Introducing Joss Stone, their reluctance was prudent.

In the wake of its relative failure, Stone's disastrous Brits brouhaha, and her attempt to extricate herself from her contract with the ailing EMI, the record company effectively torpedoed her career by delaying the release of her fourth album, Colour Me Free!, for a year, whereupon it eventually bellyflopped into a lake of public indifference. Which was a shame, as it represented a distinct improvement on her last two albums: she had reverted to the retro-soul stylings of her debut, drawing on Miami and Memphis funk and soul sounds, incorporating a few well-chosen covers, while her songwriting partnership with fellow blue-eyed soulster Conner Reeves was starting to pay dividends. Unfortunately, few heard it, and while she continued to feature as a guest vocalist – most notably essaying a gripping "I Put a Spell on You" on Jeff Beck's last album – her own career seemed to be drifting rudderless as she set out under her own steam.

So it could be said that the alleged plan to assault Joss Stone is the best thing that could have happened to her: not only did it apparently fail miserably, it provided the kind of publicity that money can't buy, mere weeks before the release of her first album on her own Stoned Records label, the uninspiringly titled LP1. Recorded in a six-day burst of activity at Nashville's Blackbird Studio – a treasury of vintage instruments and equipment – it was co-produced by Joss with Dave Stewart, who as a borderline functioning space-cake himself, might be considered a risky choice for helmsman of a becalmed career. Stone herself has no qualms. "This is the most fun I've ever had making a record, with Crazy Dave Stewart at the helm – and yes, the players in Nashville are unbelievable!" she claims.

And to an extent, the results bear out her enthusiasm. Stewart's encyclopaedic knowledge of pop, soul and rock makes for a genuine fit with Stone's energy, enabling her to elide smoothly between genres in a way which recalls The Black Crowes' psychedelic Southern Soul raunch on albums like The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, albeit less indebted to any specific retro influences. It will be interesting to see how the album fares in Joss's homeland – though perhaps not quite as interesting as the forthcoming alliance which finds Stone partnered with Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart, Damian Marley and soundtrack composer A R Rahman as the cross-cultural supergroup Super Heavy. What do you suppose that's all about?

Date: June 27, 2011 09:42

By Stephen Jones
[www.musicweek.com]

Universal has lined up a worldwide radio and commercial release date of July 7 for Miracle Worker, the first single from a newly-launched supergroup
featuring Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart and Joss Stone.

Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack composer A R Rahman and reggae artist Damian Marley also feature as part of SuperHeavy, whose eponymous first album is due to be released via Universal’s A&M label on September 19.

Jagger told Music Week, “Dave really wanted to make a record with a different group of musicians; in other words, with different backgrounds of music. Instead of everyone being a rock musician, or basically a blues musician, or some other genre, he wanted to get as many genres together that would fit. I said,

‘It sounds like a good idea.’ I never thought it would actually happen.”

A&M UK managing director Orla Lee, who with her team is co-ordinating the project’s global roll-out, said the unique collection of the artists involved meant the campaign could target a wide range of fans both musically and geographically.

Lee, who also looks after The Rolling Stones for Universal, added, “On paper it maybe shouldn’t work but the combination of their voices together makes it work and when you look at it from a social-networking side

A R Rahman, for example, has 5m Facebook friends and The Rolling Stones 6.4m so you’ve got a truly global project.”

Ahead of the first single’s release, teaser images will roll out this week online and will include the album’s artwork, designed by American artist Shepard Fairey who was behind Barack Obama’s Hope poster for the 2008 US presidential election.

Other activity, including a video for the single, will follow in the run-up to SUPERHEAVY JAGGER HEADS UP A SUPERGROUP ALL SET TO PERFORM MIRACLES the album’s release.

SuperHeavy brings together Jagger and Stewart for the first time since they worked on the soundtrack to the 2004 remake of the movie Alfie, while Stewart explained to Music Week that Stone was an “obvious” addition to the group. “She’s such an incredible singer and spirit,” he said.

Marley’s involvement was born from Jagger and Stewart’s shared love of Jamaican music. “We’d always wanted a Jamaican musician because Mick and I are crazy about Jamaica and Jamaican music,” said Stewart.

As for Rahman, he ended up in the group as the album began to be recorded in his home city of Los Angeles and they crossed paths with him. “He brings so much musical knowledge, amazing musicianship, melody and singing power from a different culture,” Stewart explained.

In just the first six days together 26 songs were written by the collective, while recording spread from LA to the south of France, Turkey, Miami, the Caribbean and Chennai in India, the locations mirroring the variety of the musical and geographical backgrounds of the five members.

And, despite all those egos in the same studio, Jagger said they found a way of working harmoniously together.

“With five of you everyone has to give and take quite a lot. We tried to understand everyone wouldn’t be too egotistical, start throwing things around the studio, we wouldn’t have fights,” he said.

“We were writing a lot of stuff and throwing it away. I would say, ‘That’s rubbish, another cliché Joss,’ and she’d say, ‘Well, you come up with something then!’”

But what emerged, according to Jagger, was something refreshing for everyone involved. “We’re four vocalists. We’ve never worked like that before. It’s great because the whole burden’s not on you and that made it fun.”

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 27, 2011 10:54

proudmary
Universal has lined up a worldwide radio and commercial release date of July 7

Cool, now I am getting really curious.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 27, 2011 11:51

VOODOOSEBI
sorry if that was posted before

Yeah,it was posted by Caledonian Gonzo on page 2 of the thread smiling smiley
No big deal, I was the one who opened a thread to ask about Miracle Worker 's release date & didn't see the posts above smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-27 12:07 by SwayStones.

Re: Super Heavy with Mick Jagger
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 27, 2011 15:33

I have a feeling this may be good. I'm hoping at this point in his career, he wouldn't bother putting out crap.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 27, 2011 16:53

Rolling Stones facebook just added this photo :

Date: June 27, 2011 22:27

kowalski
Rolling Stones facebook just added this photo :

Great photo, thanks for sharing!

Date: June 27, 2011 23:22

Rolling Stones Facebook - really?
Great photo, btw

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: June 28, 2011 00:03

And again Bill is photoshopped out of the promo picture.
It's a shame they ignore his contribution to SH.

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 00:09

That photo has the look of Rock & Roll Circus shots .

Date: June 28, 2011 02:08

boston2006

Mick looks like he's 25 again on it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 28, 2011 02:09

Dave Stewart looks like Ringo ............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 03:02

Great article you posted Proudmary about the British seeming resentment toward success.
Is it some kind of national thing?
The Brits and especially the Aussies are notorious for turning on their stars.
I mean, its one thing to be cynical about fame and celebrity, but Joss Stone isn't some reality tv pseudo-celeb.

Date: June 28, 2011 04:18

kowalski
boston2006

Mick looks like he's 25 again on it.
thumbs up

Date: June 28, 2011 20:49

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: June 28, 2011 22:40

Mick will probably not been heard on all tracks.... grinning smiley
Someone turned his volume almost to zero.

And again Bill's name is Photoshopped into the word Bass.

Mr.Fancyman

Date: June 29, 2011 00:04

Dave Stewart on Super Heavy(and more)
Posted on Jun 28th 2011 by Kenneth Partridge
[www.spinner.com]

....You've said that you like being a behind-the-scenes man. That's not the impression many people have of Mick Jagger. With this SuperHeavy supergroup, was he able to be a team player, or was it hard for him not to be the star?

He was great about it, actually. Everybody was adding their parts. He joined in a big room where we were recording, and there was only a tiny few occasions where there was mixed opinion about what should happen in a certain song. It was a real flow that happened, flowing out of everybody. Most of it was born out of huge long jams we started a couple years ago. I might start it or Damian might start it, and these recordings would be like 40 minutes for one song. It wasn't until the next few times we all started going, "That was as good bit. Let's use that, and let's put this together." And lyrics started to come more and more, and it just started to build and build, and now we've got 18 great songs. We started mixing, and then we said, "These sound killer."

A lot of fans have speculated about what SuperHeavy might sound like. Is it primarily reggae-based?

Some of it is reggae-kind of Caribbean, dancehall feeling. And then it flips into bluesy rock, and suddenly an Indian string section comes in -- all in one song. Anybody I've played it for has gone, "Holy s---. I've never heard anything like this."

With regard to Mick's other band, the Rolling Stones, what are your thoughts on rockers continuing to tour into old age? You've spoken fondly of the old bluesmen, such as RL Burnside, who played into his twilight years. Should the Stones be allowed to do likewise?

Yeah, I think these guys should do whatever they want to do, whenever they want to do it. They're true pioneers and legends, and just like RL Burnside and lots of my favorite blues players, any recordings of them, or last recordings, would be valuable to me.

Are there plans to tour behind SuperHeavy?

We're talking about how to perform such an epic fusion of sounds. There's lots of talk of different ways, almost like a happening, and I think when we do something, it'll be a happening. And it will have all sorts of people intersecting from different cultures and different walks of life and different ages, because of the fusion....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 29, 2011 00:04

mrfancyman

Mr.Fancyman
Keith?winking smiley

Date: June 29, 2011 00:51

stupidguy2
Great article you posted Proudmary about the British seeming resentment toward success.
Is it some kind of national thing?
The Brits and especially the Aussies are notorious for turning on their stars.
I mean, its one thing to be cynical about fame and celebrity, but Joss Stone isn't some reality tv pseudo-celeb.

I remember reading an interview with Jagger in which he talked about this British phenomenon. He said that as only an English being successful in the world, in England immediately begin to despise him/her/them

Date: June 29, 2011 00:55

I love Mick, but this all sounds pretentious. Like Mick has been spending too much time in exotic locales and wants to expand his horizons. I want to like it, but, on paper, it just seems like a self-indulgent mess: the reggae guy, the Indian composer, the soul.....who else am i missing? Oh yeah, Dave Stewart. I may be surprised, but Mick has gone down that lofty road before.....

Date: June 29, 2011 01:11

stupidguy2
I love Mick, but this all sounds pretentious. Like Mick has been spending too much time in exotic locales and wants to expand his horizons. I want to like it, but, on paper, it just seems like a self-indulgent mess: the reggae guy, the Indian composer, the soul.....who else am i missing? Oh yeah, Dave Stewart. I may be surprised, but Mick has gone down that lofty road before.....

I do not know, you have a bias against Stewart. In my opinion he is not so bad, and they had some good songs with Mick. But is not the case.
After Keith's antics Mick had a choice - to wipe shit from his face and pretend that everything is fine and he's ready to the Stones album /tour
or to do something else. It was already at work, so ...
I hope that it will be good.

Date: June 29, 2011 01:18

To me it looks like Mick is only a part of this project. It's nothing like a solo album. Obviously they won't tour or they'll do just a few shows. So I don't think it will affect any Stones future reunion if this has to happen.

Date: June 29, 2011 01:47

proudmary
stupidguy2

I do not know, you have a bias against Stewart. In my opinion he is not so bad, and they had some good songs with Mick. But is not the case.
After Keith's antics Mick had a choice - to wipe shit from his face and pretend that everything is fine and he's ready to the Stones album /tour
or to do something else. It was already at work, so ...
I hope that it will be good.

I hope im surprised. ANd yes, I do have a bias against DS. He's bland. That's his biggest sin, because his relationship with Mick has ensured that will work together for eternity. IMO, Mick is best with those who challenge him, like Rick Rubin....but Jagger seems to stick with what's safe. And you can't get more safe than Dave Stewart.
I think he's working with the wrong Eurythymic....
Annie Lennox was the innovator in that group.

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: June 29, 2011 03:14

a little teaser....
"miracle worker"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 29, 2011 03:36

stupidguy2

I'm the opposite. The more I read about it, the more I'm thinking it sounds pretty good. The last thing Mick should be doing as a non-Stones project is making something that sounds like...The Rolling Stones.

Your other post mentioned that Jagger 'seems to stick with whats safe'. I cant see whats so 'safe' about this. Its TOTALLY unlike anything he's ever done before.

Date: June 29, 2011 03:41

sweetcharmedlife
mrfancyman

Mr.Fancyman
Keith?winking smiley

Good eye!
Did you notice Mick's guitar is also on zero?!
This is definitely a conspiracy!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 29, 2011 05:14

FoolToCry
a little teaser....
"miracle worker"
quote]

..thx!...like what I hear so far

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2154
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home