Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 63
Re: Super Heavy
Date: June 22, 2011 21:07

proudmary
CaledonianGonzo
Apologies if posted already:

Wow! It sounds intriguing.Interestingly in this teaser does not emphasize the star presence of Jagger.He is only visible from the back

Super Heavy is obviously a Dave Stewart directed effort. I'm guessing that he led most of the sessions. The "teaser" really shows very little. Jagger perhaps sings on some tunes but doesnt come across as the musical director for this project.

As someone else pointed out, Stewart stating that the SUPERHEAVY album came to him as a vision while standing on top of a hill in the Caribbean is beyond absurd and patently adolescent. Stewart sounds like someone who visualized the double helical structure of DNA 30 years after it was solved. If this is how how he want to "sell" the band and the concept {world music is hardly a novel concept}, so be it.

The post on Stewart being the "man who is everyhwere" was a good one. I'm not convinced that Dave Stewart is some kind of wunderkind. His Blackcbird Diaries however shows a lot of promise. [theblackbirddiaries.com] . I like the sound on all the soundbytes in the trailer.

I expect Superheavy to have at least some of the elements of Blackbird Dairies. But with so many different styles, it might be more fusion-conufusion than anything else. Jagger did note in a earlier interview that some of it was accessible. My guess is that there will be a few pleasant and catchy tunes. All in all, I await this release with enthusiasm

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 22, 2011 21:20

To ProudMary: yes, SuperHeavy was conceived as a band with that name and with the possibility of touring as a band three years ago. You can find the info at IORR doing an archive search.

Of course, Mick always talks about doing a solo tour. He hasn't actually bothered to do so in 23 years. Unless something concrete comes together on that front soon, I'm still expecting just showcase concerts and TV appearances at the most to help sell the album.

To Dali: huge difference between 1988 and 2011. Mick and Keith aren't in their forties anymore and the Stones still had a recording contract in 1988. That year was also filled with business meetings and rumors of a likely reunion the following year as soon as Keith finshed his album and supported it with a short 6-week tour of small halls. We have nothing comparable going on today to make us think that the 50th anniversary means as much to them as it does us.

More so, with Mick yet to launch SuperHeavy and Keith only in the early stages of a solo album, they are not likely on task to clear the deck of solo projects by the end of the year. Even if they did, the likelihood they would then try to negotiate a new recording contract and start planning a tour is slim unless the plan is for 2013 and not 2012.

My guess would be they will keep on as they have done for the last few years. The four of them will stay busy as the likelihood of an actual reunion grows slimmer and slimmer. Not that you'll be able to tell here. The faithful will keep believing they are ageless and one more go-round will happen until one of the three original members die and even then we will have a few nutjobs who will fight for the survivors to continue to use the name. Hell, look how many posts and threads have called for Keith to gracefully retire so the band can continue.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 22, 2011 22:34

Rocky Dijon
To ProudMary: yes, SuperHeavy was conceived as a band with that name and with the possibility of touring as a band three years ago. You can find the info at IORR doing an archive search.

hey, you're right! I've found it

"Re: rolling stones 2010 really confirmed?
Date: December 22, 2009 02:23

The Mick solo project is his sizable role as co-songwriter and one of the lead vocalists in the "band" Super Heavy that Dave Stewart put together. There is supposed to be a CD and some shows by the group next year. It isn't a real band so much as a promotional gimmick for Nokia to move into the entertainment business. Dave Stewart works for them and the project is another chance for Mick and Dave to showcase some of their songs. Mick sings a duet with Joss Stone (again) for the disc. Jeff Beck allegedly plays some guitar on the album. One track is believed to be called "You Run, Run, Run Me Down" and there is also supposed to be a cover of Hendrix's "Sweet Angel." Both tracks were played at one of L'wren's fashion shows last summer."

still no one could foresee that this project will be discussed instead of Stones anniversary tour

Date: June 22, 2011 22:55

There's more than just that. I think Teddy gave us some facts early on. Nico noted on his site some of the earlier sessions (but not all that have been reliably reported) and Dave Stewart has continued to drop mentions of the band's name and who the members are over the last few years pretty much every time he speaks.

Google Jagger and Super Heavy (at one time it was Super Heavyweight) or Google Jagger, Dave Stewart, and Nokia and you'll find magazine articles and messageboards and online news sites with the info going back to just after SHINE A LIGHT's release.

I posted about Super Heavy quite a lot over the last few years because I didn't think it was going to go away. The rumors back in 2008 of them playing the 2012 Olympics pretty much confirmed this was a long-term on-again, off-again project dependent on the participants' schedules.

I believe at the start it was only Mick and Dave and then Joss with the other partiicpants coming aboard gradually (despite the PR of how the band was created). I doubt the Hendrix cover or Jeff Beck are still part of the proceedings. There was also talk of a track sung by Mick and Joss being used by the UN for a charity album a couple years ago, but that didn't happen either.

I've been skeptical about an anniversary tour because of this, but especially because of the contractual situation. It just didn't make sense and the more time passes, the more it looks likely next year will not have a Stones tour.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: June 23, 2011 10:17

What I want to know is why Jagger is involved in this project? Is he getting back at Keith.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 23, 2011 11:06

tipps
Is he getting back at Keith.

For what ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 23, 2011 14:31

tipps
What I want to know is why Jagger is involved in this project? Is he getting back at Keith.

Probably Jagger wants to do something musically different than the rolling stones. A tour involves a lot of work/headaches for Jagger; maybe he is tired of that bullshit and wants to enjoy himself. Hopefully Keith is going to recod some new music too and in the end we will have more music to listen to. Mick and Keith will eventually work together again.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 23, 2011 16:42

Super Heavy = Super Bummer!

I find it very hard to hear & see Mick playing without the Rolling Stones...I really wish Mick and Keith
would work together again...Put their efforts into making a really great Rolling Stones album and
not in side projects that most fans could care less about..

Date: June 23, 2011 16:52

...but the tigers are out of the cage, to use Keith's analogy.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: June 23, 2011 17:22

CaledonianGonzo
Apologies if posted already:

Really donĀ“t sounds good. Oh Lord!

Date: June 23, 2011 17:26

To be fair, there's nothing to judge yet. I'll wait to hear the album and hope there will be a few keepers. Mick's remarks in NME give me some hope of that. I'm still expecting a mix of showcase numbers and duets. Mick mentions only singing one line of a dance track in another language. I'm thinking this will be more like the ALFIE soundtrack where we come away with a few Mick tracks. That's better than nothing.

Posted by: purepop ()
Date: June 23, 2011 18:26

I hear the first super heavy single, a reggae track a great summer time song!

Date: June 23, 2011 18:33

Do you mean the clip in the video?

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: June 23, 2011 19:20

I like everything I've heard from Super Heavy. The Facebook video has a lot of song clips and is interesting to watch. Can't wait to hear the complete songs!

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 23, 2011 19:26

so when does what come?

Date: June 23, 2011 19:34

September is the rumour.

Date: June 23, 2011 20:28

TrulyMicks
I like everything I've heard from Super Heavy. The Facebook video has a lot of song clips and is interesting to watch. Can't wait to hear the complete songs!

Can you post the link,pls

Date: June 23, 2011 20:31

I checked on FaceBook, I just see the Youtube Introduction to SuperHeavy clip that was posted here.

Date: June 23, 2011 20:40

There is 6min. video on YouTube "Superheavy countdown starts now" but I can't watch it

Date: June 23, 2011 20:41

I have the same restriction. It's not the one on the US FaceBook, that's the same old 56 second clip.

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: June 23, 2011 21:47

[superheavy.com]

A couple of days ago, this site was just a blank page with "superheavy" written in usual font. Now, there's the band logo.

Date: June 23, 2011 21:58

proudmary
There is 6min. video on YouTube "Superheavy countdown starts now" but I can't watch it

Hello,
This is the video that was available on facebook yesterday but isn't available today....[www.facebook.com] it sounded good! I don't have the greatest memory but I think it starts off with DS and Mick playing guitar and Joss yelling out...it showed quite a bit of what you see in the still shot here.....Mick sitting and playing the guitar and singing. Damien Marley does a song with Mick and Joss singing back-up and then at the end it shows a bunch of still photos from a band photoshoot. I wish it played more from each song but I think I heard rock, reggae, soul and world beat sounds. I can't wait to hear more...it was very uplifting and catchy imo. Great summer music...they should release it now!!

Date: June 23, 2011 22:04

Click on the band logo and you have a video now.

Date: June 23, 2011 22:15

TrulyMicks
proudmary

Hello,
This is the video that was available on facebook yesterday but isn't available today....[www.facebook.com] it sounded good! I don't have the greatest memory but I think it starts off with DS and Mick playing guitar and Joss yelling out...it showed quite a bit of what you see in the still shot here.....Mick sitting and playing the guitar and singing. Damien Marley does a song with Mick and Joss singing back-up and then at the end it shows a bunch of still photos from a band photoshoot. I wish it played more from each song but I think I heard rock, reggae, soul and world beat sounds. I can't wait to hear more...it was very uplifting and catchy imo. Great summer music...they should release it now!!

Thanks for the detailed description,TrulyMicks. Hope that soon it will be possible to see it with my own eyes (and hear).To the other hand, what's this stupid game? today - you can see it, you can't tomorrow.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 23, 2011 22:22

dammit, I really want to see that private video!!

Date: June 23, 2011 22:33

proudmary
TrulyMicks
proudmary

Hello,

Thanks for the detailed description,TrulyMicks. Hope that soon it will be possible to see it with my own eyes (and hear).To the other hand, what's this stupid game? today - you can see it, you can't tomorrow.

You're welcome! I imagine it'll be available soon for all. I don't really think of it as a game...it probably wasn't supposed to be viewable yesterday and when someone realized it was, they "fixed" it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 23, 2011 22:43

Rolling Hansie
tipps
Is he getting back at Keith.

For what ?

Thought it was well known but ... the rumor was that the stones were going to have another album & tour again, in 2010... then the rumor changed to say it 2011 ... then Keith's book came out, lots of press about derogatory marks about Keith ... no more stones rumors, now they are involved in solo projects. Doesn't seem like a stretch to wonder if this has anything to do with the book. It's definitely a possibility anyway.

Date: June 23, 2011 22:46

Lorenz

That's the point, I think. Even if you do not care for Super Heavy, you still want to see something that is intended only for the "chosen ones"

Date: June 23, 2011 22:51

Except Mick and Dave Stewart started mixing the Super Heavy album in LA in February this year. It was recorded on and off over the past three years. This isn't a project Mick ran to because Keith hurt his feelings. This has been in the works since just after SHINE A LIGHT was released.

And the rumors about another Stones album and tour aren't too convincing when they don't have a recording contract or a tour promoter working on sponsers. The Stones have been on hold for awhile. Mick is finally getting up to speed with this project while Keith is just starting his own.

Never mind rumors and sound bytes, this is the reality part. From that perspective Charlie concentrating on his boogie-woogie band and Ronnie splitting his time between the reformed Faces and his own solo career make a great deal of sense. I'm not seeing a lapping tongue on the horizon.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 23, 2011 22:58

proudmary
Lorenz

That's the point, I think. Even if you do not care for Super Heavy, you still want to see something that is intended only for the "chosen ones"

or they just released it too early by accident. a pity no one has downloaded this before it became private! I actually do care for Super Heavy, it could for once be a proper effort from Mick.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home