Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Sacred Cows: artists you're supposed to like, but don't.
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 20, 2011 18:22

StonesTod
Gazza
Palace Revolution 2000
I feel like I am supposed to like Jerry Nolan; a hipness thing. But I have to admit (and I hate it) that I think he is a lousy drummer. Even scarier is that he replaced Billy Murcia, and was considered lightyears better than him; how bad was Billy Murcia then?
But no one probably cares about that story.

Two people I really don't like are Rory Gallagher and Johnny Winter. And I have tried.

To a certain generation of music fans in Ireland, Rory Gallagher has something of a godlike status. I seem to be one of the few atheists.

Dont get me wrong. His qualities as a musician go without saying - he was brilliant. Great performer too, by all accounts. And a wonderful human being. He pretty much kept the live music scene in Northern Ireland alive single handedly in the 70s when few acts would set foot in the place. For that reason alone, there should be statues erected to him.

I just dont think he made good records.

hmmm...sounds like the typical commentary from a brit about an irishman....

>grinning smiley<

Yep..'a wonderful human being' who should have 'statues erected to him'.

You hear that all the time!!

Posted by: donteverstop ()
Date: April 20, 2011 18:29

The Beatles.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 20, 2011 18:38

Gazza
Thricenay
Gazza
Palace Revolution 2000
I feel like I am supposed to like Jerry Nolan; a hipness thing. But I have to admit (and I hate it) that I think he is a lousy drummer. Even scarier is that he replaced Billy Murcia, and was considered lightyears better than him; how bad was Billy Murcia then?

Two people I really don't like are Rory Gallagher and Johnny Winter. And I have tried.

To a certain generation of music fans in Ireland, Rory Gallagher has something of a godlike status. I seem to be one of the few atheists.

Dont get me wrong. His qualities as a musician go without saying - he was brilliant. Great performer too, by all accounts. And a wonderful human being. He pretty much kept the live music scene in Northern Ireland alive single handedly in the 70s when few acts would set foot in the place. For that reason alone, there should be statues erected to him.

I think I know what you mean. I have fond memories of seeing him 'live' in Belfast and London, but there are quite a few problems with his discography. The albums with electric piano sound a bit... how do I put this... crap. All his albums are too long (52, 54 minutes), if you've heard one you've heard them all, and the bassist and drummer were average at best.

One of the strangest revelations after his death was finding out that Bob Dylan owned a copy of every record Rory ever made. He obviously hears something I don't.

Odd in that case that Bob never attempted to hire him. You saw Gallagher in Belfast? Are you from there?

I lived there when I was younger. The gig in question was at the Ulster Hall in (I think) 1980.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 20, 2011 18:45

71Tele
NICOS
mickscarey
1. the beetles
2. queen
3. dead
4. hendrix
5. eagles

I can understand 1,2,3 and 5 but Hendrix?????

Explain me old friend mc

You can understand 1? I can't...

No ofcours I can't understand 1, but what the use to debat this

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 20, 2011 18:45

Gazza
StonesTod
Gazza
Palace Revolution 2000

hmmm...sounds like the typical commentary from a brit about an irishman....

>grinning smiley<

Yep..'a wonderful human being' who should have 'statues erected to him'.

You hear that all the time!!

well, there is a little monument to honor him in cork...but nothing like the huge statue of srv that graces the waterfront here in austin....

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 20, 2011 18:53

jabhead
I would never trust anyone who doesn't like either The Grateful Dead or Baseball!
You wouldn't like Britain much then......'baseball' (or at least the nearest we have to it here) is played only in primary (Elementry) school and later only by girls and is called rounders..........

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 20, 2011 19:06

EddieByword
jabhead
I would never trust anyone who doesn't like either The Grateful Dead or Baseball!
You wouldn't like Britain much then......'baseball' (or at least the nearest we have to it here) is played only in primary (Elementry) school and later only by girls and is called rounders..........

Yes, but Derby F.C. used to play its games at The Baseball Grounds.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 20, 2011 19:42

Keep your day job till your night job pays. Cuz your comedy is worthless! - No Expectations.

Hey Buddy, I am one funny mofo. And so are you. Thank you for posting that U.S. Blues video. I think that song crystallizes everything I've ever said about the Grateful Dead. You're quite the subversive, aren't you? Pretending to like them and then showing visual and audio documentation that rapes them and leaves them looking silly. Someone has been reading Jonathan Swift and then applying it to a modern setting. Bravo.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 20, 2011 20:07

24FPS
Keep your day job till your night job pays. Cuz your comedy is worthless! - No Expectations.

Hey Buddy, I am one funny mofo. And so are you. Thank you for posting that U.S. Blues video. I think that song crystallizes everything I've ever said about the Grateful Dead. You're quite the subversive, aren't you? Pretending to like them and then showing visual and audio documentation that rapes them and leaves them looking silly. Someone has been reading Jonathan Swift and then applying it to a modern setting. Bravo.[/quot

I hate to burst your bubble "pal" but I didn't post ths US Blues video! Try and keep up....

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 20, 2011 20:15

Foo Fighters...only where they are because of the connection with Nirvana - pile of shit and the songs are so weak. While I'm at it...The Doors, some good songs but an awful lot of rubbish...oh and Velvet Unfroung, always sounded tinny and feeble, despite a handful of decent songs. Better stop now before I moe on to Aerosmith!

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: April 20, 2011 20:20

Ah Crumbling, you had me when you were hatin' on the dreadful Foos, but then lost me when you went after my beloved Doors.

To the person upthread who said Beatles: you are brave. I like them AND their music, but they are the most sacred of sacred cows.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 20, 2011 20:58

71Tele
EddieByword
jabhead

That is true of course - I don't know the history of that - maybe you do ? I'll have to google it and see why.. I think Derby F.C.(Football club) is at least 100 years old, hmm ...maybe we used to play it but then forgot about it as football caught on in a big way.....

Sure enough...used for baseball for 8 years ...1890 - 1898.... [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 21:04 by EddieByword.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 20, 2011 21:02

No Expectations
24FPS

Hey Buddy, I am one funny mofo. And so are you. Thank you for posting that U.S. Blues video. I think that song crystallizes everything I've ever said about the Grateful Dead. You're quite the subversive, aren't you? Pretending to like them and then showing visual and audio documentation that rapes them and leaves them looking silly. Someone has been reading Jonathan Swift and then applying it to a modern setting. Bravo.[/quot

I hate to burst your bubble "pal" but I didn't post ths US Blues video! Try and keep up....

See, you are so sharp. Maybe my limited intellect is incapable of understanding the emotional complexity of Grateful Dead lyrics. And thank you for hating to burst my bubble, "friend".

Date: April 20, 2011 21:03

EddieByword
71Tele
EddieByword
jabhead

That is true of course - I don't know the history of that - maybe you do ? I'll have to google it and see why.. I think Derby F.C.(Football club) is at least 100 years old, hmm ...maybe we used to play it, exported it to the U.S. and then forgot about it as football caught on in a big way.....

Sure enough...used for baseball for 8 years ...1890 - 1898.... [en.wikipedia.org]

I only know about this because of the movie "Damned United". I think a version of baseball was popular in the UK for a while in the late 1880s, then went out of favor while it took off in the U.S. (I'm in the baseball business peripherally). I thought it was interesting that their fixture was called that, so I looked it up. Sure enough, it was built for baseball originally. Anyone know more about this?

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 20, 2011 22:36

24FPS
No Expectations
24FPS

See, you are so sharp. Maybe my limited intellect is incapable of understanding the emotional complexity of Grateful Dead lyrics. And thank you for hating to burst my bubble, "friend".

Your welcome, "comrade". I don't think it's a matter of being "incapable of understanding" but more a refusal to try.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world,
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own.
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the mornin brings,
But the heart has it's seasons, it's evenins and songs of it's own.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 20, 2011 23:17

71Tele
EddieByword
71Tele
EddieByword
jabhead

That is true of course - I don't know the history of that - maybe you do ? I'll have to google it and see why.. I think Derby F.C.(Football club) is at least 100 years old, hmm ...maybe we used to play it, exported it to the U.S. and then forgot about it as football caught on in a big way.....

I only know about this because of the movie "Damned United". I think a version of baseball was popular in the UK for a while in the late 1880s, then went out of favor while it took off in the U.S. (I'm in the baseball business peripherally). I thought it was interesting that their fixture was called that, so I looked it up. Sure enough, it was built for baseball originally. Anyone know more about this?

A bit more here - [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 20, 2011 23:55

StonesTod
His Majesty
poor songs and shallow showmanship.

that probably explains why the band never really took after after the jones era.

Huh? confused smiley

Date: April 21, 2011 00:06

His Majesty
StonesTod
His Majesty

that probably explains why the band never really took after after the jones era.

Huh? confused smiley

sarcasm, i think it's called....

Date: April 21, 2011 00:35

Gazza
[Yes, but Derby F.C. used to play its games at The Baseball Grounds.

I only know about this because of the movie "Damned United". I think a version of baseball was popular in the UK for a while in the late 1880s, then went out of favor while it took off in the U.S. (I'm in the baseball business peripherally). I thought it was interesting that their fixture was called that, so I looked it up. Sure enough, it was built for baseball originally. Anyone know more about this?[/quote]

A bit more here - [en.wikipedia.org][/quote]

Thanks Gazza...I own a company that makes vintage baseball jerseys and caps, so I will have to do authentic Derby line. This is great!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 21, 2011 00:36

StonesTod
His Majesty
StonesTod
His Majesty

Huh? confused smiley

Maybe after after.

Date: April 21, 2011 00:56

His Majesty
StonesTod
His Majesty
StonesTod
His Majesty

Huh? confused smiley

Maybe after after.

or after that

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: April 21, 2011 04:12

71Tele
jabhead

Well, I love the baseball, so you can half trust me.

If you love Baseball You can be trusted 100 percent!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 21, 2011 04:39

For me I'll say with a few exceptions the Grateful Dead are at the top of this list for me.

Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen I don't get either.

Also:
Queen
Pink Floyd with the exception of Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and the Wall - What is with 1/2 hour of echoes????
Michael Jackson - Talented but way overated
PHISH - I think they are BORING
The Police

Date: April 21, 2011 05:25

Gazza
Palace Revolution 2000

That kind of explains it for me, Gazza. Because I never saw him live; yet saw that he had a very hard loyal fanbase. I knew him only from his records, and just didn't get it.

But now, with Taste I think the recordings did him justice.

Date: April 21, 2011 05:29

Turdontherun
Palace Revolution 2000
You can hear Billy Murcia play the drums on some of the demos -- for example Lipstick Killers: The Mercer Street Sessions -- the Dolls recorded before their first album. And yes: he might not be the greatest drummer ever OR at times even adequate. It is, well, the opposite of "virtuous" (or "tight", for that matter).

Yeah Turd, I got those recordings. I have quite a lot of pre-official album recordings by them. And no, Billy was not a good drummer, LOL.
I just recently finished reading the Dolls bio ( Kris Needs'"Trash"), and the case is made how much better Nolan was considered. And I have just never thought him very good or tight.
One thing that was new to me from the book, was that Nolan ruined most recordings he was involved with, by insisting on over-mixing; in the wrong direction.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 21, 2011 06:06

Palace Revolution 2000

One thing that was new to me from the book, was that Nolan ruined most recordings he was involved with, by insisting on over-mixing; in the wrong direction.

meaning that he insisted on having the drums too loud in the mix, or he insisted on making the mixes too slick and overdone?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 21, 2011 07:19

71Tele
No Expectations
1) Hippie Dancing?? A further expression of your stereotyping attitude

2) Keith....he was killed in a car accident...another example of your ignorance!

3) Yes I do

It is not stereotyping to say you just don't think something is very good. Nor does one need to be ignorant. For example, I was making fun of the fact that the Dead had six different keyboardists. Seems like a rather high-risk job...And that person was hippie-dancing on the stage. It is an observation. I find their music uninteresting and the Jerry-worship and mythologizing hypocritical and silly. Sorry, you obviously are offended, but this is about "sacred cows" and the Dead certainly are that to many people, and you've proven the idea wonderfully with your responses to me. One must be "ignorant" or "stereotyping" to criticize them I suppose.

Some of us Dead fans realize that, on some nights, they just plain stunk. There are plenty of recordings circulating on the internet and official releases (Ripple on Fillmore '71) where the Dead are WILDLY out of tune. And I'm no casual fan: I ordered the Europe '72 box set.

Date: April 21, 2011 07:51

ab
71Tele
No Expectations

2) Keith....he was killed in a car accident...another example of your ignorance!

3) Yes I do

It is not stereotyping to say you just don't think something is very good. Nor does one need to be ignorant. For example, I was making fun of the fact that the Dead had six different keyboardists. Seems like a rather high-risk job...And that person was hippie-dancing on the stage. It is an observation. I find their music uninteresting and the Jerry-worship and mythologizing hypocritical and silly. Sorry, you obviously are offended, but this is about "sacred cows" and the Dead certainly are that to many people, and you've proven the idea wonderfully with your responses to me. One must be "ignorant" or "stereotyping" to criticize them I suppose.

Some of us Dead fans realize that, on some nights, they just plain stunk. There are plenty of recordings circulating on the internet and official releases (Ripple on Fillmore '71) where the Dead are WILDLY out of tune. And I'm no casual fan: I ordered the Europe '72 box set.

Whatever we all feel about the Dead in general, I think we can agree that they could be wildly uneven - especially in their later years. When you have the entire energy of the band rest so much on one person, that person can really be the deciding factor in whether it's going to be a good night or a bad one. Obviously, the Dead are not alone in this scenario. I love Bob Dylan, but how he has continued to take people's money in the last ten years is a mystery to me. He no longer even attempts to sing, and last time I saw him, he stood like a statue behind a keyboard. Unfortunately our own Rolling Stones have had similar events, with the exception that their front man always seems to rise to the occasion and cover a multitude of sins, at least for the uninitiated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-21 07:52 by 71Tele.

Date: April 21, 2011 15:12

71Tele
ab
71Tele
No Expectations

3) Yes I do

Whatever we all feel about the Dead in general, I think we can agree that they could be wildly uneven - especially in their later years. When you have the entire energy of the band rest so much on one person, that person can really be the deciding factor in whether it's going to be a good night or a bad one. Obviously, the Dead are not alone in this scenario. I love Bob Dylan, but how he has continued to take people's money in the last ten years is a mystery to me. He no longer even attempts to sing, and last time I saw him, he stood like a statue behind a keyboard. Unfortunately our own Rolling Stones have had similar events, with the exception that their front man always seems to rise to the occasion and cover a multitude of sins, at least for the uninitiated.

are you a dead fan or not, tele? you seem to have very strong opinions about their music.... that would suggest you have listened to them alot.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home