Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Sacred Cows: artists you're supposed to like, but don't.
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 14, 2011 21:24

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza
Grateful Dead - In theory I should love them. Fan-friendly, random setlists, great connection with roots/traditional music. I also love Garcia's guitar playing. I respect them, but I just dont think they make great records. And their songs just tend to go on for far too long.

Janis Joplin - OK, there's a lot to feel sorry there because she was such a tragic figure. But as much as I like blues-wailing and no matter how much I can appreciate singers who arent exactly technically gifted, that voice is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Neil Young is one of my favourite half dozen artists, but CSN just leave me cold.

Someone mentioned prog rock, which does nothing for me, but this is about artists we're 'supposed to like'. Thats a genre that tends to get widely sneered at now, surely? And rightly so.

Agree about all three of these artists. I like the "idea" of Janis, but I never cared for the actual music. I think two out of the three members of CS&N are marginally-talented at best.

I don't own any of their music so that's how much of a fan I am, buT i do think Graham Nash is the only talented one of the group as far as songwriting and singing. I like his Hollies work. But, he probably lost it years ago.

good heavens. i never realized there were folks out there who actually questioned the talents of CS&N, individually or collectively. stills is one of the most amazing guitarists (especially on acoustic) i've ever heard, and crosby's angelic and powerful vocal instrument is beyond doubt.

Well, hence the whole "sacred cow" angle of the thread! I can't believe people question Dylan or Tom Waits.

questioning talent is different than whether you like them or not. sometimes you just can't get past a certain voice - that's the case with many who don't like tom and bob, though i presume most of these folks would not question they have talent.

i don't like sting's voice, bono's voice nor bruce's voice, but i would never suggest they are talentless.

I have issues with Graham Nash. Please don't hate me.

hate is too strong a word. detest, despise, loathe...but never hate.

with his talent?? really? as a song-writer even?

Too much to ask that you not despise or loathe me either? I can't take much more rejection this week.

Nash. Hmmm. I am underwhelmed by his songwriting talent, at least for a very long time now. I think the early CSN stuff was classic, but I just don't appreciate much of what Nash brings to the table, the same way I can kind of appreciate Jerry Garcia but not Bob Weir.

how about as an accomplished harmony singer. please? throw me a bone if you detest me loathing and despising you....

Will you accept "grudging agreement"?

if you'll agree to light the fire and place the flowers in the vase that you bought today for your lovely mobile home.

Deal. It IS a very, very, very fine mobile home.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 21:47

Quotes are getting a bit long...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 14, 2011 22:22

stones78
Quotes are getting a bit long...

i wasn't gonna respond to tele, but i can't help myself now....

Date: April 14, 2011 22:23

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza
Grateful Dead - In theory I should love them. Fan-friendly, random setlists, great connection with roots/traditional music. I also love Garcia's guitar playing. I respect them, but I just dont think they make great records. And their songs just tend to go on for far too long.

Janis Joplin - OK, there's a lot to feel sorry there because she was such a tragic figure. But as much as I like blues-wailing and no matter how much I can appreciate singers who arent exactly technically gifted, that voice is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Neil Young is one of my favourite half dozen artists, but CSN just leave me cold.

Someone mentioned prog rock, which does nothing for me, but this is about artists we're 'supposed to like'. Thats a genre that tends to get widely sneered at now, surely? And rightly so.

Agree about all three of these artists. I like the "idea" of Janis, but I never cared for the actual music. I think two out of the three members of CS&N are marginally-talented at best.

I don't own any of their music so that's how much of a fan I am, buT i do think Graham Nash is the only talented one of the group as far as songwriting and singing. I like his Hollies work. But, he probably lost it years ago.

good heavens. i never realized there were folks out there who actually questioned the talents of CS&N, individually or collectively. stills is one of the most amazing guitarists (especially on acoustic) i've ever heard, and crosby's angelic and powerful vocal instrument is beyond doubt.

Well, hence the whole "sacred cow" angle of the thread! I can't believe people question Dylan or Tom Waits.

questioning talent is different than whether you like them or not. sometimes you just can't get past a certain voice - that's the case with many who don't like tom and bob, though i presume most of these folks would not question they have talent.

i don't like sting's voice, bono's voice nor bruce's voice, but i would never suggest they are talentless.

I have issues with Graham Nash. Please don't hate me.

hate is too strong a word. detest, despise, loathe...but never hate.

with his talent?? really? as a song-writer even?

Too much to ask that you not despise or loathe me either? I can't take much more rejection this week.

Nash. Hmmm. I am underwhelmed by his songwriting talent, at least for a very long time now. I think the early CSN stuff was classic, but I just don't appreciate much of what Nash brings to the table, the same way I can kind of appreciate Jerry Garcia but not Bob Weir.

how about as an accomplished harmony singer. please? throw me a bone if you detest me loathing and despising you....

Will you accept "grudging agreement"?

if you'll agree to light the fire and place the flowers in the vase that you bought today for your lovely mobile home.

Deal. It IS a very, very, very fine mobile home.

how's life in alabama, anyway?

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 22:31

akgameboy
Tate
Nirvana. I have very good friends, and not just folks that were teenagers and twenty-somethings in the 90's, but others, who really think Nirvana was legendary, but I just never got into it. The quiet-loud-quiet-loud dynamic thing got old very quick, and Cobain's whiny voice never sounded honest. To me they were little more than Guns and Roses in plaid. And I never liked GnR either, for that matter. Both bands were commercial-sounding to me, formulaic and overly image conscious. There was stuff in the late 80's/ early 90's that was far worse, but still. Those bands' huge success never matched their lesser talents, from my point of view.

Commercial sounding? Are we listening to the same band?!

this is one of my favorites; oh man that was the last gasp of our beloved rock music!!!! Its just not like this anymore . . .eye popping smiley

Date: April 15, 2011 00:16

Quote StonesTod: how's life in alabama, anyway?[/quote]

It's good. We just got the meth lab set up, and made some road kill possum for dinner last night. Went good with the moonshine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-15 00:19 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 15, 2011 00:25

StonesTod
Gazza
Green Lady
Oh, plenty of them. U2, Morrissey/The Smiths and Radiohead for a start.

I'm with you on Radiohead.

I'd add pretty much most heavy rock/heavy metal in general, especially anything that emerged in the 80s. A largely awful decade for music.

but we're getting off the mark here - it's artists you're SUPPOSED to like, presumably because it follows that if you like the stones, you'd like them too....

well, I went by the criteria laid down in the initial post..

You know, those bands, artists that any card-carrying respectable music fan should like. Considered deities by some and and hipster-approved, or more than approved, but just so sublime that if you confess you don't like them, you're accused of being an idiot or simpleton or you just don't get it.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 15, 2011 00:26

Johnny Cash. I win.

Date: April 15, 2011 00:35

Gazza
StonesTod
Gazza
Green Lady

I'd add pretty much most heavy rock/heavy metal in general, especially anything that emerged in the 80s. A largely awful decade for music.

but we're getting off the mark here - it's artists you're SUPPOSED to like, presumably because it follows that if you like the stones, you'd like them too....

You know, those bands, artists that any card-carrying respectable music fan should like. Considered deities by some and and hipster-approved, or more than approved, but just so sublime that if you confess you don't like them, you're accused of being an idiot or simpleton or you just don't get it.

well, in that case you're an idiot, a simpleton that just doesn't get prog rock. but, you knew that....

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: April 15, 2011 00:42

NorthShoreBlues2

this is one of my favorites; oh man that was the last gasp of our beloved rock music!!!! Its just not like this anymore . . .eye popping smiley

Agreed!

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 15, 2011 00:42

U2

Date: April 15, 2011 00:55

StonesTod
Gazza
StonesTod
Gazza
Green Lady

well, in that case you're an idiot, a simpleton that just doesn't get prog rock. but, you knew that....

You forgot 'fraud' and 'charlatan'.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 15, 2011 02:02

hbwriter
U2

me, also.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 15, 2011 02:26

KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza

Their musical talents are in direct proportion to their weight. Crosby and Stills are heavyweights. Nash is a lightweight, but he's a really good lightweight. One of the most enjoyable concerts I have EVER attended was Graham Nash solo and acoustic at the Palladium in NYC in 1980, right around the time of the release of his "Earth And Sky" solo album.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 15, 2011 02:27

StonesTod
Brue
Springsteen. I don't know how many times I've avoided seeing him. I can't stand sing a longs. Not to say I don't like a few of his songs, but overall he's a pain in the ass to listen to and put up.

as stones fans, i'm not even sure we're supposed to like bruce. aside from my mate, gazza, i've never met another stones fan in all my days who liked bruce. that has to mean something...can't just be a wild coincidence.

Sorry but I love Springsteen. So there's me and Gazza.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 15, 2011 02:32

tom waits for beginners (what a sweet and touching song)

Date: April 15, 2011 02:32

Wow!! Four pages of posts in under a day. Must be some sort of record here. Of course, Gazza and StonesTod are almost half of it. Ha Ha. Geez guys! So here are mine -

Springgoof & Dylan - I've really, really tried. I'd rather listen to Mellencamp. But not much more.
UGoofed - Just don't get it. The Edge is just a so-so guitarist and Boner is a wind bag.
REM - Nerd rock sums it up quite nicely.
Post Attactions Costello - He lost that edge after that.
Nirvana - Teen Spirit rocks but that's it for them.
Pearl Jam - Eddie, like Boner, thinks a little to highly of himself. (But maybe so do I!).

Could go on and on, but that's enough.

Scotty,

Irvine, CA

Date: April 15, 2011 02:59

[email protected]
Wow!! Four pages of posts in under a day. Must be some sort of record here. Of course, Gazza and StonesTod are almost half of it. Ha Ha. Geez guys!

Just 5 posts from me! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 03:24

guitarbastard
tom waits for beginners (what a sweet and touching song)

See?
They're trying to convert me! That's what I mean. Maybe I don't want to get it. And how can anyone not like the Fortunes?
"You've Got YOu're Troubles" is a masterpiece of pop heaven.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 03:37

The Who, U2, all Seattle grunge, REM

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: April 15, 2011 04:11

The Beatles.

I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION!!

Date: April 15, 2011 04:12

akgameboy
The Beatles.

I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION!!

And yet they've always said such nice things about you.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 15, 2011 04:13

The Rolling Stones pre Goat's Head Soup.........................oooof

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 05:02

EddieByword

That's gutsy.....

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 05:11

I can't stand the corporate rock bands that emerged in the late 70's and early 80's like Journey, Styx, Foreigner, Kansas, Boston, etc. And that includes Van Halen. I never got anything out of Rush, Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead or Zappa. But the only band I really loathe is Queen.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 15, 2011 05:12

stupidguy2
EddieByword

That's gutsy.....
winking smiley yeah, the Holy of Holies yawning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-15 11:38 by EddieByword.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 05:25

millerman60
I can't stand the corporate rock bands that emerged in the late 70's and early 80's like Journey, Styx, Foreigner, Kansas, Boston, etc. And that includes Van Halen. I never got anything out of Rush, Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead or Zappa. But the only band I really loathe is Queen.

Agree with ALL in your first sentence. NONE in your second (except Zappa). And I ESPECIALLY agree with your last sentence. Queen is on top of my Loathe List.
I would add Styx and Supertramp. Everyone in Canada goes ga-ga over their tunes. I can't stand them all.

In defense of Rush and Pink Floyd....they have a lot of much earned respect...nothing like the bands Stones fans would listen to...but, c'mon, it's great stuff. Grateful Dead? I think you need to have been at one of their concerts to get it...but yeah, they're not on my playlist.

Cheers

Date: April 15, 2011 06:50

millerman60

not sure what you define as "corporate rock". boston made every possible anti record label move you could make. kansas was a prog rock southern band. i'd maybe say journey, styx and foreigner got influenced by the labels to sound more commercial

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 15, 2011 07:23

NickB

Sorry but I love Springsteen. So there's me and Gazza.

...and you can add myself and SCL to that list.

...And I've been a Stones fan since 1964.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 15, 2011 10:00

RADIOHEAD
TALKING HEADS
NIRVANA
PEARL JAM
OASIS
......................BUFF!!!!!

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home