Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

MT Spanish A Minor Live and Soliliquy Live
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 19, 2011 19:38

Re: MT Spanish A Minor Live and Soliliquy Live
Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: April 19, 2011 19:44

good old openG always good for some great clips ! thanks
what year ?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2011 19:55

Thanks for posting. One his best performances ever.
He could have joined Steely Dan.

Date: April 19, 2011 20:18

Yeah - fagen and becker were always looking for that unique guitar sound for their songs and MT would of fit in.

play the guitar boy

Date: April 19, 2011 20:26

burying ground - danny newman wrote and sings song - on MT DVD from Tokyo

Date: April 19, 2011 21:47

Same story.. Good match with the keyboard player.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: April 19, 2011 23:14

does anybody know where and what year the spanish and soliliguy live youtube songs are from?thanx

Date: April 19, 2011 23:45

My guess would be approx 1980, after the release of his first solo album.
He was experimenting with a bit more complex
chord progression on that record and really started to get control over it, especially
on the tracks posted by OpenG here.
Besides his tone on that record reminds me of Jeff Beck, just like these live tracks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-19 23:50 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 20, 2011 01:49

Mick did not do much in '80 (or '81 for that matter). He did not start playing his own stuff until late '86. To my knowledge that is the earliest he played Spanish/Am and Soliloquy. I like a lot of stuff he played from that period. Good late night or early morning music.

Nice recording posted by OG.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 20, 2011 02:59

Did Mick actually play any dates in support of the 1979 album? I remember he was scheduled to do a show in '79 at a club near where I lived on Long Island, but it was cancelled. He did finally play there, in early 1987, a few weeks after jamming with Keith at the Lone Star Roadhouse in NYC. Anyway, I love Spanish/A Minor. I wish he had gone in that direction, doing instrumental jazz fusion, instead of trying to be a blues singer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 06:10 by tatters.

Date: April 20, 2011 06:02

Amsterdamned

Thanks for posting. One his best performances ever.
He could have joined Steely Dan.

A couple of the tracks on A Stones Throw have a little bit of a Steely Dan vibe.

Date: April 20, 2011 09:52

pmk251
Mick did not do much in '80 (or '81 for that matter). He did not start playing his own stuff until late '86. To my knowledge that is the earliest he played Spanish/Am and Soliloquy. I like a lot of stuff he played from that period. Good late night or early morning music.

Nice recording posted by OG.

I would expect him to promote his solo project.
But at that time (the early 8-tees) he did things with John Mayall and Dylan.
The record posted above could have been for once or twice in the early 8-tees,but that's not very likely indeed.
Fagen and Becker had that Jazzy sound. That't what reminds me of MT's first album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 09:53 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 20, 2011 11:05

Aside from a few interviews Taylor did not support his first solo album and he did not play any of it until '86.

Mathijs

Date: April 20, 2011 13:11

Yep,pmk 251 stated that already.
Taylor was great on the posted tracks,regardless the time he played it.
Thanks for your accurate and superfluous info anyway.

Date: April 20, 2011 14:40

Mathijs
Aside from a few interviews Taylor did not support his first solo album and he did not play any of it until '86.

Mathijs

But there WAS supposed to be a 1979 Mick Taylor solo tour, was there not? The album was released in May of that year, and I distinctly remember he had a gig lined up for June 4 at a club called My Father's Place in Roslyn, New York. I don't remember if tickets ever went on sale or if I bought one, but I certainly planned on going. Then it was cancelled. Why? Was it part of a full-scale tour that also got cancelled? Did CBS decide not to back his tour because his album rose no higher than #119 on the Billboard chart? Or is it the other way around? The album didn't sell because he couldn't tour behind it because CBS wouldn't back the tour? I'm sure some Taylor devotee has the answer to these and many other questions as well. Taylor DID finally get around to playing My Father's Place, on Jan. 31, 1987, and I was first in line when the doors opened. All day long, the local radio station had been floating the rumor that Keith would repeat his surprise appearance from a few weeks earlier at the Lone Star Roadhouse. It seemed a realistic possibility, too because Keith actually did sometimes show up at this club to jam on Monday nights when they had reggae music. "Eppy", the club owner, would only tell me, "It'll be great if he shows up, and it'll still be great if he doesn't". No Keef, of course, but we did get Giddy Up, Red House, CYHMK as the closer, and Jimi's Third Stone From The Sun as the encore. An added bonus was that at 38 years of age, he still looked like Mick Taylor.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 14:58 by tatters.

Date: April 20, 2011 14:47

Its from the late 80's - MT was on fire during 1982-1984 with Mayall and then in the late 80's with his band. He seemed focused during that time right before working with Dylan and after the 1984 tour.

Date: April 20, 2011 16:19

One more story about My Father's Place in Roslyn, New York. Peter Tosh had a gig there on July 3, 1978, right in the middle of the Stones U.S. tour, so, naturally, eveyone thought, "Holy shit! The Rolling Stones are gonna be at My Father's Place! Peter Tosh isn't the headliner! He's opening for the Stones!" Well, I knew a guy who worked there, and he assured me that Peter Tosh was not the opening act. He WAS the act. I took a drive by there that night just for a laugh, and sure enough, there were 1,000 people trying to jam their way into a club that only holds 300. I'll bet a lot of them didn't even like reggae music, or have the slightest clue who Peter Tosh was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 16:24 by tatters.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 20, 2011 19:56

It is frustrating to think that Mick did not do anything to promote that 1st album. True, in '82 - '84 he was busy, but still...'79 - '81 was mostly time off. When he went on that "poor man's bluesbreakers" tour in mid '86 the audience was well aware of the album and requested songs from it, but the requests went ignored until late '86. I consider that mid '86 tour to be a dismal step backward for Mick; or at least a non-step forward, fine playing notwithstanding. I think that is why I like the late '86 stuff. He was playing his own music, finally.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 20, 2011 22:22

I saw him in a small pub venue in around 89/90 and he was ok, apart from looking very overweight and moaning about The Stones ripping him off.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 21, 2011 01:17

tatters
Mathijs

Mathijs

But there WAS supposed to be a 1979 Mick Taylor solo tour, was there not? The album was released in May of that year, and I distinctly remember he had a gig lined up for June 4 at a club called My Father's Place in Roslyn, New York.

As I understand it, the funds for promoting this album where large, and Taylor was ready to go on a tour of sorts. After the album was released it only sold three copies, and the financer pulled out, or Taylor pulled out when he found out he wasn't playing arena's but bars. Other story is that Taylor was too dependent on stimulants and therefore the record label / financer pulled out due to unreliability.

Mathijs

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: April 21, 2011 13:06

Mathijs
tatters
Mathijs

Mathijs

But there WAS supposed to be a 1979 Mick Taylor solo tour, was there not? The album was released in May of that year, and I distinctly remember he had a gig lined up for June 4 at a club called My Father's Place in Roslyn, New York.

As I understand it, the funds for promoting this album where large, and Taylor was ready to go on a tour of sorts. After the album was released it only sold three copies, and the financer pulled out, or Taylor pulled out when he found out he wasn't playing arena's but bars. Other story is that Taylor was too dependent on stimulants and therefore the record label / financer pulled out due to unreliability.

Mathijs

i bought one , who of you bought the other two ?

Date: April 21, 2011 14:59

straycatblues73
Mathijs
tatters
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

i bought one , who of you bought the other two ?

I bought one. I remember it came out right around the same time as Ronnie's Gimme Some Neck. Ronnie's sold better, but still only made it to #45, even with the New Barbarians tour supporting it. Taylor would have been delusional beyond belief if he really expected he was going to do a solo tour of ARENAS in 1979. Ronnie played arenas that year, but only because Keith was in his band and there was a rumor mill cranking out bull shit about all kinds of other people who were going to show up.

I bought another vinyl copy of Mick's album in 2001 so I could take it to one of his gigs and have him sign it. There were people there with copies of every Stones album he played on, even Tatoo You. My album was the only non-Stones item anyone asked him to sign.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-21 15:12 by tatters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2457
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home