Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Sacred Cows: artists you're supposed to like, but don't.
Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:09

71Tele
Gazza
Grateful Dead - In theory I should love them. Fan-friendly, random setlists, great connection with roots/traditional music. I also love Garcia's guitar playing. I respect them, but I just dont think they make great records. And their songs just tend to go on for far too long.

Janis Joplin - OK, there's a lot to feel sorry there because she was such a tragic figure. But as much as I like blues-wailing and no matter how much I can appreciate singers who arent exactly technically gifted, that voice is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Neil Young is one of my favourite half dozen artists, but CSN just leave me cold.

Someone mentioned prog rock, which does nothing for me, but this is about artists we're 'supposed to like'. Thats a genre that tends to get widely sneered at now, surely? And rightly so.

Agree about all three of these artists. I like the "idea" of Janis, but I never cared for the actual music. I think two out of the three members of CS&N are marginally-talented at best.

I don't own any of their music so that's how much of a fan I am, buT i do think Graham Nash is the only talented one of the group as far as songwriting and singing. I like his Hollies work. But, he probably lost it years ago.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:10

I saw Arcade Fire being mentioned here. God did I try to see what's all the fuss about. I could barely get through one of their cds'. Same for The Arctic Monkeys.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:13

KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza
Grateful Dead - In theory I should love them. Fan-friendly, random setlists, great connection with roots/traditional music. I also love Garcia's guitar playing. I respect them, but I just dont think they make great records. And their songs just tend to go on for far too long.

Janis Joplin - OK, there's a lot to feel sorry there because she was such a tragic figure. But as much as I like blues-wailing and no matter how much I can appreciate singers who arent exactly technically gifted, that voice is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Neil Young is one of my favourite half dozen artists, but CSN just leave me cold.

Someone mentioned prog rock, which does nothing for me, but this is about artists we're 'supposed to like'. Thats a genre that tends to get widely sneered at now, surely? And rightly so.

Agree about all three of these artists. I like the "idea" of Janis, but I never cared for the actual music. I think two out of the three members of CS&N are marginally-talented at best.

I don't own any of their music so that's how much of a fan I am, buT i do think Graham Nash is the only talented one of the group as far as songwriting and singing. I like his Hollies work. But, he probably lost it years ago.

good heavens. i never realized there were folks out there who actually questioned the talents of CS&N, individually or collectively. stills is one of the most amazing guitarists (especially on acoustic) i've ever heard, and crosby's angelic and powerful vocal instrument is beyond doubt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-14 19:13 by StonesTod.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:14

Peal Jam are another huge band with a loyal legion of followers that I think I'm supposed to like and don't.

Eddie Vedder sounds like he has a sock stuffed in his nose.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:30

Springsteen. I don't know how many times I've avoided seeing him. I can't stand sing a longs. Not to say I don't like a few of his songs, but overall he's a pain in the ass to listen to and put up.

Date: April 14, 2011 19:32

Brue
Springsteen. I don't know how many times I've avoided seeing him. I can't stand sing a longs. Not to say I don't like a few of his songs, but overall he's a pain in the ass to listen to and put up.

as stones fans, i'm not even sure we're supposed to like bruce. aside from my mate, gazza, i've never met another stones fan in all my days who liked bruce. that has to mean something...can't just be a wild coincidence.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:41

Good thread, I agree with about 90% of the comments which must be a miracle. Mine are -
AC/DC - screeching bricky on vocals singing "sink the pink" without a hint of irony embarrasing tripe for the under 14`s
Clapton - and all those other guitar players who play boring pentatonic scales fast but have no soul
White Stripes - good at first but good they split, the last albums were boring
Arcade Fire - learned how to swing from A to B for a half hour by copying old Sonic Youth records and then added some bleating, good idea NOT smiling smiley
U2 and Phil Collins (goes without saying really)
many many others - the antidote Otis Redding,Big Youth,Otis Rush, you know Keiths record collection basically smiling smiley

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:47

71Tele
stupidguy2
You know, those bands, artists that any card-carrying respectable music fan should like. Considered deities by some and and hipster-approved, or more than approved, but just so sublime that if you confess you don't like them, you're accused of being an idiot or simpleton or you just don't get it.
Well, I just don't get:

Tom Waits - I tried, I really did, but alas, he doesn't move me. His earthiness is too theatrical. And I can't decide what is more grating, his shtick or his cult of fans.
Leonard Cohen - the voice, the maudlin song structure.
Talking Heads - college kids who squeezed the soul out of a great Al Green song and that was enough for me.
I'm fully prepared to be pummeled by admirers of these artists, but I just don't get it.

What are yours?

Too bad about Tom Waits, you're the one who is losing out.
Ditto, Leonard. I won't pummel you, though, I'll just be sad that there are people who are unable to be moved by the deep emotional brilliance of "Bird On A Wire", "Famous Blue Raincoat", or the bittersweet sad humor of "Postcard From A Hooker In Minneapolis".

Spot on about Tom Waits. He does so many different styles. My absolute favourite song by him is Hang Down Your Head from Rain Dogs. It's really just a simple pop tune, but boy does it have feeling. He hits something romantic, when he's in that mood, that I haven't heard elsewhere. I agree he can be a bit much though (Just listen to the Glitter & Doom live album - Not so good). You just hae to find out when his voice is on a good day.

There's a song where he sings "We're going in the Coliseum tonight". What's the name of that song? I love that one.

Also: If you ever get the chance to watch The Rain Dogs (Norwegian Waits cover band), you shouldn't let that opportunity pass. They're awesome.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:48

StonesTod
Gazza
Green Lady
Oh, plenty of them. U2, Morrissey/The Smiths and Radiohead for a start.

I'm with you on Radiohead.

I'd add pretty much most heavy rock/heavy metal in general, especially anything that emerged in the 80s. A largely awful decade for music.

but we're getting off the mark here - it's artists you're SUPPOSED to like, presumably because it follows that if you like the stones, you'd like them too....

I don't agree that we're supposed to presume anything of the sort - I took it to be artists you are supposed to like to maintain your musical credibility, because they are always said to be great by the People Who Know About These Things (like Radiohead's OK Computer used to win all the UK polls for best album of all time with depressing regularity...)

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:48

StonesTod
Brue

as stones fans, i'm not even sure we're supposed to like bruce. aside from my mate, gazza, i've never met another stones fan in all my days who liked bruce. that has to mean something...can't just be a wild coincidence.

Oh dear. Who are we supposed to like?? Do tell! Is there an official list for insiders and another list for the rest of us?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:53

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, grunge in general

Date: April 14, 2011 19:55

Green Lady
I don't agree that we're supposed to presume anything of the sort - I took it to be artists you are supposed to like to maintain your musical credibility

come again? musical credibility???? ummm...we're all stones fans, right? so there goes that credibility deal....

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:55

There are many, but I stand by Zeppelin!! They are gods.

Those I have never "gotten":

White Stripes (get a bassist for Christ's sake)
Arcade Fire (boring)
U2 (NOT a rock band)
REM (too wimpy)
Springsteen (can anyone actually hear any guitars in his songs??)
Fleetwood Mac (pop girlie version)
The Who (crazy right? i like a couple of songs)
Crosby, Stills & Nash (or any of them on their own)
Foo Fighters (a couple of songs are ok)
Kings Of Leon (wussies)
Radiohead (zzzzzzz)
Eagles (soft rock)
Steely Dan (worst band ever)
Yes (nerd rock)
Rush (oh god that voice!)
Steve Miller (white trash group, no voice inflection at all)
Prince (just dont dig it)
The Police & Sting (NOT rock music)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-14 20:02 by lettingitbleed.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:57

StonesTod
KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza

good heavens. i never realized there were folks out there who actually questioned the talents of CS&N, individually or collectively. stills is one of the most amazing guitarists (especially on acoustic) i've ever heard, and crosby's angelic and powerful vocal instrument is beyond doubt.

Well, hence the whole "sacred cow" angle of the thread! I can't believe people question Dylan or Tom Waits.

Date: April 14, 2011 19:58

Brue
StonesTod
Brue

Oh dear. Who are we supposed to like?? Do tell! Is there an official list for insiders and another list for the rest of us?

way above my pay/fan grade. i like the les elgart and jackie gleason orchestras, but i have a sneaking suspicion they aren't on the list....

Date: April 14, 2011 20:01

71Tele
StonesTod
KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza

Well, hence the whole "sacred cow" angle of the thread! I can't believe people question Dylan or Tom Waits.

questioning talent is different than whether you like them or not. sometimes you just can't get past a certain voice - that's the case with many who don't like tom and bob, though i presume most of these folks would not question they have talent.

i don't like sting's voice, bono's voice nor bruce's voice, but i would never suggest they are talentless.

Date: April 14, 2011 20:02

JumpingKentFlash
71Tele
stupidguy2
You know, those bands, artists that any card-carrying respectable music fan should like. Considered deities by some and and hipster-approved, or more than approved, but just so sublime that if you confess you don't like them, you're accused of being an idiot or simpleton or you just don't get it.
Well, I just don't get:

Tom Waits - I tried, I really did, but alas, he doesn't move me. His earthiness is too theatrical. And I can't decide what is more grating, his shtick or his cult of fans.
Leonard Cohen - the voice, the maudlin song structure.
Talking Heads - college kids who squeezed the soul out of a great Al Green song and that was enough for me.
I'm fully prepared to be pummeled by admirers of these artists, but I just don't get it.

What are yours?

Too bad about Tom Waits, you're the one who is losing out.
Ditto, Leonard. I won't pummel you, though, I'll just be sad that there are people who are unable to be moved by the deep emotional brilliance of "Bird On A Wire", "Famous Blue Raincoat", or the bittersweet sad humor of "Postcard From A Hooker In Minneapolis".

Spot on about Tom Waits. He does so many different styles. My absolute favourite song by him is Hang Down Your Head from Rain Dogs. It's really just a simple pop tune, but boy does it have feeling. He hits something romantic, when he's in that mood, that I haven't heard elsewhere. I agree he can be a bit much though (Just listen to the Glitter & Doom live album - Not so good). You just hae to find out when his voice is on a good day.

There's a song where he sings "We're going in the Coliseum tonight". What's the name of that song? I love that one.

Also: If you ever get the chance to watch The Rain Dogs (Norwegian Waits cover band), you shouldn't let that opportunity pass. They're awesome.

Agree about Tom. No one can touch him when he wants to do a romantic ballad like "Hang Down Your Head" or "Hold On" (from Mule Variations) but he tests my patience on all the Bertold Brecht type stuff, Black Rider, etc., and some of the more "noisy" things from Real Gone. I also agree that Glitter & Doom Live was a missed opportunity. Very poor song selection. Too bad, because I saw some of those shows and they were great. A live LP from the Mule tour in '99 would have been awesome. I never saw Tom and more on his game, and never with a better group of players. 2004 in Europe with Marc Ribot was also better than Gloom. Some good clips on YouTube of those shows.

Date: April 14, 2011 20:03

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza

questioning talent is different than whether you like them or not. sometimes you just can't get past a certain voice - that's the case with many who don't like tom and bob, though i presume most of these folks would not question they have talent.

i don't like sting's voice, bono's voice nor bruce's voice, but i would never suggest they are talentless.

I have issues with Graham Nash. Please don't hate me.

Date: April 14, 2011 20:08

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza

hate is too strong a word. detest, despise, loathe...but never hate.

with his talent?? really? as a song-writer even?

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: April 14, 2011 20:10

The Clash and the Remones. Everybody seems to love them - I just do not get it.

Date: April 14, 2011 20:11

Everybody Loves Ramones?

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: April 14, 2011 20:12

You should try The Ramones. They are much better.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out sorry, could not resist. Although I absolutely LOVE the Ramones, I have never dug The Clash either.

Date: April 14, 2011 20:13

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza

Too much to ask that you not despise or loathe me either? I can't take much more rejection this week.

Nash. Hmmm. I am underwhelmed by his songwriting talent, at least for a very long time now. I think the early CSN stuff was classic, but I just don't appreciate much of what Nash brings to the table, the same way I can kind of appreciate Jerry Garcia but not Bob Weir.

Date: April 14, 2011 20:15

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza

Too much to ask that you not despise or loathe me either? I can't take much more rejection this week.

Nash. Hmmm. I am underwhelmed by his songwriting talent, at least for a very long time now. I think the early CSN stuff was classic, but I just don't appreciate much of what Nash brings to the table, the same way I can kind of appreciate Jerry Garcia but not Bob Weir.

how about as an accomplished harmony singer. please? throw me a bone if you detest me loathing and despising you....

Date: April 14, 2011 20:16

lettingitbleed
You should try The Ramones. They are much better.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out sorry, could not resist. Although I absolutely LOVE the Ramones, I have never dug The Clash either.

There is a political-correctness and stridency to some Clash-lovers that makes them especially annoying (the band and the fans). I saw The Clash in the early 80s and walked out. i couldn't take the self-importance.

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: April 14, 2011 20:27

I won't have a bad word said about the Ramones, seriously. They have the catchiest songs ever.

Date: April 14, 2011 20:29

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza

how about as an accomplished harmony singer. please? throw me a bone if you detest me loathing and despising you....

Will you accept "grudging agreement"?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 14, 2011 20:31

U2 (not sure if you supposed to like them)
Fleedwood Mac (without Peter Green)
Talking Heads (?)
The Fortunes (;o))

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 14, 2011 20:42

Zep, Dead, U2,CSN,BS, never got Pink Floyd or Zappa.

Date: April 14, 2011 20:48

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
KeefintheNight82
71Tele
Gazza

Will you accept "grudging agreement"?

if you'll agree to light the fire and place the flowers in the vase that you bought today for your lovely mobile home.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2110
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home