Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Sacred Cows: artists you're supposed to like, but don't.
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 14, 2011 14:57

Nearly forgot - Coldplay. More like "neverplay"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 14, 2011 15:00

Grateful Dead - In theory I should love them. Fan-friendly, random setlists, great connection with roots/traditional music. I also love Garcia's guitar playing. I respect them, but I just dont think they make great records. And their songs just tend to go on for far too long.

Janis Joplin - OK, there's a lot to feel sorry there because she was such a tragic figure. But as much as I like blues-wailing and no matter how much I can appreciate singers who arent exactly technically gifted, that voice is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Neil Young is one of my favourite half dozen artists, but CSN just leave me cold.

Someone mentioned prog rock, which does nothing for me, but this is about artists we're 'supposed to like'. Thats a genre that tends to get widely sneered at now, surely? And rightly so.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 14, 2011 15:05

Thricenay
KeefintheNight82
Janis Joplin--I can't believe this is supposed to be real great soul/blues singing. It is to everyone but me I guess.

She's my blind spot too. Call that singing?!

See Festival Express. I was lukewarm to her until I saw that movie. The woman had charisma to burn.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 14, 2011 15:07

For the prog I like Genesis incl PG...but they are nearly forgotten on my discroller nowadays...

2 1 2 0

Date: April 14, 2011 15:08

AngieBlue
The Grateful Dead are tops on my list too. Some of their stuff is ok, but I just don't get it. Too much noodling for me.

Prince is another. Purple Rain came out when I was in high school and it was everywhere. That might be why. And what came after sounded like the same record with different lyrics to me.

you are funny. prince got blasted for the albums after purple rain for sounding NOTHING like it.not sure how "raspberry beret" sounds like "when doves cry"

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 15:12

Man Oh Man where do I begin?! Dylan for the most part, Pink Floyd big time (The Wall excluded), The Grateful Dead, Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, Genesis (especially the Peter Gabriel era - in fact most of Peter Gabriel as well), Phish, anything with Clapton in it - be it him solo, Cream, you name it....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-14 15:20 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 14, 2011 15:14

Change The Radio Station When They Come On:
Nirvana - Never got it, don't think I ever will.
Metallica - My wife's favorite. I'll listen while she's around but...
GnR - A couple of songs I'll listen to but most get cut. Quickly.

Listen on the radio but probably not gonna buy their stuff (maybe a greatest hits)...
Led Zep
Jimi
Dead

Cool Thread. Hard to think of groups I've blocked out though.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 14, 2011 15:28

AC/DC

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2011 15:33

Mr Bean ....not even with a tank of laughin' gas pumped in
Tommy Emmanuel.....Some cat said it's clever but I can't feel a thing

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 14, 2011 15:38

Gazza
Grateful Dead - In theory I should love them. Fan-friendly, random setlists, great connection with roots/traditional music. I also love Garcia's guitar playing. I respect them, but I just dont think they make great records. And their songs just tend to go on for far too long.

Janis Joplin - OK, there's a lot to feel sorry there because she was such a tragic figure. But as much as I like blues-wailing and no matter how much I can appreciate singers who arent exactly technically gifted, that voice is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Neil Young is one of my favourite half dozen artists, but CSN just leave me cold.

Someone mentioned prog rock, which does nothing for me, but this is about artists we're 'supposed to like'. Thats a genre that tends to get widely sneered at now, surely? And rightly so.

i sneer in your general direction

Date: April 14, 2011 15:44

Anyway, I kind of like this one...

2 1 2 0

Date: April 14, 2011 15:45

StonesTod

I fart back in yours!

I've always sort of 'wanted' to like the Dead, but I think its just something thats got lost in translation. I respect them, but I just dont really 'get' it.

Plus, I've never liked their drum sound for some reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-14 15:48 by Gazza.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 14, 2011 16:02

Gazza
StonesTod

I fart back in yours!

I've always sort of 'wanted' to like the Dead, but I think its just something thats got lost in translation. I respect them, but I just dont really 'get' it.

me neither. it's kinda dead.

Steely Dan--can't listen to them..

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 14, 2011 16:08

At the college I attended in the late 1970s, there were a few "weirdos" working at the campus radio station who were into punk and new wave, but the Grateful Dead were, by far, the most popular band on campus. Thanks to American Beauty and Working Man's Dead, I was able to get into it a LITTLE. I even went to a show, and bought a bumper sticker, which said "Dead's The Best. F--- The Rest". I couldn't quite bring myself to put it on my car like that, so I cut off the bottom part, and just put the part that said "Dead's The Best" on my bumper. My mother saw it and became concerned. "What's that say? Dead is great? It's great to be dead? You want to be dead? WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOU???"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-14 16:18 by tatters.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 14, 2011 16:21

Pink Floyd, Cat Stevens, Bruce Springsteen from born in the USA onwards, U2 save Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum and 1/2 Achtung, Beatles - with the exception of Abbey Road and Let it Be.

C

p.s. amazed to see so many dislike Hendrix

Date: April 14, 2011 16:29

I'm supposed to Like and I do

smoking smileycool smileysmiling smileygrinning smiley
John George Paul Ringo

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 14, 2011 16:33

The Who

Date: April 14, 2011 16:42

The Guess Who

2 1 2 0

Date: April 14, 2011 17:00

Gazza
StonesTod

I fart back in yours!

you're european; you're not supposed to like the dead. i was sneering more about janis, csn and prog rock...especially prog rock. well, at least i don't like bruce and u2, so that feels good.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 14, 2011 18:01

Grateful Dead
Dave Mathhews

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 14, 2011 18:11

Led Zepplin - Great band, terrible vocals
Pink Floyd
Latter day Queen
Pearl Jam
Grateful Dead

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: April 14, 2011 18:17

Queen - goddamn I do hate this pompous shit. absolutely nothing to do with what makes great music for me.

Pink Floyd - They bore me and they're often pretentious. I don't see how they're so big as their music is not commercial at all. Rather hookless, I find.

Eric Clapton - Horrible boring soulless electric blues.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 14, 2011 18:28

Oh, plenty of them. U2, Morrissey/The Smiths and Radiohead for a start.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 18:42

Yes, much of U2 as well outside of Rattle & Hum, Achtung Baby, and parts of Zooropa......

And The Doors - a little bit of them goes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-15 15:44 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 14, 2011 18:49

whitem8
Tele I am with you on Hendrix. I have a ton of his stuff, and I respect his talent, but it all seems to blend together into a long jam of sameness. I rarely chose to spin a Hendrix disc from start to finish. Having said that, I love Band of Gypsies and especially Machine Gun from that disc.

Zappa. Again, I know he was super talented, and a huge amount of material. But I just can't be moved by the pretend humor behind it all, and it all seems a bit pretentious to me.

I agree about Zappa! He was so concerned about being seen as a "serious" musician, it made him look pretentious. He even used to conduct his band.

Date: April 14, 2011 18:53

"Any Elvis Costello after "Spike", and some Elvis Costello DURING "Spike" - The man needs a Lennon to his McCartney, someone to tell him when to edit, and when his bridge sucks, and when to lose a passage so wordy he has to speed up his singing to get it all in."

Oh boy, I agree with this! The Attractions were able to edit Elvis and give his great songs context and form. Without them, EC was able to indulge himself completely - not a good thing, imo. Sort of like without Lennon, McCartney could be as cheezy as he wanted. The best work EC had done has consistently been with The Attractions, or their successors, The Imposters (though not nearly as much).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-14 18:58 by 71Tele.

Date: April 14, 2011 18:55

Gazza

Agree about all three of these artists. I like the "idea" of Janis, but I never cared for the actual music. I think two out of the three members of CS&N are marginally-talented at best.

Date: April 14, 2011 18:57

Ferret
Queen - goddamn I do hate this pompous shit. absolutely nothing to do with what makes great music for me.

Pink Floyd - They bore me and they're often pretentious. I don't see how they're so big as their music is not commercial at all. Rather hookless, I find.

Eric Clapton - Horrible boring soulless electric blues.

Hate Queen. Absolutely hate them. Bohemian Rhapsody is not a song, it's an assault on every one of my senses.

Date: April 14, 2011 19:02

Green Lady

I'm with you on Radiohead.

I'd add pretty much most heavy rock/heavy metal in general, especially anything that emerged in the 80s. A largely awful decade for music.

Date: April 14, 2011 19:08

Gazza
Green Lady

I'm with you on Radiohead.

I'd add pretty much most heavy rock/heavy metal in general, especially anything that emerged in the 80s. A largely awful decade for music.

but we're getting off the mark here - it's artists you're SUPPOSED to like, presumably because it follows that if you like the stones, you'd like them too....

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2083
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home