Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 18
Keith kicks out Swedish journalist Markus Larsson
Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 10, 2010 12:52

Keith Richards hit me in the head

In English:
[blogg.aftonbladet.se]

In Swedish:
[www.aftonbladet.se]

On August 4, 2007, The Rolling Stones, got a 2 out of 5 review for the gig at Ullevi in Gothenburg, Sweden, of tabloid Aftonbladets music reviewer Markus Larsson, 34.

A review that enraged guitarist Keith Richards, 67.

Afterwards, he demanded a public apology.

Yesterday, the two met for an interview at Le Meurice Hotel in Paris about Keith Richards's autobiography "Life".

The meeting ended with the rock star threatening Markus Larsson and hitting him in the head.

- Before he stormed out he hit me in the head and hissed: "You're lucky to get out of here alive," said Markus Larsson.

The interview would have lasted for half an hour, but when, after ten minutes of the interview Keith Richards realized it was Markus Larsson, who wrote the review, the mood of the rock star quickly changed.

- He was in a good mood before I started to ask about the gig at Ullevi. He drank something yellow and smoked and laughed. But it quickly became uncomfortable, said Markus Larsson.

It even went so far as to Keith Richards physically threatening Markus Larsson.

- His eyes got black and he was absolutely furious. He stood up and asked if we would put out the lights and settle the disagreement straight away.

What did you feel?

- At first I was just surprised, I thought he was pulling my leg, but then I realized he was serious and then I felt uncomfortable and I just wanted to get out of there pretty fast.

Markus Larsson has been a music reviewer for eleven years but has never experienced anything like this.

- Right now, I cannot see the funny side of this. I would like to experience a lot in my life but I do not want to end up in a scuffle with anyone I interview, he says.

Fanny Birath is public relations manager at Norstedts, publishers of Keith Richards's autobiography:

- It is sad what happened, but I can not comment on their conflict. It was between them in a closed room and I was not there, she says.

Klas Lindberg, head of entertainment news at Aftonbladet:

- Keith Richards behavior is completely unacceptable. That he would be so hostile and aggressive towards our employee in this quiet and controlled interview situation, was surprising and extremely uncomfortable. Attacking a journalist in this way is serious. Richards is clearly out of balance and I hope that people close to him reacts, he says.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-10 15:04 by bv.

Re: Keith kicks out Swedish journalist Markus Larsson
Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: November 10, 2010 12:59

Haha that's Keef for ya.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 10, 2010 12:59

Anyone, besides me, think Keith is all bark & no bite ?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:00

That article makes for uncomfortable reading.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:01

Silly old man

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:03

So what's your take on this Bjornulf ? It seems as if Keith can certainly hold a grudge. Exactly how "bad" was the original review of the Ullevi 2007 show ? I remember the thread and discussion about it, don't recall reading an English translation though. What exactly was said in it ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: November 10, 2010 13:04

Adrian-L
That article makes for uncomfortable reading.

Indeed it does, inspite of wishing to give Keith "the benefit of the doubt" shall we say ? Hmm !

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:07

On August 4, 2007, The Rolling Stones, got a 2 out of 5 review for the gig at Ullevi in Gothenburg, Sweden, of tabloid Aftonbladets music reviewer Markus Larsson, 34.

A review that enraged guitarist Keith Richards, 67.

Afterwards, he demanded a public apology.

What was at that review that Keith demanded an apology then and still after 3 years is so angry? Did somebody say he has a little cock?

Date: November 10, 2010 13:10

Can anyone dig up the original review (an English translation of it) ?

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:14

Keith will be offering to fight most of the posters on this forum soon.

Posted by: praline ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:17

How can this journalist feel threatened by a 50kg 68yo old guy who would probably die of a heart-attack if he ran 15meters ?

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:20

i wish keith could get proudmary in a room and turn out the lights,,,

anyone who cant take that Keith still stands up for himself and still has that dont give a shit attitude, is because they have never had it and never will, and dont understand,,

and for christ sake Keith please never grow up,, leave that to the 30 yr old cry babies,,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-10 13:34 by northernale1.

Date: November 10, 2010 13:22

praline
How can this journalist feel threatened by a 50kg 68yo old guy who would probably die of a heart-attack if he ran 15meters ?

A "50 kg 68 year old" could still pick up a "blunt instrument" and give you a resounding whack across the head with it ... and it would probably hurt !!

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:27

paulywaul
Can anyone dig up the original review (an English translation of it) ?

In short the review said that Mick was in fine form, but Keith who used to be the engine of the group just seemed old, tired and uninspired.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:30

Right now, I cannot see the funny side of this.

I can >grinning smiley<

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:30

Keith, grow up for god's sake. You should have more self respect than that.
Seriously, who cares about about a bad review? Every band will get at least one.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:35

Svartmer
In short the review said that Mick was in fine form, but Keith who used to be the engine of the group just seemed old, tired and uninspired.

Which was probably the reality. Keith was awful at times during the latter stages of the A Bigger Bang tour. I understand he was somewhat affected by his medication, but still, the general decline is there for everyone to hear.

If Keith can't take a bit of criticism, then he's the lesser man.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:51

"He drank something yellow"
It's called a screwdricer you moron.
I read the original review. One thing was the slaughter of Keith's performance,
but the worst about it was the arrogance of Markus Larsson, how he made fun of Keith and disrespected him like he was just another overrated guitarplayer from an average band. I can understand why Keith does not want to be interviewed by this ignorant swede.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-10 13:51 by The Worst..

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:56

A none-journalist like George Michael-die-hard-fan Markus Larsson should stay away from every situation where rock'n'roll is on the wall..

Believe me, Keith did fully right..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:56

This reporter wrote that KR looked and played as i f he were drunk...........
By that time KR was on heavy medication, he looked really sick, and his wife was diagnosed and surgically operated of a serious tumoral disease.

I should have break the reporter's head even if 20 years had passed since the ufortunate report

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:59

I was at the show in Gothenburg in 2007, and I spent the pre show time with Keith, Blondie and two other people in his Camp X-ray. Keith was sober. He was NOT drinking alcohol.
The show was brilliant and I believe the Swedish tabloid bastards had decided they wanted to slaughter the show in advance. They wanted a "scandal" like Helsinki, when they accused Keith of being drunk. He was not, he was sick. Anyway. Keith was appalled by the review and for the first time in history, he wrote to the editor and demanded an appology - because the review was crap and full of lies.
When that same low brow tabloid choses to send the only Swedish reporter Keith hates to interview him about the book, that is really bad judgement. Even worse: That's a provocation! They wanted a "different story".
I cannot even imagine how the Swedish publisher, Norstedts, could allow Aftonbladet to send the reporter in question. The publisher didn't do their job.
Aftonbladet screwed up and Keith did the only right thing by leaving the room.

However: I'm SO happy to say that he had really nice, long chats with the reporters I picked out to interview Keith. I picked nice, intelligent people with a great knowledge of the music history, a passion for the Stones and huge admiration for Keith.
After the interview one of them said: I'll have to speak with my wife about retiring now. I have met God!

Date: November 10, 2010 13:59

Larsson is a c%nt! Way to go, keith - although threatening reporters is a bit too much winking smiley

Posted by: praline ()
Date: November 10, 2010 14:01

Ah, at last the cavalry of our emotional fans is back !

I agree, this journalist should be prosecuted for having written that keith looked drunk, that cant be the case. And rating him below 4/5 should be sentenced with jail.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 10, 2010 14:08

This journalist needs a punishment: Two days haring MJ doing sacles exercices

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: November 10, 2010 14:09

I wouldn't mess with Keith. I am glad he still has some fight left him. I hope he lets it out on his guitar! I love Keith! What would people expect? He nailed a guy with a telecaster And used to carry a gun but decided to carry a kneif instead! The reporter is a tabloid reporter. So everything he says because he has made a profession of lying much like a politician. He knew what what he was doing and this is exactly what the reporter wanted. Well if wanted to oblige him then I will be happy to lend my tele! Tabloid Journalists are scum! Go Keith!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 10, 2010 14:12

Why do I get the feeling he wanted to provoke Keith by mentioning that gig?
Now the guy gets a great story and his 10 minutes of fame (woulda been 30). spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
He got exactly what he wanted, let's face it.

If he had stuck to talking about the thing that he was there for (the book) none of this would've happened. Another calculated leech if you ask me.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 10, 2010 14:14

Aftonbladet only sent that freaking idiot to provoke Keith. That's NOT smart. I was there and I predicted this would happen. But the Swedish publishing house is to blame. They should have requested info on the reporters. The result would have been a lot better...

Date: November 10, 2010 14:18

Addicted
I was at the show in Gothenburg in 2007, and I spent the pre show time with Keith, Blondie and two other people in his Camp X-ray. Keith was sober. He was NOT drinking alcohol.
The show was brilliant and I believe the Swedish tabloid bastards had decided they wanted to slaughter the show in advance. They wanted a "scandal" like Helsinki, when they accused Keith of being drunk. He was not, he was sick. Anyway. Keith was appalled by the review and for the first time in history, he wrote to the editor and demanded an appology - because the review was crap and full of lies.
When that same low brow tabloid choses to send the only Swedish reporter Keith hates to interview him about the book, that is really bad judgement. Even worse: That's a provocation! They wanted a "different story".
I cannot even imagine how the Swedish publisher, Norstedts, could allow Aftonbladet to send the reporter in question. The publisher didn't do their job.
Aftonbladet screwed up and Keith did the only right thing by leaving the room.

However: I'm SO happy to say that he had really nice, long chats with the reporters I picked out to interview Keith. I picked nice, intelligent people with a great knowledge of the music history, a passion for the Stones and huge admiration for Keith.
After the interview one of them said: I'll have to speak with my wife about retiring now. I have met God!

Thank you for this input, I kind of felt there was a little more to it than the way it initially came across ............

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 10, 2010 14:18

praline
Ah, at last the cavalry of our emotional fans is back !

I agree, this journalist should be prosecuted for having written that keith looked drunk, that cant be the case. And rating him below 4/5 should be sentenced with jail.

Fact is that many people on this board wrote a lot of less favourable comments about Keith during that tour.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: November 10, 2010 14:21

I remember well that this reporte claimed Keith for beeing drunk on stage, afterwards he apologised. So he should know that he took a big change when he asked about the yellow glass that day.
Proubly the forgotten journalist got the new publicity he want and can write about himself instead of Keith.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2059
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home