Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15
Re: Keith says No new MT overdubs!
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 7, 2010 11:17

Right! I just caught that! My bad.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 7, 2010 12:04

Ladies and Gentlemen... from the base of what is said here, it looks like that the natural explanation is finally to be achieved to this matter... I wrote in the first page of this thread:

Doxa
[...] but denying the presence of an old band member in a session happened last year sounds strange. He really didn't knew Taylor being around, or he doesn't want to admit it. Or Taylor wasn't there. I don't take sides here, but the whole thing sounds odd.

- Doxa

So if the Taylor over-dub session ever took place it happened after Keith made the interview. So Keith is not not telling lies here (that's what my guess was in the first place because I don't see the reason for him really to lie about it.)

But it interesting that Jagger finally decided in the very lmte phase of the project that Taylor is really needed to add some stuff. But Most likely bringing Taylor to the project wasn't a kind of move Jagger wanted to shout out loud either. (I think Taylor actually did those sessions because why should he lie about it either? C'mon, why should we start thinking that the people are supposed to lie for whatever motives - quite twisted reasoning, actuallysad smiley)

By acoording to this explanation no one is lying... doesn't it sound the most reasonable explanation after-all?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 12:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 7, 2010 12:05

71Tele
Mathijs
Mathijs
Ps If not being able to hear Keith on PMS is like stating Keith isn't very prominent on Honky Tonk Women.

Yes, except Mr. Jagger has been known to do a fairly credible 5-string open G Keith imitation.

How important is it to know if Taylor's overdubs are recent or not..it are overdubs btw.
Most important fact is that it is Taylor,both lead and rythm. I wouln't be surprsed if the 3th guitar isn't Taylor too, BTW It's not that difficult to sound like Keith with open G if you are a bit of a guitar player. With all respect for Keith btw,he made the sound popular.mainly by creating great songs..

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 7, 2010 12:15

Gazza
skipstone
More, in this case.

I was just going by what Charlie said in some interview recently - that Bill Plummer did not record anything for Exile. According to Charlie that is.

thats not what he said. In the 'Classic Rock' interview anyway.

'So how was working with Bill Plummer?'

'Who's Bill Plummer?'

'He played stand up bass on 'Rip This Joint' and 'All Down The Line..'

'What? On here?', Charlie asks, gesturing towards 'Exile's cover.

No surprise that Charlie didnt know who he was. As any creditable journalist would have known, Plummer's parts were added in LA post-Nellcote. Charlie wasn't present at those sessions.

Ha ha - right, that's what I said Charlie said that he didn't actually say. Which, ha ha, I find to be more believable anyway!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 7, 2010 12:27

Gazza
His Majesty
Gazza
His Majesty
I'll ask again. Does it say in the Guitar World interview when it took place? confused smiley

No, but it says where - Mercer Hotel, New York.

Keith's interview for 'Uncut' was done in the same location - in December 2009, so I would assume its from the same interview session.

Thanks for replying Gazza! thumbs up

So it's possible that Mick Taylor overdubbed on to PMS after Keith's interview took place.

The rumours on here about Taylor adding overdubs certainly didnt start until after that. Probably Feb/March.

February/March what? 2010?

It is totally impossible to record overdubs, mix, master and then release it on the scale of a Stones release in a period not extending 2 months.

From overdub to release takes anywhere between 9 to 18 months for a band as big as the Stones.

Mathijs

Date: May 7, 2010 12:30

skipstone
Gazza
skipstone
More, in this case.

I was just going by what Charlie said in some interview recently - that Bill Plummer did not record anything for Exile. According to Charlie that is.

thats not what he said. In the 'Classic Rock' interview anyway.

'So how was working with Bill Plummer?'

'Who's Bill Plummer?'

'He played stand up bass on 'Rip This Joint' and 'All Down The Line..'

'What? On here?', Charlie asks, gesturing towards 'Exile's cover.

No surprise that Charlie didnt know who he was. As any creditable journalist would have known, Plummer's parts were added in LA post-Nellcote. Charlie wasn't present at those sessions.

Ha ha - right, that's what I said Charlie said that he didn't actually say. Which, ha ha, I find to be more believable anyway!

Exactly. To me it sounds a bit strange to use Charlie Watts as an authority to some sessions that happened goddamn knows how many years and sessions ago. Of any people related to the Stones, he is the last and least one to make notes what exactly happened. I don't he really cares so much these kind of things. But the above... that's our Charlie I recognize... grinning smiley

(But of Charlie and of his memory to related one subside theme in this theread: it is him who remembers Jagger writing good ballads WITH BILLY PRESTON in the early seventies... I guess that's the category under which we fill find "100 Yaers Ago".. but the credition business - I don't go there now!!!cool smiley)

Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 12:34 by Doxa.

Date: May 7, 2010 12:32

Amsterdamned
71Tele
Mathijs
Mathijs
Ps If not being able to hear Keith on PMS is like stating Keith isn't very prominent on Honky Tonk Women.

Yes, except Mr. Jagger has been known to do a fairly credible 5-string open G Keith imitation.

How important is it to know if Taylor's overdubs are recent or not..it are overdubs btw.
Most important fact is that it is Taylor,both lead and rythm. I wouln't be surprsed if the 3th guitar isn't Taylor too, BTW It's not that difficult to sound like Keith with open G if you are a bit of a guitar player. With all respect for Keith btw,he made the sound popular.mainly by creating great songs..

You continue to post this crap. Why?

The open G rythm guitar on this track is signature Keith. It has the exact phrasing of keith, it has the same sound as various other tracks from the sessions (Tops for example), he's credited for playing it (and the Stones always have been fairly honest in their credits, see Sway and Moonlight Mile on SF), Taylor hasn't played anything in over 40 years that remotely resembles the playing and sound on this track, and he sure wouldn't be capable to pull that off these days.

It's just utter nonsense.

Mathijs

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 7, 2010 12:33

Doxa
Ladies and Gentlemen... from the base of what is said here, it looks like that the natural explanation is finally to be achieved to this matter... I wrote in the first page of this thread:

Doxa
[...] but denying the presence of an old band member in a session happened last year sounds strange. He really didn't knew Taylor being around, or he doesn't want to admit it. Or Taylor wasn't there. I don't take sides here, but the whole thing sounds odd.

- Doxa

So if the Taylor over-dub session ever took place it happened after Keith made the interview. So Keith is not not telling lies here (that's what my guess was in the first place because I don't see the reason for him really to lie about it.)

But it interesting that Jagger finally decided in the very lmte phase of the project that Taylor is really needed to add some stuff. But Most likely bringing Taylor to the project wasn't a kind of move Jagger wanted to shout out loud either. (I think Taylor actually did those sessions because why should he lie about it either? C'mon, why should we start thinking that the people are supposed to lie for whatever motives - quite twisted reasoning, actuallysad smiley)

By acoording to this explanation no one is lying... doesn't it sound the most reasonable explanation after-all?

- Doxa

Well said! I appreciate it when people brings threads back on track. I can't believe some people here had to start arguing about Taylor and Wood and their songwriting credits AGAIN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 12:36 by LieB.

Date: May 7, 2010 12:43

Mathijs

It is totally impossible to record overdubs, mix, master and then release it on the scale of a Stones release in a period not extending 2 months.

From overdub to release takes anywhere between 9 to 18 months for a band as big as the Stones.

Mathijs

But you know, Mathijs, that is the reason why the guitar lead was mixed so goddamn loud and poorly grinning smiley... And having Keith meanwhile in Bahamas (or wherever) might something to do why "a band as big as the Stones" might get some quick results... And this is not a typical Stones recording at all...

I would be more careful wih the term "impossible".. these people do sometimes quite impossible sounding things...

(But it was quite possible that the Taylor session took place earlier and Keith wasn't informed - for whatever reason.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 12:49 by Doxa.

Date: May 7, 2010 12:49

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
71Tele
Mathijs
Mathijs

The open G rythm guitar on this track is signature Keith. It has the exact phrasing of keith, it has the same sound as various other tracks from the sessions (Tops for example), he's credited for playing it (and the Stones always have been fairly honest in their credits, see Sway and Moonlight Mile on SF), Taylor hasn't played anything in over 40 years that remotely resembles the playing and sound on this track, and he sure wouldn't be capable to pull that off these days.

Mathijs

It's no crap.It's the truth,and thanks,I don't need an ego-boost.
You are a Keith fan, I'am a Taylor Fan,(and a Keith fan too)and I have a sense for objectivity.
If that's a reason for you to explode,feel free to do so.

Date: May 7, 2010 13:02

Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

But you know, Mathijs, that is the reason why the guitar lead was mixed so goddamn loud and poorly grinning smiley... And having Keith meanwhile in Bahamas (or wherever) might something to do why "a band as big as the Stones" might get some quick results... And this is not a typical Stones recording at all...

I would be more careful wih the term "impossible".. these people do sometimes quite impossible sounding things...

(But it was quite possible that the Taylor session took place earlier and Keith wasn't informed - for whatever reason.)

- Doxa

To a bit back up the world of possibilities. According to [www.timeisonourside.com] Pete Townshead added his contribution to "Slave" in April 1981. TATTOO YOU was released in August 1981. And I think what they have done with Deluxe EXILE can be compared to TATTOO YOU project (and Jagger uses less cocaine drugs and alcohol than he did then, and the album was released according to match with US American tour schedule.). So I don't see the time schedule a real problem here if there is a will.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 13:05 by Doxa.

Date: May 7, 2010 13:03

Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

- Doxa

The biggest constraint is not so much the recording etc (you can do that quickly if needed), but to prepare and print the artwork, have the CD's printed, provide all internet shops like Itunes with the track etc., start up the promotion, have the video's ready etc etc. All this in a world-wide scale -you just need anywhere between 9 to 18 months to set this up.

Mathijs

Date: May 7, 2010 13:05

Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
71Tele
Mathijs
Mathijs

Mathijs

You are a Keith fan, I'am a Taylor Fan,(and a Keith fan too)and I have a sense for objectivity.

I am a Stones fan, not a Keith, Taylor, Wood or Jones fan.

Do you have any actual proof that Taylor is playing the open G part, other than just repeatedly stating "it's Taylor?

Mathijs

Date: May 7, 2010 13:08

Mathijs
Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

- Doxa

The biggest constraint is not so much the recording etc (you can do that quickly if needed), but to prepare and print the artwork, have the CD's printed, provide all internet shops like Itunes with the track etc., start up the promotion, have the video's ready etc etc. All this in a world-wide scale -you just need anywhere between 9 to 18 months to set this up.

Mathijs

I can see that but do you think that the things have changed so much from the TATTOO YOU days? I think it is nowadays techically possible even quicker to accompish all these matters than in those vinyl days. If there is a will. (Unless you didn't notice my earlier point about TATTOO YOU, check it above.)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 13:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: orson ()
Date: May 7, 2010 13:13

I dont understand why Jagger should have booked Mick Taylor to do the overdubs. Its very easier and faster if a normal studio musician made it, maybe Don Was himself did it.

Date: May 7, 2010 13:14

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
71Tele
Mathijs
Mathijs

Mathijs

Do you have any actual proof that Taylor is playing the open G part, other than just repeatedly stating "it's Taylor?

Mathijs

That's a good question. No I don't have.But I can imagine it could be Taylor,after listening a 1000 times.. I do have the proof that the other guitars are all Taylor. And that's no ego boost.

Date: May 7, 2010 13:22

orson
I dont understand why Jagger should have booked Mick Taylor to do the overdubs. Its very easier and faster if a normal studio musician made it, maybe Don Was himself did it.

Maybe he thought that it is The Song that needed something special in it because he knew it was going to be the leading track (single) of the 'new' material. Maybe he felt nostalgic. Maybe he wanted to be authentic. I don't know.

I don' try to ask Jagger's motives. Most of the people here - who happen to have followed this guy's career for 'some' years - would not have believed some 18 months ago that Mick Jagger would any day do something so "nostalgic" and "retro" as opening up the vaults for some 40 years old album.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 13:24 by Doxa.

Date: May 7, 2010 13:23

Doxa
Mathijs
Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

- Doxa

Mathijs

I can see that but do you think that the things have changed so much from the TATTOO YOU days? I think it is nowadays techically possible even quicker to accompish all these matters than in those vinyl days. If there is a will.

- Doxa

Well, Jagger did the vocal overdubs in March and April 1981, and TY was released 4 months later. The project had started mid-1980. I don't know if it was easier back then...I would say so, looking at the video's they shot for hang Fire etc!

Mathijs

Date: May 7, 2010 13:24

<Most important fact is that it is Taylor,both lead and rythm.>

No need to take this too far. Taylor is clearly not playing rhythm on PMS. The debate is wether Jagger or Richards plays the open G-rhythm guitar. For me, it sounds very much like Keith. The acoustic strumming sounds like a Jagger overdub to me. If Taylor did the overdub recently, they have done a heck of a job making it sound as a 70s recording, because that's what it sounds like.

BTW, why do you state that it's a fact that Taylor plays the Open G rhythm guitar on PMS - it would be a major surprise if he did??

Date: May 7, 2010 13:26

Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
71Tele
Mathijs
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

That's a good question. No I don't have.But I can imagine it could be Taylor,after listening a 1000 times.. I do have the proof that the other guitars are all Taylor. And that's no ego boost.

Do you really think that the open G part sounds even remotely like anything Taylor as done in 40 years? What would that be then?

And let's say Richards did the open G. Then According to you Taylor did the solo guitar (we all agree on that) AND the acoustic guitar.

Why is Jagger then credited for playing guitar on the track?

And why does the acoustic guitar sounds exactly like the acoustic Mick's been playing on tour for the last 30 years?

Mathijs

Date: May 7, 2010 13:27

Mathijs
Doxa
Mathijs
Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

- Doxa

Mathijs

I can see that but do you think that the things have changed so much from the TATTOO YOU days? I think it is nowadays techically possible even quicker to accompish all these matters than in those vinyl days. If there is a will.

- Doxa

Well, Jagger did the vocal overdubs in March and April 1981, and TY was released 4 months later. The project had started mid-1980. I don't know if it was easier back then...I would say so, looking at the video's they shot for hang Fire etc!

Mathijs

Aah, the best videoes they ever have done! But to be fair: the video of "Plundered My Soul" probably didn't too much effort from them either...

- Doxa

Posted by: orson ()
Date: May 7, 2010 13:30

old man are going to be "nostalgic"

anyway I love the single and I´m sure I will love the other "new" tracks

Date: May 7, 2010 13:31

<I do have the proof that the other guitars are all Taylor. And that's no ego boost.>

So where is it? Do you really think the acoustic guitar sounds anywhere near what Taylor would play?

The basic strumming in the beginning of the track leads me to beleive that Jagger made the acoustic overdub. Neither Keith, let alone Taylor would play like that these days. And it sure sounds like a new overdub (that's a guitar sound they didn't bother to "disguise").

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 7, 2010 13:50

A huge variety of projects can be done on one small laptop, from initial contact to fully formed physical product. I have no trouble accepting that something being finished up at the start of the year could be in the shops by April/May of the same year.

Printing etc could have been done before the music was actually finished, Taylor is probably on all of the old/new tracks already so crediting him is a non issue whether he adds something new or not. Vocals were done and dusted last year?

Universal clearly have the will, organization and clout(£££$$$) to make most things happen when they need them to. This made far more easier due to the fact some of the stones themselves are actively participating.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 7, 2010 14:26

Yes, if Taylor was called in at the last minute, by that time they were already organizing/realising many parts of the project (videos, artwork, promotion). MT's guitar parts are a minor thing in the big picture. And as far as recording/producing goes, it's probably a bit faster than in the Tattoo You days (of vinyl and tape and no internet), even for a huge band like the Stones.

If Taylor himself said he overdubbed on PMS -- and TebbyB's claims seem reliable as well -- I believe he did. Keith is either misinformed or he was asked before it was done. But wonder if anyone would ask him the question before they even heard the rumors/information.

Date: May 7, 2010 14:41

LieB
But wonder if anyone would ask him the question before they even heard the rumors/information.

That's a good point. Why to ask that very question if there was not some rumours already going on? It's not so obvious question to ask from Keith Richards at all. But it is quite odd to believe that Keith would not have been aware of it...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 14:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: CMan ()
Date: May 7, 2010 14:45

Keith did his Guitar World interview "phoning in from a small island in the West Indies" (not from NYC's Mercer Hotel as someone stated above...that was just the Uncut interview). I haven't read the entire GW interview yet, but I haven't seen that it says WHEN it was conducted...I think it would be kind of strange if it happened in December, because the interviewer asks about the rumors of MT playing overdubs on the unreleased stuff, and there WERE no rumors of that sort until AT LEAST late January, right?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 7, 2010 14:51

with sssoul
nonfilter
I just finished reading the Keith interview in the new Guitar World, and he says the rumors of Mick Taylor doing new guitar overdubs on Exile are completely false.

sorry if i missed it amid all this brouhaha - has anyone posted what Keith actually said in this interview?
if not, could someone scan and post it, please and thank you kindly?
in fact nonfilter's paraphrase sounds like Keith meant there were no new overdubs on the 18 original Exile tracks,
which is not news.

but meanwhile ... if he did mean the previously-unreleased tracks ...

cc
with sssoul
Gazza
Doesn't say much for Keith's involvement in the new Exile either IMO.

it says plenty about his non-involvement with recent overdubs, at least to Plundered My Soul.
but that doesn't imply that he was underinvolved in other aspects of the project.

what else would you say the project involved? Selecting the tracks?

yeah, cc, selecting the tracks among other things - i'd say there's a whole lot to do
when the aim is to turn a bunch of unfinished/unedited material into a diskworth of releaseable tracks.
even if Keith was left out of the loop (or bowed out of it) regarding what was done to Plundered
(or if signals got crossed regarding what the Official Story should be, or if they're confusing us on purpose)
that doesn't mean he was underinvolved in the rest of it.

A very valid point.

Date: May 7, 2010 14:56

Jut to add one funny thing...

If it is true that Keith was not informed about Taylor-session, and he is finally sent the the brand-new single (or he hears it from the radio), and hen he starts listening... what will happen???.... "Where the fvck did that lead guitar came from!"... Just think of the scene...eye popping smiley

But then again... didn't he once described listening to STICKY FINGERS after it was realesed and of "Moonlight Mile" and wondering if he had something to with the riff or not... And isn't he teh guy who says loves listening to old Stones records and discovering things he couldn't remember there being at all...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: May 7, 2010 15:03

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
71Tele
Mathijs
Mathijs

Mathijs
proof in the pudding . Mathijs is right .that rhythm guitar is pure keith .you just have to listen to keith's signature sound which he is world famous for ,as for the lead that's vintage taylor just like Mathijs says like the stones tune tops.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1255
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home