Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15
Re: Keith says No new MT overdubs!
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 8, 2010 18:18

TeddyB1018
I'd suggest you could just ignore my posts.

Don't want to ignore info like this which might be true... and if so, very significant.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 8, 2010 20:39

kleermaker
Then why did I get that impression? I'm not stupid, as you know very well. I asked you for a less enigmatic explanation, but I obviously didn't get it. It could be useful, because I take your words seriously.

The reason why I post this is that I'm sorry if we can't communicate in a useful and agreeable way, because I have the feeling we once did.

Ok, allow me to waffle on for a bit, might make sense, might not...

The bad vibes, as I percieve it, is coming from a whole number of people, including myself. Seems like it's caught more people in it's sway over the past months, present before you joined I may add.

I think the whole Exile + bonus tracks remaster has ignited a lot of thoughts and passion in people.

You clearly have a lot to say, some of it very very interesting and illuminating, but for me to say you are solely responsible for what I percieve to be an increase in bad vibes would be quite an ignorant and nasty thing for me to say.

You must admit you have played a part in it too though!? grinning smiley

Were someone new to join up, who had a liking for the Ron Wood era, it's almost guaranteed that any positive thread that member started about his favourite guitarist would end up being a total festival of bitching, arguing and 'competition' regarding standards of playing etc. That sucks! thumbs down

I wish people would let subjects they know they strongly feel negative about be discussed by those that like whatever it is go ahead without contributing a mass of negative posts.

I'm looking in the mirror regarding that point as I've been guilty of it myself, ie saying MT clips sound like pub rock bands etc before. I felt the same about the most recent clips too, but rather than be vocal about, I chose to keep it to myself and let those who enjoy it, enjoy it and also out of respect for the man who is in hospital. There's simply nothing to be gained by me saying what I felt about the playing.

I have a strong belief in a quote by Robert Fripp...

''We recognize in others, that which we know most deeply in ourselves.''

So Mathijs and I pointing out apparent thread destruction by kleermaker = Mathijs and I have destroyed threads before with unnecessary or uncalled for comments, but are probably being too egotistical at the time to admit it when making the claim about someone else. sad smiley

Essentially what I'm saying, if we find ourselves arguing so much, and imo that is happening a lot here, maybe we could take stock of how we post and interact with fellow members a bit inorder to try and keep the forum interesting to read, but still relatively fun to be a member of.

By typing too much I've lost my train of thought, so I'll leave it there.

smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-08 20:58 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: May 8, 2010 21:44

People fight on internet message boards because they spend too much time sitting in front of the computer and get angry and burned out from doing nothing. It's the same on every board eventually. The subjects and players don't matter.

Date: May 8, 2010 21:53

Brue
People fight on internet message boards because they spend too much time sitting in front of the computer and get angry and burned out from doing nothing. It's the same on every board eventually. The subjects and players don't matter.

Very true!

I think IORR - TELL ME is a vast ocean of Rolling Stones information, it's the best place to come if you want to learn things about the band, better than Rocks Off, Shidoobee etc etc. The many uploads by generous members makes it even more of a gem.

However, lately it's been harder to actually read the information being posted due to the amount of arguing and bitching going on. thumbs down

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-08 21:58 by His Majesty.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 8, 2010 22:07

I was at the Mick Taylor's last show before he took ill at the Bull Run here in Massachussets and I asked him if he played on any of the tracks on the upcoming Exile release while he was signing autographs for me and he said he played on one track. I did not have time to ask him which one but he was pretty clear he did play on one track...

He also said he might do some more studio work on future releases..........

Can't confirm what he says is true but it came right from the man himself....

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 8, 2010 22:15

His Majesty
kleermaker
Then why did I get that impression? I'm not stupid, as you know very well. I asked you for a less enigmatic explanation, but I obviously didn't get it. It could be useful, because I take your words seriously.

The reason why I post this is that I'm sorry if we can't communicate in a useful and agreeable way, because I have the feeling we once did.

Ok, allow me to waffle on for a bit, might make sense, might not...

The bad vibes, as I percieve it, is coming from a whole number of people, including myself. Seems like it's caught more people in it's sway over the past months, present before you joined I may add.

I think the whole Exile + bonus tracks remaster has ignited a lot of thoughts and passion in people.

You clearly have a lot to say, some of it very very interesting and illuminating, but for me to say you are solely responsible for what I percieve to be an increase in bad vibes would be quite an ignorant and nasty thing for me to say.

You must admit you have played a part in it too though!? grinning smiley

Were someone new to join up, who had a liking for the Ron Wood era, it's almost guaranteed that any positive thread that member started about his favourite guitarist would end up being a total festival of bitching, arguing and 'competition' regarding standards of playing etc. That sucks! thumbs down

I wish people would let subjects they know they strongly feel negative about be discussed by those that like whatever it is go ahead without contributing a mass of negative posts.

I'm looking in the mirror regarding that point as I've been guilty of it myself, ie saying MT clips sound like pub rock bands etc before. I felt the same about the most recent clips too, but rather than be vocal about, I chose to keep it to myself and let those who enjoy it, enjoy it and also out of respect for the man who is in hospital. There's simply nothing to be gained by me saying what I felt about the playing.

So Mathijs and I pointing out apparent thread destruction by kleermaker = Mathijs and I have destroyed threads before with unnecessary or uncalled for comments, but are probably being too egotistical at the time to admit it when making the claim about someone else. sad smiley

Essentially what I'm saying, if we find ourselves arguing so much, and imo that is happening a lot here, maybe we could take stock of how we post and interact with fellow members a bit inorder to try and keep the forum interesting to read, but still relatively fun to be a member of.

By typing too much I've lost my train of thought, so I'll leave it there.

smileys with beer

Well this is a very worthwhile explanation, HM. I can endorse it. And yes, I admit I've acted badly as well, but not because of the reasons brue mentioned, otherwise I wouldn't have posted also interesting posts, and, modest as I am, I think I did a few times. I recognize a lot in your post. So it was a good one for me. Thanks for that! Much appreciated.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 8, 2010 22:19

I need to get up to speed on this, 12 pages in two days, can someone sum up this topic in a short paragraph so that I can avoid reading a thesis on this.

I guess the title says it all.

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: May 8, 2010 22:25

Summary:

Keith says No new MT overdubs!

Who you gonna believe, Keith or your lying ears?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 8, 2010 22:32

oldschool
I was at the Mick Taylor's last show before he took ill at the Bull Run here in Massachussets and I asked him if he played on any of the tracks on the upcoming Exile release while he was signing autographs for me and he said he played on one track. I did not have time to ask him which one but he was pretty clear he did play on one track...

He also said he might do some more studio work on future releases..........

Can't confirm what he says is true but it came right from the man himself....

Thanks oldschool. Your story combined with this one: <Re: Keith says No new MT overdubs!
Posted by: kensbro ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:51

At Northampton MA, one week ago, MT was asked directly what he had recently overdubbed for the new EOMS release.

I heard him say, simply: "Plundered My Soul".>

is reason enough to me to believe Taylor meant PMS and that it actually happened, because I see no reason to think Taylor, you or kensbro didn't tell the truth.

Now I'm waiting for the Exile Bonus CD. Just a little week to go!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 8, 2010 23:28

His Majesty

Well said Majesty, I fully agree. There's been some discussions -Neptune comes to mind- that could have benefited from a more restrained version of myself. And I think the biggest challenge for anyone new on a board is exactly that: restrain yourself. You don't have reply to every post, and your ego is not boosted by a claim you know something but you can't reveal the source. We all know its bollocks.

Let's keep this board the best Stones board on the net.

Mathijs

Date: May 8, 2010 23:31

Doxa
open-g
I'm under the impression that work got a little hectic as the release date got nearer. (same impression I had with ABB, btw.)

Yeah, talking about ABB. I check few details from timeisonourside.com that I find appropriate to point out here while speculating if it was technically possible for Taylor to make his over-dubs in the beginning of the year:

* June 6-28, 2005: The Rolling Stones hold overdubbing and mixing sessions for A Bigger Bang at Ocean Way Recording Studios in Los Angeles, California.

* August 22, 2005: The Rolling Stones' lead single off their next album, Streets of Love / Rough Justice, is released.

* September 6, 2005: The Rolling Stones' 24th U.S. and 22nd UK studio album - and first in eight years - A Bigger Bang, is released.

By the time he stopped overdubbing and mixing session it wouldn't take even two months to get the single out of the album. So I think there is no reason to claim that it was technically impossible that still EVEN in February for Taylor to have made his contribution - which probably wasn't such a big cake at all. And Taylor is famous - or that was what the engineers said in the early 70's - for making his parts in one/two takes.

- Doxa

I am convinced, they do not need a longer period of time between overdubs and actual releasing it.

Mathijs

Date: May 8, 2010 23:33

Amsterdamned
<Or, of course, Taylor is stating the same crap as he stated when talking about Can't You Hear Me Knocking, that he did the intro with Keith...>

Mathijs

Anybody knows what crap is referred to,and who played the second guitar?

(Keith and I) both played on (the intro) actually, it was one of the few, well not of the few Stones tracks because lots of tracks we recorded with the Stones in those days were actually by and large recorded live the way you would play them onstage, sometimes even in 1 or 2 takes. Very rarely were guitar solos overdubbed, I mean other things may have been overdubbed, but very rarely were guitar solos overdubbed, they were usually sort of done with the backing track so they were done live.

- Mick Taylor, 1995

Can't You Hear Me Knocking... is one of my favorites... (The jam at the end) just happened by accident; that was never planned. Towards the end of the song I just felt like carrying on playing. Everybody was putting their instruments down, but the tape was still rolling and it sounded good, so everybody quickly picked up their instruments again and carried on playing. It just happened, and it was a one-take thing. A lot of people seem to really like that part.

- Mick Taylor, 1979

Mathijs

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 9, 2010 00:16

schillid
TeddyB1018
I'd suggest you could just ignore my posts.

Don't want to ignore info like this which might be true... and if so, very significant.

I have better things to do than post untruths. I'm a longtime Stones fan lucky enough to know some of the relevant players, as we say in Los Angeles, whether or not my use of the preview button passes muster. Incidentially, the discussion about poor communication is close to the mark. Mick and Keith did their work on this in the studio separately, but both were involved.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-09 00:19 by TeddyB1018.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 9, 2010 01:24

His Majesty

Talking about Fripp:cool smiley

Date: May 9, 2010 06:54

fuman
Summary:

Keith says No new MT overdubs!

Who you gonna believe, Keith or your lying ears?

it would seem in this case my lying ears!

Date: May 9, 2010 11:53

[entertainment.timesonline.co.uk]

Plundered My Soul

Already being played on radio worldwide, another newly completed piece, one of several with new backing vocals by Lisa Fischer and Cindy Mizelle. It features both the original Richards guitar and new lines added by Mick Taylor.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 9, 2010 12:17

This is a perfect moment to end this thread -

Everybody seems to be happy, and Taylor plays on Plundered My Soul!smileys with beer

Although, if it continous, I´m curious enough to come back and check it out...grinning smiley

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: May 9, 2010 12:34

Brue

And they can say whatever they want anonymously without fear of real retribution, especially of the physical kind.

How many times have you been in conversation with an individual or group of people that you don't know very well, overheard something said by a stranger, or, as often happens on here, been rightly or wrongly put in your place for something you said by a know it all (*cough*Mathjis*cough*), and thought "What a f-ucking moron. I have half a mind to tear this idiot a new one for saying something so" stupid, wrong, offensive, annoying, or whatever the case may be. But you don't because it's rude, your afraid to, it's not worth risking it getting out of hand, the person really isn't worth it, you don't have the time, you can't say what you want and then just move on, or whatever the case may be.

Online you don't have to worry about that, people can say whatever they want behind the anonymity/safety that this medium provides.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 9, 2010 12:41

His Majesty
[entertainment.timesonline.co.uk]

Plundered My Soul

Already being played on radio worldwide, another newly completed piece, one of several with new backing vocals by Lisa Fischer and Cindy Mizelle. It features both the original Richards guitar and new lines added by Mick Taylor.
Perfect - let's stop guessing about everything, let's stop knowing better than the real facts / truth even if you like M. Taylor or not.
When M. Taylor says he was on PMS - he was. He has no need to come up front 40 years after and say "I was EOMS PMS" if he wasn't.
He has had a life after Stones for > 35 years and has no need claiming one or the other thing participating on Stones stuff.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 9, 2010 13:23

mtaylor
Perfect - let's stop guessing about everything, let's stop knowing better than the real facts / truth even if you like M. Taylor or not.
When M. Taylor says he was on PMS - he was. He has no need to come up front 40 years after and say "I was EOMS PMS" if he wasn't.
He has had a life after Stones for > 35 years and has no need claiming one or the other thing participating on Stones stuff.

Exactly! Being that he played on the other 17 or whatever number of original tracks on EOMS, he hardly needs to lie about PMS.

Date: May 9, 2010 13:32

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
<Or, of course, Taylor is stating the same crap as he stated when talking about Can't You Hear Me Knocking, that he did the intro with Keith...>

Mathijs

Anybody knows what crap is referred to,and who played the second guitar?

(Keith and I) both played on (the intro) actually, it was one of the few, well not of the few Stones tracks because lots of tracks we recorded with the Stones in those days were actually by and large recorded live the way you would play them onstage, sometimes even in 1 or 2 takes. Very rarely were guitar solos overdubbed, I mean other things may have been overdubbed, but very rarely were guitar solos overdubbed, they were usually sort of done with the backing track so they were done live.

- Mick Taylor, 1995

Can't You Hear Me Knocking... is one of my favorites... (The jam at the end) just happened by accident; that was never planned. Towards the end of the song I just felt like carrying on playing. Everybody was putting their instruments down, but the tape was still rolling and it sounded good, so everybody quickly picked up their instruments again and carried on playing. It just happened, and it was a one-take thing. A lot of people seem to really like that part.

- Mick Taylor, 1979

Mathijs

So the second guitar in the intro is not Mick then.I still don't get what crap you are talking.

Date: May 9, 2010 13:35

Amsterdamned

So the second guitar in the intro is not Mick then.I still don't get what crap you are talking.

I think the point here is that Micks guitar part doesn't come in until the vocals start and it seems very unlikely that his off the cuff jam story is true, atleast with regards to the released version.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 9, 2010 13:43

I wonder what their source(s) were for the info about "new lines" from MT. Perhaps Jagger himself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-09 13:43 by LieB.

Date: May 9, 2010 13:50

His Majesty
Amsterdamned

I think the point here is that Micks guitar part doesn't come in until the vocals start and it seems very unlikely that his off the cuff jam story is true, atleast with regards to the released version.

And the great intro continues during the song,and than Taylor plays along very tasty. Thanks,no I get it.Marginal matter of interpretation from Taylor I think.

Date: May 9, 2010 14:00

Amsterdamned
Marginal matter of interpretation from Taylor I think.

Indeed, misleading enough to make some people think Mick Taylor plays Keith's open G dirty guitar part. Doh! confused smiley

Date: May 9, 2010 14:02

LieB
I wonder what their source(s) were for the info about "new lines" from MT. Perhaps Jagger himself.

At least mine were better than Keith's.cool smiley
Wonder about the Ryhtm Guitar,anybody hears 3?

Date: May 9, 2010 14:02

LieB

Hehe think it's safe to assume it didn't come from Keith!? smiling bouncing smiley

Date: May 9, 2010 14:03

His Majesty
Amsterdamned
Marginal matter of interpretation from Taylor I think.

Indeed, misleading enough to make some people think Mick Taylor plays Keith's open G dirty guitar part. Doh! confused smiley

pfff...I don't think Taylors ego is that big.

Date: May 9, 2010 14:07

Amsterdamned

More to do with the people being, erm, rather clueless than Micks quote. grinning smiley

Date: May 9, 2010 14:20

His Majesty
Amsterdamned

More to do with the people being, erm, rather clueless than Micks quote. grinning smiley

Yes yes.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1485
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home