Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 15
Re: Keith says No new MT overdubs!
Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: May 7, 2010 00:49

72stones
At some point later on, could somebody either post the Guitar World interview with Keith here or provide a link to an online version of the interview if one exists? Thank you.
Ya ..good idea ,Good to here or rahter haer from you stones todd.
carry-on.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 00:52 by copsnrobbers.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 7, 2010 00:50

mickschix
Well, I guess no one wants to tell me when MT played in Northampton, Ma ...I GOOGLED it and StonesDoug's Shidoobee page came up with a load of awesome pictures from his April 29th gig...LAST THURSDAY! This must have been a last minute thing because the last I knew, he'd taken ill AGAIN, and had cancelled a ton of U.S gigs. I know he cancelled the NYC gig...right?
The rest of the U.S. tour has been cancelled Debra.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 7, 2010 01:11

I'm a "Taylorite" as much as any guy...but have to agree he wasn't such a huge musical influence on the Stones sound on the studio...they were going in that direction anyway...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 7, 2010 01:20

Again a perfect example of a good thread being wasted by the likes of Kleermaker c.s.

There's a good discussion, then you do something else for 30 minutes, come back to IORR, and there's a @#$%& 5 pages of useless and senseless posts from Kleermaker, banging on for ages about his demigod Taylor.

You are right Majesty, the vibe is going down in this board. The vibe and the level I would add.

Mathijs

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 7, 2010 01:26

stones78
I'm a "Taylorite" as much as any guy...but have to agree he wasn't such a huge musical influence on the Stones sound on the studio...they were going in that direction anyway...

i think he was an immense influence as a Rolling Stone. immense. 'that direction' is one thing. the 69 and 72 tours another. THE signature sound on sf, after a wonderful debut on lib and that little htw single etc.... come on now.... he changed everything. he saved the day. he rocketed the whole enterprise into it's finest hours...his rhythm support and signature grace notes and riffs and turns and his soaring leads etc....the stones ignited into GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD in the wake of their steaming tour in the grand new world of big rock pa systems and such....the competition was incredible, so many astonishing players and it was great cultural time or original expression before things got so uber commercialized and stripped to narrow demographics and soul killing thing pop became...taylor dubs or not don't know...whatever gazza says....ha... but he is like the HUGEST influence in the 'stones sound on the studio" he IS pure golden gift from God TOTAL ROLLING STONE.... moreso than perhaps brian in many many ways...and that's astonishing....moreso than ron for a variety of reasons, some clearly not due to ron's personal lack... taylor is ROLLING STONE... ok? Mick Taylor: Rolling Stone. that's the truth.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 7, 2010 01:28

Thanks SWEETCHARMEDLIFE. I'm pissed that I missed that one, being so close to home!! And to think I was trying to stay on top of his tour dates just so I wouldn't miss a show near where I live!! Some days you just can't win...YCAGWYW.

Posted by: dtklamf ()
Date: May 7, 2010 01:29

Thinking of the Rolling Stones as a big fishing boat.
You can have sailors on, but you know who the boat owners are.

And Mathijs, I agree with you. It is always the same thing with this guy.
We should all try to write some songs so MT can play live or make up a fund for the glorious times he had.

Next time I see MJ I will say something like: Hey Mick, go and fook yourself for not letting MT have some royalties for TWFNO .

Like this song has ever had any airplay.
What most people dont get is that MT was doing a job when he got in the Stones, not a bunch of friends that go out to party and share their drinks. And even in that case, some friends get more than other, thats a fact.

I mean, everyone is the owner of their own destiny. He didnt do his the best way for some of us, but there he is.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 7, 2010 01:41

Beelyboy
stones78

i think he was an immense influence as a Rolling Stone. immense. 'that direction' is one thing. the 69 and 72 tours another. THE signature sound on sf, after a wonderful debut on lib and that little htw single etc.... come on now.... he changed everything. he saved the day. he rocketed the whole enterprise into it's finest hours...his rhythm support and signature grace notes and riffs and turns and his soaring leads etc....the stones ignited into GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD in the wake of their steaming tour in the grand new world of big rock pa systems and such....the competition was incredible, so many astonishing players and it was great cultural time or original expression before things got so uber commercialized and stripped to narrow demographics and soul killing thing pop became...taylor dubs or not don't know...whatever gazza says....ha... but he is like the HUGEST influence in the 'stones sound on the studio" he IS pure golden gift from God TOTAL ROLLING STONE.... moreso than perhaps brian in many many ways...and that's astonishing....moreso than ron for a variety of reasons, some clearly not due to ron's personal lack... taylor is ROLLING STONE... ok? Mick Taylor: Rolling Stone. that's the truth.

I'm a huge Mick Taylor fan, he's a Rolling Stone, no doubt, I never said he's not...but at that time the Twins songwriting was at its peak, as were all the other Stones...I agree he was a big influence live, on tour it's where he really shines...but to me that "signature sound" on SF & Exile is all Keith & Charlie, and on Exile Taylor is hardly there...he plays his beautiful solos, which are amazing, but that, as was said here it's just "the icing on the cake"...and had Clapton or any other player in that style joined them in 69' it would have been more or less the same.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 7, 2010 02:01

Beelyboy
TOTAL ROLLING STONE.... moreso than perhaps brian in many many ways...

Er, no!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 7, 2010 02:05

Beelyboy

Beelyboy, your words always come straight out of your heart and I LOVE IT!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 7, 2010 02:27

Mick Taylor DID elevate the music to new heights when he was in the band, especially with the live performance. But to those saying he was only an asset live, you know better. 'Sway', 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking', and '100 Years Ago' were proof of that. He worked some magic in the studio as well. But to say they would have continued to achieve such heights had he stayed is nonsense. That's why it's called a PEAK - you hit the top, and then you go down the mountain again. No wonder he left after the Its Only Rock n Roll album - the songwriting was becoming tired and weak. All of the virtuoso guitar solos in the world could not salvage mediocre songs.

And to stay on topic, though I tend to be very suspicious of anything Keith says, it wouldn't surprise me too much if the leads on PMS were old takes. There's nothing outstanding there, just a lot of very nice but unremarkable noodling. And if this indeed WAS the work of modern day Mick Taylor, well, then he doesn't have much else to offer as a lead guitarist then, does he?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 7, 2010 02:36

skipstone
More, in this case.

I was just going by what Charlie said in some interview recently - that Bill Plummer did not record anything for Exile. According to Charlie that is.

thats not what he said. In the 'Classic Rock' interview anyway.

'So how was working with Bill Plummer?'

'Who's Bill Plummer?'

'He played stand up bass on 'Rip This Joint' and 'All Down The Line..'

'What? On here?', Charlie asks, gesturing towards 'Exile's cover.

No surprise that Charlie didnt know who he was. As any creditable journalist would have known, Plummer's parts were added in LA post-Nellcote. Charlie wasn't present at those sessions.

Date: May 7, 2010 02:39

JumpingKentFlash
Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
If neither Was, Jagger or Richards confirmed that Taylor did overdubs, and Taylor said he did, why would people believe Taylor? Is it because people don't like the Stones media machine and just disagrees with it for the sake of it and because it's too spin-doctory, or do they have any hard evidence (your ears don't count) that there actually was a recent session with Taylor doing overdubs?

Its got nothing to do with spin doctoring or media machines. Although if you want to open that can of worms with regard to Stones announcements in recent years which turned out to be untrue, it could be a long evening! The only spin I see seems to come from people who take everything Keith says at face value. I couldnt give a bollocks whether Taylor added overdubs or not, personally.

One guy says he played on a record, one other guy - who was 3,000 miles away - says the claim isnt accurate and that there's been no contact with him for years (which is untrue in itself) and two other guys who were most involved with mixing the record wont DENY it when theres no logical reason for them to do so.

And BEFORE anything was confirmed about what was happening with bonus material, one poster on this site mentioned inside info that Taylor HAD been given some material to overdub. Before it was even a rumour. It was dismissed by some as highky unlikely. Yet a couple of months later here we are with various band members unable to get a story straight about whether he did or not - and the subject himself claiming that he did (when he has nothing to gain by confirming or denying it).
So Taylor has nothing to gain you say? Would that be apart from more people at his concerts and boosted music sales?

Ok, then,thats it settled. He made it all up. And obviously he has some photos of Was and Jagger in uncompromising positions somewhere, which is why they wont actually confirm he's talking absolute bollocks.

Date: May 7, 2010 02:45

His Majesty
I'll ask again. Does it say in the Guitar World interview when it took place? confused smiley

No, but it says where - Mercer Hotel, New York.

Keith's interview for 'Uncut' was done in the same location - in December 2009, so I would assume its from the same interview session.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 7, 2010 02:57

Gazza
His Majesty
I'll ask again. Does it say in the Guitar World interview when it took place? confused smiley

Keith's interview for 'Uncut' was done in the same location - in December 2009, so I would assume its from the same interview session.

Thanks for replying Gazza! thumbs up

So it's possible that Mick Taylor overdubbed on to PMS after Keith's interview took place.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: May 7, 2010 02:59

It only says that the interview was by telephone from a tropical island.

[www.non-filters.com]

Date: May 7, 2010 03:03

His Majesty
Gazza
His Majesty

Thanks for replying Gazza! thumbs up

So it's possible that Mick Taylor overdubbed on to PMS after Keith's interview took place.

The rumours on here about Taylor adding overdubs certainly didnt start until after that. Probably Feb/March.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 7, 2010 03:23

I have wondered about this...

When we heard that PMS featured overdubs from Mick Taylor... did anyone ever read specifically that they were NEW overdubs?

If we heard "overdubs by Mick Taylor"... this could easily mean simply overdubs MT did in 1972. And everyone just assumed they meant recently overdubbed!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2010 04:31

schillid

When we heard that PMS featured overdubs from Mick Taylor... did anyone ever read specifically that they were NEW overdubs?

If we heard "overdubs by Mick Taylor"... this could easily mean simply overdubs MT did in 1972. And everyone just assumed they meant recently overdubbed!

In the interest of accuracy, yes, it was reported that they were new overdubs.

Date: May 7, 2010 04:57

71Tele
schillid

Where?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 7, 2010 07:03

Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
My main question would be: if Taylor was asked to do the overdubs on PMS, why did they settle with what is on the released track? It's fairly standard pentatonic run-through licks, nothing really spectacular. It's clearly edited down from several takes, or one very long take. I find it difficult to believe you went into the trouble getting Taylor to a studio, record his noodling and saying "that's a wrap Mick, it's fantastic", and then release the stuff.

Mathijs
Ps If not being able to hear Keith on PMS is like stating Keith isn't very prominent on Honky Tonk Women.

Sorry Mathijs, but everything Taylor did you call "noodling". Always the same mantra: Taylor noodles, Taylor can't play rhythm, Taylor's influence on the Rolling Stones during his membership of the band is of little or no importance etc. etc. I can't take your ears seriously. Others may do, I don't.

I do not take any credit of your summary of my opinion of Taylor. As you've been on this board for just a few months I understand you can not read several years worth of posts.

But in short: I find Taylor an utterly fantastic guitar player. He's has a true gift for melody, and a technique and vibrato to express it. In his prime, he truly was one of the best guitarists on this planet, and he pushed the Stones to much greater heights.

There main lesser expects of Taylor in my opinion: I fully agree with Richards that Taylor isn't a studio guitarist. The truly fantastic Taylor bits on record with the Stones are just too few, and he has never been able to push lesser material to greater heights, he needed good material to shine.

So Taylor to me can be summurized to the tours of 1972 and 1973: that was utter magic. All else: good guitarist, but not outstanding or spectacular.

Mathijs

what about 1969 US Tour & Get Yer Ya Ya's Out ??
Taylor's work on LIV, Satisfaction & SFTD are some of his best work EVER!!!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2010 07:45

schillid
71Tele
schillid

Where?

TeddyB reported it here first. It was inside information. You could research the threads. It was specifically about new overdubs by Taylor. This was followed by Don Was' non-denial.

Date: May 7, 2010 09:12

71Tele
TeddyB reported it here first. It was inside information. You could research the threads. It was specifically about new overdubs by Taylor. This was followed by Don Was' non-denial.

"TEDDYB1018" IS THE ONE AND ONLY SOURCE OF THIS?

Here's his original post.

TeddyB1018 said:
"...An English bassist friend of mine who was vi[si]ting Al for the NARM show, who has played with several very big groups and is friendly with Mick has told me two weeks ago that Jagger has dispatched Matt Clifford to a studio with nine unfinished songs for Mick Taylor to put overdubs on."

* Note that 2009 NARM (National Association of Recording Merchandisers) Show was in CA... not AL. (See [www.narm.com])

* Who is the English bassist who's played with several big groups and is friendly with Mick?

* Has Matt Clifford (or anyone else) ever confirmed this?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 7, 2010 09:24

YES.
You either believe a no-faced IORR poster, or you think it's bullsh*t...it's up to you.

Personally I think Taylor did overdubs on PMS...as uninspired as they might sound....which perhaps makes sense in 2009..?

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: May 7, 2010 09:28

Whas Bill Wyman a plummer before he got in the Stones?
That would made allot of sence, and also a little irony on the original album.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 7, 2010 09:58

nonfilter
I just finished reading the Keith interview in the new Guitar World, and he says the rumors of Mick Taylor doing new guitar overdubs on Exile are completely false.

sorry if i missed it amid all this brouhaha - has anyone posted what Keith actually said in this interview?
if not, could someone scan and post it, please and thank you kindly?
in fact nonfilter's paraphrase sounds like Keith meant there were no new overdubs on the 18 original Exile tracks,
which is not news.

but meanwhile ... if he did mean the previously-unreleased tracks ...

cc
with sssoul
Gazza
Doesn't say much for Keith's involvement in the new Exile either IMO.

it says plenty about his non-involvement with recent overdubs, at least to Plundered My Soul.
but that doesn't imply that he was underinvolved in other aspects of the project.

what else would you say the project involved? Selecting the tracks?

yeah, cc, selecting the tracks among other things - i'd say there's a whole lot to do
when the aim is to turn a bunch of unfinished/unedited material into a diskworth of releaseable tracks.
even if Keith was left out of the loop (or bowed out of it) regarding what was done to Plundered
(or if signals got crossed regarding what the Official Story should be, or if they're confusing us on purpose)
that doesn't mean he was underinvolved in the rest of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 10:14 by with sssoul.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 7, 2010 10:47

I think His Majesty did ask an important question and Gazza's answer is very clear.
Now, when was it that Mick Taylor said he played overdubs and when were Jagger and Don
Was asked the same question?
During what time should overdubs have been recorded (if there were any overdubs at all?)
Could it be possible that Mick Taylor played overdubs after december 2009? (if he played
any at all, of course).

Posted by: StrawberryFields ()
Date: May 7, 2010 11:00

TO KEITH RICHARDS HATERS ONLY:

Gentlemen,

Could you be any more insensitive about Keith Richards? Please put yourself in his situation, try to look it his way:

He hires some young nobody, gives him an salary and the priceless privilege of being a "Stone" - whatever that may be - and that virtuoso youngster just can't stop not overcasting, but eclipsing him all the way on all counts - WFT!?!

Hey now: Would you ever spend your money for being bullshited by your own employee?!?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 7, 2010 11:07

schillid
71Tele

"TEDDYB1018" IS THE ONE AND ONLY SOURCE OF THIS?

Here's his original post.

TeddyB1018 said:
"...An English bassist friend of mine who was vi[si]ting Al for the NARM show, who has played with several very big groups and is friendly with Mick has told me two weeks ago that Jagger has dispatched Matt Clifford to a studio with nine unfinished songs for Mick Taylor to put overdubs on."

* Note that 2009 NARM (National Association of Recording Merchandisers) Show was in CA... not AL. (See [www.narm.com])

* Who is the English bassist who's played with several big groups and is friendly with Mick?

* Has Matt Clifford (or anyone else) ever confirmed this?

I'm in Los Angeles. Where'd you get Alabama? I've never been to Alabama. No, we're not going to grass up the bass player. No, Matt Clifford is not going to confirm. Everything else I posted has proved out, with the possible exception of "Scarlet". I don't know if that underwent a lyric change or was held back. As I reported that Don Was named me eleven tracks (eight of which I named here), and eleven are being released, including ADTL, it's a conundrum.

I did however make a typo. It's the NAMM show. It was the second week in January, 2010. In other words, subsequent to those interviews Keith gave.

Edit: I see now where you got it wrong. He was visiting LA. Maybe I committed two typos.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 11:15 by TeddyB1018.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 7, 2010 11:14

>> I'm in Los Angeles. Where'd you get Alabama? <<

it was in your original post, Teddy, which schillid provided a link to - [www.iorr.org] - and a quote from.
you wrote Al when you meant LA. typos happen. but it isn't strange to think Al means AL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 11:23 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home