Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 15
Re: Keith says No new MT overdubs!
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:13

Keith lives in a different universe at this point. I no longer listen to anything that he or Ronnie have to say. If it doesn't come from Jagger's mouth I don't believe it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:18

once again Gazza is 100% spot-on (alas)

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:28

dcba
once again Gazza is 100% spot-on (alas)

Agreed!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:31

terraplane
Someone said they asked MT not long ago and he confirmed he overdubbed on one track (likely PMS I reckon). Maybe Keith didn't get the memo.

I don't think people use memos anymore. I don't know anyone that does.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:33

You know there is a chance that Taylor did not do any overdubs as Keith stated, both Jagger and Don Was never came right out and said he did. As far as 'Plunder my Soul' It sounds like classic 70's Taylor and Richards to my ears. I think if Taylor did any overdubs it is on one other bonus tracks I have not heard yet.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:38

I'm starting to think Taylor's playing on PMS is 70s...it certainly has the hallmarks of his earlier playing. I guess with digital editing they have made a composite from various takes - which is why this guitar part sounds a bit disjointed (different pickup, varying sound etc), plus it's been cleaned up a lot which is why it sounds new. Back in the 70s though they would of course used a whole take. Still...somehow his playing seems a bit below his usual 70s standard so suggests it could be new. It's a tough one - if only we knew the answer!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:39

JumpingKentFlash
Regarding the Austin show: I thought the the additional recordings refered to camera work (like something from backstage). Do we have any hard evidence that it was guitar work by Pierre or is it just the usual naysayer tripe?

Unfortunately Gazza´s right,I think.
In case your theory would fit,it should´ve been easy to add
" Additional camera ( or whatever ) Recordings by..." but it isn´t,
so it´s quite logic they did those guitar overdubs,at least some of them.

Keith´statement how good Bill´s bass playing seems to be in his retrospective
sounds strange ´cause Bill´s credited on eight out of eighteen tracks of the original album,which consists of four bassplayers,if I´m not wrong.

Either it has been some kind of a rather constant "wrong place at wrong time" issue or the Stones
weren´t that convinced about his abilities back then,or a mixture of both...

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:39

Amsterdamned
Taylor played lead and rhythm on PMS, one can argue about it, but I'm not going to argue with Keith Lawyers.

I don't think Keith's lawyers will have much of a desire to argue about it either. The proof is in the pudding.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:44

Lightnin'
Amsterdamned
Taylor played lead and rhythm on PMS, one can argue about it, but I'm not going to argue with Keith Lawyers.

I don't think Keith's lawyers will have much of a desire to argue about it either. The proof is in the pudding.

Absolutely,and the pudding has a lovely Taylor flavour ....thumbs up

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:52

strange how the most interesting threads these days is trying to work out what year these songs were recorded and what parts are new & old !
weird ?

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 6, 2010 16:59

Keith is simply uninformed. He had very, very little to do with the "new" tracks, so it's no surprising. The most obvious MT overdub on PMS—where Jagger sings "guess I was misunderstood"—was cut from the final mix.

Date: May 6, 2010 17:01

This is the bit I'm talking about. If that's not a contemporary overdub, then I'll eat my hat!

www.amazon.co.uk/Plundered-My-Soul/dp/B003GGZQQS/ref=sr_1_3/280-2480313-0396007?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1270913650&sr=8-3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-06 17:03 by Mel Belli.

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: May 6, 2010 17:04

I think Keith needs to put more paper in the FAX machine. He might get clued in on what's been going on.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 6, 2010 17:10

sitting here biting my tongue

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 6, 2010 17:15

If neither Was, Jagger or Richards confirmed that Taylor did overdubs, and Taylor said he did, why would people believe Taylor? Is it because people don't like the Stones media machine and just disagrees with it for the sake of it and because it's too spin-doctory, or do they have any hard evidence (your ears don't count) that there actually was a recent session with Taylor doing overdubs?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 6, 2010 17:19

yes, and muddy was painting the chess ceiling, too. keith's happy to mis-inform here; he's happy to mis-inform anywhere....

Date: May 6, 2010 17:21

JumpingKentFlash
If neither Was, Jagger or Richards confirmed that Taylor did overdubs, and Taylor said he did, why would people believe Taylor? Is it because people don't like the Stones media machine and just disagrees with it for the sake of it and because it's too spin-doctory, or do they have any hard evidence (your ears don't count) that there actually was a recent session with Taylor doing overdubs?

I don't have hard evidence; none of us does! If our ears don't count, then we're left with vague,if not contradictory, statements from the principals. Generally, I think about 75% of what Keith says is not to be trusted under any circumstances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-06 17:22 by Mel Belli.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 6, 2010 17:24

shortfatfanny
Keith´statement how good Bill´s bass playing seems to be in his retrospective
sounds strange ´cause Bill´s credited on eight out of eighteen tracks of the original album,which consists of four bassplayers,if I´m not wrong.

Either it has been some kind of a rather constant "wrong place at wrong time" issue or the Stones
weren´t that convinced about his abilities back then,or a mixture of both...

But don't forget Bill W. has said many times that Mick's lettering was wrong and that he played on more tracks on Exile.

Reg. the Austin show -I'm the first to say there has been quite a decline musically with the Stones - but I think it's not that bad on the Austin show. Just certain riffs like Thumb and JJF where Keith has problems these days.

And it is still a very good show in my book!!

Date: May 6, 2010 17:26

Mel Belli
JumpingKentFlash

I don't have hard evidence; none of us does! If our ears don't count, then we're left with vague,if not contradictory, statements from the principals. Generally, I think about 75% of what Keith says is not to be trusted under any circumstances.

and the other 25% under most circumstances...

Date: May 6, 2010 17:29

CousinC
Just certain riffs like Thumb and JJF where Keith has problems these days.

that's kinda like saying A-Rod is just having probs hitting curveballs and fastballs....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 6, 2010 17:46

<sigh> yet another "I hate Mick and Keith and wish I could piss with Taylor's dick" thread rears its ugly head. Maybe I'm going about it all wrong. Maybe I should be posting on sites where I hate the band.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 6, 2010 17:48

Ket
You know there is a chance that Taylor did not do any overdubs as Keith stated, both Jagger and Don Was never came right out and said he did. As far as 'Plunder my Soul' It sounds like classic 70's Taylor and Richards to my ears. I think if Taylor did any overdubs it is on one other bonus tracks I have not heard yet.

Taylor didnt specify what song he'd done an overdub on - just that he'd done it on one track.

Why would he make it up if he hadn't played on it?

And if Jagger and Was were asked about Taylor adding overdubs, considering theyd already admitted that there WERE overdubs on the new CD anyway, why not just say a simple 'yes' or 'no' ? Its not as if they're being asked about the Riddle of the Sphinx for crying out loud. Saying 'I'm not saying' is as good as saying 'yes'.

Date: May 6, 2010 17:53

StonesTod
CousinC

that's kinda like saying A-Rod is just having probs hitting curveballs and fastballs....
why are you picking on A-ROD? (giants fan ,or A's fan?)

Date: May 6, 2010 17:55

The Greek
StonesTod
CousinC

i like a-rod - plug in your own struggling slugger as desired....

Date: May 6, 2010 17:56

JumpingKentFlash

Its got nothing to do with spin doctoring or media machines. Although if you want to open that can of worms with regard to Stones announcements in recent years which turned out to be untrue, it could be a long evening! The only spin I see seems to come from people who take everything Keith says at face value. I couldnt give a bollocks whether Taylor added overdubs or not, personally.

One guy says he played on a record, one other guy - who was 3,000 miles away - says the claim isnt accurate and that there's been no contact with him for years (which is untrue in itself) and two other guys who were most involved with mixing the record wont DENY it when theres no logical reason for them to do so.

And BEFORE anything was confirmed about what was happening with bonus material, one poster on this site mentioned inside info that Taylor HAD been given some material to overdub. Before it was even a rumour. It was dismissed by some as highky unlikely. Yet a couple of months later here we are with various band members unable to get a story straight about whether he did or not - and the subject himself claiming that he did (when he has nothing to gain by confirming or denying it).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-06 17:59 by Gazza.

Date: May 6, 2010 17:59

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash

Its got nothing to do with spin doctoring or media machines. Although if you want to open that can of worms with regard to Stones announcements in recent years which turned out to be untrue, it could be a long evening! The only spin I see seems to come from people who take everything Keith says at face value.

One guy says he played on a record, one other guy - who was 3,000 miles away - says the claim isnt accurate and that there's been no contact with him for years (which is untrue in itself) and two other guys who were most involved with mixing the record wont DENY it when theres no logical reason for them to do so.

And BEFORE anything was confirmed about what was happening with bonus material, one poster on this site mentioned inside info that Taylor HAD been given some material to overdub. Before it was even a rumour. It was dismissed by some as highky unlikely. Yet a couple of months later here we are with various band members unable to get a story straight about whether he did or not - and the subject himself claiming that he did (when he has nothing to gain by confirming or denying it).

is this your final, closing argument to the jury? or will you be calling other witnesses to the stand?

Date: May 6, 2010 18:00

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
Regarding the Austin show: I thought the the additional recordings refered to camera work (like something from backstage). Do we have any hard evidence that it was guitar work by Pierre or is it just the usual naysayer tripe?

Camera work??

It clearly says 'additional recordings by'on the DVD booklet and the two players credited (Beauport and David Rouze) are both guitar technicians. Pierre has even played on Stones studio recordings before, so I cant see how much clearer they can make it. Plus, its quite obvious when watching the Austin show that there are studio overdubs added. Beauport is Keith's guitar tech. Rouze is a bassist who is also Mick's guitar tech.

At least they were up front about it on that occasion and as its been discussed before, why people are even doubting or debating it now is a bit odd.

As for the MT overdubs on Exile. Was & Jagger were evasive about it and refused to confirm or deny it (which is as good as an admission that it happened in my book), Keith says that not only did Taylor not do any overdubs but the band have had no contact with him for years - and yet Taylor says that he overdubbed a guitar part on one song.

If that doesnt speak volumes about the way the Stones work as a band these days (if they're STILL a band) I dont know what does. Why all the secrecy and contradictory statements? You'd think that if they were going to feed BS to their fans and the media, they'd at least try and be consistent aboout getting their stories straight. Doesn't say much for Keith's involvement in the new Exile either IMO.

they're not a band anymore, they're more like a machine, a corporation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-06 18:06 by kissinc***incannes.

Date: May 6, 2010 18:00

StonesTod

is this your final, closing argument to the jury? or will you be calling other witnesses to the stand?

The prosecution is going out to see Tommy Ramone playing bluegrass shortly. I'll let you take over for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-06 18:01 by Gazza.

Date: May 6, 2010 18:01

StonesTod
The Greek
StonesTod
CousinC

i like a-rod - plug in your own struggling slugger as desired....
so are you a Yankee fan ?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 6, 2010 18:06

It really seems like Jagger and Was wanted to hide Tayors help from Keith.
Now they all have a problem . .

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home