Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 22
Re: Plundered My Soul!!!
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:03

Gazza

Expecting leftovers to be of a high standard is being overly ambitious.

A fair point, although I could list 20+ bootlegged Stones outtake tracks that are much better than PMS (IMO), and I'm sure you could too!

Drew

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:07

Listened to it one time...good song.

Taking into account my first impression is given by some poor speakers
I must say it might have been a Tattoo You outtake / B-side as well...

I´m still looking forward to the other Exile outtakes balancing my own
exaggerated expectations to a reasonable level.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:31

straycatuk
I can understand people been disappointed with Mick's vocals . I'd like to hear a performance like Let it Loose , but that was recorded almost 40 years ago . He's 66 YEARS OLD........ I think he's done a great job with an older, less "flexible" voice. Imagine Daltry trying to sing on a Who's next outake or Dylan on something left off Blood on the Tracks..... er, maybe not !

sc uk

personally i don't think it has to do with mick's age or the age of his vocal cords, nor the power of finesse, delivery and power he still certainly has!! listen to that country song on his solo thing and he's just a great great singer, still! really impressed with what he can certainly certainly still do. he very very capable. i just assume that perhaps he's lost his own way, perhaps from being so big that no one seems to say... let's relax mick; put down your shoulders.. sing the melody once or twice without putting anything on the ball...get INto it etc.... probably just oh mick that's so great; you're still such a stud...billionaire mick i just love even the snot that you wipe on your custom shirt sleeves....whatever.... he damn capable of cutting buko tres excellente vokes!!!!!! imo.... he just kinda missed the boat with the overdoing it characterization of self. imo. mick mick mick. take it easy. don't force shit. you're a natural baby.... get a produce who dosen't need to kiss your ass or is less starstruck, money hungry whatever.... it not his age, unless the age of his mind constantly seperating himself, conciously and openly, from being a singer for a rock band... seems to me anyway,....

beelyboy...Think About it

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:33

Beelyboy
straycatuk
I can understand people been disappointed with Mick's vocals . I'd like to hear a performance like Let it Loose , but that was recorded almost 40 years ago . He's 66 YEARS OLD........ I think he's done a great job with an older, less "flexible" voice. Imagine Daltry trying to sing on a Who's next outake or Dylan on something left off Blood on the Tracks..... er, maybe not !

sc uk

personally i don't think it has to do with mick's age or the age of his vocal cords, nor the power of finesse, delivery and power he still certainly has!! listen to that country song on his solo thing and he's just a great great singer, still! really impressed with what he can certainly certainly still do. he very very capable. i just assume that perhaps he's lost his own way, perhaps from being so big that no one seems to say... let's relax mick; put down your shoulders.. sing the melody once or twice without putting anything on the ball...get INto it etc.... probably just oh mick that's so great; you're still such a stud...billionaire mick i just love even the snot that you wipe on your custom shirt sleeves....whatever.... he damn capable of cutting buko tres excellente vokes!!!!!! imo.... he just kinda missed the boat with the overdoing it characterization of self. imo. mick mick mick. take it easy. don't force shit. you're a natural baby.... get a produce who dosen't need to kiss your ass or is less starstruck, money hungry whatever.... it not his age, unless the age of his mind constantly seperating himself, conciously and openly, from being a singer for a rock band... seems to me anyway,....

Agree 100%

Drew

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:40

I think the "mixed by Bob Clearmountain" credit will explain some of why there are comments that it sounds like Tattoo You.

Date: April 17, 2010 01:44

ear fatigue; too overblown loudness wars steely. mick's almost comic over the top caricature of vocals tiresome. cashing in on the hype of an undeniably brilliant powerful wondrous period in their creative life as a FUNCTIONING band.... savin' my ears a gosh darn beating and listening to older copies of the rill thing...awesome awesome album.... the 'new' entree into the culture...??? overblown, tiresome...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:52

This has to be the most deconstructed new song ever!!

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:00

Kind of annoying they didnt use the original 45rpm cut of ADTL for the single to Plunder My Soul.

Posted by: tops06 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:02

For 3:56 all is right with the world.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:03

personally i think mick's vocal is great , the way he sings the song makes him sound angry and bitter and that's what a person would be if someone plundered their soul.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:12

Since I've listened to it in HQ, I'm IN definitively !

Hope now I will get my Super Deluxe edition soon winking smiley to enjoy a litlle bit more
my years of waitin' for this kind of tracks.
I've already forgot the 00's to dig in the 70's and it's f]#@# great !

HMN

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:12

Totally agree. This website is over run with certain people who complain about everything. I've been here years and people have left in droves. So what else do you want? No unreleased stuff? No creative input from the stones? Not before too long they'll be gone. Then whats left? Get over yourselves and appreciate what you got. I think the new stuff's been done very well. I'd much rather this than another 'Don't sTOP!

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:18

I like it! Anyway "new" music from the band I love is always welcome.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:27

drewmaster
Gazza

Expecting leftovers to be of a high standard is being overly ambitious.

A fair point, although I could list 20+ bootlegged Stones outtake tracks that are much better than PMS (IMO), and I'm sure you could too!

Drew

i could name 50+ - any that don't include new jagger vocals would automatically qualify

Date: April 17, 2010 02:31

Beelyboy
straycatuk

sc uk

he's pretty much lost his way and his instincts as a singer, beely. if the '72-era jagger heard the 21st century jagger, i don't think he'd be very impressed.

really quite sad, cos like you said it's not like the physical ability isn't there - you hear snippets of the old jagger from time to time, but not with any consistency at least with keith, you know he can't play cos of his physical problems, so that's a little easier to understand and accept...

Date: April 17, 2010 02:33

ablett

Totally agree. This website is over run with certain people who complain about everything. I've been here years and people have left in droves. So what else do you want? No unreleased stuff? No creative input from the stones? Not before too long they'll be gone. Then whats left? Get over yourselves and appreciate what you got. I think the new stuff's been done very well. I'd much rather this than another 'Don't sTOP!

i'm just about to bolt myself if this stuff doesn't stop.

Date: April 17, 2010 02:38

ablett

i'm not about to censor myself on a chatboard regardless of the 'politically correct' fandom of the moment. i've had my ass kicked here for shine a light reviews, which are now kinda the semi "accepted' take on that 'documentary' whatever...etc... ad infintum....
even if i'm wrong and no one agrees i don't much care. i'm not running for champ of the chatboard. the vocals not convincing engaging to me. almost a parody in fact... u think that's the result i was wanting or looking for in my own life as a fan since '63?? nope.
hysterical fanaticism about anything they poop out in lieu of actual contemporary album represnting soul, hard work and great writing and performance....is not my definiton of music 'fan',, sorry. my opinion dosen't affect anyone's personal life or personal listening pleasure... i'm not a syncophant. i wouldn't be one to their faces and i'm not one on a semi anonymous chatboard. (my favorite and ONLY site i ever share views on...cause i'm big big big into the fricken Rolling Stones...don't have to convince any of you. don't much care....

Date: April 17, 2010 02:44

Beelyboy
ablett

i'm not about to censor myself on a chatboard regardless of the 'politically correct' fandom of the moment. i've had my ass kicked here for shine a light reviews, which are now kinda the semi "accepted' take on that 'documentary' whatever...etc... ad infintum....
even if i'm wrong and no one agrees i don't much care. i'm not running for champ of the chatboard. the vocals not convincing engaging to me. almost a parody in fact... u think that's the result i was wanting or looking for in my own life as a fan since '63?? nope.
hysterical fanaticism about anything they poop out in lieu of actual contemporary album represnting soul, hard work and great writing and performance....is not my definiton of music 'fan',, sorry. my opinion dosen't affect anyone's personal life or personal listening pleasure... i'm not a syncophant. i wouldn't be one to their faces and i'm not one on a semi anonymous chatboard. (my favorite and ONLY site i ever share views on...cause i'm big big big into the fricken Rolling Stones...don't have to convince any of you. don't much care....

he's just very sad about all the millions of people who don't come here anymore cos their pool wittle feel-feels gets hurt when ppl say bad things about the band. be nice. he hurts.

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: April 17, 2010 06:41

i have some serious issues with tinkering with old tracks, esp. exile-era tracks but i have to say -- judging it as a new stones song that dropped out of a clear blue sky, i was impressed!

played the damn thing straight through 3 times.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 17, 2010 06:55

redsock
i have some serious issues with tinkering with old tracks, esp. exile-era tracks but i have to say -- judging it as a new stones song that dropped out of a clear blue sky, i was impressed!

played the damn thing straight through 3 times.

exactly !!
I'm the same - if it's exile sessions then leave it with original vocals. But as a "new" re-tinkered Stones track which we haven't ever heard on bootleg then it's a pretty good thing. Better than not hearing it at all !

Is there a music video that goes with this?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 17, 2010 06:57

why no original vocals on this track, anyone?

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 07:21

could be a good one, will never be played on the radio, to many f bombs. Way too many to make it number 1 (even if a clean edit comes out), it would sound like a rap song during the verses.

Posted by: morkos1 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 07:31

chenry9195
could be a good one, will never be played on the radio, to many f bombs. Way too many to make it number 1 (even if a clean edit comes out), it would sound like a rap song during the verses.

ahaha, he's saying 'thought' not 'f**k'

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: April 17, 2010 07:50

the musical side of the track is great. sadly micks vocal training may have saved/preserved his voice, but it's ruined his ability to be raucous. this might not matter normally but when he's singing along to a tune that anticipates his old voice, by its very nature, then his preserved voice ruins the track.

OLDKR

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 08:01

Actually I see Plundered and the other outtakes as Jagger finding peace and compromise with his aversion to dig up the past. He is always wanting to move forward...yes when presented with Tattoo You he embraced it and I think was quite surprised by how successful it was. But also I feel this bugged him, and he had a hard time reconciling the fact that the outtakes were better received than a lot of the previous stuff. And he goes out of his way to say how much he doesn't like to drudge up the past. So now he has embraced the re-release of Exile and also felt inspired to go into the studio and add a contemporary voice to the past.
And fans should not underestimate the importance of Mick calling MT in to participate. He seems to have come to peace with his feelings of betrayal, and Keith seems to have gotten over his own insecurities to collaborate with MT again.
So again, like Tattoo You, these new releases demand to be viewed as new. And inspired by EOMS. Again, the original is there for us all to covet and revel in. And the outtakes are our "new" album that many fans have been clamoring for. Ok, so MJ, MT, and Keif can't be expected to be like they were in 72! Get over it, time moves on, but it is thrilling to hear them wanting to add to something they left in the can for so long. For me, listening to all the snippets of the upcoming release is exciting and interesting. And yes a lot of it sounds fantastic!
What is clear though is you can't change a fan's mind on what they like and dislike, but it does get a bit old when it seems like the first instinct is to criticize and wish for what could have been. That is the story of the Stones! They always do it their way, and that is why they are still here, and have made history being the longest successful band from the 60's.
I guess I am happy to hear this new stuff, and I don't need it to be perfect, or sound like it would fit neatly into EOMS. It really shouldn't! EOMS was their statement in 1972, and these "new/old" tracks are their new statement. I view them as separate from EOMS. Their new album with Mick Taylor!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 17, 2010 09:53

I just have to say that if a year ago any of us on this board would have said "in one year the Stones will put out a new record with Mick Taylor joining and a re-energized Mick Jagger will be totally involved, enthusiastic and committed, and it will be the best-sounding thing they have done in decades" we would have been laughed off this site. Well, friends, it appears the impossible has happened. I never, ever, thought we would see 10 unheard songs from the "Big Four" era officially released on one disc. I just don't understand the negative comments I have seen here. What is it you want, exactly?

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: April 17, 2010 10:30

@audun-eg: Thats exactly the point. This isn't music from a band. It's from a band that doesn't exist anymore, and the project of a new singer.

As if you would rerecord Elvis outtakes with Shakin Stevens on the new vocal tracks. Embarrassing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-17 10:51 by micawber.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: April 17, 2010 10:31

I think people want non-Was-sounding (he is absolutely terrible) stuff that sounds like an honest band effort.

It's a nice piece of music but something is lacking.

Personally I don't understand why they didn't re-record everything, using also Ronnie, specially when the song doesn't seem to have anything to do with EOMS. And frankly I'd rather hear Ronnie's take on the lead than that effort by MT. I think his lead lacks confidence.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: April 17, 2010 10:54

whitem8
Actually I see Plundered and the other outtakes as Jagger finding peace and compromise with his aversion to dig up the past. He is always wanting to move forward...yes when presented with Tattoo You he embraced it and I think was quite surprised by how successful it was. But also I feel this bugged him, and he had a hard time reconciling the fact that the outtakes were better received than a lot of the previous stuff. And he goes out of his way to say how much he doesn't like to drudge up the past. So now he has embraced the re-release of Exile and also felt inspired to go into the studio and add a contemporary voice to the past.
And fans should not underestimate the importance of Mick calling MT in to participate. He seems to have come to peace with his feelings of betrayal, and Keith seems to have gotten over his own insecurities to collaborate with MT again.
So again, like Tattoo You, these new releases demand to be viewed as new. And inspired by EOMS. Again, the original is there for us all to covet and revel in. And the outtakes are our "new" album that many fans have been clamoring for. Ok, so MJ, MT, and Keif can't be expected to be like they were in 72! Get over it, time moves on, but it is thrilling to hear them wanting to add to something they left in the can for so long. For me, listening to all the snippets of the upcoming release is exciting and interesting. And yes a lot of it sounds fantastic!
What is clear though is you can't change a fan's mind on what they like and dislike, but it does get a bit old when it seems like the first instinct is to criticize and wish for what could have been. That is the story of the Stones! They always do it their way, and that is why they are still here, and have made history being the longest successful band from the 60's.
I guess I am happy to hear this new stuff, and I don't need it to be perfect, or sound like it would fit neatly into EOMS. It really shouldn't! EOMS was their statement in 1972, and these "new/old" tracks are their new statement. I view them as separate from EOMS. Their new album with Mick Taylor!

I could've done without all that. I don't care about names and new things, if they're are worse than most of what was released and mediocre at best. Don't you see the way the stones are going? It's not a matter of age, I'm sure. This is ruined by the 'prefectionist" Jagger, and no Keith around to stop him. Mick just forgot to feel the songs by concentrating on learned singing technique.

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:13

The way Mick sings it makes me think of the Primitive Cool era.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home