Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 22
Re: Plundered My Soul Reviews
Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 16, 2010 14:41

Anyway to dl it in th us?

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 16, 2010 15:10

sounds a bit too much like a mick solo song to me, to be very honest. that doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to it smiling smiley

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 16, 2010 15:10

micawber
After hearing it about ten times, I'm sorry, but the song is pure crap, and it's evident why it didn't appear on the 70ies masterpieces.
- Where's the solo(s)?
- That's no intro, that's a start
- Why the *?$@ does it sound like a recent Jagger solo recording? Is it the production, the mix or just the 'precise', forced lead vocals that don't fit the song's sloppy 'Exile' style?
- What's wrong with the rhythm guitar track? There's not one single rhythm guitar track on exile with a similar sound. For me the basic track is either from the ghs/iorr sessions (see Dance Little Sister, f.ex.) or completely new, and I'm not convinced it's Keith at all.
- I hate the falsetto vox
- All that leads me to the fact that Keith hadn't much to do with these unreleased tracks. Is he just tired of the fights with Mick concerning vox/production or doesn't he care at all anymore?
- Why is the rhythm guitar nearly buried in the mix? see above
- Why does it seem the boys are not able to write new songs anymore, better new songs especially, as they feel forced to release songs like that?
- for example there are some far better songs on the latest albums, but nearly all of them lack feel, sound and production, (drums, bass, piano, guitars). Is it just the loss of Stu, Taylor, Bill, Nicky Hopkins, Jimmy Miller, heavy drug use, basements in tropical heat and disease, or did they just lose their passion?

This song is a rip-off by Mick Jagger to me, and nothing else. I would love them to open the vaults and give us the demos and songs as they where thought and recorded back then. But that 'new' exile song is crap, if you regard it as 70s or a 2010s song. It seems to me they just want to sqeeze the last buck out of the move to Universal, and it should hide the lack of creativity of the last 20-30 years. But it doesn't. The greatest Stones album since 1980 is based on 70s songs.

Everyone is hyped by unheard material of the Stones, so am I.
But with some days or weeks in distance, more of you will see PMS is just dogshit in the doorway, and will never get a listen again, as does ABB f.ex.

The 'tattoo you' way doesn't work anymore, because the time gap between the first recordings and the overdubs is far too long. In the case of tattoo you it was about 10 years at the max, and now its nearly 40. You can't bring that together, especially not in the way it was done with PMS.

I had loads of hope concerning the 'new' songs, and still hope the other 9 are much better. And they have to.

you don't need a 1 minute pure guitar solo to be a guitar solo. Taylor is soloing throughout this song.
I agree - it starts just like a Jagger solo single.
Agree also it's possibly from IORR sessions...has that feel to it for me.
Hate the falsetto.
Jagger definately has hi-jacked the song.
But it's not pure crap - think it's quite good and alot better (probably because of the rhythm section/Taylor influence) than anything the band has released in the last 20 years!

I have a feeling Jagger did the overdubs to give it a modern-Stones feel to it. If it were the "old" original vocals then it's not really a new release for the band.

Would love to hear the original vocals...but perhaps the original vocal was simply Jagger rumbling into a mic? who knows.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 16, 2010 15:48

........falsetto to die for....the M Taylor licks..... that literally lift Mick are everything and more that every RS fan should be diggin'....what a breath of fresh air.....and who wouldn't/doesn't love that!!!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 16, 2010 15:57

Eleanor Rigby
Would love to hear the original vocals...but perhaps the original vocal was simply Jagger rumbling into a mic? who knows.

It was probably half-assed vocals that would have been redone in LA '71-72 if they were going to release it on Exile.

But I would love to hear the original track without the overdubs too.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 16, 2010 16:08

Heard it on the radio today, sounds good, but pretty much what I expected.

It has that cliche open G sound which I am very bored of(not sure if the guitars are open G?), but it has that feel anyway. The lead guitar playing although good, isn't special and seems unnecessary most of the time.

For me, it's just kinda ok.

Posted by: Tim2 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 16:19

I quite agree with micawber's point of view. I would not say this is 'pure' crap, but just a mere Stones' jam (like they are hundreds) desperately and artificially pushed to give the illusion of a song (what a chorus my friends..). Taylor's gtr is pleasant. The rhythm gtr makes me think of a Reggae'n'roll long instrumental that goes nowhere neither but was nicer as rough and honest in its quest, based on a cool feeling. I actually would have prefered an instrumental version of the track here, or almost anything from the Trident mixes' tapes which are far superior !

On another thread about this track, someone says MJ's voice spoils everything. Indeed. MJ's forced voice over the last 30 years really fed up my ears. He looks old and a ridiculous caricature of himself since he is 40; such a shame when you know how he can sing, the health he fought for to keep it stable, clear and loud! Can't he feel a thing anymore? I believe no. Artistically, the Stones have had not much to say for all this time, else they would not have served these Disney compilation shows again and again. They perfectly know it. Who can blame them for not being inspired after all these years and great albums anyway? KR made excellent solo albums.

What stuns me the most is not the mediocrity of a re-worked track like 'Plundered My Soul' anyway, but the fact that so many 'fans', supposed to know and love this band's music, find it 'awesome'...frankly... Why blind love?
The band has great buried tracks we all know and hope a release of. Why don't they use it?
I personally do not think many never-heard-before gemms sleep.

This said, I still will get the 7" because this is a 7" baby.
And I am still anxious to hear the rest because you can't kill a fan hope.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 16, 2010 16:24

..we got your memo....do not resuscitate...no problem...

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 16, 2010 17:47

I think it sounded pretty good. I can't wait to hear it at home. Just wish I could download the the thing. Anyone listen to all down the line? Any thoughts?

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 16, 2010 18:11

micawber
After hearing it about ten times, I'm sorry, but the song is pure crap, and it's evident why it didn't appear on the 70ies masterpieces.
- Where's the solo(s)?
- That's no intro, that's a start
- Why the *?$@ does it sound like a recent Jagger solo recording? Is it the production, the mix or just the 'precise', forced lead vocals that don't fit the song's sloppy 'Exile' style?
- What's wrong with the rhythm guitar track? There's not one single rhythm guitar track on exile with a similar sound. For me the basic track is either from the ghs/iorr sessions (see Dance Little Sister, f.ex.) or completely new, and I'm not convinced it's Keith at all.
- I hate the falsetto vox
- All that leads me to the fact that Keith hadn't much to do with these unreleased tracks. Is he just tired of the fights with Mick concerning vox/production or doesn't he care at all anymore?
- Why is the rhythm guitar nearly buried in the mix? see above
- Why does it seem the boys are not able to write new songs anymore, better new songs especially, as they feel forced to release songs like that?
- for example there are some far better songs on the latest albums, but nearly all of them lack feel, sound and production, (drums, bass, piano, guitars). Is it just the loss of Stu, Taylor, Bill, Nicky Hopkins, Jimmy Miller, heavy drug use, basements in tropical heat and disease, or did they just lose their passion?

This song is a rip-off by Mick Jagger to me, and nothing else. I would love them to open the vaults and give us the demos and songs as they where thought and recorded back then. But that 'new' exile song is crap, if you regard it as 70s or a 2010s song. It seems to me they just want to sqeeze the last buck out of the move to Universal, and it should hide the lack of creativity of the last 20-30 years. But it doesn't. The greatest Stones album since 1980 is based on 70s songs.

Everyone is hyped by unheard material of the Stones, so am I.
But with some days or weeks in distance, more of you will see PMS is just dogshit in the doorway, and will never get a listen again, as does ABB f.ex.

The 'tattoo you' way doesn't work anymore, because the time gap between the first recordings and the overdubs is far too long. In the case of tattoo you it was about 10 years at the max, and now its nearly 40. You can't bring that together, especially not in the way it was done with PMS.

I had loads of hope concerning the 'new' songs, and still hope the other 9 are much better. And they have to.

bingo - please pick up your winnings at the exit...

Posted by: thamasterrr18 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 18:14

the Plundered My Soul version on the radio yesterday is a different mix than the released i-tunes version. Mick Taylor's guitar is mixed right on the radio version, and on the i-tunes version he is mixed center, with an acoustic right.

is there a place where i can get the radio version? (not the mp3 rip-off the radio but a clean version, maybe it is the album mix on exile???)

Date: April 16, 2010 18:15

Tim2
I quite agree with micawber's point of view. I would not say this is 'pure' crap, but just a mere Stones' jam (like they are hundreds) desperately and artificially pushed to give the illusion of a song (what a chorus my friends..). Taylor's gtr is pleasant. The rhythm gtr makes me think of a Reggae'n'roll long instrumental that goes nowhere neither but was nicer as rough and honest in its quest, based on a cool feeling. I actually would have prefered an instrumental version of the track here, or almost anything from the Trident mixes' tapes which are far superior !

On another thread about this track, someone says MJ's voice spoils everything. Indeed. MJ's forced voice over the last 30 years really fed up my ears. He looks old and a ridiculous caricature of himself since he is 40; such a shame when you know how he can sing, the health he fought for to keep it stable, clear and loud! Can't he feel a thing anymore? I believe no. Artistically, the Stones have had not much to say for all this time, else they would not have served these Disney compilation shows again and again. They perfectly know it. Who can blame them for not being inspired after all these years and great albums anyway? KR made excellent solo albums.

What stuns me the most is not the mediocrity of a re-worked track like 'Plundered My Soul' anyway, but the fact that so many 'fans', supposed to know and love this band's music, find it 'awesome'...frankly... Why blind love?
The band has great buried tracks we all know and hope a release of. Why don't they use it?
I personally do not think many never-heard-before gemms sleep.

This said, I still will get the 7" because this is a 7" baby.
And I am still anxious to hear the rest because you can't kill a fan hope.

good post. and no, you can't kill hope, but mick is doing his very best to try, it seems....

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 18:18

Plundered my soul is a typical Stones song with great energy and intensity.
Though sometimes it feels a bit as "Tumbling Dice" and that is quite obvious.

But I love it. The wonders of Mick T is all back in business.
Jagger's vocals are great. The mix of the vocals are great.
Really sounds like an "Exile" song.
Thank you Mick J, Keith R, Charlie W, Bill W and ofcourse Mick T, just bring the lad back in the band and everything will be alright!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 16, 2010 18:19

Gazza is gonna LOVE this thread!

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 16, 2010 18:26

I am not usually easy on the Stones, but I think "Plundered My Soul" is a winner. It is their best songs in a long, long time.

Amazing that the best new rock song on the radio today is by men who are nearly 70 years old.

Date: April 16, 2010 18:29

Fan Since 1964

Thank you Mick J, Keith R, Charlie W, Bill W and ofcourse Mick T, just bring the lad back in the band and everything will be alright!

seriously? which other eoms vocals sound like this one?

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 20:04

StonesTod
Fan Since 1964

Seriously! If you don't catch the feel of EOMS feeling in the vocals on this one then you don't! That's tough luck!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-16 20:05 by Fan Since 1964.

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: April 16, 2010 20:17

I think it's the best song out of any of their post-2000 material. Nice to have some Mick Taylor guitar work and the backing vocals sound like the really high stuff Keith sang in the 70s. Nice hook about it. Great work.

Date: April 16, 2010 20:30

Fan Since 1964
StonesTod
Fan Since 1964

Seriously! If you don't catch the feel of EOMS feeling in the vocals on this one then you don't! That's tough luck!

feel? how about sound? which other EOMS vocal tracks does it sound like?

Date: April 16, 2010 20:33

Well, Plundered my soul is a great tune. Fancy groove, nice lyrics. Great tempo! But sadly we can hear how much Micks voice is deteriorated now. He signs with amazing amount of energy, however the tone is missing a little.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 16, 2010 20:53

lovely track; excited; slowass groove gets to me; love the band bigtime; and production feel too actually!! warm familiar irresistable groooovvvee...
mick too histrionic; too forced. too much the "characterization" or character actor playing lead singer for the band instead of just relaxing into the voke with a sense of (seeming) sincere delivery.... kinda mock up mick jagger impression... i mean if a comic could nail this, it would be funny as hell... cool track tho. i will listen more and more with gratitude actually. but mick's insincere characterized hyper almost hysterical vokes sound like neurotic chick not studly rawwwk staahh...

mick overennciate jagger; ha... it's fun and great thing to have but mick overdoes it here imo and colors the OTHERWISE TOTALLY DOWNHOME sloppy (in great way!!) loping hard beat and colorful gits with mick jagger impression... he cudda waltzed thru a thousand better takes on this track had he humanized the vokes...
ok. that my early review having listened to complete track twice...
lets just say mick is "a yard off his pace" to quote plundah lyrix...

beelyboy...Think About it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-16 21:17 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 16, 2010 21:17

His Majesty
It has that cliche open G sound which I am very bored of(not sure if the guitars are open G?), but it has that feel anyway. The lead guitar playing although good, isn't special and seems unnecessary most of the time.

For me, it's just kinda ok.

That's strange. I'd expect a comment like that about, oh, I dunno, The Black Crowes.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 16, 2010 21:29

sounds like an outtake...........from Voodoo or Bridges. Mick's vocal and Don Was' production ,in my humble opinion, ruins the Exile vibe the song may have had.

Based on the other outtakes from Exile (I Ain't Lyin, Hillside Blues), this doesnt even sound like it's from Exile era to me.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: April 17, 2010 10:40

I'm sure if Keith had been involved in the "remaking", this song would not sound like a Jagger solo track...

Bring Keith back!

Date: April 17, 2010 10:46

That's it. Micks vox: just technic but no feel. I miss the Keith moments and feeling badly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-17 12:24 by micawber.

Date: April 17, 2010 10:59

Fan Since 1964

Mick T's endless noodling doesn't really help the song. And the vocals definitely don't sound like any on exile. OVer the top, forced, unnatural, and the Keith backup vox imitation is embarrassing.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:56

nankerphlege
Anyway to dl it in th us?

...Something wrong with your keyboard, or is this some local dialect that non-US inhabitants aren't familiar with, Nanker? ...Or were you just in a hurry!?
Oh well... Cheerz. smileys with beer

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:58

I had serious misapprehensions about the band going back and tinkering with Exile outtakes. I actually rather like it, though. It has some of the Exile groove and still has aspects of the band's current sound. On the basis of a couple of listenings, I reckon I prefer it to anything off their last studio album.

Wonder if we'll ever hear it live?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 17, 2010 12:38

Best Stones track since "Waitin' On A Friend". The magic is present.

- Doxa

Date: April 17, 2010 12:41

Doxa
Best Stones track since "Waitin' On A Friend". The magic is present.

- Doxa

Good joke.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home