Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122
Current Page: 22 of 22
Re: Plundered My Soul - reviews and comments
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 27, 2010 19:51

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
flowerchild
WOW Mick Taylor is God playing the guitar. his guitar playing on plundered my soul is sublime. Some people seem to be deriding it for being too 'simple'. Why is that even a criticism? sometimes simplicity is best for emotive guitar playing. It really allows the listener to focus on his beautiful tone and vibrato. And always he does a fantastic job answering jaggers vocal lines.

But it's exactly the vibrato I'm missing on PMS. A bit more juice regarding the sound + the vibrato would have done wonders with Taylor's part, imo.

The question is if vibrato would have worked on this PMS version. Or perhaps Jagger instructed Taylor not to use vibrato and not to play a solo part, which also would have been possible (and an improvement). Still it is great how Taylor within such a short time was able to throw out this guitar part and invent these nice melodic lines. One could say that Taylor still 'lives' in the Stones songs, something he always did when he was still in the band. Regardless of the songs he played (Jones- or Taylor-era). One can't say that of Wood: he doesn't live in the/all Stones-songs, that's why he never has been a true Rolling Stone (yes, formally, I know). That's not a disqualification of Wood as a musician. But his playing never fit the Stones music that well and that magically as Taylor's did. Well, the ball is on the half of the Woodyists now. Hit it, guyscool smiley.

complete bullshit. ronnie fits a lot better than mick taylor.

and regarding those magical melodies. every guitarist who is werth a shit can come up with stuff like this. it´s not all that special.

this blind praise for that fat boring guitarist is ridiculous.

the rolling stones this is mick and keith. and than maybe a bit charlie and bill.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 27, 2010 19:53

stoneswashed77
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
flowerchild
WOW Mick Taylor is God playing the guitar. his guitar playing on plundered my soul is sublime. Some people seem to be deriding it for being too 'simple'. Why is that even a criticism? sometimes simplicity is best for emotive guitar playing. It really allows the listener to focus on his beautiful tone and vibrato. And always he does a fantastic job answering jaggers vocal lines.

But it's exactly the vibrato I'm missing on PMS. A bit more juice regarding the sound + the vibrato would have done wonders with Taylor's part, imo.

The question is if vibrato would have worked on this PMS version. Or perhaps Jagger instructed Taylor not to use vibrato and not to play a solo part, which also would have been possible (and an improvement). Still it is great how Taylor within such a short time was able to throw out this guitar part and invent these nice melodic lines. One could say that Taylor still 'lives' in the Stones songs, something he always did when he was still in the band. Regardless of the songs he played (Jones- or Taylor-era). One can't say that of Wood: he doesn't live in the/all Stones-songs, that's why he never has been a true Rolling Stone (yes, formally, I know). That's not a disqualification of Wood as a musician. But his playing never fit the Stones music that well and that magically as Taylor's did. Well, the ball is on the half of the Woodyists now. Hit it, guyscool smiley.

and regarding those magical melodies. every guitarist who is werth a shit can come up with stuff like this. it´s not all that special.

the rolling stones this is mick and keith. and than maybe a bit charlie and bill.

More Mick or more Keith or just even? BTW: Well hit!

Date: September 27, 2010 19:56

i prefer more mick than keith, especially these days.

Date: September 27, 2010 20:36

There is some truth in what stoneswashed77 says, at least about the lines Taylor plays on PMS. When push comes to shove it's not spectacular - although it's nice to hear him with the Stones again winking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 27, 2010 21:22

DandelionPowderman
There is some truth in what stoneswashed77 says, at least about the lines Taylor plays on PMS. When push comes to shove it's not spectacular - although it's nice to hear him with the Stones again winking smiley

He fits in very naturally,as he's never been away.
Would you do any better?

Date: September 27, 2010 22:53

I agree, he fits in nicely, but he didn't do a blistering performance like some posters here say.

<Would you do any better?>

LOL! Guitar players don't think that way.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 27, 2010 22:55

DandelionPowderman
I agree, he fits in nicely, but he didn't do a blistering performance like some posters here say.

Too modest DP..smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-27 22:56 by Amsterdamned.

Date: September 27, 2010 23:29

DandelionPowderman

i think i could. smiling smiley

Re: Plundered My Soul!!!
Posted by: Swedgen72 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 04:58

euro'73
Great work, great voice and brilliant guitar work.
The best way to dust off the old tapes.
Who cares it has a 2009 flavour spread over the songs. It's their own work. Let them do it the way they thinks it's the best. Otherwise these gems never see the day of light.

Loads of thanks to Mick Jagger to invite Mick Taylor to the overdub sessions last October in London.

This is the result when the two Micks are back in the studio again.

Hope there will follow more of those sessions.

Maybe if there aren't going to be any more tours or collaborations (which is likely), Jagger and Taylor can record a new album together. Based on this I would guess the quality would be pretty good.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 12, 2011 16:00

Yes MT is a true player comes in and does his part sounds natural and enriches the song which is what most great players can do.

play the guitar boy

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: October 2, 2011 03:15

i think jagger sounds amazing.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 2, 2011 07:52

I think Jagger didn't @#$%& up the song with shitty dumb lyrics like he did on ABB.. For that alone he made the song listenable and I'm glad and thankful for that....

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 2, 2011 11:11

stoneswashed77
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
flowerchild

Without making this thread about Ronnie - its not "maybe a bit about Bill and Charlie" post Brian. Charlie got recognition during the years (quite rightly so) but the forgotten one here is Bill. I used to think Keiths reaction when Bill quit was part of some stupid tantrum but I actually respect Keith a whole lot for what he said back then, in 1993. Or what it meant to Keith.
Bill was crucial to the sound (underrated, yes) and probably to the dynamics of the band. If Ronnie was the messenger boy Bill was the older brother who laughed at Keiths and Micks ongoing fauds. Sounds like were talking about kids here and in a way they still are. I think Keith had weaved golden threads with Bill, not with Ronnie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-02 11:13 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: darylad ()
Date: October 2, 2011 13:40

it's the lyrics that make it, with Mick T's melodic fills. Dude is wondering how/why some drunk, witty bitch misread his signals...

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 2, 2011 14:38

darylad
it's the lyrics that make it, with Mick T's melodic fills.

I heard some gossip,
You'd become an alcoholic,
You were dryin' out.
So I phoned every clinic
In the Yellow Pages,
Not a trace I found.

I wonder, about whom did he write it? Marianne, may be?

Date: October 2, 2011 16:58

Ronnie.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 13, 2014 18:01

Wasn't sure where to put this: I ordered the promo CD and it showed up yesterday. It's fantastic to finally have the radio mix on CD! However it is beyond brickwalled. Wow.

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: September 13, 2014 20:57

GasLightStreet
Wasn't sure where to put this: I ordered the promo CD and it showed up yesterday. It's fantastic to finally have the radio mix on CD! However it is beyond brickwalled. Wow.

Nice!
What does "beyond brickwalled" mean?

Date: September 13, 2014 23:34

OutOfTime
GasLightStreet

Nice!

Loud sound, without a hint of dynamics.

Date: September 14, 2014 05:17

DandelionPowderman
OutOfTime
GasLightStreet

Nice!

Loud sound, without a hint of dynamics.

It's on 10 the whole time!

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: September 14, 2014 08:13

Would love to smash stoneswashed head in, on behalf of all fat bastards everywhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-14 08:14 by lapaz62.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 14, 2014 09:46

The radio mix is available from Qobuz in CD quality for a while now : [www.qobuz.com]

Date: September 15, 2014 03:38

kowalski
The radio mix is available from Qobuz in CD quality for a while now : [www.qobuz.com]

Oh.

Well, I saw it - the promo - for $9 something so I figured what the hell.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122
Current Page: 22 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home