Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 22
Re: Plundered My Soul!!!
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:22

micawber
whitem8
Actually I see Plundered and the other outtakes as Jagger finding peace and compromise with his aversion to dig up the past. He is always wanting to move forward...yes when presented with Tattoo You he embraced it and I think was quite surprised by how successful it was. But also I feel this bugged him, and he had a hard time reconciling the fact that the outtakes were better received than a lot of the previous stuff. And he goes out of his way to say how much he doesn't like to drudge up the past. So now he has embraced the re-release of Exile and also felt inspired to go into the studio and add a contemporary voice to the past.
And fans should not underestimate the importance of Mick calling MT in to participate. He seems to have come to peace with his feelings of betrayal, and Keith seems to have gotten over his own insecurities to collaborate with MT again.
So again, like Tattoo You, these new releases demand to be viewed as new. And inspired by EOMS. Again, the original is there for us all to covet and revel in. And the outtakes are our "new" album that many fans have been clamoring for. Ok, so MJ, MT, and Keif can't be expected to be like they were in 72! Get over it, time moves on, but it is thrilling to hear them wanting to add to something they left in the can for so long. For me, listening to all the snippets of the upcoming release is exciting and interesting. And yes a lot of it sounds fantastic!
What is clear though is you can't change a fan's mind on what they like and dislike, but it does get a bit old when it seems like the first instinct is to criticize and wish for what could have been. That is the story of the Stones! They always do it their way, and that is why they are still here, and have made history being the longest successful band from the 60's.
I guess I am happy to hear this new stuff, and I don't need it to be perfect, or sound like it would fit neatly into EOMS. It really shouldn't! EOMS was their statement in 1972, and these "new/old" tracks are their new statement. I view them as separate from EOMS. Their new album with Mick Taylor!

I could've done without all that. I don't care about names and new things, if they're are worse than most of what was released and mediocre at best. Don't you see the way the stones are going? It's not a matter of age, I'm sure. This is ruined by the 'prefectionist" Jagger, and no Keith around to stop him. Mick just forgot to feel the songs by concentrating on learned singing technique.

Then don't read it. I could care less what you could do with or do without.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:56

i think jagger is not the perfectionist here i think some of the fans posting here have become the perfectionists

Date: April 17, 2010 11:57

ahmen ghostryder!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:57

Plundered My Soul is brilliant.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: April 17, 2010 12:00

drewmaster
Beelyboy
straycatuk
I can understand people been disappointed with Mick's vocals . I'd like to hear a performance like Let it Loose , but that was recorded almost 40 years ago . He's 66 YEARS OLD........ I think he's done a great job with an older, less "flexible" voice. Imagine Daltry trying to sing on a Who's next outake or Dylan on something left off Blood on the Tracks..... er, maybe not !

sc uk

personally i don't think it has to do with mick's age or the age of his vocal cords, nor the power of finesse, delivery and power he still certainly has!! listen to that country song on his solo thing and he's just a great great singer, still! really impressed with what he can certainly certainly still do. he very very capable. i just assume that perhaps he's lost his own way, perhaps from being so big that no one seems to say... let's relax mick; put down your shoulders.. sing the melody once or twice without putting anything on the ball...get INto it etc.... probably just oh mick that's so great; you're still such a stud...billionaire mick i just love even the snot that you wipe on your custom shirt sleeves....whatever.... he damn capable of cutting buko tres excellente vokes!!!!!! imo.... he just kinda missed the boat with the overdoing it characterization of self. imo. mick mick mick. take it easy. don't force shit. you're a natural baby.... get a produce who dosen't need to kiss your ass or is less starstruck, money hungry whatever.... it not his age, unless the age of his mind constantly seperating himself, conciously and openly, from being a singer for a rock band... seems to me anyway,....

Agree 100%

Drew

Completely agree as well. Besides, I don't know why many use SAL as a benchmark of what Mick's vocals are today. It's obvious to anyone who hear boots (Saitama, Glasgow to name only the soundboards) that he was in poor shape at the Beacon (actually the recording should have been canned, just like the RnR circus had been. Release Saitama and apologize to Scorcese, shit happens. But of course investments I guess were too big). In EVERY stones or Jagger album, there are evidence that in the studio he can still do whatever he likes, hit the notes as high as he likes. Out of Control, Hide Away, Laugh I Nearly Died, Keys to your love, and the second half of PMS (edit: and the overdubbed vocals on Live Licks' Street Fighting Man, astonishing POWER) all show that, whether one agrees with what Jagger CHOOSES to do with his voice, the voice itself is impeccable. It's actually amazing, he sounds as a twenty year old.

In a sense, I almost wish he had aged more; there's something odd in hearing this teenager voice in Keys to your love. I love the vocals on "Don't call me up" or "Evening gown" or "Let me down slow" because he does dig into this deeper register that he now ALSO has.

I hear potentialities and sounds in Jagger's voice that I actually PREFER to his younger voice: I prefer Sweet Virginia and Dead Flowers sung today than on the albums. Which makes it all the more frustrating that he seems indeed to often fall into a caricatural version of his younger self. Note: this is not at all an age problem because it happens from IORR already. If You Can't Rock Me is already a caricature of the vocals of Rip This Joint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-17 12:02 by otonneau.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 17, 2010 12:31

There's something fundamentally missing from Mick's vocals these days, otonneau. In many ways it's Mick's raw energy and power and a lightness and vitality of being younger. Some Girls and the 78 tour was really the last time his voice was truly still possessing all those elements, and by Tattoo You he was perhaps showing a new maturity which actually suited some of the songs - falsetto etc. but his voice was aging also. I haven't enjoyed many of his vocals from Voodoo Lounge onwards and his vocals from the Shine A Light film accurately reflect his progressively bad sound. Listened to Paul Rodgers recently and he's managed to preserve his voice rather better.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 17, 2010 12:36

MJ is singing better every time. Sometimes he overacts, but this is MJ, not Bob Dylan (i love BD)

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 17, 2010 12:44

Plundered is right now placed 24th on the most downloaded Itunes songs, let's push it to the top tens!

Just bought it

Cheers

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 17, 2010 13:07

If you believe what Mick has said in several interviews, there aren't any 1972 vocals or lyrics to use, because there never were any. Of course you are free to disbelieve him, and I'm sure some people will.

So the vocals are brand new, both lyrics and voice. The mix is new. And apart from starting with the original outtake as the backing track, it doesn't sound to me as if anybody has tried very hard (or indeed at all) to make something that sounds as if it came off the original Exile. If that's what you were hoping for, you'll be disappointed, and quite a few people are.

So what have we got? A new Jagger lyric that might have come off the Alfie soundtrack; a vocal in Mick's 21st-century voice - but set against a beautiful previously-unknown 1970s backing track and duetting with Mick Taylor's guitar once again (I'm inclined to believe that this is indeed new MT). The result isn't Exile - maybe a modern take on what Exile might have sounded like if Mick had had the chance to remix it in the 70s, as he often said he wanted to. I'm glad he didn't get that chance at the time, but the new Plundered My Soul is a very good (though not great) track in its own right, and for me it works. Those who can't stand MJ's modern voice or Don Was's production are entitled to their taste and their opinion, but after playing PMS through several times trying to work out the lyrics I'm enjoying it very much.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 17, 2010 16:39

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 17, 2010 16:55

71Tele
I just have to say that if a year ago any of us on this board would have said "in one year the Stones will put out a new record with Mick Taylor joining and a re-energized Mick Jagger will be totally involved, enthusiastic and committed, and it will be the best-sounding thing they have done in decades" we would have been laughed off this site. Well, friends, it appears the impossible has happened. I never, ever, thought we would see 10 unheard songs from the "Big Four" era officially released on one disc. I just don't understand the negative comments I have seen here. What is it you want, exactly?

agree 100%

scuk

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 17, 2010 17:28

straycatuk
71Tele
I just have to say that if a year ago any of us on this board would have said "in one year the Stones will put out a new record with Mick Taylor joining and a re-energized Mick Jagger will be totally involved, enthusiastic and committed, and it will be the best-sounding thing they have done in decades" we would have been laughed off this site. Well, friends, it appears the impossible has happened. I never, ever, thought we would see 10 unheard songs from the "Big Four" era officially released on one disc. I just don't understand the negative comments I have seen here. What is it you want, exactly?

agree 100%

scuk

Me too. Just gave it a listen, love it. OK, Mick's vocals are definitely "up to date" so to say, but nevertheless ... it doesn't detract from it for me.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 17, 2010 17:40

Trying to figure out where the Taylor guitar could be new. So far from what I can tell it's all good playing so there's nothing new on this one. Perhaps at 2:00, that little lick and the riff is new, the tone is different than the rest. But that Taylor guitar sure sounds like it's from 1971 since nobody has that sound anymore.

Plundered My Soul Reviews
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: April 16, 2010 07:50

I first listened on my laptop speakers and I really thought it was another Mick and Don Was terrorist act on the Stones. But then I burned the thing I played it out on the stereo. My fears of listening to Voodoo Lounge mixes vanished as soon as i cranked it up and I must confess the tune sounds quite fresh and I bet my balls thats a brand new Mick Taylor guitar on there and it so so so cool, it fits so well. I dont here Keith anywhere, Wyman shines and the keyboard landscapes are classic Exile. Off course these are asumptions, but neverthless it felt good to listen to the track. The backing vocals are far off the classic sound of those ladies that made their way to sunset LA back in 71' I wish they could have sounded a bit different... maybe turn the horns a bit up. I am really thankful to Mick Jagger for doing this for us and I hope Mick Taylor can hang out creatively in the future... one more thing , who ever said that Mick vocals are buried on this mix is dead wrong. Enjoy the rest and off course Fallons week.

Re: Plundered My Soul Reviews
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 16, 2010 07:57

i just hear snippet a few times but i love being there inside the track; feels great; sounds good... good news all around!!

beelyboy...Think About it

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 08:44

Ironically, it sounds like the Faces.

Date: April 16, 2010 08:50

....who sounded like the Stones..

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 16, 2010 09:03

What I have heard of the track has a great vibe to it. Guitars sound like KR & MT to me, but I will have to reserve final opinion until I hear the complete track. These bonus track could be the "new" Stones album most of us have been hoping against hope we could have.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 16, 2010 10:26

Love it. And to think it's a cleaned up out-take.

Posted by: Sune ()
Date: April 16, 2010 10:33

I agree. It's wonderful and sounds fantastic. Cannot remember when I last heard something from the Stones-camp as interesting as this. Still, the whole set up of merging 1971 wit 2009 is controversial, but why not? It's working beautifully.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: April 16, 2010 10:40

After hearing it about ten times, I'm sorry, but the song is pure crap, and it's evident why it didn't appear on the 70ies masterpieces.
- Where's the solo(s)?
- That's no intro, that's a start
- Why the *?$@ does it sound like a recent Jagger solo recording? Is it the production, the mix or just the 'precise', forced lead vocals that don't fit the song's sloppy 'Exile' style?
- What's wrong with the rhythm guitar track? There's not one single rhythm guitar track on exile with a similar sound. For me the basic track is either from the ghs/iorr sessions (see Dance Little Sister, f.ex.) or completely new, and I'm not convinced it's Keith at all.
- I hate the falsetto vox
- All that leads me to the fact that Keith hadn't much to do with these unreleased tracks. Is he just tired of the fights with Mick concerning vox/production or doesn't he care at all anymore?
- Why is the rhythm guitar nearly buried in the mix? see above
- Why does it seem the boys are not able to write new songs anymore, better new songs especially, as they feel forced to release songs like that?
- for example there are some far better songs on the latest albums, but nearly all of them lack feel, sound and production, (drums, bass, piano, guitars). Is it just the loss of Stu, Taylor, Bill, Nicky Hopkins, Jimmy Miller, heavy drug use, basements in tropical heat and disease, or did they just lose their passion?

This song is a rip-off by Mick Jagger to me, and nothing else. I would love them to open the vaults and give us the demos and songs as they where thought and recorded back then. But that 'new' exile song is crap, if you regard it as 70s or a 2010s song. It seems to me they just want to sqeeze the last buck out of the move to Universal, and it should hide the lack of creativity of the last 20-30 years. But it doesn't. The greatest Stones album since 1980 is based on 70s songs.

Everyone is hyped by unheard material of the Stones, so am I.
But with some days or weeks in distance, more of you will see PMS is just dogshit in the doorway, and will never get a listen again, as does ABB f.ex.

The 'tattoo you' way doesn't work anymore, because the time gap between the first recordings and the overdubs is far too long. In the case of tattoo you it was about 10 years at the max, and now its nearly 40. You can't bring that together, especially not in the way it was done with PMS.

I had loads of hope concerning the 'new' songs, and still hope the other 9 are much better. And they have to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-16 11:28 by micawber.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: April 16, 2010 10:56

Merger, merger, PLEASE

At the moment - I'm counting 9 (NINE) threads about "Plunder My Soul" on the first page here on Tell Me...
I think it's time for a giant merger.
Don't start any new threads about PMS - this is worse than Tourettes!
MERGER - MERGER, please

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: April 16, 2010 11:15

I like it,Charlie really ''rolled'' in 1971 didn't he.But beyond Charlie and maybe Nicky Hopkins i'm struggling to find any 1971 in there at all.Micks vocal is obviously new,as are the backing vocals and Taylors guitar.The bass could be anybody,Wyman wasn't on half of it anyway and ,as mentioned by Micawber that doesn't sound like an Exile rhythm part to me due to the guitar tone,if indeed it is Keith at all.If the other new tracks follow this pattern,and i wouldn't be surprised if they do,you would have to question not Mick,but instead Keiths interest in the Rolling Stones in 2009/10.

All that said,i posted when news of Exile first broke that should rumours of overdubs be true,i would simply enjoy it as a new stones album and that remains the case.This is a pretty decent start and i cant wait to hear the rest.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 16, 2010 11:19

Good song...the drums are definitely from the Exile sessions.

Nice groove, fantastic Wyman bass, but too much noodling by Taylor.
The chorus is great. The only missing thing is a solo in the
middle with a quiet Jagger.

But the noodling is a 4 minute solo anyway.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 16, 2010 11:22

Addicted
Merger, merger, PLEASE

At the moment - I'm counting 9 (NINE) threads about "Plunder My Soul" on the first page here on Tell Me...
I think it's time for a giant merger.
Don't start any new threads about PMS - this is worse than Tourettes!
MERGER - MERGER, please

I do agree with Addicted .
I think there could be a thread about where to order the single,another one about the lyrics and the last one about the comments and reviews.
I am sorry to say but there is a lot of interesting comments to read on the 3 therads I am talking above and I think it's a pity I would miss some interesting points of view form yours just because I am lose and don't know where to look .
Don't you agree ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 16, 2010 11:50

Long live Mick Taylor!

Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: April 16, 2010 12:21

terraplane
Long live Mick Taylor!

I fully agree. I don't agree with micawber. I listened to it for 10 times I guess. We should not forget it was a take +20 years ago. I guess Jagger's voice doesn't fit with the song itselves (timewise), but I guess that the groove is definetely Exile for me. I love the bass line and although there is no real solo part in it, the complete song is working for me. The chorus remains in my head, so I am convinced it's not a one off, but in fact interesting enough to add to the Stones catalogue.

Sincerely UW

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 16, 2010 13:18

Just heard the whole song...

What is there is very good, I think! Jagger's new vocal sounds modern but I like it anyway. It works.

I definitely think the Taylor lead sounds new -- it reminds me of his latter day Les Paul sound, live and in the studio. Not as smooth as in '72, but it's unmistakable Mick Taylor and I like it a lot. A lot of noodling (typical of him, very '72-74), but there's no solo, which brings me to my main complaint:

- The song structure is way too simple, at least for a single. There's no solo (!), no bridge, and the intro is pretty non-existent. I'm pretty sure it is because of the limitations of the outtake. If Jagger would have written this single from scratch today, I'm sure he'd make it a more complete song.

My other complaints are:

- Rhythm guitar is buried and doesn't have much chug-a-chug groove (á la Happy or Tumbling Dice).
- Lyrics sound like generic modern Jagger love song writing. I miss the surrealistic word-plays of Rocks Off and Casino Boogie, and the gospel bar-room images of Let It Loose, Loving Cup and Shine A Light.

But those ore my only real complaints.

So in summary, my positive remarks:

- Pretty cool Exile "mess", despite the clear sound of the overdubs. Backing vocals are good. Sound wise, they did a fairly good job merging old and new.
- Melody is pretty catchy after all.
- Put into context within the outtakes disc, this will probably sound real good. Its limited structure will then work very well, just like some of the sketchier tracks on Exile.
- Awesome to hear Taylor on a new Stones track. Very good decision to invite him, if those are modern overdubs (which I think). Imagine this song without his lead guitar -- that would be like Sway or Hide Your Love without him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-16 13:20 by LieB.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 14:30

The song is excellent. Mick Taylor has a wonderful work. Mick sings very well. He was really hot. The new lyric (I think the song has a new lyric but I am not sure aboun this) is amazing. Lisa and Cindy are very nice.
It´s a great song. It´s a true Mick/Stones song!

I am exciting to listen the other 9 new gons!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 16, 2010 14:39

......it's their best hook in decades.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home