Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: Ya Ya's reissue
Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: November 4, 2009 01:20

Yeah, I've tried to figure that out, it says nothing at all on the disc about region coding and I have an all-region player, which will play it no matter what. Sorry !

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: November 4, 2009 01:23

Ok, thanks anyway smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 4, 2009 01:24

Thanks Rockman.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 4, 2009 03:49

I've got Ya-Yas on now...Pure joy. Taylor's guitar from the vamp of Under My Thumb into I'm Free is priceless. Satisfaction is great. The footage of the Stones meetimg the Dead (with Charlie refusing to kiss the girl) is like two worlds colliding. My only complaint: Why couldn't they combine the MSG footage from this and Gimme Shelter onto one DVD of ALL the MSG tunes: JJF, SFM, HTW, LIV, plus these new ones. It would have been an amazing DVD. I will need to get video editing software just so I can make my own Ya-Yas DVD!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 4, 2009 04:00

Thanks Rockman.

Anytime rambo ..... other thing is that most record store guys
seem ta think that local release of YA YA vinyl super delux set
will still be US pressing and will not be pressed in Australia

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mothra665 ()
Date: November 4, 2009 04:18

on the back of my box it states that the dvd is region 1

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 4, 2009 04:48

Yeaaah good news!

Here's the story of my Ya-Ya's pre-order>grinning smiley<

First i've pre-ordered it on Amazon UK, those #@#@# have cancelled it!
So the same day , i've pre-ordered it once again on Amazon US
and now here's the message i got today !

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this
completes your order. Your order is being shipped and cannot be changed
by you or by our customer service department.

You can track the status of this order, and all your orders, online by
visiting Your Account

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! The R... $71.99 1 $71.99

Shipped via Standard Int'l Shipping

Item Subtotal: $71.99
Shipping and handling: $6.48

Pre-order Guarantee: $0.00

Credit Applied: $0.00

Total: $78.47

Paid by Visa: $78.47

Our Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this order. If
the Amazon.com price decreases between the time you place your order and
the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price.

via Standard Int'l Shipping (estimated delivery date: December 14, 2009).

This shipment does not have an associated tracking or delivery
confirmation number

I think i will get it sooner

winking smiley

HMN

Date: November 4, 2009 06:00

Rockman
Thanks Rockman.

Anytime rambo ..... other thing is that most record store guys
seem ta think that local release of YA YA vinyl super delux set
will still be US pressing and will not be pressed in Australia

I would be very surprised if they pressed and printed the set locally. All the new UMG reissues I've got are from the EU (Germany), and the ABKCO 2002 reissues were also from the EU. However the reissue of Jump Back is in the old style jewel case, rather than the newer super jewel case like the EU-pressed albums, so maybe they pressed that one locally - I didn't check.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: November 4, 2009 07:14

I pre-ordered my deluxe edition from Amazon US 2 weeks ago & although they promised deivery by NOv. 5, it arrived today on SF...the box says "Region 1" for those who want to know...although I wanted the super deluxe edition with the vinyl, I knew that this would add greatly to the shipping cost & may even delay the shipping...as anything vinyl related ALWAYS presents problems...I assume & hope that I will be able to purchase the vinyl at a later date...and will be surprised if the vinyl is not offered for sale separately....and fans should not forget that there is substantial evidence that some parts of Ya Ya's is from the previous night in Baltimore, Maryland...which I attended btw.....peter

Date: November 4, 2009 07:42

Has anyone considered photographing (and posting) an unboxing session with the new set?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 4, 2009 09:24

>> on the back of my box it states that the dvd is region 1 <<

thanks mothra665 - that's a drag! i was *really* hoping for a one-size-fits-all disk,
since i don't want one that's been messed up speed/pitch-wise by converting it to PAL.
region and system are completely different things, but if they're region-coding it,
there's a greater chance that they're changing systems too for the European release (if you see what i mean).

sigh! if it is PAL, that'll be even stupider than usual, since the CDs with the same numbers
will play at the right speed/pitch, making the difference way more obvious than usual
grr and bah humbug ... but again: thanks for the information

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-04 09:25 by with sssoul.

Posted by: surfingelectrode ()
Date: November 4, 2009 09:34

studiorambo
Has anyone considered photographing (and posting) an unboxing session with the new set?

I've already opened mine, but here's the best I can do with text:

The box itself looks nice. For whatever reason, it looks like they recolored the road line a pure white, from the grayish color it was originally. It looks a bit weird.

When you take off the lid, there's the book on top. It's nice and big and has excerpts from Ethan Russell's new book along with a lot of nice photos (along with a photo of the original unused Ya-Ya's cover that I'd never seen before), the original Lester Bangs review, and fan recollections.

Under that is the 'poster reproduction'. Big letdown. It's pretty much the same type of thing as that lame poster card that came with the original vinyl release of Goats Head Soup, but with the poster design on it. It would've been nicer if it was a big fold out poster.

The press release said that it came with a reproduction of the tour program. It does not.

Under that is the eight-panel gatefold jacket. The front and back covers are about the same as the original vinyl release. When you unfold it once, it's got a big photo of MSG before the show. Unfold it again, and the first three panels each have a record, while the fourth has all of the CDs and DVD.

It's a really nice set. Hopefully the Stones will start releasing more archival things... I'll keep buying them if they're as good as this!

Date: November 4, 2009 10:06

Can someone tell me what the outside dimensions of the Deluxe box is? Yes I took the gas and got the CD-only set.

Date: November 4, 2009 10:10

thanks for the detailed description, surfingelectrode.

>> The press release said that it came with a reproduction of the tour program. It does not. <<

actually, to be fair even though i'm very irked at ABKCO's false advertising about other aspects of the release,
i don't see where the press release ( [www.iorr.org] ) promises a reproduction of a tour program - just
"a reproduction of the original Stones ’69 tour poster by David Byrd".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-04 10:11 by with sssoul.

Date: November 4, 2009 10:14

surfingelectrode
studiorambo

. For whatever reason, it looks like they recolored the road line a pure white, from the grayish color it was originally. It looks a bit weird.

Thanks for you addition Surfingelectrode. From memory they did the same with the title text for the 2002 reissue of Englands Newest Hitmakers. It was originally a creamy or off-white, but in 2002 it's stark arctic white.

Date: November 4, 2009 10:15

with sssoul
thanks for the detailed description, surfingelectrode.

>> The press release said that it came with a reproduction of the tour program. It does not. <<

actually, to be fair even though i'm very irked at ABKCO's false advertising about other aspects of the release,
i don't see where the press release ( [www.iorr.org] ) promises a reproduction of a tour program - just
"a reproduction of the original Stones ’69 tour poster by David Byrd".

Here's what it says on Amazon:

"12 X 12 replica of the original 1969 tour book and poster "

What else did they falsely advertise? Apart from my record jacket having a nasty rip on one of the top seams, I'm really happy with this release.

Hell, if Abkco released deluxe editions of every album from Out of Our Heads onwards, I'd buy them instantly. Mono + stereo, US + UK and bonus tracks in one box? Bring it on. With this release and the forthcoming deluxe Exile, it looks like we're going to start getting some great releases.

Date: November 4, 2009 10:42

>> Here's what it says on Amazon: "12 X 12 replica of the original 1969 tour book and poster" <<

hm, that ain't right! amazon has a function where you can report inaccuracies in their product descriptions -
it might be a good deed to use it

>> What else did they falsely advertise? <<

to me when someone says "five previously unreleased tracks", that should include
"not previously released on the Criterion edition of Gimme Shelter".

and again: i'm not complaining about the release. i'm complaining about the false advertising,
which just demeans a perfectly good product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-04 10:45 by with sssoul.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 4, 2009 10:48

Honestman
Yeaaah good news!

Here's the story of my Ya-Ya's pre-order>grinning smiley<

First i've pre-ordered it on Amazon UK, those #@#@# have cancelled it!
So the same day , i've pre-ordered it once again on Amazon US
and now here's the message i got today !

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this
completes your order. Your order is being shipped and cannot be changed
by you or by our customer service department.

You can track the status of this order, and all your orders, online by
visiting Your Account

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! The R... $71.99 1 $71.99

Shipped via Standard Int'l Shipping

Item Subtotal: $71.99
Shipping and handling: $6.48

Pre-order Guarantee: $0.00

Credit Applied: $0.00

Total: $78.47

Paid by Visa: $78.47

Our Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this order. If
the Amazon.com price decreases between the time you place your order and
the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price.

via Standard Int'l Shipping (estimated delivery date: December 14, 2009).

This shipment does not have an associated tracking or delivery
confirmation number

I think i will get it sooner

winking smiley

Same here of course !winking smiley

BTW ,Helter, many thanks for your review (don't know if you've post it on this thread or another one ...ckeck your inbox .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: November 4, 2009 10:56

with sssoul
>> What else did they falsely advertise? <<

to me when someone says "five previously unreleased tracks", that should include
"not previously released on the Criterion edition of Gimme Shelter".

and again: i'm not complaining about the release. i'm complaining about the false advertising,
which just demeans a perfectly good product.

Gotcha. I've been meaning to pick up the Criterion "Gimme Shelter" for a long time, but it's so expensive! If I were to go to a store and buy it, it'd cost three dollars less than the 3CD/1DVD "Ya-Ya's" set costs on Amazon!

I know that some people are complaining about the bonus tracks being on a separate disc and not mixed in with the album, but I love the way Abkco did it... if you play the second disc immediately after the first, it's almost like a great encore.. two acoustic covers and three hits! I'm really digging the BB King and Ike/Tina sets as well.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 4, 2009 12:50

Received this in my inbox ....

Even after the deluge of Woodstock 40th anniversary commemorations we’ve seen this year, a new box set revisiting the Rolling Stones’ celebrated U.S. tour a couple of months after those three days of peace and music makes an invaluable addition to the pop music archives.
“Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out!: The Rolling Stones in Concert,” being released today, starts with the original 1970 live album, which has long stood as one of the great documents of one of rock’s cornerstone bands in absolute peak form.

That album, culled from two shows at Thanksgiving at New York's Madison Square Garden, is supplemented in this four-disc package ($59.98 list price) by a second disc comprising five tracks not included on the original set. A third CD captures the rest of the evening’s stirring opening sets by B.B. King and Ike and Tina Turner. The fourth disc contains film footage from the Stones' tour shot by acclaimed documentarians Albert and David Maysles (whose 1964 footage of the Beatles' first U.S. tour provided the inspiration for “A Hard Day’s Night”) for what would become the 1970 film "Gimme Shelter."

There’s also a “super deluxe” set ($99.98) that includes the three music discs on vinyl as well as CD.

By the time of the Garden shows, guitarist Mick Taylor had replaced Brian Jones, who’d been fired a few months earlier and then died under mysterious circumstances. In November, “Let It Bleed” was just being released, so the heart of the Stones’ set list was the material drawn from that album and its 1968 predecessor, “Beggars Banquet.” (Yes, Virginia, once upon a time, the Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World was more interested in its newest songs than its classics.)

In fact, the big nods to the past were their versions of songs by a couple of their R&B and blues heroes: Chuck Berry’s “Carol” and “Little Queenie” and Robert Johnson’s “Love in Vain.” The bonus disc and the DVD capture a couple more: Robert Wilkins’ “Prodigal Son” and Fred McDowell and the Rev. Gary Davis’ “You Gotta Move,” which Mick Jagger and Keith Richards play as a virtual unplugged duo, Jagger sinuously singing while Richards applies a wicked slide to his old-school resonator guitar.

The Stones at this stage were still bona fide bad boys of rock — these shows took place less than two weeks before their appearance at the Altamont Motor Speedway, which would torpedo the hippie euphoria from Woodstock in August when Hells Angels hired by the Stones to provide security killed a fan.

Back-to-back renditions of “Midnight Rambler” and “Sympathy for the Devil” play out like the modern-day equivalent of the fabled midnight deal in which bluesman Johnson surrendered his soul for the ability to play and sing like nothing human.

The sound is sterling, Richards’ guitar soaring effortlessly over the nimble rhythm section work by bassist Bill Wyman and drummer Charlie Watts. As dramatic as are the cornerstone numbers, which also include “Honky Tonk Women” and “Street Fighting Man,” I still argue that the Stones never sounded more exhilarating than in the Berry-inspired “Live With Me.”

The Maysles’ film catches Richards and Jimi Hendrix hanging out backstage, comparing notes on a Plexiglas guitar; then Janis Joplin can be spotted looking on from the side of the stage. There’s also a curious separate snippet of film showing an impatient group of Stones biding their time at an airport waiting for an overdue plane along with Jerry Garcia and other members of the Grateful Dead.

The package also includes a 55-page book built around photos that Ethan Russell shot while on tour with the group. He also contributes text describing the unfolding of that tour — noting that before showtime, New York Philharmonic conductor Leonard Bernstein was hanging out backstage with Jagger.

Sandwiched in the middle is critic Lester Bangs’ Rolling Stone review of the “Ya-Ya’s” album when it appeared about a year later. It’s amusing to read even back in 1970 Bangs referring to worries about the future of rock music and how the form appeared to be in trouble, even though he thought the Stones sounded magnificent on the live album: “I’m beginning to think Ya-Ya’s just might be the best album they ever made.”

The remarkable thing is how many Stones aficionados would be willing to stand by that statement 40 years later.

-- Randy Lewis

[latimesblogs.latimes.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 4, 2009 13:57

I wish they would just sell the dvd on its own

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: November 4, 2009 15:52

YaYas vinyl was pressed in Nashville by same outfit that does Jack White's stuff.
Anybody know how it [the vinyl] sounds?

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 4, 2009 18:12

gmanp
YaYas vinyl was pressed in Nashville by same outfit that does Jack White's stuff.
Anybody know how it [the vinyl] sounds?

I have the second Raconteurs on vinyl. Deep, expansive sound, thick records with a tad too much built-in crackle and snap here and there.

Some Pictures from The Superdeluxe Ya-Ya's , arrived today , no extra's for tax
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: November 4, 2009 14:28

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-16 12:06 by UrbanSteel.

Re: Some Pictures from The Superdeluxe Ya-Ya's , arrived today , no extra's for tax
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 4, 2009 14:31

Very nice. Thanks for the pictures.

Where did you buy it?

Re: Some Pictures from The Superdeluxe Ya-Ya's , arrived today , no extra's for tax
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 4, 2009 14:32

excellent - thanks Urban...

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 4, 2009 14:35

sleeves are more than wonderful smiling smiley
and ringtones are really pathetic.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 4, 2009 14:39

oh and I'm seeing BB & Tina setlists for the first time - how great idea it was to include 'em!
Ya-Ya's are the most raw official recording of the Stones when both Tina & BB are kind of soft and easier to listen to
that "balances" the material in my opinion and makes it even better ;-)
it's like having "I Got the Blues" next to "Bitch", weird at first but great pace-settin'.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: November 4, 2009 16:30

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-16 12:06 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: November 4, 2009 18:30

this really looks great!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home