Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: Ya Ya's reissue
Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: November 6, 2009 12:23

Eleanor Rigby
OK - we still get conflicting reports of what show "Satisfaction" comes from.
The version in the Gimme Shelter movie is a pieced-together version of 2 shows (28/11 1st & 2nd shows)

QUESTION:

What show is the version of Satisfaction on the new Ya Ya's CD from?

What show is the version of Satisfaction on the new Ya Ya's DVD from?

from the snippet i have seen (posted on IORR a few days ago), it sounds like the 28/11 2st show (Gimme Shelter version)...
The CD version - I assume is the one heard on the Guitar Hero version - is the 28th 1st show...

confirmation please?
(I could wait a week to work it out myself)

ChrisM says the new CD version is the same as the DVD version.

But are you sure the GS movie version is spliced from two different shows? Keith is wearing a red shirt throughout the song, except just after the first break ( "No no no...." ) where he's wearing a blue shirt for a few seconds, then it's back to a red shirt for the rest of the song. They must have been missing a few seconds of footage, or otherwise the film editor (Charlotte Zwerin) could have thought the blue shirt clip was good for dramatic effect as it shows Keith rapidly strumming out the grinding riff. This doesn't immediately suggest the remaining 95% of the song is made from two different performances. However if it is, then I assume this has been discovered by comparing with audience bootlegs etc?

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: November 6, 2009 13:56

Right, here's the thing. Maybe someone can help me with it.

As I've mentioned before, after receiving my email from Amazon.uk informing me that my order for Super Deluxe YaYa's had been cancelled, and due to impatience and fear of not getting hold of a copy, I placed an order with the parent company Amazon.com.

Of course after placing the order, I realised that the DVD might be region specific, rather than multi-region. Which leaves me in UK with a DVD which won't play.

So is any kind soul out there able to help me out and make a copy of the DVD and send it to me? Of course I'd be willing to reimburse anyone for the post, packaging and cost of blank DVD!

Anyone gonna help a brother out?

Date: November 6, 2009 14:16

Hi Monkeytonkman -

If you are using a standalone DVD player (the kind you would have beside you tv set), it's possible to reconfigure it from a single region to be able to play any region discs. It usually involves opening the disc tray, keying a number on the remote control, then closing the disc tray. I've done this recently with mine and have been able to play the US version of Gimme Shelter. You can search Google for your make + model number + "unlock region" or something similar. There are lots of web pages telling you how to do this.

If you are using a computer to watch DVDs, I believe they usually lock you into one region only. With Windows XP it gives you 5 chances to change the region code before locking you into the region that you have to stick with. There are ways to reconfigure a computer DVD drive to be multi-region by downloading a software patch, but this is risky. I have suceeded with one drive, but with another it made it malfunction and it never worked since.

Cheers,
WLY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-06 14:16 by WeLoveYou.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 6, 2009 15:29

>> There are lots of web pages telling you how to do this. <<

here's an example: [www.videohelp.com]

(but have you actually received the DVD and found it won't play on your region-2 equipment?
maybe they just labelled it "region 1" and in fact it's region-free? until further notice a sssoul can hope :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-06 15:36 by with sssoul.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 6, 2009 21:05

studiorambo
I'm getting edgy waiting for my Ya-Ya's package. It's been four days into an expedited average delivery period of 8-16 days. Strangely Amazon give me an estimated delivery date of December 1. Now sure how they come up with that. I'll be pissed if I have to wait that long.

Same here !

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: November 6, 2009 21:19

with sssoul
(but have you actually received the DVD and found it won't play on your region-2 equipment?
maybe they just labelled it "region 1" and in fact it's region-free? until further notice a sssoul can hope :E

I don't see nowhere they labelled it "region 1"
the DVD has subtitles (english, french, spanish, brazilian portuguese, japanese"
so I suppose it's "region-free".

Date: November 6, 2009 22:46

Hey all.....I've just been listening to this:-

GYYYO Deluxe Set on Amazon.com - 30sec sound clips

Date: November 6, 2009 22:54

>> I don't see nowhere they labelled it "region 1"
the DVD has subtitles (english, french, spanish, brazilian portuguese, japanese"
so I suppose it's "region-free" <<

... okay, i'm officially confused again!
there are so many different stories about so many different aspects of this release -
Christian, did you get yours from the US amazon.com? and it doesn't say "region 1" anywhere on the package?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 6, 2009 22:56

Sounds like the same version of Satisfaction on the CD. Could you clarify why you posted the link?

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: November 6, 2009 23:12

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-15 22:19 by UrbanSteel.

Date: November 6, 2009 23:17

ChrisM
Sounds like the same version of Satisfaction on the CD. Could you clarify why you posted the link?

Odd question...why do you ask?

Obviously so anyone who hasn't bought it yet can have a listen to a few snippets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-06 23:23 by WeLoveYou.

Date: November 6, 2009 23:24

>> Back of the box says regio 1 , but i played the dvd with my both dvd players ( regio 1 and 2 ) , and both played well <<

thank you Urban Steel ~ and thank all that is praiseworthy if it's really region-free.
that rekindles my hope that they didn't mess around with converting it to PAL for Europe

Date: November 7, 2009 00:04

with sssoul
>> Back of the box says regio 1 , but i played the dvd with my both dvd players ( regio 1 and 2 ) , and both played well <<

thank you Urban Steel ~ and thank all that is praiseworthy if it's really region-free.
that rekindles my hope that they didn't mess around with converting it to PAL for Europe

I hope they haven't done this too. They ought to get rid of DVD regions...

Date: November 7, 2009 00:12

WeLoveYou
ChrisM

Obviously so anyone who hasn't bought it yet can have a listen to a few snippets.
Hmmm odd indeed. I was looking from a context of which version of Satisfaction was used on the Ya Yas CD, DVD and Gimme Shelter DVD since Satisfaction was the first song that came up on the link. Don't know where my head was when I posed the question as the reason was obvious. Never mind!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 7, 2009 00:20

For those who ordered it through amazon.com, did they pack it well?

It must be pretty hard item to pack. I Would really hate to pay 80 dollars for it if the box turned out to be damaged.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: November 7, 2009 00:23

Got my Super-Duper-Deluxe set today, here are some impressions:

I can officially confirm that the DVD is region free. It says "Region 1" one the cover but the disc plays fine on my code 2 PS3.

Satisfaction on the DVD is from 11/27, the version on the CD is from 11/28 (first show). They are two entirely different performances. Both are absolutely STUNNING. Satisfaction in the Gimme Shelter movie is actually a mix of all three MSG performances, mostly 11/28 (2nd).
The Under My Thumb/I´m Free medley on the DVD is from 11/28 (1st show), the CD version is from 11/27.

It´s great to see that they also played the UMT/IF medley during the 11/28 "breakfast show", something I didn´t expect until now. The Under My Thumb section is fantastic: It´s a slow, laid-back version, very similar to the Altamont performance and totally different to the 11/27 version on the CD. Beautiful Keith guitar solo. The I´m Free part is severly cut: It cuts out to backstage footage after 30 seconds and cuts back to the last couple of seconds of the song a few minutes later. A real shame IMO.

What impressed me the most is that the audio quality on the vinyl, CD & DVD is EXCELLENT. Everything is mixed perfectly. There is a bit too much crowd footage on the DVD for my taste but maybe that´s all the footage they have.

Great package overall but I wish there were more bonus performances on this set (Stones that is...). But I´m sure that someday more of the MSG´69 material will be released.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 7, 2009 01:19

Tornandfrayed
[review]

Many thanks for a detailed review, Tornandfrayed
So you ordered it from USA I take it?

I'm disappointed by my order of the LP+CD order being cancelled - so I guess I'll settle for the CD-box version of this excellent release, eventually.

Come to to think of it.....they should have made the "3rd LP" a 45", instead of those stupid "signatures"....the sound might be better if they did so

Date: November 7, 2009 01:43

>> I hope they haven't [converted it to PAL] too. They ought to get rid of DVD regions <<

yes they should - but system (PAL/NTSC) and region-encoding (0/1/2) are completely different things.
anyway i've finally gone ahead and ordered the US version,
but i'll keep the incense of no-PAL-please lit for the rest of us.

Date: November 7, 2009 01:52

Tornandfrayed

Satisfaction on the DVD is from 11/27, the version on the CD is from 11/28 (first show). They are two entirely different performances.
I'll have to listen and look at the performances again. I've listened to the CD many times but I have only seen the DVD once. On the initial listening I had thought the performances of Satisfaction were the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-07 01:55 by ChrisM.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 7, 2009 03:06

Tornandfrayed

I can officially confirm that the DVD is region free. It says "Region 1" one the cover but the disc plays fine on my code 2 PS3.

Satisfaction on the DVD is from 11/27, the version on the CD is from 11/28 (first show). They are two entirely different performances. Both are absolutely STUNNING. Satisfaction in the Gimme Shelter movie is actually a mix of all three MSG performances, mostly 11/28 (2nd).
The Under My Thumb/I´m Free medley on the DVD is from 11/28 (1st show), the CD version is from 11/27.

It´s great to see that they also played the UMT/IF medley during the 11/28 "breakfast show", something I didn´t expect until now. The Under My Thumb section is fantastic: It´s a slow, laid-back version, very similar to the Altamont performance and totally different to the 11/27 version on the CD. Beautiful Keith guitar solo. The I´m Free part is severly cut: It cuts out to backstage footage after 30 seconds and cuts back to the last couple of seconds of the song a few minutes later. A real shame IMO.

What impressed me the most is that the audio quality on the vinyl, CD & DVD is EXCELLENT. Everything is mixed perfectly. There is a bit too much crowd footage on the DVD for my taste but maybe that´s all the footage they have.

Great package overall but I wish there were more bonus performances on this set (Stones that is...). But I´m sure that someday more of the MSG´69 material will be released.

ahhh...Thanks Torn....finally my questions answered.

Yes very interesting they did the medley during the unsurfaced 'breakfast show' !

can't wait to get my discs...

thanks

Date: November 7, 2009 07:03

WeLoveYou

ChrisM says the new CD version is the same as the DVD version.
Chris M was wrong. I listened to the DVD again and the CD and DVD performances of Satisfaction are definitely not the same, Torn got it right, I should listen more carefully before posting definitive statements! Both are great versions by the way and rank amongst my favorite versions. Man, those cats sure could play!

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: November 7, 2009 07:51

My first impression is that ABKCO missed a golden opportunity: The additional tracks on disc two sound much different from the original record. Inasmuch as the entire show could fit on a single CD, ABKCO could have put a remixed version of the entire set, culled from all of the Garden shows, in running order without any overdubs on disc two and included footage of same on the DVD. That would have been maximum value for money. Then, of course, Daddy Klein probably taught his youngins to always leave 'em wanting more. Even so, the package is boss.

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: November 7, 2009 08:56

with sssoul
>> I don't see nowhere they labelled it "region 1"
so I suppose it's "region-free" <<

... okay, i'm officially confused again!
there are so many different stories about so many different aspects of this release -
Christian, did you get yours from the US amazon.com? and it doesn't say "region 1" anywhere on the package?

Yeah, my mistake (thanks, urbansteel for correcting me, next time, I'll put my glasses)

Got it from amazon US, with sssoul, shipping express (november 4th), around 60 euros.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: November 7, 2009 18:40

Erik_Snow

Many thanks for a detailed review, Tornandfrayed
So you ordered it from USA I take it?

[/quote]

Yeah, from Amazon.com with express shipping. It won´t be released here until Nov. 27th and I HAD to get this as fast as possible. grinning smiley It wasn´t really expensive considering the EUR/USD exchange rates.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 7, 2009 19:57

Just checked out the clips on Amazon. Sounds awesome - can't wait!!!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 8, 2009 00:29

GYYYO! has aged better than they have! HA HA!

[www.californiachronicle.com]

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 8, 2009 00:59

How ironic that we now two versions of some songs on Ya-Ya's that weren't even originally on the album in the first place.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 8, 2009 03:58

studiorambo
How ironic that we now two versions of some songs on Ya-Ya's that weren't even originally on the album in the first place.
Exactly my thoughts too. And considering they used a whole CD + DVD for only those five new songs *and* feeding 'em to the Guitar Hero crowd gives the impression that ABKCO kind got obsessed with the bonus tracks and forgot about some of the really awesome parts of the rest of the MSG shows (Rambler, Sympathy, Queenie, Live With Me....dang, the whole show!).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 8, 2009 11:49

LieB
gives the impression that ABKCO kind got obsessed with the bonus tracks and forgot about some of the really awesome parts of the rest of the MSG shows (Rambler, Sympathy, Queenie, Live With Me....dang, the whole show!).

I can understand them. Those new cuts thrilled my world - and made me realize why I happen to love the Rolling Stones so much, and why they actually are the greatest of them all - more than any new release they have done since, say, 1989 or so.

- Doxa

Date: November 9, 2009 13:31

ChrisM
WeLoveYou
ChrisM

Hmmm odd indeed. I was looking from a context of which version of Satisfaction was used on the Ya Yas CD, DVD and Gimme Shelter DVD since Satisfaction was the first song that came up on the link. Don't know where my head was when I posed the question as the reason was obvious. Never mind!

Ok...was wondering what you meant. No worries...
Cheers,
WLY

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home