Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: Ya Ya's reissue
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 31, 2009 11:27

HelterSkelter
BUT, we forgot the steak.........

Ha ha ,you seem to like meat ,don't ya ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: October 31, 2009 11:29

bobdylan1258
On the DVD there are 8 "chapters:

1. Intro (footage outside/inside the Garden of crowd/ walk to stage)
2. Prodigal Son (brilliant. Pisses on the Gimme Shelter stuff. Keith tunes guitar mid-song. Song cut short by Keith to Mick's surprise) Complete performance.
3. You Gotta Move (brilliant.introduced as "The Spider & The Lady". Fizzles out at end as a performance)
4. Photo Shoot (on M5 or M6 near West Bromwich. Loads of twaddle about Charlie's poor quality sandwiches and moaning about the weather. All quite ridiculous!)
5. Keith in Studio (Pleasant piano interlude, then lots of carting tape boxes (Sister Morphine Take 2) around)
6. Under My Thumb (fades in from Keith smoking and mixing. Fake fades and cutaways. Doesn't exactly "rock". Medleyfies into I'm Free. Fades out to backstage with Hendrix and some woman pretending she has connections to Dylan. Then back to I'm Frre) )
7. Satisfaction. (Fake fade from I'm Free. But utterly magnificent, guitar dominated. Lots of cutawys to Joplin/girls on chairs dancing . Totally different to Gimme Shelter footage Possibly faked throwing roses ending.)
8. Credits. Jagger interacting with Weir, Garcia, Kretzmann, Hart, Lesh, Scully trying to get a helicopter to Altamont. Too many people taking too many drugs. Charlie won't kiss a girl that Mick wants him to. Ian Stewart tries to bring a bit ofsanity. Amusing.)

I think (empahsie think) takes on CD/DVD are the same. On CDall complete. And the BB King/Ike & Tina stuff is great.)

There you go. Best I can do. Total DVD time: 28 minutes

Thanks for the review .Sounds amazing .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 31, 2009 12:00

with sssoul
>> Stop complainin' Boys <<

i'm a she-sssoul ... and i'm not complaining about the release, i'm complaining about the false advertising.
i'm thrilled that the sound is brilliant and that there are some segments we haven't heard/seen before,
but i don't like PR machines to mess with people by spreading false information about what to expect.
that's no way to get along

I get your pointwinking smiley

HMN

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 31, 2009 12:25

with sssoul
>> I'm looking forward to that interview with Jody Klein that's supposedly coming out in the next IORR magazine. <<

Dean Goodman's interview, you mean - the one that's excerpted here? [www.reuters.com]
that's where we read that there are different renditions of the five "previously unreleased numbers" on the DVD and CD ...
i hope Dean Goodman also asked for more details about what "previously unreleased" means tongue sticking out smiley [passing popcorn]
Yeah, that one. He said a longer version would come out in IORR, and that it would include some interesting information.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 31, 2009 12:33

SwayStones
HelterSkelter

Oui, but, to be accurate, I don't eat it very often.... in the USA, they inject the cattle with many hormones and antibiotics and God knows what else. I actually prefer a One Way AIR FRANCE ticket, LOS ANGELES to PARIS Non-Stop, Business Class (paid by Frequent Flier Points/Miles - would NEVER pay the insane Business Class prices with $$$) through the Delta Air program using the far superior AIR FRANCE fleet). Here's Helters drill. Get on the flight, find my nice comfy very private seat. Take a sleeping pill (takes 2 hours to hit me usually) Have a few glasses of wine (or whatever) from the nice flight attendants. Dinner comes, Helter eats as he watches a movie on his Laptop. Helter sleeps till he wakes up and is about 2 or 3 hours from CDG Airport. Has Breakfast, fills out form for customs...... Gets ready for PARIS !!! Plane lands at CDG, Helters Blood Pressure goes down 20 points !!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 31, 2009 15:31

Eleanor Rigby
thanks BobDylan.

The highlight was always going to be Satisfaction - further reason why this song should have been on the original Ya Ya's.
No offence, but the acoustic songs are pretty light-weight songs...would much rather have had SCB/SFTD/MR/LWM/HTW/SFM/JJF/GS instead...

They thought you would much rather have all the great super deluxe collectible cardboard packaging.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 31, 2009 20:06

Is "Under My Thumb/I'm Free" connected as it was performed in MSG on 11 27 69? Or have we the separation from Guitar Hero? Thanks for your answer in advance.

Date: November 1, 2009 11:58

HelterSkelter
SwayStones
HelterSkelter

Oui, but, to be accurate, I don't eat it very often.... in the USA, they inject the cattle with many hormones and antibiotics and God knows what else. I actually prefer a One Way AIR FRANCE ticket, LOS ANGELES to PARIS Non-Stop, Business Class (paid by Frequent Flier Points/Miles - would NEVER pay the insane Business Class prices with $$$) through the Delta Air program using the far superior AIR FRANCE fleet). Here's Helters drill. Get on the flight, find my nice comfy very private seat. Take a sleeping pill (takes 2 hours to hit me usually) Have a few glasses of wine (or whatever) from the nice flight attendants. Dinner comes, Helter eats as he watches a movie on his Laptop. Helter sleeps till he wakes up and is about 2 or 3 hours from CDG Airport. Has Breakfast, fills out form for customs...... Gets ready for PARIS !!! Plane lands at CDG, Helters Blood Pressure goes down 20 points !!

Are you sure that after some pills + a few glasses of wine ,Helter will be able to appreciate the steak ?

Date: November 1, 2009 12:02

The Rolling Stones really were the world's greatest rock and roll band in 1969. That was 40 years ago, but if you need proof to verify the ancient claim, check out the "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! The Rolling Stones In Concert--40th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set."

The Stones' live shows of the '70s, '80s, '90s and '00s were spectacles of frenzied energy, extravagant sets, video projections, and lots of flash, but "Ya Ya" was the real deal. The five Rolling Stones were the show, and that was more than enough. If you're going to only buy one live Stones CD, get "Ya Ya."

The original album was recorded over two nights at Madison Square Garden; I was there at one of those shows. I had a great time and bought the LP as soon as it came out. Still have it.

Keith Richards and Mick Taylor's yin vs. yang guitar styles meshed perfectly on "Midnight Rambler" and "Sympathy For The Devil." Mick Jagger and Richards paid tribute to the man who invented rock and roll, Chuck Berry, with a romping "Little Queenie." The new box set includes the original version on CD, plus a five-song EP from the same shows, with unplugged performances of "Prodigal Son" and "You Gotta Move." Sound quality is really good for a 1960s-era live recording, but I prefer the sound of the single disc "Ya Ya" SACD that came out in 2002, at least when it's played on a SACD player.

Disc Three features the shows opening acts, blues master B.B. King and Ike and Tina Turner. Me, I loved King's set; Turner's seems rushed, and the sound mix is spotty. Disc Four is a 29-minute DVD of the five tunes on (CD) Disc Two. I loved the shots of Richards and later Taylor backstage with Jimi Hendrix, and then there's Janis Joplin dancing off-stage, having a grand old time. Some of the DVD's material appears on "Gimme Shelter," a documentary film of the Rolling Stones' 1969 American tour (which is not part of this box set). The Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes sound surprisingly good.

You also get a hard-cover 56-page book with a few essays and a postcard replica of the original Rolling Stones 1969 tour poster. A limited number of box sets will also have an insert with a code to download "I'm Free (Live)" for "Guitar Hero."

Vinyl fans haven't been forgotten, The "Super Deluxe" edition of "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! The Rolling Stones in Concert" includes all of the content of the "Deluxe Edition" with vinyl LPs, one of which has etched images featuring the cover art and the Rolling Stones' signatures. Groovy!

If that's more Ya Ya than you need, stick with the 2002 hybrid CD/SACD
[news.cnet.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 1, 2009 14:36

SwayStones
Sound quality is really good for a 1960s-era live recording, but I prefer the sound of the single disc "Ya Ya" SACD that came out in 2002, at least when it's played on a SACD player.

That's not good. I'm still very tempted to get this thing, if only for Satisfaction, but does anybody know if there's a simple, low-priced, no-frills edition containing ONLY the 4 discs and NOT all of this other useless STUFF? I'd even be happy with a 2-disc version in a jewel case that falls apart the first time you open it, as long as it contains JUST the Rolling Stones 15 AUDIO tracks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-01 14:47 by tatters.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 1, 2009 14:53

bobdylan1258
The booklet is surprisingly good. Enjoy it when you buy it. Its out now.

thanks.

is it out now in the US?
seems like you're the only one on IORR that has a copy? Store bought? Amazon?
was yours an advanced copy?

so....for those of us that have the SACD Ya-Ya's and the Criterion Gimme Shelter.....is it necessary?
sorry but I was getting a little mixed up with what was new & improved sound & video and
and what was new (never before seen) footage...and stuff.

much appreciation.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: November 1, 2009 16:10

For what its worth..a couple of days ago I received an email from amazon stating the $ for the Super Deluxe (LP) version has dropped from $89.99 to $72.99......I like it better already...

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: November 1, 2009 17:51

SwayStones
The Rolling Stones really were the world's greatest rock and roll band

"Were"?

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: November 1, 2009 18:35

The version of "Satisfaction"on the DVD sounds different from what I've heard from the "Guitar Hero" track. In fact, it sounds like the version heard in the "Gimme Shelter" film. and the video on the Ya-Ya's DVD appears to be alternate camera angles of the "Gimme Shelter" Satisfaction with lots of audience shots and cut-aways...

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 1, 2009 19:30

His Majesty
Think I'll save my money for the In the Court of the Crimson King 6 disc box set. grinning smiley

[www.king-crimson.com]
Should be great. I'll have to check out one of the reissues. Do you and your 3PU Les Paul Custom play much Krimson/Fripp HM?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 1, 2009 22:22

I'm tempted to download this off of Pirate Bay as soon as it becomes available.
But then again, I would actually like to support any decent archive release so the Stones' record companies are told they're worth releasing. (Apart from that, I don't have much faith left in the record companies or their so called anti-pirate agencies, to put it mildly.)

I'd also love to get the booklet, so I'd buy it, but hey, 15 + 30 minutes worth of new Stones material IS a little scarce...

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: November 1, 2009 22:38

I think it´s great to finally get some "new" music from the golden years of 1968-1972!

And if this sells well enough, the better are the chances of getting more in the future!!

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 1, 2009 22:47

SwayStones
Sound quality is really good for a 1960s-era live recording, but I prefer the sound of the single disc "Ya Ya" SACD that came out in 2002, at least when it's played on a SACD player. l

I'm comfortable with that. The SACD layer was a delicious 96khz 24Bit, right? My take on the SACD albums was that they sounded a bit warmer, and had a bit more depth to them.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: November 2, 2009 01:53

The Gimme Shelter movie Satisfaction audio is actually a splice of 2 shows, so maybe this is one full take and guitar hero satisfaction is the other.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: November 2, 2009 04:35

Amazon just emailed me to say that my copy will arrive at my home in SF no later than thursday.....peter

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 2, 2009 05:13

It's out in the stores on Tuesday. I'll be getting mine then. Ya Yas is my favorite Stones album and the '69 tour ranks as perhaps their very best. They hadn't toured for a few years and they had a major change in their line up and so they had something to prove. And I think more often than not they did during that tour. With this tour, the Rolling Stones defined the sound by which most would associate them with for the coming decade and beyond.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: November 2, 2009 06:41

After 40 years of this record, it will be interesting to put together a playlist that includes the five additional songs in a different running order. This now truly brings home the fact that Brian is gone and the band has been reinvented:

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Carol
3. Sympathy for the Devil
4. Stray Cat Blues
5. Love In Vain
6. Prodigal Son
7. You Gotta Move
8. Under My Thumb
9. I'm Free
10. Midnight Rambler
11. Live With Me
12. Little Queenie
13. Satisfaction
14. Honky Tonk Women
15. Street Fighting Man

Posted by: bobdylan1258 ()
Date: November 2, 2009 09:04

Re Sweet Neo Con

thanks.

is it out now in the US?
seems like you're the only one on IORR that has a copy? Store bought? Amazon?
was yours an advanced copy?

so....for those of us that have the SACD Ya-Ya's and the Criterion Gimme Shelter.....is it necessary?
sorry but I was getting a little mixed up with what was new & improved sound & video and
and what was new (never before seen) footage...and stuff.

much appreciation.

Yes it is necessary. As I have said, I thought it would flatter to deceive but there is "added value" content in my opinion. A lot of effort seems to have been put in. Its a very attractive (and relatively well priced "product. Bettervalue than all those 2009 "remasters"!) In conjunction with the Let It Bleed book which arrived from Amazon on Saturday its made for a fun Stones weekend. In response to another question: Under My Thumb/I'm Free is a seamless medley although you can listen to them separately. I dont know any answers re. the Guitar Hero stuff.

Badlands has US copies of Ya Yas (both versions) ready to ship on the US release date (Nov 2) Release date of the UK/European version(s) in the UK is Nov 30. Release of the Super Deluxe version in Europe is unconfirmed.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 2, 2009 09:55

>> Badlands has US copies of Ya Yas (both versions) ready to ship on the US release date <<

actually it says it'll ship on the UK release date, which it has as november 30th:
[www.badlands.co.uk][US%20Import]%20(NEW%203CD%2bDVD)

bobdylan1258, is the DVD region-encoded, please and thank you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-02 10:16 by with sssoul.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 2, 2009 13:26

Anyone beside me, received an e-mail from Amazon UK stating that they will not have it for sale (Super Deluxe Version)?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 2, 2009 14:08

>> Anyone beside me, received an e-mail from Amazon UK stating that they will not have it for sale (Super Deluxe Version)? <<

yeah, there was another thread about that.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 2, 2009 14:26

ok, thanks!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 2, 2009 16:21

ChrisM
Do you and your 3PU Les Paul Custom play much Krimson/Fripp HM?

We do! thumbs up

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 2, 2009 18:19

release date in germany is nov.27th . Deluxe ed. ca. 40 Euro, super deluxe 100 Euro-

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: November 2, 2009 18:24

Havo
release date in germany is nov.27th . Deluxe ed. ca. 40 Euro, super deluxe 100 Euro-
Same as in Belgium.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2011
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home