Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: Moment of Truth - What's your opinion on the YA-YA'S DVD in the box set, out today
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 4, 2009 18:54

HelterSkelter
Just finished watching it and I must say I was impressed. Now the thing is is you must approach it like a short film, GIMME SHELTER REDUX or something (The film is called "GET YER YA YA-S OUT" which is confusing because I would expect an entire concert on film with that title) because it's not really about the music exactly - well, it is but there's more. With that said the last music bit, SATISFACTION, kicks major ass because it's another version from another MSG show with Jagger just TOTALLY getting into the groove towards the end. It's as good as the GIMME SHELTER version but a different performance. I'm sure I'll watch it 100 times...

My Girl Friend who's seen the Stones live many times (from 89 to 99 - she's a bit younger) was amazed at how Natural Jagger seems to be (and that's the beauty of the 69 tour, Jagger was just being himself, from 1972 on Jagger was beginning this thing of "Doing" Jagger, never as free as 1969. The moves were more and more self conscious from tour to tour (excluding maybe 1975/76 were he did go back to a looser style - different than 69 but not as "Mick Jagger" as 1972 or anything from 81 on.

I must say that the very last bit in the film where the Stones are waiting for the Helicopter (along with Jerry Garcia and some others) to take them to ALTAMONT is effing funny AND bizarre. Never seen anything like it - I loved it, most interesting non-musical part of the film for me. BTW, PRODIGAL SON is the same version as the CRITERION COLLECTION GIMME SHELTER extras but with better sound and camera angle - Keith still stops too early. Cameo appearances by JIMI HENDRIX and JANIS JOPLIN are very short but nice to see. Still would love to have the whole MSG AND Altamont show on DVD - for that I would pay Beaucoup bucks, believe me !!! 1969 Tour ROCKS !!!

So, what's your take on it? (for those who have seen it only of course)

What's going on with the " Helter 's moment of Truth " ??

I am completely loosed ...so many threads on GYYYO ....Helter's thoughts on the DVD was IMO a very interesting one ....
BTW ,Helter, STOP WRITING IN /WITH BIG LETTERS....I am getting tired...

And what about the DVD ?? Are we ,Europeans ,allow to watch it ???

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: Ya Ya's reissue
Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: November 4, 2009 23:18

Hi
Please allow me to introduce myself....
just viewed 40th anniv dvd last nite and of course I was present at the show both nites in 11-69..my recollection of the show was very clear, stage bathed in red for the band to come out, it had been 3 yrs since the Stones played NYC, the previous shows that I attended were at Academy of Music on 14th St, in 65 which consisted of alot of screaming and shouting ( I was in last row balcony), and old Forest Hills tennis stadium in 66,an out door gig with useless sound system, fans charged the stage and the Stones left early and choppered out.. other than the Sullivan shows of which I attended 2....The MSG gig was ASTOUNDING due to the fact that you could actually hear them and the music, the venue was the center of the musical universe then as it is now, but that was their first gig there...the excitement was incredible, as I recall the gig was at best about 1hr 15 min, but was worth the 3 year wait...until..
MSG in 72, was there also my friends...enjoy the dvd, I relive the moment everytime I view it
RockinBud

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 4, 2009 23:48

Nice resume' RockinBud ...........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: November 5, 2009 01:01

thanks Rockman
its about this time 11-5 or 6 1965 saw TRS or first time in New Haven, BJ wearing plaid trou w tneck and firebird hangin on his shoulder, I was meserized...still am
www.myspace.com/rockinbuds
anyone can be a Rockin Bud
Its only Rock nRoll

Posted by: johang ()
Date: November 5, 2009 02:05

Just bougth the box for 1 reason to see the DVD, now you have to ask who edits and produces this wonderful Stones performance into really 80% garbage. A full 5 min + of photage is of ugly audience (except for Janis etc). Where there is stage photage its 95% Jagger and half of that is back of his head. Im Free is mixed into nothing, still one wonders is this done by incompentent people or is there lack of film and corresonding sound? Who knows? All epic songs MR, SFTD, LIV and SCB does that exsist on film? Stones can do much better for their fans.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: November 5, 2009 05:05

I agree the packaging is great. The sound and video quality is better. Why didnt they give us the whole concert on DVD?
They could have at least mixed the new stuff into the old and given us the entire concert instead of a different disc.
Overall.............the music is a 10 but the reissue is a 2 or 3. If they had given me the entire concert on DVD without the slow motion bullcrap it'd be a 10.

Posted by: surfingelectrode ()
Date: November 5, 2009 05:26

johang
Just bougth the box for 1 reason to see the DVD, now you have to ask who edits and produces this wonderful Stones performance into really 80% garbage. A full 5 min + of photage is of ugly audience (except for Janis etc). Where there is stage photage its 95% Jagger and half of that is back of his head. Im Free is mixed into nothing, still one wonders is this done by incompentent people or is there lack of film and corresonding sound? Who knows? All epic songs MR, SFTD, LIV and SCB does that exsist on film? Stones can do much better for their fans.

Albert Maysles probably wasn't allowed to edit all of the concert footage together because of copyright reasons... I'm doubting that Abkco owns the copyright to the Gimme Shelter movie.

Still, I'm really pleased with this.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 5, 2009 08:37

>> Stones can do much better for their fans. <<

this is an ABKCO release, not a Stones release.

>> Albert Maysles probably wasn't allowed to edit all of the concert footage together because of copyright reasons. <<

... well but who other than Maysles would own the copyright to footage that wasn't used in the film??
that's what people want, not a rerun of the film footage.

>> All epic songs MR, SFTD, LIV and SCB does that exsist on film? <<

maybe not. maybe they just didn't get the footage everyone is dreaming of, and/or maybe it's unusably bad quality,
like whatever happened to Love in Vain that forced them to use that slo-mo montage in the film.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 5, 2009 13:57

what is the price for the package that just has the cds and the dvd?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 5, 2009 13:59

It's about £37 from amazon UK.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 5, 2009 14:01

melillo
what is the price for the package that just has the cds and the dvd?

US$42 from Amazon.com. Cost me AUD$71 delivered (soon hopefully) to Australia.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: November 5, 2009 14:58

€ 44 at BOL.COM (NL)

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: November 5, 2009 16:18

johang

In 100% agreement.....

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 5, 2009 16:37

I just got it yesterday too and i loved it at first...But after playing it a few times i felt that they could have hit a home run if they included the entire concert..
The remastered CD is just the same as the one they remastered before...I really was hoping that it was truely a new
Remaster ..

I'm free also brings down Under my thumb..But all in all i liked it....Its worth the $40.00 us dollars i spent.
Some day i hope to see the entire concert. Now that be worth the time we have all been waiting for...ha.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: November 5, 2009 18:18

Can anyone confirm if Satisfaction on the bonus CD is different to the Gimme Shelter film version? If it is, then presumably it's the same as the one on the DVD (HelterSkelter says this is different to the GS film).

I'm based in the UK and haven't bought this set yet but intend to...though not sure whether to get the UK/Europe or US version. I'd like to know if the DVD in UK/Europe release will be at a slightly different spped/pitch to the US release as hinted at above. I would also find it annoying if the tunes on the DVD were at a slightly different pitch to the CD.

Anyway, for non-US people who'd like a sneak preview - there are sound clips of all the CD1, CD2 & CD3 tracks on amazon.com. I haven't listened to them yet as I'm at work, but will do later...

Cheers,
WLY

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 5, 2009 19:06

Yes it is different. On the Gimme Shelter version you can see Keith is playing the Dan Armstrong and on the new DVD you can see him playing the ES-355. I never realized that Keith used different guitars for the same song during the '69 tour but know that I see it I'm wondering why I didn't hear it before now. Great players can make any guitar sound pretty much the same but the tonal differences between the ES-355 and Dan Armstrong are apparent given a close listen. Keith has to often fight the feedback from the ES-355 for a start!

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: November 5, 2009 19:31

Thanks, so it's different. This is cool, but somehow I was hoping for a better recording of the GS version (although if there was a better recording in existence then it might well have been used to improve the soundtrack of the GS film when it was released on DVD a few years ago). A new version is great then... and if the bonus CD is as clear-sounding as the GYYYO recording then that's great too. Can't wait to hear it then...

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: November 5, 2009 19:50

ChrisM
Yes it is different. On the Gimme Shelter version you can see Keith is playing the Dan Armstrong and on the new DVD you can see him playing the ES-355. I never realized that Keith used different guitars for the same song during the '69 tour but know that I see it I'm wondering why I didn't hear it before now. Great players can make any guitar sound pretty much the same but the tonal differences between the ES-355 and Dan Armstrong are apparent given a close listen. Keith has to often fight the feedback from the ES-355 for a start!

If the Ya-Ya's DVD is different from the Gimme Shelter film version, and the EP CD version is different from the accompanying DVD, doesn't that mean we now have all 3 versions of "Satisfaction" performed at MSG in 69?

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: November 5, 2009 19:51

Received mine yesterday and ditto all the above.

I am listening to Satisfaction cranked right now. Specifically, I am listening to Mick Taylor spill out his solos like a damn volcano. Dig Dang! Anybody ever notice that this boy can play his guitar? (:

Date: November 5, 2009 19:59

thkbeercan
If the Ya-Ya's DVD is different from the Gimme Shelter film version, and the EP CD version is different from the accompanying DVD, doesn't that mean we now have all 3 versions of "Satisfaction" performed at MSG in 69?
The version of Satisfaction is the same on the DVD and EP CD. Smokin' version!

Date: November 5, 2009 20:00

cbtaco19
Received mine yesterday and ditto all the above.

I am listening to Satisfaction cranked right now. Specifically, I am listening to Mick Taylor spill out his solos like a damn volcano. Dig Dang! Anybody ever notice that this boy can play his guitar? (:
Hmmmm, you know, now that you mention it. he can play rather well. I never noticed before so thanks for mentioning it!

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: November 5, 2009 21:06

I agree with you guys. I watched the DVD last night and man... what a fantastic version of SATISFACTION!

Posted by: Bitch2 ()
Date: November 5, 2009 21:24

The 5 songs on dvd is ABKCO music, but so is Carol and all the others? Why can't the different owners cooperate?, specially since Stones must have allowed the photage of them? I think it is just simply pure lazyness on Stones part not to make this release more interesting? With all releases still completely missing is MR, SFTD, HW, SCB, I believe the photage at end (flower throwing) is SFM?, the sound excists, we know that, maybe some fan will put out a more interesting bootleg with everything that is there?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 6, 2009 01:02

johang

uh oh i dont like the sound of that, might have to rethink my purchase options

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 6, 2009 02:02

I ordered the Ya Ya's Deluxe Edition and a couple of other items this morning from Amazon.

Got an E-mail this evening saying everything had shipped except Ya Ya's. E-mail said it was unavailable but would ship whenever it became available.

So if your looking to get a copy fast, Amazon may not be your best place to purchase right now.

Date: November 6, 2009 05:24

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-07 21:15 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 6, 2009 08:43

OK - we still get conflicting reports of what show "Satisfaction" comes from.
The version in the Gimme Shelter movie is a pieced-together version of 2 shows (28/11 1st & 2nd shows)

QUESTION:

What show is the version of Satisfaction on the new Ya Ya's CD from?

What show is the version of Satisfaction on the new Ya Ya's DVD from?

from the snippet i have seen (posted on IORR a few days ago), it sounds like the 28/11 2st show (Gimme Shelter version)...
The CD version - I assume is the one heard on the Guitar Hero version - is the 28th 1st show...

confirmation please?
(I could wait a week to work it out myself)

Date: November 6, 2009 08:50

I'm getting edgy waiting for my Ya-Ya's package. It's been four days into an expedited average delivery period of 8-16 days. Strangely Amazon give me an estimated delivery date of December 1. Now sure how they come up with that. I'll be pissed if I have to wait that long.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: November 6, 2009 09:22

The version of Satisfaction on the bonus cd is from Nov. 28th, first show, according to the credits.

Date: November 6, 2009 09:26

You know, I'm such a dullard, it took me 7 years to figure out what Jags was on about with "welcome to the breakfast show".

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home