Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 18 of 21
Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (By request: ''Black Strap Jacket'' [Gentle Remaster] now available)
Posted by: dph ()
Date: March 6, 2012 03:12

On the Back Strap Jacket remaster, I suggest you back off on the noise reduction. It sounds very unnatural when there is complete silence during brief pauses. Sometimes hiss cannot be avoided.

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (1970.10.07 Essen [DSP Remaster]) now available)
Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: March 6, 2012 04:16

dph
...I suggest you back off on the noise reduction. It sounds very unnatural when there is complete silence during brief pauses. Sometimes hiss cannot be avoided.

I agree. That was the first time I used that program to do a restoration project & I won't be using it again. I didn't realize the noise redux was so aggressive, should've just used a smoother to dull the high's. I hardly ever use noise reduction...which is why a lot of the mixes I post are too bright sounding

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (1970.10.07 Essen [DSP Remaster]) now available)
Date: March 6, 2012 04:17

The following show was added to the index on page 1:

1970.10.07 Essen [DSP remaster]
source: Ice Cream In The Foyer [C2C]

Gigasize

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-06 07:41 by Laughingsam.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: March 7, 2012 00:41

Laughingsam
dph
...I suggest you back off on the noise reduction. It sounds very unnatural when there is complete silence during brief pauses. Sometimes hiss cannot be avoided.

I agree. That was the first time I used that program to do a restoration project & I won't be using it again. I didn't realize the noise redux was so aggressive, should've just used a smoother to dull the high's. I hardly ever use noise reduction...which is why a lot of the mixes I post are too bright sounding

I am glad you took my criticism constructively. Some people are very sensitive and defensive.

Anyway, for low quality material without a lot of highs, just roll off the treble. I use an FFT filter and try different frequency cutoffs. Spectral view is helpful if you have that option.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: March 7, 2012 01:52

muchas gracias LAUGHINGSAM

Date: March 7, 2012 03:49

dph
or low quality material without a lot of highs, just roll off the treble. I use an FFT filter and try different frequency cutoffs

Right, I use dynamic lowpass on the higher frequencies too. Ozone 5 has a nice resonant low & highpass that can be used in digital, analog, or hybrid mode. The latest Perth remaster was not a success because I tried to do too many things differently all at once -- new program (PreSonus), different approach (gentle), and so on. I strike out with some of these mixes and I certainly don't mind hearing about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-07 03:50 by Laughingsam.

Posted by: CaptainAcid ()
Date: March 7, 2012 11:04

Hi LS,
just to say something about noise reduction. It`s a nasty and awful thing. My experience is that recording almost never benefit from the use of NR. I just hate when i hear that it was used on a track. After almost 12 years of mastering there are 2 things i try to avoid like a plague : compression & noise reduction.
If you have an issue with a lot of hiss, analyze at what frequencie is the hiss and cut it down with EQ, that is the best way to deal with it.

Is this Essen your new remaster ? Can you please state when posting if it`s a new remaster or just re-upload.
Cheers
Captain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-07 21:02 by CaptainAcid.

Date: March 7, 2012 21:12

CaptainAcid
Is this Essen your new remaster ?

Sorry for the confusion. It's new. There was no previous Essen on page 1 of this thread.

As far as noise reduction...I hate it too. It makes everything sound like it's being filtered through a lump of tinfoil or something -- it sounds like satellite radio, which I would NEVER pay for. I'd rather leave hiss on a recording than try to remove it, but you're right adjusting the EQ is the way to go for minimizing it.

That Perth remaster was done in PreSonus and the program ran the noise reduction without me noticing it (I would've turned it off). It was part of a bundled preset of effects I selected and it wasn't turned on when I was previewing/adjusting the sound.

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (1970.10.07 Essen [DSP] artwork now available)
Date: March 8, 2012 21:35

Get Essen artwork here --> Gigasize

The covers weren't in the original archive

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (1981.12.13 Tempe, AZ [DSP Mix] now available)
Date: March 15, 2012 23:02

Paul Kersey
is there any chance you could do something with the Phoenix 81 (13/12/81) gig?

Well I did *something* not to say it's a vast improvement. The majority the source tracks were a mess.

1981.12.13 Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ [2012 DSP Mix]
source: Rattlesnake 041-044 + VGP 290 (for last track)

download here ---> HOTFILE

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-16 00:30 by Laughingsam.

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (1981.12.13 Tempe, AZ [DSP Mix] now available)
Date: March 15, 2012 23:07

Notes (for those interested):

1981.12.13 Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ [2012 DSP Mix]
source: Rattlesnake 041-042, except track 27 from VGP-290

ABOUT THE SOURCE:

The sound on the source was inconsistent. It was very good from the tracks 1-5 and 9-12, but the sound on some of the other tracks was distorted in places and in some spots completely destroyed. Listen to Ronnie's slide on "Black Limousine" or the entire left channel during "Just My Imagination" for examples. The whole Rattlesnake bootleg was too hot sounding, like it had been EQ'd in a v-shape and then amplified before being normalized back down to a lower level (VGP & Godfather versions were even worse). Jumping Jack Flash was completely overloaded on all 3 of the audio sources and very little could be done to correct it.

EDITS & ALTERATIONS:

Tracks 1-5 and 9-12 were taken through iZotope Ozone 5 Advanced with mid-side multiband dynamics applied and a matching EQ setting. A matching EQ is a digital linear phase EQ that uses over 8,000 bands of frequencies to "match" or automatically equalize a mix based on the frequency response of another recording. In this instance the live 1981 tracks from the 2011 singles
boxset were used to develop a snapshot (source EQ), which was then matched to a snapshot of each of the Rattlesnake tracks individually. I added some multiband dynamics both before the
EQ to reign in some of the shrill nasal-sounds on the source and after the EQ to add some depth because the EQ cut some bands significantly. I also adjusted the stereo image using 4
different bands to focus the bass frequencies, open up the middle and narrow the higher frequencies.

As for tracks 6-8 and 13-25...in order to save them it was necessary to destroy them first.

They had 2 EQ processes applied to furnish a pre-mix: (1) to remove sibilants and (2) to increase the middle frequecies, which had been suppressed by the folks at Rattlesnake. Some gating was
used in the multiband process to control the bass, which was overloaded on the source. This rendered a "premix". The premix was then matched with the official 1981 tracks mentioned above.
The tracks also had the stereo image adjusted and some multiband dynamics applied.

Track 26 (JJF) was EQ'd and the bass was narrowed a bit, but it still sounds like overloaded shit (as mentioned above).

Track 27 (Satisfaction) was lifted off VGP-290. It was pitch corrected because it ran ridiculously fast and had a matching EQ applied.

Wavelab 7 was used to host Ozone 5 and apply final edits.

AFTER ACTION REVIEW:

This remix is not as bright as the source, which to my ears is a good thing. It's also balanced differently, with the bass focused but not overpowering and the higher frequencies narrowed --i.e. "reigned in"-- using Ozone 5's multiband stereo module. There's a limit to what can be done with sources like this, but we have in this mix more seperation of sound than the source and the guitars sound less shrill. I still get the impression that something's not right when playing it back, but less so than when I listen to the source.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-15 23:11 by Laughingsam.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: March 16, 2012 02:40

muchas gracias

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 16, 2012 02:59

Thanks LS, much appreciated again, Eddie.........cool smiley

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (1981.12.13 Tempe, AZ [Punchy DSP Mix] added)
Date: March 16, 2012 04:10

Just added to the index:

1981.12.13 Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ [Punchy DSP Mix]
source: source: Rattlesnake 041-044 + VGP 290 (for last track)

This is a modified version of the DSP mix I posted earlier. It's that mix taken 1 step further -- filtered through a 12Ax7 Tube with the bass pumped up -- hence the name "punchy". It also has the limiter engaged to bring the loudness up.

I held off on this step with the earlier mix because it almost ends up sounding like the source (prevalent bass), but I think it still sounds better than the source and I prefer this punchy mix to the earlier version.

download here --> HOTFILE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-16 04:11 by Laughingsam.

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (1981.12.13 Tempe, AZ [Punchy DSP Mix] added)
Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: March 16, 2012 22:22

Thanks for doing this remaster Joe. Really appreciate your time! I'm with you in thinking the 'punchy' mix is the best mix. The source was always lacking any real bass. I'd have prefered they released this show instead of Hampton for the archive series.

Posted by: Greg44 ()
Date: March 16, 2012 22:42

Thanks for the second version of Tempe.
I'm glad that you didn't abandone "punchy" direction. VERY glad!
[2012 DSP Mix} - the first version can be easily delated now.
I compared Punchy DSP Mix with my original Godfather release, they are very alike. Yours is more "dimensional", GF more towards "metalic" type of sound.
To MY ears.
But the differences are not knockingdown.

Joe, once you offered me something which I could not taste since "download error".
Could you PLEASE be so kind and repost it on hotfile or www.wetransfer.com

I'd be MUCH oblidged
Greg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-18 01:16 by Greg44.

Date: March 17, 2012 02:26

Thanks for weighing in on this mix guys. The source was definitely flawed, which is why several earlier attempts at this show were abandoned.

Greg44, I'm glad to hear you like the "punchy" sound. I just sent you an email with a link to the previously discussed show. It's punchy smiling smiley and Mick Taylor is more dominant than on the source (where he was de-emphasized for some reason)

If anyone else knows of what we speak (Paul?), I can send you the link too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-17 02:27 by Laughingsam.

Date: March 17, 2012 03:43

Just added to index:

2006.04.02 Super Arena, Saitama, Japan [DSP Mix]

Download here--> HOTFILE

This is "Ladies & Gentleman, the Rolling Stones!" from the Tom & Jerry label. I listened to it recently and was immensly perturbed to learn that the tracks were all crossfaded! I tried downloading a different version -- looked for Dog & cat version -- but no one seeds the audio versions of this show anymore (presumably because they have the DVD). So I spliced in the DVD intros to correct the beginnings of these tracks and ran them through Ozone 5 Advanced because the original sound -- though excellent -- had a bit too much bass and not enough high end clarity.

I post it in case there's someone seeking an audio version of this show...

Also -- I'll post a request, but does anyone have the Mickboy version of Wiltern Theatre 2002-11-04? I found a 192kbs version of it on my HD and would love to do a remaster of that show. Here's a sample of what I want to do with it...this is a remix of a 192kbs file:

Hand_Of_Fate_dsp_remix

Hand_Of_Fate_mickboy_source_mp3

Thanks in advance if anyone of you can help!

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (2006.04.02 Saitama (edited) [DSP Mix] added)
Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:52

downloading 1981.12.13 Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe,

so this is the mick taylor guest show ??

not the dec 14,? (dac 005) & (vgp 129)

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (2006.04.02 Saitama (edited) [DSP Mix] added)
Date: March 17, 2012 10:14

vancouver
downloading 1981.12.13 Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe,

so this is the mick taylor guest show ??

not the dec 14,? (dac 005) & (vgp 129)

No, that's a different show, from the night after at Kemper Arena in Kansas City 1981-12-14.

I wish we could have a remaster of that show where MT is actually in the mix. Every boot I've heard has him almost inaudible and buried.

The comment I made to Greg44 was about Brussels, which he's asked me about months ago.

Date: March 17, 2012 10:23

ok thanks

i did a matrix of the intro dec 14 81.

mix with stereo audience & soundboard mono

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: March 17, 2012 14:33

Laughingsam
Thanks for weighing in on this mix guys. The source was definitely flawed, which is why several earlier attempts at this show were abandoned.

Greg44, I'm glad to hear you like the "punchy" sound. I just sent you an email with a link to the previously discussed show. It's punchy smiling smiley and Mick Taylor is more dominant than on the source (where he was de-emphasized for some reason)

If anyone else knows of what we speak (Paul?), I can send you the link too.

Thanks for the link Joe!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-18 10:04 by Paul Kersey.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: March 17, 2012 17:03

I'd like to get the link too. Thanks Joe!
drinking smiley

Edit: very kind of your part Joe, thanks again!
thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-17 23:32 by Quique-stone.

Date: March 17, 2012 21:24

Sent, if you want to remove your email addresses now.

Date: March 17, 2012 21:27

vancouver
i did a matrix of the intro dec 14 81.

What do you mean by "intro"? Did you matrix any of the songs and would you be willing to share them?

Date: March 18, 2012 00:34

[www.sendspace.com]

Band Introductions-Little T & AKansas City, MO 121481, wMick Taylor.flac

soundboard mono,mix with audience stereo,

Date: March 18, 2012 00:40

Thanks!

Posted by: Greg44 ()
Date: March 18, 2012 01:12

MANY, Many thanks Joe.hot smiley
I delated the original keeping your remaster. Though on price of more harsh guitar sound, yet you achieved more clear sound and what is THE MOST important to me - Mick's voice is on the front and not muffled. It doesn't cease to amaze me why the Stones mixed it in that lackluster manner.

Another disappointment was their aniversary Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out: very good mix of 5 unreleased songs which first of all, doesn't match the mix of the original release but above all, these 5 are left apart from rest of the concert. Really barbarian approach!!! Joe, this is a new "battle field" for you :-)
None remaster which I've heard from this concert equals these 5 bonuses sound-wise.

Eh... but the list of ideas & requests for you is endless.
Best,
Greg

Date: March 18, 2012 02:19

TBA release was over-compressed. There's a tipping point with applying compression where it begins to blunt the sound. I think they when a bit too far with it. Charlie's drumming suffers the most, but the guitars could've sounded more cutting too.

I agree on Ya Ya's. I edited the 5 bonus tracks into the concert and noticed right away that the quality shift when they came on.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 18, 2012 11:01

Sam,you should remaster San Diego-1994!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 18 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home