Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 17 of 21
Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (Essential rarities track 24 'Hang Fire' redo now available)
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: February 3, 2012 20:41

Hi Laughingsam !

First of all thanks for your works, a true labor of love and very well done.thumbs upthumbs up
Any chance to see one day confused smiley, I know it's (how can I say , semi-official),
a mix of the infamous and very rare "Big Enough" acetate.
There's 2 remix on it that worth to be remixed.
Got the versions obviously but both got some pops that are tuff to remove ...
Best and keep on rockin' !!!

HMN

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (Essential rarities track 24 'Hang Fire' redo now available)
Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: February 4, 2012 02:31

Greg44
did my mails fall into your spam?

Hey Greg, I re: last month with links to the mix we discussed. Hopefully you got it. I'll resend it either way.

Date: February 4, 2012 02:35

Honestman
Any chance to see one day confused smiley, I know it's (how can I say , semi-official),

I don't have that one. I'm working on a personal project right now, but I'll check it out afterwards. If pops and clicks are the main problem, there's not a whole lot I can do beyond running some automated declicker. Unless it's the holy grail of bootlegs, I don't have the time or will to manually remove 100s or 1,000s of little clicks.

Posted by: Greg44 ()
Date: February 4, 2012 11:42

Hi Joe,

Regretfully nothing new came and the first needs to be fixed.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: February 4, 2012 12:20

Laughingsam
Honestman

I don't have that one. I'm working on a personal project right now, but I'll check it out afterwards. If pops and clicks are the main problem, there's not a whole lot I can do beyond running some automated declicker. Unless it's the holy grail of bootlegs, I don't have the time or will to manually remove 100s or 1,000s of little clicks.

Agreed for the time to spend, it should worth, so I should explain me better.
The first mix of Big Enough got some painful pops during the intro only
The second one got a nasty pop soon after the start
so it's not obviously the whole songs to check and redo, but you're right not a big deal project, just my request, thanks anyway.winking smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-04 12:22 by Honestman.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: February 5, 2012 12:37

Laughingsam
I was recently compiling an outtakes collection for myself and I noticed that the previous version of "Hang Fire (take 1)" on the "Essential Rarities" collection I posted last year could benefit from a redo.

For those of you who wish to update your original download (if you deemed it worthy of keeping that is smiling smiley you can snag the new mix here:

Gigasize

It's less saturated and has more of a thick fuzzy sound.

Thanks Joe! Sounds better.

Date: February 25, 2012 07:34

I'm going to post some new stuff on here and eventually get some of the old posts up again before I cleanup the index on page 1. Here's a new mix of 1999.06.11 Wembley Stadium:

1999.06.11 Wembley Stdium, London [DSP Mix]

The source was from this post:
IORR.ORG

I offer it back in the same format it was originally presented -- mp3@320

Some minor adjustments were made to the mix. I tweaked the stereo image a little, EQ'd it, and tried out a new harmonic exciter. I've noticed some talk on IORR recently about "limiters" and "compressors" being evil and ruining the dynamics of recordings. While I agree that both processes curtail the dynamic range of the original sound, when used correctly they can offer a full dynamic range of a new mix, which is what most of these DSP Mix's are. I'm not too concerned with expanding or compressing some of these original recordings because that's not the extent of what I do to them, but more so because this is Rock n Roll we're listening to, not a symphony orchestra. Most times it's supposed to sound upfront & in-your-ear.

At any rate, hope you like this mix.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 07:53 by Laughingsam.

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (1999.06.11 Wembley Stadium [DSP Mix] now available)
Date: February 25, 2012 14:09

Very good!
Hearing it I wonder why I kept the original version.
Now Wembley 1982 June 25 is badly in need your Master Hand.
Greg

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (1975.07.28 Cobo Hall, Detroit, MI [DSP Mix] now available)
Date: March 1, 2012 09:08

The following show was added to the index on page 1:

1975.07.28 Cobo Hall, Detroit, MI [DSP Mix]

download here --> gigasize

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 00:34 by Laughingsam.

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (1975.07.28 Cobo Hall, Detroit, MI [DSP Mix] now available)
Posted by: mariano ()
Date: March 1, 2012 18:12

thanxz

Date: March 1, 2012 18:37

Thanks for Detroit 75 Joe! Would you be able to look at re-remastering Back Strap Jacket? If I recall your remaster had an echo effect to it (reverb?). What source did you use to remaster Detroit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 21:49 by Paul Kersey.

Date: March 2, 2012 00:47

Hey Paul. I used a non-label source. Here's a thumbnail of the cover -- -- The sound is identical to the files on Rattlesnake's "Missing Jewels".

I can surely do "Black Strap Jacket" again. I regret using that reverb module in some of my initial posts. Some of those projects sounded decent but for the unnatural echo. I know what I was trying to do -- thicken a dry mix -- but I definitely went about it wrong...should've used a delay with a subtle modulation depth & rate instead of full-on reverb.

Date: March 2, 2012 05:50

Hi Laughingsam

notes from 1975.07.28 Cobo Hall, Detroit, MI [DSP Mix] is empty

thanz for your great's dsp

Date: March 2, 2012 06:34

mariano
notes from 1975.07.28 Cobo Hall, Detroit, MI [DSP Mix] is empty

Yeah there are none. I didn't explain the process with this mix although I should've listed the source used (as Paul already pointed out). I used a new program: Presonus Studio One Pro as the bus to apply all the effects, but other than that it seems tedious to write out every change I apply to the original mix...who really reads it anyway? Our ears are the final judge.

Date: March 2, 2012 07:13

Ok...

I always reads it....

Thanx very much

Date: March 2, 2012 07:44

mariano
Ok...

I always reads it....

Now I feel bad. I have some new equipment being delivered in the next week. Once I start pipelining this new hardware into my mixes, I'll include notes so that I can keep track of what works well with the software suites I use and hopefully get some better quality mixes up here on IORR.ORG.

God Bless,

Laughingsam

PS - Mariano, are you retiring after this season or what? (baseball joke)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 07:47 by Laughingsam.

Date: March 2, 2012 07:49

ok

jajajajajaja

--m.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: March 2, 2012 15:34

Thanks (a lot) for Detroit!!

Cheers

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (By request: ''Black Strap Jacket'' [Gentle Remaster] now available)
Date: March 3, 2012 05:15

Paul Kersey
Would you be able to look at re-remastering Back Strap Jacket? If I recall your remaster had an echo effect to it (reverb?).

1973.02.24 Western Australia Cricket Ground, Perth, AUS [Gentle Remaster]
source: "Black Strap Jacket" (Tarantura) (TCDRS-3-1,2)

01 Brown Sugar (03:30)
02 Bitch (04:40)
03 Rocks Off (03:49)
04 Gimme Shelter (05:34)
05 Happy (03:22)
06 Tumblin Dice (04:40)
07 Love In Vain (05:43)
08 Sweet Virginia (04:49)
09 You Can't Always Get What You Want (06:53)
10 Honky Tonk Woman (03:12)
11 All Down The Line (04:18)
12 Midnight Rambler (09:40)
13 Band Intro / Happy Birthday Nicky (01:17)
14 Little Queenie (03:23)
15 Rip This Joint (02:39)

--- This is not the complete show, but the SBD portion only. #16 JJF & #17 SFM were left off the source.

This show was recently requested by Paul Kersey, who correctly pointed out that the original DSP mix posted last year had an unatural amount of reverb. This remaster has no such effect. In fact this is a departure from most of the DSP mix's I've posted. It's not a new mix but an altered version of the original mix. Normally I use DSP's to generate a whole new mix. I used no DSP plugins here *. The source mix had effects applied in PreSonus Studio One Pro. No limiting or compression was applied.

A recent exchange with a certain resident audio expert with a lysergic nickname on IORR.ORG motivated me to go conservative with this project. It's from him I borrow the title "Gentle Remaster" (guess there's no better way to put it).

The low end on here is less dominant than on "Black Strap Jacket". There is EQ applied in conjunction with multi-band dynamics and the sound is slightly colored. The channels wer exchanged on "Love In Vain" * "You Can't Always Get What You Want" because the source had Keith and Mick Taylor flipped on these tracks. There were also a couple of areas where the bass was too prevalent on the source -- 2nd half of "Brown Sugar" and 1st half of "Bitch", those areas where adjusted.

* The second half of "Tumbling Dice" sounded like it was from a different source than the rest of the songs and had the majority of bass pushed to the right channel, so this portion was actually remixed into a seperate track using iZotope Ozone 5. A bass envelope was used in the streo module to push the bass (0-200Hz) to the center.

There was a separate DSP mix done and I'll probably post it soon. I wanted to put this one up first.

download here --> Gigasize

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 22:22 by Laughingsam.

Re: POST: LAUGHINGSAM'S MULTI-DSP-MIXES & REMASTERS (By request: ''Black Strap Jacket'' [Gentle Remaster] now available)
Date: March 3, 2012 12:35

Hi Joe, thanks for the Back Strap Jacket remaster so quick! thumbs up Are you aware there is about a 2-3 second silence after the first couple of seconds of most of the tracks starting also at the end of a few as well? I've removed them on Goldwave but just wanted to give you a heads up. How do you feel your new software worked out?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 12:37 by Paul Kersey.

Posted by: CaptainAcid ()
Date: March 3, 2012 13:50

Ha,ha,ha, alright now.grinning smiley I am downloading instantly and will be back with my impressions. I am real glad you are making this experiment with gentle mastering.
I have always thought that you have talent and a good ear for this remastering job, but that you are just over-doing it. And i have hoped that you yourself will eventually come to this. I mean me myself have gone through a similar phase. First few years and my old remasters ( that can unfortunately still be found on the net ) were done with lot`s of compression and maximizing. I was just impressed how things can get louder and "more clear", but that was a fake impression because as you have said, the longer you listen to such recording the more tiring experience it becomes.
But please consider Hotfile, Gigasize is just awful. I mean it`s o.k. if it is just one file to download, but for the second, you have to wait till tomorrow.

All the best
Captain smoking smiley

Posted by: CaptainAcid ()
Date: March 3, 2012 14:26

Hey man. It`s me again. I am listening right now and i really like it. It is much much better when you remaster this way. Please just keep on in the same direction. Maybe you could have cut high freq a bit down, and there is still a bit of that 'headache" frequency in the bass specter. The bottom line is do even less than this time, it`ll be even better.But this is quite an improvement in your remasters.
Cheers
Captain

Date: March 3, 2012 19:06

I compared Perth with Oh Boy fortified with my "iron fist remaster"
(dynamics + frequency levels) and with Morph38 (thanks God I didn't touch it).
Looking forward to hearing further results of your transformation from
"punchy" (which I love, e.g. Cow Palace'75) to "gentle" remaster,
nevertheless I hope that you will keep retaining the voice on the
surface as you used to (and what I love too).
Best,
Greg

Date: March 3, 2012 21:52

Paul Kersey
Are you aware there is about a 2-3 second silence after the first couple of seconds of most of the tracks starting also at the end of a few as well? I've removed them on Goldwave but just wanted to give you a heads up. How do you feel your new software worked out?

It looks like it produced quite a few errors. I fixed the silence parts -- throughout the entire recording -- and also took a resonant lowpass to the top end.

I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO PLEASE REDOWNLOAD BECAUSE THE FIRST POST CONTAINED ERRORS

Thanks for all the feedback, it's very helpful.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: March 3, 2012 22:13

thanks ...!

Date: March 4, 2012 00:44

gracias

-m.

Date: March 4, 2012 14:24

Hi Joe, thanks for the revised Back Strap Jacket! Any chance I could ask a favour? I don't know if Ive asked before but is there any chance you could do something with the Phoenix 81 (13/12/81) gig? Its my favourite show from that tour and find it hard to listen to the boots out there. It lacks any warmth or a natural feel. Any improvement would be very gratefully recieved..

Date: March 5, 2012 06:24

Paul, I remember trying with that show last year. The problem is it's a very (as you say) unnatural recording. The sound is metallic and poorly balanced. What is the best source of the show? I'll take a shot at it this week after I get my new monitor speakers delivered.

Date: March 5, 2012 12:36

Thanks Joe! I really appreciate anything you can do. The 3 sources I know of are: Satisfaction Guaranteed (VGP 136), Devils And Deserts (Godfather records) and Ride Like The Wind (Rattlesnake). I would say the Rattlesnake is slight better than the other 2..

Date: March 5, 2012 23:56

Your generous gift turned out to be like a cake behind a window pane - DOWNLOAD ERROR. I'm still dribbling over itconfused smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 17 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2109
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home