Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Rewind, Stone Age.....
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 21, 2008 12:53

not re-released by Virgin

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 21, 2008 14:29

Jocke
Why are these records so hard to find??

the compilations of post-1970 material were distributed by whichever label the Stones were with at the time (Atlantic, EMI, CBS) and then wouldnt have been reissued when the band changed labels. The new labels tended to have contractual rights to assemble their own 'new' compilations so I suppose they considered the older ones as superfluous (or even a case of saturating the market which would only be to the detriment of the newer releases). So, by the time they signed to Virgin in the early 90s (and then issued Jump Back on THAT label) there wasnt much demand for re-releases of old compilations, some of which had only been issued as vinyl/cassette in the pre-CD era

Virgin did eventually reissue & remaster "Sucking In the 70's" though about 3 years ago, which was originally just an American release from 1981. That album was unique from all the other compilations as it contained two tracks which had previously been unavailable (If I Was A Dancer and the live '78 'When the whip comes down') and "Everythings Turning To Gold" (previously only available as a 1978 US B-side). I think they also reissued Made In The Shade, for some reason.

there's plenty of other Decca compilations not mentioned in this thread which are also unavailable - 'Milestones' (issued around the same time as the US 'Hot Rocks' release) and 'Gimme Shelter' (one side of warhorses from 1968-69 and one side taken from the US only 'Got Live if You Want It' live album from 1966, and therefore previously unreleased in the UK).

The Decca compilations released after the band left the label werent issued on CD. The definitive and most successful of their Decca hits collections, "Rolled Gold" however, was reissued with several extra tracks and finally issued on CD in 2007 though

There were also two TV-advertised Stones compilations released in the UK - both double LPs. "Get Stoned" - a brilliantly packaged 30-song set released on the now defunct Arcade records in 1977 (the first Stones album I ever bought, incidentally) and "The Story of the Stones", which had a pretty similar track listing and which was released on K-Tel around 1982. Both are long deleted and were never available on CD, I would imagine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 14:31 by Gazza.

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: February 21, 2008 15:54

Gazza
Jocke
Why are these records so hard to find??

Virgin did eventually reissue & remaster "Sucking In the 70's" though about 3 years ago, which was originally just an American release from 1981.

I bought the "Sucking In The 70s"-LP in spring 1981 in Vienna ("Made in Germany" ) and I have "1981"-copies from all over the world. My oldest CD ("Made in Austria" ) comes from the 80s (I guess 86 or 87). Where have ya been my friend?? ")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 15:55 by silkcut1978.

Date: February 21, 2008 15:59

Ours were imports, as far as I remember, although it was easy to find. Then again, youre one of these collectors who gets every friggin' pressing. I'm not!

I notice that the only chart entries on wikipedia were in the US

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 21, 2008 16:00

kait
Rewind was released on CD, officially!!!!!!

And it must have happened twice. First time in 1984 or six and in 1990. It was reissued in 1990. I know this because I have a mini-cd single with Angie and Silvertrain on it. On the back it says CBS and 1990. Inside the sleeve of the mini-cd there's an ad for Rewind.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: February 21, 2008 16:17

Gazza
Then again, youre one of these collectors who gets every friggin' pressing.

sounds like critcism :-(

Date: February 21, 2008 17:47

Nope. Jealousy!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 21, 2008 18:06

I had the original issue of Sucking In The Seventies. I thought it was fantastic. And when the record came out on CD I made sure to get it (Tattoo You, Rewind, 70s, Made In The Shade and Elmotional Rescue were the first batch I got).

I held on to my CBS/Columbia/Sony whoever original CD record issue of 70s and gleefully bought the Virgin re-release.

As with the live albums those comps...think they had made them anyway and just waited? They're all the same remasters...

Jump Back came out in mid-late 1993 correct? To promote the remastered back catalog, which came out in early 1994? Wasn't No Security the end of their deal? And they signed again for another deal with Virgin? I know they haven't always stuck to the contract, like getting out of the Sony deal in 1993 to go to Virgin when they owed them, what, 1 more album or something.

Made In The Shade is...it will remain a cool comp but to get it now is redundant. I don't have it. I might get the stupid digipak if I ever see it used. But I got the 70s jewel. I just couldn't see getting the digipak version.

I guess in a sense Jump Back is the updated Rewind but it's not as good.

Undercover - I bought that record when it came out and there was not a lyric sheet with it.

Date: February 21, 2008 18:50

skipstone
Undercover - I bought that record when it came out and there was not a lyric sheet with it.

I might be wrong but I think for a long time lyric-sheets were only included within European releases. We had Black And Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo You, Undercover with lyrics and others as well while I remember that the US-counterparts had none. I always thought that's maybe because you english-speaking folks understand anyway what Jagger's singing while I always need a sheet to read it before I actually can listen AND understand his words.

Date: February 21, 2008 18:55

Gazza
Nope. Jealousy!

you're kidding me, aren't you? just went thru my collection - I only have 10 copies on Vinyl and maybe (didn't count them) about 15 on CD and another 10 on Cassette. That's not that much - don't ask me how much "Sticky Fingers" or "Exiles" I have around... ")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 18:55 by silkcut1978 aka smith.

Date: February 21, 2008 18:56

Holy shit - Black And Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo You, Undercover with lyrics? That's amazing!

Eh, Mick hasn't always been easy to understand. Just listen to Crazy Mama.

Date: February 21, 2008 19:00

skipstone
I had the original issue of Sucking In The Seventies. I thought it was fantastic. And when the record came out on CD I made sure to get it (Tattoo You, Rewind, 70s, Made In The Shade and Elmotional Rescue were the first batch I got).

I held on to my CBS/Columbia/Sony whoever original CD record issue of 70s and gleefully bought the Virgin re-release.

As with the live albums those comps...think they had made them anyway and just waited? They're all the same remasters...

Jump Back came out in mid-late 1993 correct? To promote the remastered back catalog, which came out in early 1994? Wasn't No Security the end of their deal? And they signed again for another deal with Virgin? I know they haven't always stuck to the contract, like getting out of the Sony deal in 1993 to go to Virgin when they owed them, what, 1 more album or something.

Made In The Shade is...it will remain a cool comp but to get it now is redundant. I don't have it. I might get the stupid digipak if I ever see it used. But I got the 70s jewel. I just couldn't see getting the digipak version.

I guess in a sense Jump Back is the updated Rewind but it's not as good.

there was on mine. I still have it. It came with an invite to join the fan club (which was basically an official recognition of Bill German's Beggars Banquet newsletter)

Jump Back was the first Virgin release - November 1993. Just before the reissues as you say.

They didnt leave Sony early. I think Rocky Dijon explained the Sony deal a while back..4 studio albums, which was to include Mick solo records - so, Sony got two of each.

The Virgin deal was for three studio albums (VL/BTB/ABcool smiley. Any live albums would be considered as 'options'. They only signed with Virgin one time, they didnt renew (as far as I can tell, the Stones have never renewed a contract since they left Decca. Theyve always looked for a new 'deal' each time their contract expired.

Date: February 21, 2008 19:01

Now imagine a poor old German-speaking guy and the problems I had with LPs like IORR & GHS, just to name two of em ")

But if you'd like to have them with the lyric-sheets you'll find the on Ebay.de, I'm sure. They were never and still aren't any rare.

Date: February 21, 2008 19:01

silkcut1978 aka smith
Gazza
Nope. Jealousy!

you're kidding me, aren't you? just went thru my collection - I only have 10 copies on Vinyl and maybe (didn't count them) about 15 on CD and another 10 on Cassette. That's not that much - don't ask me how much "Sticky Fingers" or "Exiles" I have around... ")

On second thoughts, maybe you're right. fair enough. You're a fúckin' lunatic. Its official!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 19:03 by Gazza.

Date: February 21, 2008 19:07

Gazza
On second thoughts, maybe you're right. fair enough. You're a fúckin' lunatic. Its official!

Even my son (10 yrs) is having every single rotten release from all over the world of Linkin Park's output - maybe there's something wrong within our small family but as long as we enjoy I don't fückin' care ")

Date: February 21, 2008 19:38

Uhhhmmm, yeah indeed there is something wrong. Linkin Park?

Where is your Quality Control?

Date: February 21, 2008 19:48

I'm getting used to listen to LPark and while it was boring at the beginning I've learned to like a few "songs"...but don't tell nobody!!

But, yeah, something went wrong - he came along with me in 2003 for 2 shows when he was nearly 6 years old and then again last year but he's not THAT fanatic anymore to say the least - to each his own...

Date: February 21, 2008 22:30

Linkin Park - Adidas rock. YAWN

Posted by: kait ()
Date: February 22, 2008 15:44

JumpingKentFlash
kait
Rewind was released on CD, officially!!!!!!

And it must have happened twice. First time in 1984 or six and in 1990. It was reissued in 1990. I know this because I have a mini-cd single with Angie and Silvertrain on it. On the back it says CBS and 1990. Inside the sleeve of the mini-cd there's an ad for Rewind.

first release (RSR-Atlantic 90176-2) was in 1984 (same tracks as on vinyl)
second release (RSR-CBS 450199 2 & RSR-COLUMBIA CK 40505) was in Nov/Dec 1986 (with 2 bonus tracks: IORR & Heartbreaker) this is the one in my collection.
i can't find any re-release from 1990, but i have the japanese 3"single-cd with Angie and Silver Train and there is a jump back-ad on the backcover.

Date: February 22, 2008 18:35

Rewind was only issued once. They wouldn't just reissue one album.

Jump Back was finally issued in the States in, what, 2005? 8 years after it came out in the UK! After Forty Licks!

AND IT STILL MADE THE BILLBOARD TOP 200!

I forget what thread it was but I had asked something about how Bang sold world wide and in the States and it's in line with Undercover and Dirty Work or whatever and they pointed out that those two didn't have tours...so it's chuckly giggly to say that they wouldn't have sold any better with a tour since Bang sold so weakly...

Posted by: kait ()
Date: February 22, 2008 21:52

skipstone
Rewind was only issued once.

Both release dates are from Felix Aeppli's "The Ultimate Guide",
if you want more infos feel free to ask cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-22 21:55 by kait.

Date: February 22, 2008 22:16

skipstone

Jump Back was finally issued in the States in, what, 2005? 8 years after it came out in the UK! After Forty Licks!

I forget what thread it was but I had asked something about how Bang sold world wide and in the States and it's in line with Undercover and Dirty Work or whatever and they pointed out that those two didn't have tours...so it's chuckly giggly to say that they wouldn't have sold any better with a tour since Bang sold so weakly...

Cant see how you make that out. Back then the point of a tour was to promote a new record. An album with a tour behind it will sell better than an album which doesnt have a tour. Stands to sense. Had they toured behind Undercover and Dirty Work, those albums would have sold considerably more than they did. Likewise, had they NOT toured behind ABB it would have absolutely tanked compared to every other studio album theyve put out.

Think you're simply ignoring the fact that album sales in general in the download era have dropped dramatically for everyone..and with the Stones basically admitting theyre a nostalgia act now by NOT hardly playing any new songs when they tour, its going to have a detrimental effect on the sales of any new release. That, plus the fact that their new material doesnt get airplay which wasnt the case 10,20 or 30 years ago. Stones albums dont sell anywhere near as well as they did in the late 70s/early 80's, which was the period they sold more than at any other time.

Jump Back was released in the UK in 1993 - 12 years before the US. I wouldnt get too excited about a Stones release managing to make the top 200. If a band as big as the Stones are touring to a couple of million people in the US, its hardly a major achievement lets face it. If they were to release an album of the band farting , it should still have been capable of a decent chart position with the amount of publicity they get.

And Rewind WAS issued twice. By both Atlantic and CBS. Kait has even provided the catalogue numbers above.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-22 22:18 by Gazza.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 22, 2008 22:27

skipstone

Not only made the Top 200, it debuted at #30 and it stayed on the top 200 during 58 weeks. The import version of Jump Back sold 260,000 copies in U.S until August 2004, the 2004 version has sold 1.100,000 copies so far.

Date: February 22, 2008 22:33

A lot of money to made in nostalgia, eh George?

I'm sure Mick couldnt believe it when he saw how well the reissue of "Rolled Gold" did too.

You have to wonder who these people are who are discovering this music for the first time and buying their first compilation?

Doesnt exactly augur well for the Stones being inspired to create new music, unfortunately.

Date: February 23, 2008 03:08

Issued once...uh. Vinyl and then on CD. Each one once. OK so it was issued twice.

Once in the two major...were the cassette issues different as well? Didn't see.

Jump Back was available as an import in the States in 1993. 12 years or whatever later it made the Billboard Top 200. That's pretty good for an 'old' album of hits that was intended to promote the remastered reissues over a decade ago not too long after a career spanning double LP greatest hits album came out with a majority of the same songs on it, at least as far as disc 2 goes.

I bought the import. I'm guessing the 'new' version is exactly the same, with the same screw ups with the publishing, etc...

Date: February 23, 2008 03:14

Oh. No. The point was the irony of them not touring Undercover and Dirty Work and how they sold and then having toured Bang and how it sold. Yeah I know sales are down. I still firmly believe if people had not only had more exposure to the songs on the record - like a good first single - they had ONE but they put out two and only one was good, a good second single - Rain Fall Down (and then Biggest Mistake even!) was a terrible choice I think...but also if they had played more of the new tunes live it would have sold better.

So it's funny that it didn't sell any better than those 80s LPs.

Ugh. Box set, tour it, call it quits. It would seem fitting if A Bigger Bang was their last studio album. They're gonna be almost 70 by the time they actually get around to making another record.

Posted by: turnersmemo ()
Date: February 23, 2008 12:49

Stone Age was released in 1971 and was the first in a series of rather shoddily constructed compilations recycling their 1960s catalog, often including a few rarities to ensure interest.

Tracks:
01. Look What You've Done
02. It's All Over Now
03. Confessin' The Blues
04. One More Try
05. As Tears Go By
06. The Spider And The Fly
07. My Girl
08. Paint It Black
09. If You Need Me
10. The Last Time
11. Blue Turns To Grey
12. Around And Around

The tracks are mostly from 1964-1966 and includes four that had until then not been released in the UK: "One More Try", "Blue Turns to Grey", "Look What You Have " and "My Girl". plus the B-side "The Spider and the Fly." Other tracks were taken from early EPs and albums. It reached #4 in the U.K charts.

I bought a cheap reissue of this album in the early eighties when there literally where hundreds of Stones Decca LPs on the market.

Stone Age has never been officially released on CD but here are plenty of bootlegs available, often with bonus tracks like this one: [www.amazon.com] .

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: February 23, 2008 23:41

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: February 23, 2008 23:44

Date: February 23, 2008 23:49

'The import version of Jump Back sold 260,000 copies in U.S until August 2004, the 2004 version has sold 1.100,000 copies so far.'

Either way Virgin made a ton of money off this record. It just blows my mind that it's got almost the same songs on it that Licks had and it sold so many. That's just crazy. And proof that people will buy anything with Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Miss You, Beast Of Burden and Angie on it. I doubt anyone in their right mind would buy such a comp because it has Undercover Of The Night, Respectable and Mixed Emotions on it...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1330
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home