Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Rewind, Stone Age.....
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 24, 2008 00:37

Time Waits For No One

A hastily put-together mish-mash compilation album of Stones songs is released. Time Waits For No-One is the last LP under the Rolling Stones Records distribution deal with the WEA label.

From rollingstones.com

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 24, 2008 00:48

Time Waits For No One seems like a mish-mash compilation to me as well. Strange that they went for that coverwork, as it's so obvious punkstyle. Made In The Shade was a much better effort I'd say - the songs flow nicely, and the cover/title is great.

Date: February 24, 2008 00:55

I like both of them.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 24, 2008 12:12

kait
JumpingKentFlash
kait
Rewind was released on CD, officially!!!!!!

And it must have happened twice. First time in 1984 or six and in 1990. It was reissued in 1990. I know this because I have a mini-cd single with Angie and Silvertrain on it. On the back it says CBS and 1990. Inside the sleeve of the mini-cd there's an ad for Rewind.

first release (RSR-Atlantic 90176-2) was in 1984 (same tracks as on vinyl)
second release (RSR-CBS 450199 2 & RSR-COLUMBIA CK 40505) was in Nov/Dec 1986 (with 2 bonus tracks: IORR & Heartbreaker) this is the one in my collection.
i can't find any re-release from 1990, but i have the japanese 3"single-cd with Angie and Silver Train and there is a jump back-ad on the backcover.

There's a promo version of this single-CD too. It has one more track. I think it was Heartbreaker.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: February 24, 2008 13:47

The release of Stone Age ,Milestones ,Rock m' Rolling Stones,No Stone Unturned and Gimme Shelter was an attempt by Decca/Klein to cash in on the success of Sticky Fingers album and in the case of GS the movie of the same name that came out around that time.
As Gazza has explained so well already earlier in the thread.
At the time I thought only No Stone Unturned was the only one of any interest to me as it brought together some of the better b sides of singles and EP'S , these days we are quite lucky in some respects as most stuff is already on albums ,but back in the early years here in Britain singles were released as separate issues by The Rolling Stones up until Sticky Fingers and therefore even a non Stones sanctioned album that gave you the b sides was worth having.
Over the years of course I have gathered most things that are around officially or otherwise , haven't got round to the re- released Rolled Gold yet but no doubt I will come across it sometime at an irresistible price in the future.
While we are on about compilations a thought occurs to me , why doesnt High Wire appear on Jump Back or Forty Licks , it might not have been one of their very best sellers it it did sell reasonably well and charted quite high , do they perhaps think it too political, after all it's not a bad song

Posted by: Jocke ()
Date: February 24, 2008 15:08

Time Waits For No One looks like a great album I think.....

Posted by: kait ()
Date: February 24, 2008 15:29

adotulipson
The release of Stone Age ,Milestones ,Rock m' Rolling Stones,No Stone Unturned and Gimme Shelter was an attempt by Decca/Klein to cash in on the success of Sticky Fingers album and in the case of GS the movie of the same name that came out around that time.
As Gazza has explained so well already earlier in the thread.
At the time I thought only No Stone Unturned was the only one of any interest to me as it brought together some of the better b sides of singles and EP'S , these days we are quite lucky in some respects as most stuff is already on albums ,but back in the early years here in Britain singles were released as separate issues by The Rolling Stones up until Sticky Fingers and therefore even a non Stones sanctioned album that gave you the b sides was worth having.
Over the years of course I have gathered most things that are around officially or otherwise , haven't got round to the re- released Rolled Gold yet but no doubt I will come across it sometime at an irresistible price in the future.
While we are on about compilations a thought occurs to me , why doesnt High Wire appear on Jump Back or Forty Licks , it might not have been one of their very best sellers it it did sell reasonably well and charted quite high , do they perhaps think it too political, after all it's not a bad song

Highwire should be on the "rarities"-release instead of [fill in]

Date: February 25, 2008 01:07

Ah, I'm guessing Anybody Seen My Baby? was a bigger hit than Highwire and that's why it's not on Licks. I do think it should have been on there though.

Although it's unfortunate that Undercover Of The Night was on Licks instead of something better, like She's So Cold or Heartbreaker or One Hit, at least one of their worst songs EVER - Rock And A Hard Place - was left off in favour of Mixed Emotions.

Perhaps they should have just only had Don't Stop on there as something new and left the other 3 tracks for better or popular tracks from the past, like, gee, those three I just mentioned...and had the other 3 tracks be the @#$%&*ing B-sides for Don't Stop.

Seeing that they never played any of those three tunes on the tour.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 25, 2008 01:57

Since they´re all official releases, warts and all, they should be collected in any shape or form smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: February 26, 2008 03:41

'Official releases'? It's one thing to finish out a contract - or start one up - with a comp. It's another have them released against your will. Hence a vast majority of ABKCO's compilation releases over the years. As much as I loved Hot Rocks etc...the only two ABKCO hits comps I'll ever get - if I do get them again - will be Big Hits and Through The Past. I have Forty Licks as it is. I see no reason to get anything after TTP,D personally. I bought the vinyl editions and the first CD editions of Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks long before I knew that the Stones were not a part of their release.

On the other hand, they do exist and they are cool as shit comps and me not buying them has no effect whatsoever on whether they exist or not so who knows. But if I get all the UK albums plus the standard same UK/US releases...do I really need the comps then? Hell, my girlfriend bought the new Hot Rocks so...I dunno. I guess it's like the anti-Wal Mart thing. I'm not for them at all...but I have been to 3 of them across the country (as well as 2 Sam's Clubs. With both it was mostly because of my post-Katrina no where else to go really at the time living on a Red Cross and Music Cares budget and having hitched a ride for reasons the rest of the nation knows about).

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 27, 2008 17:53

skipstone
Time Waits For No One

A hastily put-together mish-mash compilation album of Stones songs is released. Time Waits For No-One is the last LP under the Rolling Stones Records distribution deal with the WEA label.

From rollingstones.com

This may well be true but it's a little known fact that the title track is actually longer (6:44) than the version on IORR (6:30) due to an extended fade out on Charlie's drums.
It was featured on disc 2 of Mickboy's "Short and Curlies" remaster which you can download from edmund's post here:

[www.iorr.org]

It appears that the FLAC is still available but the link to the mp3 seems to have died.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: February 27, 2008 18:02

Oh wow! It's an even longer fade out on TWFNO? Is it a longer intro as well or just the fade out alone? I love that they did different mixes for each side of the ocean as well as different edits.

Ha ha! That's cool.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 27, 2008 20:41

14 additional seconds of the tapping percussion that reappears on Feel On, Baby and the Saber Final Mix of Out of Control? Sheer bliss.

Date: February 27, 2008 20:46

On vinyl? I don't recall any difference between the vinyl Undercover record and the CD Undercover record. But I'll take your word for it.

Saber Final Mix of Out Of Control? What is that? I only ever saw the one single, the edit, some stupid trip hop bullshit version and the LP version.

Date: February 27, 2008 20:55

skipstone
Is it a longer intro as well or just the fade out alone
To the best of my ears it's exactly the same apart from the extended fade out.
Quite probably a mistake but it does make it a genuine "rarity".

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 27, 2008 21:20

Sorry to mislead you, Skipstone. I wasn't trying to imply that the viny Feel On, Baby was longer than the CD. I meant the percussive coda to Feel On, Baby and the percussive coda to the Saber Final Mix of Out of Control (CD single only) are identical to the percussive coda on Time Waits For No One.

Personally, I can't imagine another 14 seconds at the end of Time Waits For No One and may have to download the MickBoy track to hear it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 21:23

As ludicrous as these comp's may be, the completist in me wants to see em on CD!! LOL

Date: February 28, 2008 19:21

I wish TWFNO was on CD because I'd buy it - complete the discog, etc...yet alone the fact that it's just fuc*king COOL!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: February 28, 2008 19:55

Rewind has two different sets of songs, one for UK and another one for US:

UK has these songs, 12 songs

Brown Sugar
Undercover
Start Me Up
Tumbling Diec
IORR
She's So Cold
Miss You
Beast Of Burden
Fool To Cry
Waiting On A Friend
Angie
Respectable

US version has these songs on it: total 11 songs
Miss You
Brown Sugar
Undercover
Start Me Up
Tumbling Diec
Hang Fire
Emotional Rescue
Beast Of Burden
Fool To Cry
Waiting On A Friend
Angie

Then again the CD, CBS 450199 2, Made In Austria 1984 has even 13 songs on it. Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker is on the CD but not on any of the vinyls. So to get a good collection of Rewind, you need both UK vinyl, US vinyl and Austrian CD

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: February 28, 2008 20:37

Jan Richards
Then again the CD, CBS 450199 2, Made In Austria 1984 has even 13 songs on it. Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker is on the CD but not on any of the vinyls. So to get a good collection of Rewind, you need both UK vinyl, US vinyl and Austrian CD

The CD also has "It's Only Rock and Roll" on it which also doesn't seem to be on the US vinyl - shurely shome mishtake?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-28 20:38 by Deltics.

Date: February 28, 2008 20:40

Then again the CD, CBS 450199 2, Made In Austria 1984 has even 13 songs on it. Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker is on the CD but not on any of the vinyls. So to get a good collection of Rewind, you need both UK vinyl, US vinyl and Austrian CD[/quote

13 songs on the US and canadian CD:s as well.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: February 29, 2008 00:00

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha.....

If I were to make up my own version (nice Sharpie action for the label too) of Rewind it would be a combo of the two, at least like this first off:

Miss You
Brown Sugar
Undercover Of The Night
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Hang Fire
She's So Cold
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Emotional Rescue
Beast Of Burden
Fool To Cry
Waiting On A Friend
Angie

OK then you take some of the other comps over those years and add in some of those cool tracks:

Miss You
Brown Sugar
Undercover Of The Night
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Hang Fire
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
She's So Cold
Shattered
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Emotional Rescue
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Beast Of Burden
Fool To Cry
Waiting On A Friend
Angie

And so....see, when Forty Licks came out, I came up with another 20 of the 1971-1997 catalog to make it a full blown Rolling Stones Records/Virgin Records greatest hits including Don't Stop and Highwire (while losing the other 3 new Licks tunes). It was pretty cool.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 29, 2008 00:12

The Canadian CD and cassette were like the US versions - with the addition of Heartbreaker after Angie.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 29, 2008 06:17

jamesfdouglas
The Canadian CD and cassette were like the US versions - with the addition of Heartbreaker after Angie.
My canadian CD has Doo Doo...after Angie.
The tracklist on my US and canadian CD are exactly the same, only difference is on the discs, one has a black tongue, the other red. Strange.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: February 29, 2008 09:23

A small correction on the issue date for the Austrian CD to my earlier post:

The CBS 450199 2 was out in 1989 and it was part of the "Nice Price from CBS" set

The US and Canada CD's CK40505 were issued in November of 1986. IORR and Heartbreaker are bonus compared to the US and Canada vinyls

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-29 09:31 by Jan Richards.

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: February 29, 2008 09:44

There was an Austrian Rewind release in 1986 as well - before the "Nice price"-series. The Nice-price ones were actually the first re-releases of the 71-84 stuff. 1990 saw the 2nd re-release including the Urban Jungle stickers.

I think in Japan Rewind was released in 1984 and so it was the first country having it on CD. Undercover was released as well in Japan. I remember I bought my copy in 1984 long before I had my first CD-player and I also heard rumours that Tattoo You was released in 1983 but I've never seen it.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 1, 2008 00:38

mickijaggeroo
jamesfdouglas
The tracklist on my US and canadian CD are exactly the same, only difference is on the discs, one has a black tongue, the other red. Strange.

I was just going by what someone posted earlier here US tracklist wise. They didn't include Heartbreaker. (you say Doo Doo, I say Heartbreaker) winking smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 1, 2008 01:43

jamesfdouglas
mickijaggeroo
jamesfdouglas

I was just going by what someone posted earlier here US tracklist wise. They didn't include Heartbreaker. (you say Doo Doo, I say Heartbreaker) winking smiley

I´ll stick to Doo Doo, as that is what is says on my CD:s.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: March 13, 2008 12:50

john r
Rewind (1984) was the last lp in the Stones' Atlantic contract, and as I recall (I have the US version - haven't played it in years) aside from a nice cover (Bill w/ Standup bass) from one of the Undercover videos, had nothing of interest - hit singles 1971 - 84.
"Dirty Work" (1986) was the first Stones album for Sony/Columbia, preceded by Mick Jagger's solo debut "She's the Boss" (1985). The Stones were only at Sony through "Flashpoint" (1991), after which they signed to Virgin (debuting with "Voodoo Lounnge"), who reissued remastered versions of the 1971 - 91 catalog beginning in '94, with some titles (the live albums, 'Jamming With Edward') not issued til a couple years later.

are you saying she's the boss was a sony/columbia release? as far as i know mick jaggers first 3 solo albums (shes the boss, primitive cool, wanderiing spirit) are all atlantic releases

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: March 13, 2008 13:27

Have a look also on www.netsounds.com. I've bought some great Stones items on there.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1405
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home