Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

question about Gimme Shelter DVD
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 11, 2008 01:15

In the bonus footage, when they are in the studio, mixing Little Queenie, is that Glyn Johns who is trying to work while Mick is humping the back of his chair? Or is that someone else?

I was watching that scene the other day with the missus.

tatters: That looks a little gay.
mrs tatters: That looks a LOT gay.

Re: question about Gimme Shelter DVD
Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: March 11, 2008 12:34

has anyone noticed that, in the Criteorion collection edtion of Gimme Shelter the footage of Carol (in the additional material section) on the VHS tape version is a different performance to the DVD???

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 11, 2008 13:04

tatters
In the bonus footage, when they are in the studio, mixing Little Queenie, is that Glyn Johns who is trying to work while Mick is humping the back of his chair? Or is that someone else?

It's not Glyn, it's someone else, Keith Harwood!?

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 11, 2008 13:57

Haven't seen this for a long time but maybe Andy Johns? Didn't he have some involvement with this album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-11 13:58 by terraplane.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 12, 2008 02:38

hey ya know mick played a pretty fair guitar in 69, i was impressed with his backstage playing with Ikes axe, always thought he learned the guitar a bit later on in the 70s

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 12, 2008 05:51

He couldn't have learned how to play the guitar in the 1970s if he wrote Brown Sugar in 1969 and Sympathy in 1968 etc...

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 12, 2008 06:04

It's Glyn Johns. There is no (legitimate) VHS version of GS with "Carol" (certainly not the Criterion edition -- they don't do VHS).

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: March 12, 2008 14:14

Glam Descendant
It's Glyn Johns. There is no (legitimate) VHS version of GS with "Carol" (certainly not the Criterion edition -- they don't do VHS).

It is definitely a legitimate VHS release that I purchased in Australia in 1999 or 2000. It has the same additional footage as the Criterion DVD (which I purchased a few years later), but it has a different live performance of Carol to the one on the DVD. Has anyone else seen this different VHS version???

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 12, 2008 17:25

I thought the question in here would be why is this single 'criterion' dvd so #$%&ing expensive.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 12, 2008 18:11

quote, he wrote sympathy and brown sugar so he couldnt have learned guitar in the 70s

HUH?????, yeah i know he strummed along on sympathy in the movie, but that wasnt really playing now was it, he also co wrote everything from under my thumb to ruby tuesday and he didnt play guitar on those either so whats your point

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-12 18:17 by melillo.

Date: March 12, 2008 21:29

Damn, it appears this clip has been removed from youtube!?

Date: March 12, 2008 22:06

Glam Descendant
It's Glyn Johns.

Guess it must be as noone else is credited with mixing etc.

Bt the way, where exactly is this mixing session taking place? Sunset Sound!?

Date: March 13, 2008 01:25

jamesfdouglas
I thought the question in here would be why is this single 'criterion' dvd so #$%&ing expensive.

That IS a good question. Why does it sell for around $39.95 when, just for comparison, you can pick up the four hour director's cut of Woodstock for around $19.95?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 13, 2008 02:10

I think it's Andy Johns at the board, not Glyn helping mix Queenie with Mick, Keith, and Stu. I love that footage. Wish there was more!

Date: March 13, 2008 03:45

filstan
I think it's Andy Johns at the board, not Glyn helping mix Queenie with Mick, Keith, and Stu. I love that footage. Wish there was more!

The reason I think you might be right is that Glyn was 28 years old in 1970, and the guy in the film looks younger than Mick, who was only 26 at the time, and Andy, of course, is Glyn's younger brother.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 13, 2008 04:02

I'm not really sure, just a guess based on the fact he was involved with mixing the album. I am sure someone will get it right.

Date: March 13, 2008 07:06

Criterion is a premium DVD label -- they're sort of the Mobile Fidelity of DVDs (but better really). They invest alot in the preservation, restoration and presentation of the films, cleaning up the image & sound, tracking down archival footage for bonuses, providing top-notch essays, etc. They are more expensive because they are *worth* more. The book that comes with GS is massive, much more than you'll find in any standard DVD. If you wanted a cheaper product, it would look and sound cheaper.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 13, 2008 13:01

melillo
quote, he wrote sympathy and brown sugar so he couldnt have learned guitar in the 70s

HUH?????, yeah i know he strummed along on sympathy in the movie, but that wasnt really playing now was it, he also co wrote everything from under my thumb to ruby tuesday and he didnt play guitar on those either so whats your point

He played on Sway. (And does a good job of it too).

Date: March 13, 2008 15:41

Glam Descendant
Criterion is a premium DVD label -- they're sort of the Mobile Fidelity of DVDs (but better really). They invest alot in the preservation, restoration and presentation of the films, cleaning up the image & sound, tracking down archival footage for bonuses, providing top-notch essays, etc. They are more expensive because they are *worth* more. The book that comes with GS is massive, much more than you'll find in any standard DVD. If you wanted a cheaper product, it would look and sound cheaper.

But doesn't Abkco get a piece, too? Wouldn't that also have something to do with the high price?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 13, 2008 15:50

We'll probably see Gimme Shelter on Blu-Ray DVD sometime soon. On the Criterion website they say that they won't use new formats before the "war" is over. But when one format has won "Expect us to be there". We know that Blu-Ray has won the war, but it's not up there yet. It still needs to define itself. So here's to a future release of Gimme Shelter on Blu-Ray DVD (And I have a Blu-Ray DVD player so YAY).

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 13, 2008 16:06

Wonder what they'd charge for a blue-ray. 99.99?

See, here in Canada, it's not 39.99 - it's 52.99.
For a single regular DVD - that's just wrong, wrong, wrong.
No single DVD is worth that.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 13, 2008 16:15

jamesfdouglas
Wonder what they'd charge for a blue-ray. 99.99?

See, here in Canada, it's not 39.99 - it's 52.99.
For a single regular DVD - that's just wrong, wrong, wrong.
No single DVD is worth that.

Yeah, it's wrong, but they also know that if there was ever a rock and roll film that was worth owning and watching over and over again, this is the one. 40 buck for a movie you'll watch 10 times is still a better deal than 20 bucks for a movie you'll watch once or twice.

Date: March 13, 2008 18:09

Roll73
melillo

He played on Sway. (And does a good job of it too).

yeah i know, and ?? I already said i was impressed with his backstage 69 stuff

Date: March 13, 2008 20:10

Still, tatters... - it's a rip-off.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 13, 2008 23:59

No, it's not. Thank God they invested the care, time and attention they did to the film -- it needed it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home