Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: St. Marks Place & The East Village
Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 6, 2008 09:05

interesting bit about those Replacements lyrics, ohno... I've listened to that song probably 500 times and could never figure out that line. Although I don't know how accurate that version is--I'm pretty sure it's "Box Tops video," for example.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 6, 2008 09:06

deadegad
Yes the area still has youthful vitality, but has changed and been cleaned up a bit.

it's just been swallowed up by the NYU expansion, that's why it still seems youthful. A tourist attraction for newcomers to the city, basically.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 6, 2008 12:26

The best record shop in NYC is right there too, Rocket Scientist.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 6, 2008 15:46

Lots of Lou Reed/Velvet Underground history in that part of the city. I think of them, more than I think of the Stones, when I'm in that neighborhood.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 6, 2008 20:29

Does anyone know why the Stones used the same doorway on St Marks that Led Zep had? Seems unlikely that it was just a coincidence...

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: September 6, 2008 20:43

I remember when people called it Alphabet City and not the East Village. Gentrification killed the neighborhood.

Living most of my life in NYC....it's a place I don't recognize anymore.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 7, 2008 00:37

cc
interesting bit about those Replacements lyrics, ohno... I've listened to that song probably 500 times and could never figure out that line. Although I don't know how accurate that version is--I'm pretty sure it's "Box Tops video," for example.

I've always seen it the way it was written above (I thought it was some kind of poetic license/nonsense type phrase), but "Box Tops video" does make a lot more sense.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: September 7, 2008 02:47

Funny..I was on St Marks last night. One of my fav Japanese joints is at 3rd and St Marks, called Yakitori Taisho. Right across from Trash Vaudville. Try the Tuna Tartare.

Date: September 7, 2008 02:56

Bingo
I remember when people called it Alphabet City and not the East Village. Gentrification killed the neighborhood.

Yeah... There's also fewer immigrant Eastern European families left who haven't been squeezed out of the neighborhood that they've traditionally shared with hippies and freaks and yuppies over the years. When I lived there I wondered about those immigrant families. (I was a regular at Leshko's and Odessa for years.) Everyone coexisted in that neighborhood, but the Polish and Ukranian folk were the ones who had been there for years and through generations.

Weren't both the terms "Alphabet City" and "East Village" basically nicknames -- as opposed to official Manhattan neighborhoods like "Greenwich Village" or "Upper West Side" or "Murray Hill"? When I came to NYC in 1979, I think the official designation on maps for everything on the east side of Manhattan north of Little Italy and Chinatown up to 14th and east of the Village was just "Lower East Side".

It seemed that the terms "Alphabet City" and "East Village" were the inventions of realtors in the area when rental properties in that area got real hot in the 80's to differentiate these areas from the rest of the Lower East Side. "East Village" had more snob appeal in 80s apartment ads than "Lower East Side" because it borrowed from adjacent Greenwich Village. "Alphabet City" was the realtors' polite term to yuppy-artist pioneers who ventured farther east than First Avenue when the rents began to go up, up, up. When East Village gentrification (the 80's version) spread to Avenue A --- then to Avenues B,C, and D -- it was again in realtors' West-Village-finacial interest to start call everything "East Village".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-07 03:52 by schillid.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 7, 2008 03:43

My favorite club in St Marks Place way back then:

Electric Circus (nightclub)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Electric Circus was a famous American nightclub open between 1967 and September 1971 in downtown Manhattan's East Village at 19-25 St. Marks Place between Second and Third Avenues. With its invitation (from one of its press releases) to "play games, dress as you like, dance, sit, think, tune in and turn on," and its mix of light shows, music, circus performers and experimental theater, the Electric Circus embodied the wild and creative side of 1960s club culture.

Flame throwing jugglers and trapeze artists performed between musical sets, strobe lights flashed over a huge dance floor, and multiple projectors flashed images and footage from home movies. Seating was varied, with sofas provided. The Electric Circus became "New York's ultimate mixed-media pleasure dome, and its hallucinogenic light baths enthralled every sector of New York society." [1] Its hedonistic atmosphere also influenced the later rise of disco culture and discotheques.

Experimental bands such as The Velvet Underground, jam bands such as The Grateful Dead and early composers of electronic music (Terry Riley and Morton Subotnick), played at the Electric Circus. As well, bands played there before they were famous, such as Raven (U.S. band) and "Soft White Underbelly" before it became known as "Blue Öyster Cult."

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: September 7, 2008 05:27

deadegad
As a New Yorker I knew the area by reputation, in person from 1991 to present, and had been to the bar where our boyos played.

I even worked as a bartender nearby at a place -- or armpit -- called Downtown Beirut. It was truly a dump!

Yes the area still has youthful vitality, but has changed and been cleaned up a bit.

I used to love the original Village Idiot, next door to Downtown Beirut. It was a GREAT country dive. On eof the bartenders there, Lilliana, saved up her tip money and opened the Coyote Ugly right acxross the street, which was also a great bat until the movie came out and then it became a tourist attraction. Ialso spent many a night listening to some goo dmusic in the St. Marks Bar and Grill (did they actually serve food??) hoping the boys might come back for a visit and play a few tunes in front of their mural...

Date: September 7, 2008 05:40

Well, this is a good reason to re-post these:

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 7, 2008 14:05

Great pix Schillid. Did you take them?

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: September 7, 2008 23:32

As I recall that video was shot on July 4th 1980 or '81 a rather hot Friday evening because as the NY Post put it the city was empty for the long Holiday weekend.

Great photos

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-07 23:34 by Sam Spade.

Date: September 8, 2008 02:12

Silver Dagger
Great pix Schillid. Did you take them?

Yes...
Look here if you want it.

(The thread that I linked to above is from a few years back... I just looked at the thread now... It looks as if I ignored Rockman's question in the very last post of the thread... which was not the case. I just answered him in a different thread on the same day. I hope that the R-man recalls that too...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-08 03:12 by schillid.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: September 8, 2008 03:08

GREAT PICS!!!!!!!

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 8, 2008 03:12

Great pictures Schillid,one question, someone may know? on the second to last picture the guy talking to the girl in white. He looks a lot like Spanish Tony,
was that guy with the band that day? if you remenber..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: September 8, 2008 03:37

Notice the girls that Bill is eyeing in the last shot. Two of them can be see walking by Mick and the three home boys on the stoop at around 1:30 of the video... The blonde on the left in white and the seated brunette in red.

Of the three, I wonder which chick (or chicks) Bill ended up with after the video shoot.

ps
I recently found the best Youtube posting of "Waiting On A Friend" that I've seen. They've disabled the embedding of the video... but you can watch it by pasting http:REMOVETHIS//www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0NYKWLMgx0 into your browser.

Date: September 8, 2008 04:10

ROPENI
on the second to last picture the guy talking to the girl in white...was that guy with the band that day? if you remenber..

Three security /bodyguards that day. You can see the three in various shots, including the guy you're asking about. If I remember, one of the three bodyguards (the bald guy) is sitting on a stool next to the door inside the bar as Mick and Keith enter. (This was only 8 or 9 months after John Lennon's murder uptown...)

I have one or two shots that weren't so good & I didn't scan them. In one of those shots, that same guy is looking mean and straight at me through my camera lens with total annoyance and disgust -- at what he must have looked at as a rabid, annoying, star-struck fan with the 35mm FLASH!FLASH!FLASH!FLASH!

The Rolling Stones and New York
Posted by: basti ()
Date: July 15, 2020 01:08

Hallo everybody

I search pictures

- from the original Setlist (beacon Theatre, Madison Square Garden
- from Stones advertising on New Yorks building (Time Square, Garden, Beacon, Radio City Music Hall)
- everything from the Stones and New York

thanks

basti

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 18:38 by bv.

Re: Stones pictures NY
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 15, 2020 01:30

Beacon Theatre #1, 29-Oct-2006:

[ListsOPlenty.com]

Date: July 15, 2020 01:35

[iorr.org]

[iorr.org]

[RandolphMase.Wordpress.com]

[www.Collectors.com] -- Postponement: Wikipedia.org · [iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 02:05 by Irix.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 15, 2020 01:49

Irix
Beacon Theatre #1, 29-Oct-2006:

[ListsOPlenty.com]

Wow - BV played on a lot of songs smoking smiley

Date: July 15, 2020 17:55

New York, Fifth Avenue, 1-May-1975:

[www.SohoBlues.com] · [50Licks.Wordpress.com]

[Twitter.com]

[BestClassicBands.com] · Large picture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 18:40 by Irix.

Re: The Rolling Stones and New York
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 15, 2020 19:04

The Stones have played Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo. That's New York to me.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: July 15, 2020 19:21

Cool photo, don't recall seeing Stu on the flatbed. Irix, thanks for posting

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: July 15, 2020 20:12

Yeah. See my pic close to Albert Maysles in the middle beacon picture-no not the guy in the red shirt. Everyone had to sign a waiver. Fun day. Had no ticket but got in by showtime!! Great show no matter what anybody says!!!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 15, 2020 20:16

Read the book “Can’t Give It Away On Seventh Avenue”...it’s a well written and researched look at the entire history of the Stones and NYC

Posted by: esqcjh ()
Date: July 15, 2020 21:03

I found some images on line for the tour announcement mini show at Lincoln Center/Julliard May 10, 2005

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: July 15, 2020 22:34

esqcjh
I found some images on line for the tour announcement mini show at Lincoln Center/Julliard May 10, 2005

I was there.
Link please?
thx

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2282
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home